Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
    Walt Disney World
    Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
    1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
    2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

I hate to be "don't change the classics" guy, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this. I love the Jungle Cruise and would really miss some of my favorite jokes. I understand that some people may think this ride is a bit long in the tooth, but the things that make it dated are why I love it.

Comment

I’m keeping an optimistic opinion for now that the changes will not impact the heart and soul of the attraction. I anticipated this was coming back when Splash Mtn’s changes were announced. The angle they are teasing sounds interesting and could have potential for some good humor.
      Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
      Walt Disney World
      Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

I love this ride but welcome the changes. I appreciate the addition of a more coherent (albeit thin and silly) narrative and the reworking of the more problematic vignettes in the ride. Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
          I’m keeping an optimistic opinion for now that the changes will not impact the heart and soul of the attraction. I anticipated this was coming back when Splash Mtn’s changes were announced. The angle they are teasing sounds interesting and could have potential for some good humor.
          I think I'm trying to find a very narrow slice between being unenthusiastic, but also optimistic. I love the ride as-is, but obviously there can always be improvements.

Comment

Seems virtually impossible to make a jungle cruise dull and uninteresting, so have to expect it will be lively and fun.
            I look forward to seeing what they put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

I think I'm trying to find a very narrow slice between being unenthusiastic, but also optimistic. I love the ride as-is, but obviously there can always be improvements.
              I love the existing ride too. As a fan of Marc Davis’ work, there is quite a bit of his touch in there that I hope remains.

I do understand the need though to update some of the racial stereotypes in the attraction and the concept art does appear to keep Marc’s sense of humor intact. As long as what we get is a plus, not a minus, I’ll be happy.
              Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
              Walt Disney World
              Disneyland Paris

1990, 1992, 1993

Comment

I'm hopeful they can update the attraction to remove harmful racial stereotypes while still keeping the humor for the adults and the adventure for the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post

I do understand the need though to update some of the racial stereotypes in the attraction
                  None of those jokes are my favorite anyway.

Comment

So how long until we start calling for the stereotype riddled Small World be changed?

Comment

I love the ride and don't care for most of the PR moves made recently, but this one I am okay with. The native animatronics that are being replaced are awful and really needed to be updated anyway. I hope they replace them with state of the art AAs. It pains me to take people on this ride. On the one hand, it is my favorite, on the other, people most react by saying "meh... it was fine." The village scenes just don't play today. Replace them and I think most people would enjoy the ride more.

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
                        So how long until we start calling for the stereotype riddled Small World be changed?
                        I often wonder where the line between stereotype and traditional culture lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Blue View Post
                          I love this ride but welcome the changes. I appreciate the addition of a more coherent (albeit thin and silly) narrative and the reworking of the more problematic vignettes in the ride. Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago.
                          All of this.
                          You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                          It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

While they implied they didn't reveal everything, I'm surprised they didn't announced any tie-ins to the upcoming movie.

Hmmm....

Comment

I'll sound like a heretic to some for saying this, but I never cared much for the Jungle Cruise. It's an attraction I frequently skip because I never really feel the wait is worth it unless it's a walk on. That's just me. These changes will give me a reason to at least check it out again. I hope whatever they cook up will satisfy as many fans of it as possible. -and hopefully they'll be something that steers me towards it's queue more often.
                              "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

It was expected. With all of the talk about Hong Kong Disneyland getting an update, and seeing how the other Jungle Cruise attractions are designed in other countries, I think this is another change to look forward to.

I'll be honest –– when I last rode the Jungle Cruise in 2020, I felt it needed an update. Also it's hard not to cringe at certain scenes. Some skippers would just not acknowledge them, and floor it.
                                Last edited by Captain Andy; 01-26-2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

So it's the same, but now the scenes have a different Jungle Cruise group that's stuck? This sounds kinda...pointless. Like, I don't really see what we get out of the lost expedition group being a similar tour group other than hammering in the already fairly well established "incompetent company" joke. And just adding new scenes like a boat with monkeys would've already been a revamp and freshened the thing since it'd give new joke material.

I guess I don't see why it needs a narrative. "You signed up for a sketchy tour" seemed good enough to me.

Maybe there'll be more to it and it'll turn out good. I don't know. Either way, better to be a pointless idea than a bad idea, I guess.

Extremely happy that they aren't shoving in movie characters.
                                  Last edited by Lights; 01-27-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lights View Post
                                    So it's the same, but now the scenes have a different Jungle Cruise group that's stuck? This sounds kinda...pointless. Like, I don't really see what we get out of the lost expedition group being a similar tour group other than hammering in the already fairly well established "incompetent company" joke. And just adding new scenes like a boat with monkies would've already been a revamp and freshened the thing since it'd give new joke material.

I guess I don't see why it needs a narrative. "You signed up for a sketchy tour" seemed good enough to me.

Maybe there'll be more to it and it'll turn out good. I don't know. Either way, better to be a pointless idea than a bad idea, I guess.

Extremely happy that they aren't shoving in movie characters.
                                    ^^^^^^ This

A place to ride the movies philosophy is what diminishes the parks. It seems they are avoiding that.

Comment

Some changes I wasn't a fan of (like changing the auction scene in Pirates), but this one can be fun as it seems like it's not really removing anything but instead is adding scenes that fit within the ride, even adding a story to the crew up a pole scene.

Comment

I'm glad about these changes and they don't seem too bad to me. Honestly, it should've been the first ride to get these PR changes before Pirates or Splash.

There's plenty of other great moments anyway. Changing 5-10% of the ride won't ruin the entire thing. I've always felt the Jungle Cruise would benefit from constant/yearly scene changes anyway, like the holiday scenes.
                                        Last edited by jacob555; 01-26-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X