• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    BasilOregano
    MiceChatter

• BasilOregano
    replied
    Oh, but I like the Plaza Inn. It's very classic Disneyland to me, and while I don't eat there too often, it's a good place to catch a quick casual bite with a still-decent atmosphere.

If they absolutely had to remodel it I would prefer something more like Walt's in Disneyland Paris, I think, and I do agree that a second story could be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Chief Leaky War Canoe
    MiceChatter

• Chief Leaky War Canoe
    replied
    Originally posted by EverThemed View Post
    I have been to Disneyland 50 times over the last 50 years and I've never eaten at the Plaza Inn. There are so many other more interesting and thematic places, when I peeked into the Plaza Inn it felt very generic Victorian to me, and thematically, I was never sure what a "Plaza Inn" is...is it supposed to be a hotel? What's the back-story? Okay, admittedly, I never investigated much because the name and lack of promise just didn't motivate me.
    Well, if are only going back 50 years, then you would not remember that the Plaza Inn was originally the 'Red Wagon Inn' when Disneyland first opened, and then on for about a decade after that. Originally operated by the Swift meat packing company, the Red Wagon Inn was full sit down dining service. It had that Victorian theme going on, which BTW is very fitting to the Main Street them, so not sure why you think it looks out of place?

Then across the "plaza" was a caffeteria style restaurant called the 'Plaza Pavillion' which had outside seating, some which overlooked the Jungle cruise loading area on the back side. That was eventually changed after The Enchanted Tiki room and the Polynesian Terrace dinner show was added. The Plaza 'pavillion' was eventually only opened on weekends or busy times, and then just around the time when they redesigned tomorrowland, Walt had the Red Wagon Inn remodeled as a cafeteria style place changing the name to the Plaza INN--- so basically keeping the 'inn' part from the original Red Wagon Inn.

IThough Main Street has all the normal civic institutions like City Hal, Fire Dept., bank, cinema, etc. What it doesn't have is a library. The turn-of-the-century was an important time when libraries came to small towns throughout the US, according to a Nation Park Service web article: "Between 1886 and 1919, Carnegie’s donations of more than $40 million paid for 1,679 new library buildings in communities large and small across America." It's a great time for Disney to enhance this underwhelming eatery, add theme, and celebrate knowledge and education by giving Main Street a library!
    Not really following where you are going with this. You say a restaurant that is also a library? When did Andrew Carnegie ever build one of those? And what would that be for a theme park? Maybe a "library" theme somewhere would work as a retail store where they could sell books, but who buys books anymore? So no, not seeing that working. And besides, it isn't a bad place to eat if your in the park for a very long day and want to get a filling meal. We used to eat there during the fall season when it wasn't as warm outside on the patio, and the upside used to be free refills on beverages. You could get a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings--- enough usually to share.

IA reimagined Plaza Inn as The Main Street Library Restaurant would include a multitude of unique dining "rooms" each themed after a topical section of the library. For example, the Travel section would have turn-of-the-century travel books, displays of plants and shells and things in Victorian glass cases, and era travel posters. The Science Fiction section would have Jules Verne books, framed prints, and models of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarines ,etc. in antique glass museum displays. The fantasy fiction section would celebrate the original works of literature that inspired many of Disney's classic animated films. The ambiance would be warm and textured and thematic due to the books, art, and museum-like displays.

The Main Street Library Restaurant could be "fine dining" like the Carthay Circle, something Disneyland needs more of. By adding a top floor of dining with large arched glass windows, the restaurant would offer an amazing view of the plaza and fireworks.
    I just don't see that happening, but I have no problem with an upscale restaurant in the Plaza which would include adult beverages, but I think across at the old Plaza PAVILLION would be a better location for that. This way it could be weekend or seasonal without impacting the Plaza Inn which is still a popular eating place believe it or not.

The overall architecture could maintain the Plaza Inn's familiar mansard roofline, just lifted up, essentially, to include a second floor.
    You really aren't thinking this through. If they added a second floor, then there would be a much higher roof line, which would then spoil the scaled / forced perspective thing going on along Main Street and looking on to the castle. What you are suggesting would make the rest of Main Street look to small, and the castle as well.

I think it really sad they scrapped the Carnation Plaza area for a character meet and greet. That was a great space, and one which could have somehow added finer dining maybe, if they had thought it through.

Leave a comment:

• sleepyjeff
    Spree Candy

• sleepyjeff
    replied
    Very interesting idea.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    I think it would great to have an Inn but with more character other than Victorian Inn. I like the subtle nod that Jolly Holiday gives to Mary Poppins maybe there is an other victorian era IP that can be added very subtly with maybe a slight nod to a character and music from the IP's movie. Maybe this one could be a homage to Walt's Mom and call it the Flora Inn? Then theme the place to feel like you're at an Inn with patio flower garden.
    I for the place be refreshing up, but Keep it to the Victorian era......
    and agree ,I'm not sold on the second story neither imo

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    Old Skateboarder

• Starcade
    replied
    I think like somebody mentioned adjacent to the Starbucks there is a small library with actual books adorning the shelves etc. If you removed the Inn then what would be missing from MS USA is an Inn which were far more prominent across the USA than Libraries were/are.

I like the thought of updating it, not sold on the second story and I think a 2nd library is not needed.

I think it would great to have an Inn but with more character other than Victorian Inn. I like the subtle nod that Jolly Holiday gives to Mary Poppins maybe there is an other victorian era IP that can be added very subtly with maybe a slight nod to a character and music from the IP's movie. Maybe this one could be a homage to Walt's Mom and call it the Flora Inn? Then theme the place to feel like you're at an Inn with patio flower garden.
    Starcade
    Old Skateboarder
    Last edited by Starcade; 03-01-2021, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Southern fried chicken, Dinner....at "Plaza Inn"
    Why ,I enjoy the place....and very relaxing view !
    imo- I like dinner better than Knott's
    Still like
    early 20th century ~ "Victorian" era concept !
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky
    Last edited by Eagleman; 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bubu
    New MiceChatter

• Bubu
    replied
    I used to love eating at the Plaza Inn. It was so elegant for what was: in essence, a cafeteria. It was quick and easy, and relatively tasty. When they did table service in the Solariums during the season, it was a nice alternative to the Blue Bayou. Not sure why you would want to fix something that isn't particularly broken. If I remember correctly, there were many (real) antiques in there- furniture pieces and what not- some big elaborate clock: Louis XIV (?) The Plaza Inn is a Walt invention and in true Walt form, he was highly involved in the creation of it. Can we please just keep a few things? Doing a second floor would absolutely ruin the quaintness of the forced perspective of Main St. itself. That's why a Gazebo moved from Town Square, to Carnation Plaza Gardens, to Frontierland, then to Rogers Gardens. (or was Frontierland first..?)

Leave a comment:

• greenalfonzo
    MiceChatter

• greenalfonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
    How about if they pushed the second story back to the rear or the property and had the front part facing the walkways in Tomorrowland and Main Street be an open terrace on the second floor. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I'm talking about having a roof over only part of the restaurant and the remaining part is open air. In either area you get a view of the sky.
    I think you're on the right track. A full second story would raise the roofline to the height of the tower - too tall. How about shelve the second story, and just install a rooftop patio? Tons more seating, beautiful views of the fireworks. Make it an AP/Members exclusive even for when they come back.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    Disneyland Dreamer

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

The Astro Orbiters are even closer to the Hub and Castle than this is.

After doing some cruising around Google Maps, I'm convinced that adding the second story wouldn't be a problem. There are already plenty of intrusions into the forced perspective of the castle. There aren't that many opportunities to see both the Plaza Inn and the Castle in the same view and compare them against each other.

It seems like the pros of adding the second story would outweigh the cons.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8122...7i13312!8i6656
    Even my ultra-wide lens can't capture both in the same pic which means it is FARRRRR outside the limits of human vision unless you are a fish.

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post

But it is well off Main Street. I mean it wouldn't be more obtrusive than this which is literally in the same proposed sight plane. If the People mover tracks and the Tomorrowland spires (and the now defunct Home of Tomorrow) weren't obtrusive or out of scale, then this simply cannot be.

The Astro Orbiters are even closer to the Hub and Castle than this is.

After doing some cruising around Google Maps, I'm convinced that adding the second story wouldn't be a problem. There are already plenty of intrusions into the forced perspective of the castle. There aren't that many opportunities to see both the Plaza Inn and the Castle in the same view and compare them against each other.

It seems like the pros of adding the second story would outweigh the cons.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8122...7i13312!8i6656

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    MiceChatter

• mickdaddy
    replied

But it is well off Main Street. I mean it wouldn't be more obtrusive than this which is literally in the same proposed sight plane. If the People mover tracks and the Tomorrowland spires (and the now defunct Home of Tomorrow) weren't obtrusive or out of scale, then this simply cannot be.

Valid point, especially for the rest of main street, I still feel it is a little closer to the castle than the people mover track and Tomorrowland spires but it would set off enough it probably wouldn't change the scale.

Leave a comment:

• Sun Bonnet
    MiceChatter

• Sun Bonnet
    replied
    How about if they pushed the second story back to the rear or the property and had the front part facing the walkways in Tomorrowland and Main Street be an open terrace on the second floor. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I'm talking about having a roof over only part of the restaurant and the remaining part is open air. In either area you get a view of the sky.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

In order to have a useable 2nd story it would have to be a true 2nd story, it would make it off scale to the main street buildings and the castle thus ruining the forced perspective of both, I think there is plenty of upside to the idea, just might look odd.
    I AGREE..........IMO
    Scale would be off ,with the other main street buildings.....
    But do like, the Ideal being high up..... for the view.
    Eagleman
    Lord of the Sky
    Last edited by Eagleman; 02-17-2021, 06:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    Disneyland Dreamer

• whoever
    replied

In order to have a useable 2nd story it would have to be a true 2nd story, it would make it off scale to the main street buildings and the castle thus ruining the forced perspective of both, I think there is plenty of upside to the idea, just might look odd.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    MiceChatter

• mickdaddy
    replied

I fail to see how it would ruin anything.

Leave a comment:

• EverThemed
    New MiceChatter

• EverThemed
    replied
    I agree that the designers would rightfully be concerned about the height of a nearby structure challenging the castle, but I think it's far enough away to not share a view or diminish the castle by comparison. I also think the mansard style roof, in which the second floor is largely "inside the roof" works to diminish the visual scale of the building (the building appears as fewer floors), plus the choice of roof color can further reduce its visual weight. For example, a light blue slate roof -- sky color essentially -- would work to reduce it's apparent height/massing compared to the current dark brown. The suggested full/partial glass conservatory look on the second floor would also create a sense of "lightness" making it unlikely to challenge the castle.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    Disneyland Dreamer

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyLifer View Post

You and your fabulous pictures! Not fair to those of us with only phones and a D3400!
    That was probably my old camera too. I'm hopefully dipping my toes into mirrorless soon. I'm not sold just yet.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyLifer
    Banned User

• DisneyLifer
    replied

You and your fabulous pictures! Not fair to those of us with only phones and a D3400!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    Disneyland Dreamer

• whoever
    replied

This was my thought too, as much as I would love the idea of a 2nd level that could give those views and the potential for firework viewing with dinner I would not want to ruin the perspective of both main street and the castle.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    MiceChatter

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

I like adding a second floor for capacity at the restaurant, but I'd be hesitant to do anything that messes up the forced perspective of the castle.
    This was my thought too, as much as I would love the idea of a 2nd level that could give those views and the potential for firework viewing with dinner I would not want to ruin the perspective of both main street and the castle.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X