Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Sega for Disneyland Resort

I had been thinking of Sega and Disney making an exclusive partnership, where Sega would make video games based on Disney IPs, including Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, ABC, Muppets, 20th Century and possibly National Geographic.

the partnership also means that Sega could have their presence on Disney Parks, especially Disneyland Resort. For Downtown Disney, a Dave and Busters-style Sega restaurant and arcade to replace ESPN Zone. Sega would open Arcades for Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure, where Guests will play Sega arcades and console games, including a chance to play the upcoming ones.

Disneyland will make appearance in a Crazy Taxi game.

Does Sega still exist as a company? Disney has had their own video game division with Disney infinity and used the Innovations as a way for people to go play those games in there. While I would love more Disney themed games I would not love that presence in the park to me that would ruin the immersion I get from being in a Disney park.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Well there is Disney's Magic kingdoms app on your phone. It's pretty close to what the OP's mentioning. I have something like 156 characters plus rides and attractions so far.
      My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

Sega has been selling their arcades in Japan. Their business has been a bit shakey lately.

While I love Disney, it's beyond clear that Disney doesn't know how to make video games anymore. Yes, they had some past hits. But it's clear, they became disinterested on video games. All of Disney's online games and Disney Infinity were shut down. Disney scrapped planned updates of Toy Story Midway Mania. Epic Mickey 3 was never made. And it took 14 years for Kingdom Hearts III to be released.

The fact alone, that Wreck It Ralph 2 focused on the Internet, instead of Video Games, only furthers the point. Or the fact that Disney's competitor (Universal) got the IP rights for Nintendo, which is the king of family-friendly video games. Talk about an ouch...

Comment

Why not someone with a better pedigree? Modern Sega really isn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by NGW View Post
            Why not someone with a better pedigree? Modern Sega really isn't that great.
            I try to figure out on how to fix Sega, Sonic Mania was so successful that i want them to make more Genesis-style 16-bits video game as tributes to Sega from the past, giving creative control to them than executives, start a braintrust similar to Pixar, buying or opening new studios and bring back older Sega IPs.

Comment

Disney has a pretty poor game strategy but I don't see any synergy they'd have with Sega. While Sega has a quality consistency for games somewhat higher than Disney they are still not exactly a games developer house and were long ago bought out by Sammy Co to become Sega/Sammy Holdings which I believe makes more money on Pachinko machines in Japan with games/arcades as a side hustle (I could be wrong it's been a few years since I saw their earnings).

However even beyond this Disney owns so much IP that they would have no need to aquire more in this fashion. Universal did the whole Nintendo deal due to a lack of notable IP which is a wise move for them but Disney need not match it.

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
              Does Sega still exist as a company? Disney has had their own video game division with Disney infinity and used the Innovations as a way for people to go play those games in there. While I would love more Disney themed games I would not love that presence in the park to me that would ruin the immersion I get from being in a Disney park.
              Disney Infinity was liquidated. They shut down their publishing arm and sold the developer team to Warner Bros.

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              Sega has been selling their arcades in Japan. Their business has been a bit shakey lately.

While I love Disney, it's beyond clear that Disney doesn't know how to make video games anymore. Yes, they had some past hits. But it's clear, they became disinterested on video games. All of Disney's online games and Disney Infinity were shut down. Disney scrapped planned updates of Toy Story Midway Mania. Epic Mickey 3 was never made. And it took 14 years for Kingdom Hearts III to be released.

The fact alone, that Wreck It Ralph 2 focused on the Internet, instead of Video Games, only furthers the point. Or the fact that Disney's competitor (Universal) got the IP rights for Nintendo, which is the king of family-friendly video games. Talk about an ouch...

The issue you're noticing is Disney's odd rythum to game development management. Every so often Disney becomes determined to enter the games market and take over all of their own development. During these moments you'll see games like Kingdom Hearts and Marvel vs Capcom vanish or have a harder time clearing development. However you will also see projects like Epic Mickey or Disney Infinity suddenly rise up with strong merchandising tie ins not normally seen from a games product.

Right now Disney is in a lisencing phase so every internal project was canceled and sold off (same went for the LucasArts development teams once Disney owned them).

The real issue is Disney has no patience or long term strategy for the market. They'll decide to do the total control route and needlessly end crossover partnerships with other companies then later downsize entire development teams at the first sign of a mediocre performer. They simply don't have the patience or stomach to setup a longterm development team and have an idea of what success in that market really means so instead we see alot of wishy washy styled strategy that tends to pivot on a 5 year repeating cycle.

Originally posted by DisneyLover95 View Post

I try to figure out on how to fix Sega, Sonic Mania was so successful that i want them to make more Genesis-style 16-bits video game as tributes to Sega from the past, giving creative control to them than executives, start a braintrust similar to Pixar, buying or opening new studios and bring back older Sega IPs.
              Sonic Mania was made due to Sega employing a team of Rom Hackers to develop a game for them as the indy scene was doing their games in a better style than there main development team. You can actually see a weirdly similar phenomenon happening with the game made to promote the Tom Cruise Mummy Film which is Metroidvania styled and surprisingly fun.

If Disney wanted to imitate this success they'd need to just setup some eagle-eyed partners to see what is doing well on the indy market and which smalltime teams might be willing to setup a partnership. However this style of business is likely to micro for them as they can simply sign a large contract with EA and not care about the gaming market at all since success is seen as small fries to them (large low risk contracts likely favored by investors).
              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
                ...The real issue is Disney has no patience or long term strategy for the market. They'll decide to do the total control route and needlessly end crossover partnerships with other companies then later downsize entire development teams at the first sign of a mediocre performer. They simply don't have the patience or stomach to setup a longterm development team and have an idea of what success in that market really means so instead we see alot of wishy washy styled strategy that tends to pivot on a 5 year repeating cycle.
                So true! Added to that is their tradition of revolving-door executives, many of whom have no passion for or affinity to the corporate division they're trying to conquer er, manage on their way up the hierarchy.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Your post gave me a chuckle..Thanks.

Comment

The main issue I see is that even though Disney's good with creating animated films and has the superhero franchise on lock, they have a difficult time when it comes to video games, where they either choose the wrong company to make the games for them (EA having sole creative rights to SWs video games), or having problems with running their own video game company. I feel that if Disney really wants to step into the video game market, they have to be willing to let any AAA studio have access to their ips.

Something I feel Disney should do though is purchase Hasbro as that'll allow them to save hundreds of millions a year on toy manufacturing as well as obtain the creative rights to MLP, Transformers, GI Joe, D&D, and MtG. Also, if they bought Hasbro, they will also be able to start moving into the two franchises they have no real hold on, the Table Top franchise and TCG franchise, which the TCG market alone can net them hundreds of millions a year with Magic at their fingertips and can also allow for more unique Disney themed sets or Disney alternate cards that can be played in Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                      The main issue I see is that even though Disney's good with creating animated films and has the superhero franchise on lock, they have a difficult time when it comes to video games, where they either choose the wrong company to make the games for them (EA having sole creative rights to SWs video games), or having problems with running their own video game company. I feel that if Disney really wants to step into the video game market, they have to be willing to let any AAA studio have access to their ips.
                      I mean, if i have a chance to have my video games published by Sega and have a chance to find other AAA studio for them.

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                      Something I feel Disney should do though is purchase Hasbro as that'll allow them to save hundreds of millions a year on toy manufacturing as well as obtain the creative rights to MLP, Transformers, GI Joe, D&D, and MtG. Also, if they bought Hasbro, they will also be able to start moving into the two franchises they have no real hold on, the Table Top franchise and TCG franchise, which the TCG market alone can net them hundreds of millions a year with Magic at their fingertips and can also allow for more unique Disney themed sets or Disney alternate cards that can be played in Magic.
                      I was thinking of merge with Hasbro as well to form a video game and toy coglomerate, not to mention that Hasbro owns Entertainment One, a Canadian entertainment company.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X