Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Tomorrow, Disneyland's and DCA's hours expand to 9AM to 9PM. This is both good and bad news

Good:
    • Unlike WDW, DLR didn't have to wait for a long period of time to expand hours. In addition, DL and DCA will have a leg up over EPCOT, DHS, AND AK (Yes, I said DCA!) by Friday. West coast parks will be open for 12 hours vs 11 hours(MK will be opened for 13 hours tomorrow).
    • More hours in the park should translate to more hours for CMs or recalling more CMs back to work(see below though, for the bad news).
    • This means demand is still high, and not dropping(The money is returning$$$!).
    • Revenue for dining and shopping will be boosted from expanded hours.
    Bad:
    • Attendence restrictions remain the same. Meaning, Disney is still forced to restrict customers and thus, revenue and profit remain down.
    • This doesn't entirely solve the worker shortage. Not all workers are choosing to return. Disney can't (ethically) hire new blood until the recalling of current workers is completed.
    • Longer hours could mean that current CMs get overworked....yikes.
    • Longer hours lead to more costs and not exactly more profit for the company.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

Yea good point...believe me Im not hating on CM's at all. I just dont buy the argument (with any job) that you apply for during any circumstance and not know what is expected of you.
    Understandable. 👍

Leave a comment:

• YeaDZNY
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Although this might be seen as a good argument to make, it doesn't address the issue that is being discussed. The main issue at hand is that there are not enough CMs to support the number of guests (and their high expectations) coming through the gates. No matter how qualified a human might be for the job, a human does not have eight arms and cannot be in multiple places at once. This makes for very stressful situations. And in no way am I blaming the CMs for the frustrations guests are feeling, and in no way am I side-eyeing the guests (because let's be real... they paid a high price to visit). Management has placed both parties in a sticky situation. Blurr just posted what it looks like on the ground (see above).

On top of that, while CMs have gone through COVID-19 protocol as of late, I doubt enforcing these rules is what they were actually hired to do. This is a skill that would best fit a security guard.
    Yea good point...believe me Im not hating on CM's at all. I just dont buy the argument (with any job) that you apply for during any circumstance and not know what is expected of you.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied

Agreed....but
    When someone goes through the actual process of trying to get a job, Im almost 100% sure that the position that is applying for lists "what your job titles mean and what tasks" you are expected to do. So its hard for me to say how is this any different then any job that requires dealing with the Public. Like signing up to be a cop or firefighter...and when s^% hits the fan...you cant say "I didnt know I had to use force or put out a huge inferno.
    Although this might be seen as a good argument to make, it doesn't address the issue that is being discussed. The main issue at hand is that there are not enough CMs to support the number of guests (and their high expectations) coming through the gates. No matter how qualified a human might be for the job, a human does not have eight arms and cannot be in multiple places at once. This makes for very stressful situations. And in no way am I blaming the CMs for the frustrations guests are feeling, and in no way am I side-eyeing the guests (because let's be real... they paid a high price to visit). Management has placed both parties in a sticky situation. Blurr just posted what it looks like on the ground (see above).

On top of that, while CMs have gone through COVID-19 protocol as of late, I doubt enforcing these rules is what they were actually hired to do. This is a skill that would best fit a security guard.
    Last edited by Captain Andy; 05-12-2021, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    replied
    To give you an idea of how understaffed or how much help CMs likely need in park, I took this picture on my trip last Saturday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	182869225_345266020335512_3942024944578878794_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=J4NrSGQuXBsAX-ry1HY&_nc_oc=AQl0AN0QoUTuY1S2obmnX8R_Hrs1UkciUUbChxp6PWtYzYiORO7fU0vYjqJVx8tNYLY&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&tp=6&oh=1fb
Views:	195
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	8637651

Red Rose needed so much help that there were folks from Galactic Grill mixing land themes to compensate.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

I thought to myself that maybe this was a special one-time report, but I've now seen other reports from other websites that CMs and customers alike are starting to get a little spicy with each other, and that CMs appear flustered and almost angry at times having to repeat the rules to customers.

I think it has to do with staffing, and poor hours (there are reports of CMs complaining about these things openly in the stores).

It's not a rosy picture in the least bit, which is sad to hear. I hope whatever's going on inside those gates some help is on the way.
    Well said. The best thing that Disney could do for its CMs would be to truly value them and to establish a policy of having their backs in disputes with rude guests. Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen. It would run against decades of entrenched management groupthink that defines CMs as interchangeable, and that they can be thrown under the bus in disputes with rude guests.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-12-2021, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• YeaDZNY
    replied

I thought to myself that maybe this was a special one-time report, but I've now seen other reports from other websites that CMs and customers alike are starting to get a little spicy with each other, and that CMs appear flustered and almost angry at times having to repeat the rules to customers.

I think it has to do with staffing, and poor hours (there are reports of CMs complaining about these things openly in the stores).

It's not a rosy picture in the least bit, which is sad to hear. I hope whatever's going on inside those gates some help is on the way.
    Agreed....but
    When someone goes through the actual process of trying to get a job, Im almost 100% sure that the position that is applying for lists "what your job titles mean and what tasks" you are expected to do. So its hard for me to say how is this any different then any job that requires dealing with the Public. Like signing up to be a cop or firefighter...and when s^% hits the fan...you cant say "I didnt know I had to use force or put out a huge inferno.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
    It is not all easy going for real CMs and real guests.

There was another guest complaining they had no where to sit and the food was getting cold. There are not many food options which created more demand on those open. This also only encouraged other guests nearby to chime in with their frustrations.

Real CMs bore the brunt of all this ire from real guests.

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

... Granted, they might be self service kiosk registers.
    Not sure Disney would bother with that right now. They'd likely put a CM there disinfecting it after each use anyways so at that point, might as well just use that CM to take your order, etc, too.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that when parks allow the Guest "too much control" over stuff like assigning themselves rows, efficiency suffers big time. In my experience, lots of long lines at places like Magic Mountain end up being because we get to the front, realize that no one has been "grouping" the ride vehicles and everyone is either waiting for the front or back rows while middle rows go empty.

I'll give Disney credit where it's due, they realize they need CMs in certain key points for rides/restaurants, etc. in order to maintain proper flow. Enough people end up triggering the "please help me" light at my local Target, I can only imagine what a mess something like a self-serve restaurant kiosk would be on a busy day in the park.
    Last edited by Blurr; 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    There was guest who could not understand why they cannot order directly from the mint julep bar when there is no line or people (other than me picking up beignets)...There was another guest complaining they had no where to sit and the food was getting cold. There are not many food options which created more demand on those open. This also only encouraged other guests nearby to chime in with their frustrations.
    With Blue Bayou set to reopen for Memorial Day Weekend, hopefully more indoor restaurants can reopen(like the Golden Horseshoe).

I bet TDA will bite the bullet, and add registers back for counter service restaurants. Granted, they might be self service kiosk registers.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Getting some Prince Charles vibes here.
    LOL......I agree

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Crait amount of salt
    lol

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    Last Saturday, Indy was down and the Pirates line was closed temporarily because it was too crowded (likely due to Indy).

There was guest who could not understand why they cannot order directly from the mint julep bar when there is no line or people (other than me picking up beignets).

It is not all easy going for real CMs and real guests.

There was another guest complaining they had no where to sit and the food was getting cold. There are not many food options which created more demand on those open. This also only encouraged other guests nearby to chime in with their frustrations.

Real CMs bore the brunt of all this ire from real guests.

The two sock accounts giving only a rosy picture of the current experience do so only because of a beef with MC forum. They should be taken with Crait amount of salt from real guests using this forum to actually determine if a current trip is right for them.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post

The real fans have been going to the parks and welcoming me back. That's nice. I don't want to see it end...but it will.
    Getting some Prince Charles vibes here.

Leave a comment:

• Brian PieGuy
    replied

The real fans have been going to the parks and welcoming me back. That's nice. I don't want to see it end...but it will.
    There it goes. The declaration that people who are saving money for a better time to visit Disneyland aren't "real fans". I get that you're upset Disneyland was closed for a year, it is horrible what happened to the park and my heart goes out to all the cast members who went through that. But when you're constantly using micechat to bash the loyal fanbase that has been supporting Disneyland for decades and keeping their coffers full you sound like an ingrate. This is not a good look for cast members, which I used to have nothing but positive perceptions of.
    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 05-11-2021, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperHappyCM
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilMommie View Post

Keep in mind, MC is a microcosm of DLR fans. 😉 Real fans have your six.
    Last edited by SuperHappyCM; 05-10-2021, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EvilMommie
    replied

Thanks for the compliment. It's rare to hear.
    Keep in mind, MC is a microcosm of DLR fans. 😉 Real fans have your six.

Leave a comment:

• YeaDZNY
    replied

For a lot, I read whining and complaining about Disneyland not having parades, shows, meet and greets, etc. Disneyland is not the place for them right now. Try 2022 or 2023 or 2024...
    But for the people I encounter at work, it is the right place; it is the right time. Low crowds, easygoing atmosphere, and more important, finally being in a place they love that has been unfairly closed for well over a year. It still boggles the mind that Disneyland was treated that way.
    Couldnt agree more!! Cant wait to go next week

Leave a comment:

• SuperHappyCM
    replied

Yea...actually what DL is offering right now sounds perfect for me and my family. As we never hang around and do shows or parades and the lack of people. Make it a win - win situation :-)
    For a lot, I read whining and complaining about Disneyland not having parades, shows, meet and greets, etc. Disneyland is not the place for them right now. Try 2022 or 2023 or 2024...
    But for the people I encounter at work, it is the right place; it is the right time. Low crowds, easygoing atmosphere, and more important, finally being in a place they love that has been unfairly closed for well over a year. It still boggles the mind that Disneyland was treated that way.

Leave a comment:

• SuperHappyCM
    replied
    Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

I'm glad to hear it...I wish Disney felt CM's were worth more. They should be getting paid 18+ for what they have to deal with,

But glad your enjoying it, hopefully I will go someone time before it gets crowded again but if not I'll just find a weekend to lose my self in the resort
    I do get paid 18+ and I'm a front line CM.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X