Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    Has anyone gone to both this event and the Knotts event? It would be interesting to hear the impression from somebody who has done both and can compare.
    I would like to know answer too!
    Something tell me ....That I would enjoy Knott's event, much more ..........
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
      Has anyone gone to both this event and the Knotts event? It would be interesting to hear the impression from somebody who has done both and can compare.
      I have been to many of the other iterations of Knotts' Taste of events, but skipped this one to go to Universal and Disney's.

While I enjoyed being able to walk around a Disney park and seeing Disney characters, the price point just didn't seem to justify the value. The $25 really didn't get very far. The rules about having to order a meal with alcohol made things more complicated, especially when you could not use your gift card on alcohol.

What I enjoyed about Knott's was that it felt like a "full" theme park experience, just without the rides. The craft fairs and the characters added a lot of atmosphere and each part of the park had their own background music. Disney was blasting a very short loop of pop-ified classic Disney hits, but the loop was so short I heard the same songs over and over, and I think it was just very noticeable because they were pop singers with distinct voices and they had lyrics as opposed to just atmospheric sounds.

I also hated the mobile ordering at Disney, and I'm a pretty tech-savvy person. As others have said, you have to input the card number every single time you order. You also had to be aware of when you would get hungry next, because the available pick-up times were usually an hour or more away. There were a lot of glitches with the app not notifying you exactly when your food was ready. We waited on an order that said it was still in progress, but when you actually click on the order it said it had been ready.

On food alone, Disney wins marginally. I generally enjoy Disney food. There were hits and misses, but I appreciate Disney trying new stuff. I really enjoy the food and portion sizes at Knott's, especially for the value of the price of each item. I also appreciate the sheer number of items at Knott's and their inventiveness. Because they have been doing this for so long now, they operated like a well-oiled machine.

But overall, I think each event has its pros and cons and presents a unique value. If Disney had been priced lower, I say Disney would have been the winner, but only by a little.

Comment

Originally posted by vroomichael View Post

I have been to many of the other iterations of Knotts' Taste of events, but skipped this one to go to Universal and Disney's.

While I enjoyed being able to walk around a Disney park and seeing Disney characters, the price point just didn't seem to justify the value. The $25 really didn't get very far. The rules about having to order a meal with alcohol made things more complicated, especially when you could not use your gift card on alcohol.

What I enjoyed about Knott's was that it felt like a "full" theme park experience, just without the rides. The craft fairs and the characters added a lot of atmosphere and each part of the park had their own background music. Disney was blasting a very short loop of pop-ified classic Disney hits, but the loop was so short I heard the same songs over and over, and I think it was just very noticeable because they were pop singers with distinct voices and they had lyrics as opposed to just atmospheric sounds.

I also hated the mobile ordering at Disney, and I'm a pretty tech-savvy person. As others have said, you have to input the card number every single time you order. You also had to be aware of when you would get hungry next, because the available pick-up times were usually an hour or more away. There were a lot of glitches with the app not notifying you exactly when your food was ready. We waited on an order that said it was still in progress, but when you actually click on the order it said it had been ready.

On food alone, Disney wins marginally. I generally enjoy Disney food. There were hits and misses, but I appreciate Disney trying new stuff. I really enjoy the food and portion sizes at Knott's, especially for the value of the price of each item. I also appreciate the sheer number of items at Knott's and their inventiveness. Because they have been doing this for so long now, they operated like a well-oiled machine.

But overall, I think each event has its pros and cons and presents a unique value. If Disney had been priced lower, I say Disney would have been the winner, but only by a little.
        Thank You for your Opinion and Information
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

What’s the better: arrive early and wait outside the gates for an hour or two? And get into the mobile food/drink queues early? Or go later and the queues maybe get shorter later in afternoon? Or is it just a lot of waiting however you do this event?

Comment

I don't think you have to arrive too early. I parked at DTD at around 11 and walked inside DCA at 11:50. I would only arrive early if you are trying to make walk in reservations to Lampllight/Carthay. As some have mentioned, if you go to a Touch of Disney cashier and pre-order everything you want for the day, you can just walk up to the pick up lines for each item whenever you want.

Comment

Went to Touch of Disney yesterday.

Parked at the Anaheim Hotel, used the Micechat parking deal - that was great! Thanks for arranging the discount guys!

The walk from the Anaheim Hotel seemed shorter than what would've been the walk from Mickey Parking. We'll likely use the Anaheim Hotel parking again on future visits.

We parked at 11:00. We're at the security screening around 11:20 and got to the DCA gate about 11:40. Security at Harbor was a bit slow as they said they were understaffed with only 1 canine sniffer. Entrance at DCA gate was fast, only a couple people in front of us. They were letting people in before the 12:00 noon posted opening time.

Figuring out all the online ordering was a bit chaotic at first. I grabbed a CM and had her explain everything. The paper brochure/map didn't have enough menu info - more of highlights document. The app required lots of clicking in deep to each food location, and picking an order window before being able to see the menus. There are probably other links as well... maybe on the disneyland blog. But the app could've been better.

App worked well with Apple Pay. And buying drinks on your own Credit Card was fine once we figured out how to separate all the purchases.

Getting in line to order everything for the day upfront might be the way to go, IF you study ahead, or know the menus well enough to know what you want to do. We weren't in that mindset. So we did mobile orders.

Smokejumpers was pretty easy at the beginning. Got a monte cristo. Then the queue for Smokejumpers kept getting longer. I added a second order a bit later for a cocktail. Had to wait a half hour just for the pickup window time. Later mid-afternoon, I wanted try to one of the frozen coke cocktails they had, but at that point the pickup window was an hour and half out. So I passed on trying those. The pickup window delay time is by restaurant/marketplace/food station. And you select your pickup window time before you order. So if one item is high demand at a food station, then all the pickup window times are a longer wait. You can't just order a lower demand item and get a better pickup time.

The Berry Mule was good. The Bourbon Lemonade was good.

The Asian Barbacoa tacos were the other thing l liked in addition to the monte cristo. The Banh Mi was a disappointment.

Finished up the afternoon with the Carthay Circle. That was nice - they have real bartenders making real cocktails there. All the other drinks at the regular food stations are pre-mix.

Overall we had a great time. All of us we're happy to spend a day at Disney.

Comment

So just got back from our Touch of Disney event on 4/12.
                I truly believe that 80% of the people there...are just there to be on Disney Property (like I was) :-)
                My wife and I had 2 reservations for that day lined up at (LampLight Lounge for lunch and then Ralph Breenans Jazz Kitchen @ 4 in DTD)
                We went about this way, as we wanted to exclude any annoyances that we read about the wait times to order food and not dealing with the M&F parking lot)
                All in all it was pretty...meh. Now we stayed at the event for about 4hrs. As we spent a lot of time just walking around and envisioning what it would be like to actually be there w/rides and more entertainment. I definitely think the price for this is a complete rip off...but considering that this is the first major outdoor mass public gathering we have been to in over a year...it worked (for that reason alone). Also the lunch we had at LLL was awful!! The lobster nachos smelled super fishy and the lobster was cold...gross. I had the "potato skins". Which were nothing like Potato skins, but an over oily potato pancake...gross. Anyways...all in all it was nice seeing all the CM's there re-training and everyone seemed to be in that Disney - Happy type of mood...including myself :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post

No. They do temperature screenings and ask a set of questions at the security checkpoint, but no Covid test results are needed.
                  That's good to know because taking the COVID test is quite expensive. Also, It would be nice if they have QR code so you can fill out the health declaration form easily.

Comment

Actually, some establishments are using QR codes to avoid long queues. However, I noticed some faking it like they are just going to scan but will not input information details.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X