Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Land Does Disney Own Around Disneyland Resort Area?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JayRomy
    replied
    Originally posted by CM.X777 View Post
    To answer to answer the main question. Disney owns more land than people know or think.
    I've always assumed this, but when the topic comes up, a few select MCers basically tell me to put on a foil hat (and so I usually just drop it).

As for the comments days ago in this thread re: PPH and the land it sits on... It's the first time I've ever heard that DLR doesn't fully own it. And I've seen no proof that they don't.

Leave a comment:

• CM.X777
    replied
    To answer to answer the main question. Disney owns more land than people know or think.

Leave a comment:

• CM.X777
    replied
    Originally posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Here is all the property that I know about. I would love to know of more property including those in Cerritos

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.jpg Views:	647 Size:	398.2 KB ID:	8634313
    The stuff on Cerritos is new Company D, and old Company D/warehouse

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied
    Originally posted by JayRomy View Post

IIRC, Disney was going to forbid all of those businesses any access from the rear/east sides of their respective properties. Guests would have had to walk south on Harbor, then east on Katella. Then north on the new Disney path to proposed new check point, then finally west across Harbor over the sky bridge.

I remember the reason being security and liabilities. But many of us suspect it was to protect the Disney bubble.

I also remember some issue of not having direct access to the sky bridge from Harbor (as seen on the Vegas Strip in some areas).

Personally, I've walked much further from the south and those properties are still so close to the resort that they can still use their location as a selling point.
    Same, When I got on a solo trip I typically stay at the Days in between Toy Story lot and Target, and due to how early I like to get to the parks (I like to be in the park by rope drop) I'll usually end up either walking it or taking a lyft (depending on if I'm cutting it close for a breakfast reservation). It isn't far at all, but I always notice how many more people are walking as you start getting closer and closer.

Leave a comment:

• brian11811
    replied
    I thought Disney owned the land AND the paradise pier hotel.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DLR92 View Post

Based on wdw member investigations. This record shows exactly proof from city records.

and I might be the only one who happy Disney never got a hold of Garden Walk. lol
    That would prove another company owned the hotel which would make sense as it was previously a non-Disney hotel. however that invoice has nothing to do with the land surrounding the hotel.

Leave a comment:

• DLR92
    replied
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

This can't be true based on the plans they have put out for Disney Forward. What is your source on this?
    Based on wdw member investigations. This record shows exactly proof from city records.

and I might be the only one who happy Disney never got a hold of Garden Walk. lol

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied
    I just saw a video were the city for cheaper than its worth tried to sell Disney the Garden Walk...if true what a stupid move by Disney not to buy it...the idiot who said no to that should be fired

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    The only land Disney not own in it Disneyland resort is the Paradise Pier Hotel lot. They only own the hotel. But not the land it sit on. It own by a person who get certain royalty of Paradise Pier Hotel earning.
    This can't be true based on the plans they have put out for Disney Forward. What is your source on this?

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied
    Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post

yes, that is the site of the proposed Eastern Gateway, which, iirc would have completely eliminated all crosswalk traffic allowing vehicular traffic to flow significantly better. And yes, it was the McDonalds and IHOP and other restaurants that pitched a fit. I don't know why the hotels would have been against it though because why would they lose business if all guests have to do is walk to the back of their property to be "in Disney"? Also, I don't have sympathy for giant corporate chains that might lose 1-5% in sales from the proposed project which Disney wants back on the table (based on the Disneyland Forward website). Now if there are independent small businesses over there, that is a different equation. But I honestly don't think they'd lose much traffic as all guests will be seeing what is there when crossing the bridge and it might entice them (after this many trips I never even noticed the IHOP until they complained about the project, and now I won't go there out of principle, same for the McDonalds because I would have rather seen the Eastern Gateway get build before we got Pixar Pals
    IIRC, Disney was going to forbid all of those businesses any access from the rear/east sides of their respective properties. Guests would have had to walk south on Harbor, then east on Katella. Then north on the new Disney path to proposed new check point, then finally west across Harbor over the sky bridge.

I remember the reason being security and liabilities. But many of us suspect it was to protect the Disney bubble.

I also remember some issue of not having direct access to the sky bridge from Harbor (as seen on the Vegas Strip in some areas).

Personally, I've walked much further from the south and those properties are still so close to the resort that they can still use their location as a selling point.

Leave a comment:

• DLR92
    replied
    The only land Disney not own in it Disneyland resort is the Paradise Pier Hotel lot. They only own the hotel. But not the land it sit on. It own by a person who get certain royalty of Paradise Pier Hotel earning.

Leave a comment:

• rld275501
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_48750.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	8635455 Kind of off-topic, but here's the plan for what they were going to do. The grey area must be the USCIS, which is now included?
    Last edited by rld275501; 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied
    OP you left out the green shade north above Mikey And Friends parking garage. The entire flat parking lot above the parking structure with some building is also own by Disney.
    Thanks, I wasn't positive how much of the NW end of the property was theirs since I know there are some parts that aren't.

Leave a comment:

• DLR92
    replied
    OP you left out the green shade north above Mikey And Friends parking garage. The entire flat parking lot above the parking structure with some building is also own by Disney.

Leave a comment:

• brianpinsky
    replied
    Here is all the property that I know about. I would love to know of more property including those in Cerritos
    ​​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	8634313

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied
    Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
    As I recall, that green chunk with the little pathway leading to harbor blvd. was meant to be a new parking structure with an overhead walkway so as to avoid too much foot traffic on the ground. This didn't go over well due to how the neighbor hotels and restaurants got really upset over that, thinking it was gonna lose them a lot more business (which is understandable).
    yes, that is the site of the proposed Eastern Gateway, which, iirc would have completely eliminated all crosswalk traffic allowing vehicular traffic to flow significantly better. And yes, it was the McDonalds and IHOP and other restaurants that pitched a fit. I don't know why the hotels would have been against it though because why would they lose business if all guests have to do is walk to the back of their property to be "in Disney"? Also, I don't have sympathy for giant corporate chains that might lose 1-5% in sales from the proposed project which Disney wants back on the table (based on the Disneyland Forward website). Now if there are independent small businesses over there, that is a different equation. But I honestly don't think they'd lose much traffic as all guests will be seeing what is there when crossing the bridge and it might entice them (after this many trips I never even noticed the IHOP until they complained about the project, and now I won't go there out of principle, same for the McDonalds because I would have rather seen the Eastern Gateway get build before we got Pixar Pals

Leave a comment:

• jish5555
    replied
    As I recall, that green chunk with the little pathway leading to harbor blvd. was meant to be a new parking structure with an overhead walkway so as to avoid too much foot traffic on the ground. This didn't go over well due to how the neighbor hotels and restaurants got really upset over that, thinking it was gonna lose them a lot more business (which is understandable).

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied
    Originally posted by savarese04 View Post

I'm sure they want the Garden Walk (or LITERALLY ANY property around the park), but that parcel isn't as big as people think it is. It's like 1/3 the size of DCA, so I'm not sure what they would do there, keeping in mind that it's zoned for retail and turning it into anything else that doesn't bring in sales tax revenue, would raise the hackles of the Anaheim folk. I'm sure they were thrilled to have Disney taking over the USCIS property, since its an office that doesn't generate taxes and is a pretty politically contentious presence anyway.
    That's why if I were involved in Disney's resort master planning I would 100% be pushing for purchasing GW, build 3rd gate on Toy Story (it is definitely big enough for something decent (by DLR standards, not WDW size lol), build up the Eastern Gateway, then use the GW property as a "DTD East" or something like that, it would stay as retail/dining, and be how you funnel guests from the parking structure to the park. Like how DLR Hotel guests are funneled through DTD to get to the parks, or how Universal funnels your through their shopping district. Plus, depending on iff they got some of that hotel space surrounding GW, they could then have a couple more Value or Moderately priced hotels for DLR. I know I would actually save up more to stay on property if they ever did a value resort, but moderates are just too expensive when I can stay down the road for as little as $60/night.

Leave a comment:

• savarese04
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    Now that Disney now does own it they could put in a parking structure of 4-5 stories making it the equivalent spaces to replace the Toy Story Lot. That leaves that parcel up to be used for whatever they want without the need to use it for Resort parking. The Toy Story lot is not quite big enough for a third gate unless they got very creative in going vertical as you would need a chunk of that for parking for it's park and the footprint as is is only like 80% of DCA or DL. Probably only 60% once a parking structure is built. I see them using this as a Disney-Lite experience with more retail then attraction and maybe a Hotel on site. It would be a great plot for a water park/resort kind of like a Diney-esque Great Wolf Lodge that can be open year round.

Or they are truly putting their sites on the Anaheim Garden Walk and have been watching it struggle waiting to pounce at the opportune time and then the story gets really interesting as that would give them so many more options having the ability to link all three major parcels. Maybe some of these plans are being leaked to put pressure on certain owners to sell and or provide Disney more leverage to make some more demands on the city?
    I'm sure they want the Garden Walk (or LITERALLY ANY property around the park), but that parcel isn't as big as people think it is. It's like 1/3 the size of DCA, so I'm not sure what they would do there, keeping in mind that it's zoned for retail and turning it into anything else that doesn't bring in sales tax revenue, would raise the hackles of the Anaheim folk. I'm sure they were thrilled to have Disney taking over the USCIS property, since its an office that doesn't generate taxes and is a pretty politically contentious presence anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mickeyfan42
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    Now that Disney now does own it they could put in a parking structure of 4-5 stories making it the equivalent spaces to replace the Toy Story Lot. That leaves that parcel up to be used for whatever they want without the need to use it for Resort parking. The Toy Story lot is not quite big enough for a third gate unless they got very creative in going vertical as you would need a chunk of that for parking for it's park and the footprint as is is only like 80% of DCA or DL. Probably only 60% once a parking structure is built. I see them using this as a Disney-Lite experience with more retail then attraction and maybe a Hotel on site. It would be a great plot for a water park/resort kind of like a Diney-esque Great Wolf Lodge that can be open year round.

Or they are truly putting their sites on the Anaheim Garden Walk and have been watching it struggle waiting to pounce at the opportune time and then the story gets really interesting as that would give them so many more options having the ability to link all three major parcels. Maybe some of these plans are being leaked to put pressure on certain owners to sell and or provide Disney more leverage to make some more demands on the city?
    I fully expect that they don't really want to waste the Toy Story parcel on anything that isn't a new park, and I do think they just wanted to ride it out to get GW for as little as possible (I imagine that after this last year, now would be an excellent time to make an offer on it because I would be shocked if it has fared any better than other malls have (the one closest to me has lost about 1/5 of the tenants). Especially when the 2 most popular sites there are the theater and House of Blues, both of which have had to go without being able to be open for the better part of a year (ok maybe HoB was open but didn't have the live entertainment which is what drives people in). And yes, I don't think Disney will build a 3rd park over there until they own GW for that connector. Also, that parcel is 74 acres. If you don't count the Grand Californian as part of DCA's footprint (and I don't because its a hotel, not attractions), it is the same acreage. Yes they'd have to get creative but it is also worth remembering that when DCA first opened it was only about 50 acres, and grew to 55 with the additions of A Bug's Land, and Tower of Terror. And that 74 acre measurement of the DCA plot includes what is left of the Timon parking lot, aka, where that Avengers E-Ticket will go if/when it breaks ground.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X