replied
    Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

That is fair. Sorry I mistook you.
    No worries!

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

Sure, I don't disagree with any of this...?

Slippery slope isn't always a fallacy, though. It obviously can be -- a lot of the times people whip out a fake slippery slope argument because they don't want to say "I don't want people to do X and I don't have a reason I can say out loud", forum rules prevent me from a giving an example, but I'm sure you know what I mean -- but it can be a logically rigorous argument too. I think the concern that Disney will keep adding booze to the park to the point where it becomes a problem isn't unreasonable. I'm not saying I even believe that myself necessarily, but I do think it is a valid concern.
    That is fair. Sorry I mistook you.

Leave a comment:

• BasilOregano
    replied

Charity is interesting word choice for those who don’t need it. If you want to limit the “potentially drunken and boorish behavior” of the guests, there are other ways of doing that than licking the boots of VIPs.
    Sure, I don't disagree with any of this...?

In fact, this is what Disney is doing. You can argue that this may change down the line (slippery slope fallacy), but we can only really argue about what we know. And what we know now is that the drunken behavior is limited because drinks are only served in two locations (both of which you will likely need a reservation and one in which you’ll need to order food).
    Slippery slope isn't always a fallacy, though. It obviously can be -- a lot of the times people whip out a fake slippery slope argument because they don't want to say "I don't want people to do X and I don't have a reason I can say out loud", forum rules prevent me from a giving an example, but I'm sure you know what I mean -- but it can be a logically rigorous argument too. I think the concern that Disney will keep adding booze to the park to the point where it becomes a problem isn't unreasonable. I'm not saying I even believe that myself necessarily, but I do think it is a valid concern.

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

I don't think anyone is flipping out; people are just expressing some concern that its another a step on a slippery slope. I think if we could be confident that alcohol sales would be confined to the Blue Bayou and other similar sit-down establishments, everyone would be entirely cool with this.

Or, more charitably, that there is a lot less of them compared to ordinary guests, so their potentially drunken and boorish behavior would be less of an issue.
    Charity is interesting word choice for those who don’t need it. If you want to limit the “potentially drunken and boorish behavior” of the guests, there are other ways of doing that than licking the boots of VIPs.

In fact, this is what Disney is doing. You can argue that this may change down the line (slippery slope fallacy), but we can only really argue about what we know. And what we know now is that the drunken behavior is limited because drinks are only served in two locations (both of which you will likely need a reservation and one in which you’ll need to order food).

Leave a comment:

• BasilOregano
    replied
    Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post
    Anyone that’s flipping out over this needs to get over it. It’s sold all over almost every other Disney park without major issue. And to say, “it’s not want Walt wanted...”. Isn’t really accurate. It’s not what Walt wanted in 1955-1966. How long ago is that now? Considering Walt was planning Club 33 and planning to serve alcohol in it at that point makes this a pretty shaky argument. It won’t affect anyone that doesn’t want it, just don’t order it.
    I don't think anyone is flipping out; people are just expressing some concern that its another a step on a slippery slope. I think if we could be confident that alcohol sales would be confined to the Blue Bayou and other similar sit-down establishments, everyone would be entirely cool with this.

This logic assumes the well-off and/or well connected (aka those who can access club 33) are more capable of handling their liqueur than regular folk.
    Or, more charitably, that there is a lot less of them compared to ordinary guests, so their potentially drunken and boorish behavior would be less of an issue.
    Last edited by BasilOregano; 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorro View Post

Club 33 was not intended to be a general public offering, and it still isn't to this day. Thus what happens there is immaterial to the conversation.
    This logic assumes the well-off and/or well connected (aka those who can access club 33) are more capable of handling their liqueur than regular folk.

It is highly relevant in that it was another vestige of the (wrong) old world mindset. No one here is surprised that the uppers play by different rules.

Like elements of sexism and racism, Disney is also removing some elitism* and the old guard is not happy.

While Walt didn’t want alcohol for most guests, he was also a capitalist (he was a rare breed that was both a financial and creative genius).

*please miss me with examples of “elitism” and class that still (and will always) exist in a capitalist society.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post
    Anyone that’s flipping out over this needs to get over it. It’s sold all over almost every other Disney park without major issue. And to say, “it’s not want Walt wanted...”. Isn’t really accurate. It’s not what Walt wanted in 1955-1966. How long ago is that now? Considering Walt was planning Club 33 and planning to serve alcohol in it at that point makes this a pretty shaky argument. It won’t affect anyone that doesn’t want it, just don’t order it.
    Club 33 was not intended to be a general public offering, and it still isn't to this day. Thus what happens there is immaterial to the conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Yamamoto364
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

You/Disney can call what they want
    I just see it happening-imo
    eventually but I hope only in the Blue Bayou

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

Can you really even call it a mint julep if there is not some makers mark in it?
    You/Disney can call what they want
    I just see it happening-imo

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
    I can see Disney have there own alcoholic mint juleps........
    It a matter of time imo
    Can you really even call it a mint julep if there is not some makers mark in it?

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    I can see Disney have there own alcoholic mint juleps........
    It a matter of time imo

Leave a comment:

• SillySpook
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    If they do it right, a hurricane would be a great reason to go.

Some of my best memories of New Orleans involve hurricanes from Pat O'Briens.
    Ironically, some of my worst memories of New Orleans involved hurricanes from Pat O'Briens. But I do love New Orleans and look forward to visiting again some day.

Leave a comment:

• Goldendreamer
    replied
    I’m fine with alcohol in limited quantities. I always wished I could have a glass of red wine with my surf n turf, followed by a ride on Pirates. I understand why Walt wanted the park to be alcohol free, and thankfully there doesn’t seem to be instances of people regularly over imbibing at either DTD or DCA.

Leave a comment:

• JayRomy
    replied
    Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
    I wasn’t asking for this, but I also don’t care.
    This is kinda where I'm at. As long as there's no beer garden thing in Fantasyland or a turn of the last century saloon on Main Street, I'm pretty much ok with it.

My biggest issue is the limited wine at BB. Sparkling wine? Gak! I would rather have a Cabernet or Merlot or anything without bubbles or tons of sugar (I assume a hurricane is a sugary cocktail).

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorro View Post

Well, the French consider Jerry Lewis a comic genius and David Hasselhoff a great actor. It does make one pause for a moment.
    I thought it was the Germans who admired Hasselhoff.

Getting back to booze in Disneyland, in the 80s a CM in a Tomorrowland breakroom delivered a short lecture on all the drinking presented on attractions, listing many specific examples. Surprisingly, America Sings had more drunks than Pirates, according to him.

I'm from Milwaukee, "A City That Means Beer," was Chairman of the London Pub Club at Richmond College in London, and am a former bartender. As long as drinking guests don't bother other (reasonable) guests or drive home, I'll enjoy an overpriced beer at Disneyland, if I can pay for it with my Disney Rewards Visa Dollars.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-09-2021, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Mr. Winkie approves!

Click image for larger version

Name:	606?cb=20130409004611.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	8634338
    Well....if Mr. Winkie approves...must be OK........

I love the Monorail in the old days, at the Disneyland Hotel ...... >Monorail Bar> !

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied
    Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

It isn't the current plan, but expanding alcohol through the park may be the long term plan. Or maybe Blue Bayou is the end of the road. Either way, the slow rollout shows Disney is taking it seriously, which I think invalidates your point that it's not a big deal to begin with.

I'm not saying drinking can't be classy. Rather, selling beer in places like Fantasyland or Toon Town would appear crass, in my opinion.

Dumbo notwithstanding!
    Or Disney just wants to serve drinks in certain location because they have no plans on selling it everywhere

It will for sure draw people to certain restaurants, we will have to wait and see for if any other places get them

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Mr. Winkie approves!

Click image for larger version

Name:	606?cb=20130409004611.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	8634338

Leave a comment:

• J. Thaddeus Toad
    replied