Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Adventure is empty, how long until we get some deals?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Adventure is empty, how long until we get some deals?

So CA Adventure is still wide open reservation wise. It’s obviously the inferior park, so no surprise there. I’ve always thought that most of its business was generated by AP holders visiting to grab food and drinks since that’s the one area it shines. If everyone is voting Disneyland only with their wallets, how long do you think until they create some new type of annual pass/lower ticket prices for CA Adventure?

DLR is not known for discounts anymore (SoCal tickets the possible exception), but a "rush" system like at live theater would be interesting where tickets bought on the day of entry are discounted, if available. Technically the parks are run as a show -- "cast members" and all -- so it wouldn't be off-brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Carthayfreak View Post
      So CA Adventure is still wide open reservation wise. It’s obviously the inferior park, so no surprise there. I’ve always thought that most of its business was generated by AP holders visiting to grab food and drinks since that’s the one area it shines. If everyone is voting Disneyland only with their wallets, how long do you think until they create some new type of annual pass/lower ticket prices for CA Adventure?
      I believe no one buys just a DCA ticket. If you're coming to the Disneyland Resort and you're only going to buy one ticket for one park, that park is definitely going to be Disneyland. DCA is a park-hopper park.

Comment

I agree but...I don’t think it’s something Disney wants to admit by lowering admission costs. AFAIK all of their parks have the same prices; it suggests (even if we feel otherwise) that Disney stands by their park’s quality and perceives them publicly to be just as much a value as their castle parks. I feel like it’s an image thing.

I can’t recall the brand/woman of the top of my head (maybe Helen Rubinstein’s?), but the story goes that she had a recipe for face cream and insisted be priced expensively (against the financial advisors) because it would be seen as luxury. The product is different but the idea is similar: if Disney lowers only DCA, then they lower DCA’s image.

However, as the OP says, an AP for DCA might be a work around to this concept. They would need the balance between a cost that entices locals, but high enough that it does not look like they begging. It sounds easier said then done. Many were willing to pay for a limited event at DCA, but Disneyland wasn’t open.

The biggest competition is coming from inside the house. They cannot lower prices too much because then they are betting themselves.

Comment

I think one shouldn't jump to conclusions on DCA being empty just yet. Avengers Campus opens in June, or earlier if any 'soft openings' happen. It may not be in the scope of Cars Land or Galaxy's Edge, but it will be Disney's 1st Marvel land to officially open. And crowds will flock to the land...at least initially.

If only they hadn't delayed the Avengers ride....

Comment

Personally, I had my DCA "fix" at Touch of Disney. While I did not get to go on any rides, I always did enjoy the park for food and drinks.

With a one park, one day at Tier 5 ticket being $154, I think people are being very selective right now. I don't think it's so much the fault of DCA, but rather people are waiting and seeing what's happening, and being a bit more cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              I think one shouldn't jump to conclusions on DCA being empty just yet. Avengers Campus opens in June, or earlier if any 'soft openings' happen. It may not be in the scope of Cars Land or Galaxy's Edge, but it will be Disney's 1st Marvel land to officially open. And crowds will flock to the land...at least initially.

If only they hadn't delayed the Avengers ride....
              But if you look at the availability calendar, DCA is still wide open as far as availability (except for some Saturdays and Sundays) even in June, after that first opening weekend. So there doesn't seem to be much of an indication now of any "flocking". DCA is still their lowest attended US park (with the 2 Universal Parks in Orlando still getting more visitors), and I hardly think that some highly themed shopping/dining/build a Spiderbot experience, etc. and one 3D "web slinger" ride is going to make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post

But if you look at the availability calendar, DCA is still wide open as far as availability (except for some Saturdays and Sundays) even in June, after that first opening weekend. So there doesn't seem to be much of an indication now of any "flocking". DCA is still their lowest attended US park (with the 2 Universal Parks in Orlando still getting more visitors), and I hardly think that some highly themed shopping/dining/build a Spiderbot experience, etc. and one 3D "web slinger" ride is going to make a huge difference.
                I’m in Total agreement here!

If DCA was only available, I wouldn’t bother to come visit Anaheim. I rather spend a day at Universal than DCA. At least with Universal, I can leave and head to LA and eat out and shop at night. DCA is ruined for me with the changes of Tower of Terror, big change from Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier. I AM NOT sold on Avengers Campus either. DL has more solid attractions than DCA.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 5.29.06 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	8635873
                  Looking at this calendar, what I believe I'm seeing is no one wants to start their day at DCA. But I don't think it necessarily means no one will go there. It will however be fairly empty until the afternoon. But does that mean they're only selling park hoppers? I couldn't find a calendar for single park only. Maybe I need to look further.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post
                    Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 5.29.06 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	8635873
                    Looking at this calendar, what I believe I'm seeing is no one wants to start their day at DCA. But I don't think it necessarily means no one will go there. It will however be fairly empty until the afternoon. But does that mean they're only selling park hoppers? I couldn't find a calendar for single park only. Maybe I need to look further.
                    This was my thought too, what is the percentage of park hopper to single park tickets, are people just starting their day at Disneyland with the idea of moving to DCA later. This would be interesting information to see.
                    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I'm pretty sure you are looking at the single park ticket calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

This was my thought too, what is the percentage of park hopper to single park tickets, are people just starting their day at Disneyland with the idea of moving to DCA later. This would be interesting information to see.
                        I don't know what's going on, but it seems like the calendar keeps changing. I don't know if they are adding slots or people are cancelling or what. Because right now as I type this May 2nd-9th show Disneyland available again...
                        L + L = R

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post

I don't know what's going on, but it seems like the calendar keeps changing. I don't know if they are adding slots or people are cancelling or what. Because right now as I type this May 2nd-9th show Disneyland available again...
                          I think as plans change and people cancel it opens up spots, I read yesterday that Disney World is cancelling reservations for anyone that does not have a valid ticket for that day, I am not sure if this would also apply to Disneyland but apparently people have made reservations then changed their ticket dates but never dropped the reservation so now Disney is doing it.
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

DCA rides - around 19 (with several being off the shelf spinners)

DLR rides - around 35

Until DCA adds at the least 5 more unique rides it will always pail in desire for guests. DLR was a park first and then they figured out how to monetize. DCA feels like it was a strip mall first and they have struggled on how to make it into an actual attractive park. Marvel Campus could have really helped had they brought in the rumored E-ticket and then added another show or ride to give the land 4 rather then canablizing one ride and bring in a modified clone of another. They should have learned their lesson from SWGE cutting back before opening. Unfortunately chapek does not seem like a dude that recognizes his own bad decisions and from my outsiders view this narcism will eventually be his downfall.
                            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                              DCA rides - around 19 (with several being off the shelf spinners)

DLR rides - around 35

Until DCA adds at the least 5 more unique rides it will always pail in desire for guests. DLR was a park first and then they figured out how to monetize. DCA feels like it was a strip mall first and they have struggled on how to make it into an actual attractive park. Marvel Campus could have really helped had they brought in the rumored E-ticket and then added another show or ride to give the land 4 rather then canablizing one ride and bring in a modified clone of another. They should have learned their lesson from SWGE cutting back before opening. Unfortunately chapek does not seem like a dude that recognizes his own bad decisions and from my outsiders view this narcism will eventually be his downfall.
                              I think DCA needs a much stronger complement of mid-tier options, especially well-themed dark rides that appeal to kids and families (not spinners, and not anything that boils down to looking at a screen). But I think the current style is to just put in one huge, expensive E-ticket in and call that a day -- sort of like running to the airport in a grand romantic gesture, when really, what you should have been doing is helping out with the dishes for the last few years, if you catch my meaning.

Actually, moreso than the delayed E-ticket, what gets me most about "Marvel-land" is the inclusion of the Ant-man restaurant. Like, there are enough places in DCA to get food, nobody is not getting food there because there aren't enough options, and a dollar you're making in the Ant-man restaurant is just a dollar you're no longer making at Smokejumpers or wherever, so even from a cold and soulless business perspective, what's even the point. Take that space and put in some entertainment: the park is lacking entertainment, not dining.

Comment

I doubt they do much, I think they will just wait it out. Once Spidermen opens should boost how many people are in there and if WOC can open this summer (which it should be the easiest show to restart since it has no actor) then sure that will also draw people in
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                                  ...Actually, moreso than the delayed E-ticket, what gets me most about "Marvel-land" is the inclusion of the Ant-man restaurant. Like, there are enough places in DCA to get food, nobody is not getting food there because there aren't enough options, and a dollar you're making in the Ant-man restaurant is just a dollar you're no longer making at Smokejumpers or wherever, so even from a cold and soulless business perspective, what's even the point. Take that space and put in some entertainment: the park is lacking entertainment, not dining.
                                  Disney's prime directive is to promote their movie brands. Their ideal would be if an Ant-man restaurant stole so many dollars from a Smokejumpers that it justified closing down Smokejumpers, or replacing it with another brand-promotion restaurant -- either of which decision Disney would PR-spin as being "at the desire of our Guests."

Eisner wasn't kidding when he said "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides." Nor was Chapek when he elaborated on it.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney's prime directive is to promote their movie brands. Their ideal would be if an Ant-man restaurant stole so many dollars from a Smokejumpers that it justified closing down Smokejumpers, or replacing it with another brand-promotion restaurant -- either of which decision Disney would PR-spin as being "at the desire of our Guests."

Eisner wasn't kidding when he said "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides." Nor was Chapek when he elaborated on it.
                                    I hadn't seen that Chapek quote before -- jeez, that's depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                                      I hadn't seen that Chapek quote before -- jeez, that's depressing.
                                      The video that the quote transcript is taken from is even more depressing. Pretty much explains why the offerings at Star Wars Land were a fraction of what was originally greenlit; why Marvel-land is so cut back; and why Chapek was chosen as CEO.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

I often think Iger is completely playing chapek and wall street. He saw the bus coming and tossed chapek in it's way knowing chapek was not his apprentice but his challenger. He saw that the coming years ( even without Covid) where going to face a possible downturn due to the moves made in DC finally coming to roost. He wants to protect the Iger brand even if it hurts the Disney brand under somebody else's tenure. A failure on chapek makes Iger look even better and if his political career doesn't take flight than he has the opportunity to take the wheel again and rescue and restore Disney to its formal glory. Modern CEO's are nothing more than politicians at their core and they are not above setting fire's just to claim victory when they easily put them out due to the knowledge of what exactly is burning. Under Iger the company seemed to be a juggernaut now under chapek they are having to rely on their previous ( Iger built ) position to weather a storm and are looking like a ship taking on water with a captain that seems to be unable to acknowledge his inability to read a map.
                                        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X