Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like Google Earth updated its Disneyland view

I don’t know if I just had an old cached version and this is just new to me, but while looking at the DLR on Google Earth just now it crashed, then I restarted the app and it updated to a much more recent view. You can see the progress on Marvel Campus at DCA too.

They sure did! Although I've seen the concept art for Avengers Campus for some time now, seeing it on Google Earth makes it tangible. I'm a bit hesitant on the industrial look they're going for, but I'm glad Mission Breakout won't be a dead-end anymore.
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

You can see how small the land is now... Click image for larger version

Name:	campus.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	8636101

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post
        You can see how small the land is now... Click image for larger version

Name:	campus.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	8636101
        Where is the Dr. Strange section? Isn't it the area southeast across of Web Slingers?

Comment

Opps. Missed a spot. From the air it looked like our CM break area. But it still doesn't add much more to what is a very small land. I think it may be the smallest land in either park.

Click image for larger version  Name:	campus.jpg Views:	3 Size:	440.5 KB ID:	8636105
          Last edited by SuperHappyCM; 04-27-2021, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I was on Google Earth just two days ago and it was the old view. This is only a few days old. Look at how big the building is for Mickey's Runaway Railway. It's a lot bigger than it needs to be for just one attraction. I wonder if its also provides for the warehouse than the one they tore down?
            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

I agree I think the Runaway Railway building is likely most of the downstairs is the attraction and some shared office space and the upstairs for the sections of the building having an upper level more office space.
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                I agree I think the Runaway Railway building is likely most of the downstairs is the attraction and some shared office space and the upstairs for the sections of the building having an upper level more office space.
                It would be an efficient use of space. However, the great movie ride building looks to be of comparable size in Disney World. Then again, it's hard to tell if the Disney World building is three stories or four...

Comment

Also, the corner between Toon Town and Galaxies Edge looks like it would be very easy to move a few cheap buildings and expand. Considering the concept art for Disney Forward, it would be interesting to see how Galaxies Edge and or Toon Town could use that space.

Comment

Originally posted by xPhoenix View Post
                    Also, the corner between Toon Town and Galaxies Edge looks like it would be very easy to move a few cheap buildings and expand. Considering the concept art for Disney Forward, it would be interesting to see how Galaxies Edge and or Toon Town could use that space.
                    Some might hate me for this but I kinda want a Ducktales themed ride to replace Gadget's Go Coaster, you could still have it be a small kiddie coaster but have it going in and around Scrooge's Money Bin, and maybe even have an AA of him swimming in the gold. Then I would consider using the expansion pad for Star Wars and either do something Mandalorian, or something generic to Star Wars. My biggest criticism of that area is that they didn't do it as a "timeless" place that could have characters from all eras (prequels, originals, sequels, TV, etc). The other thing I would maybe consider doing would be to move Star Tours to that spot, have it still be all characters. But I imagine it would be very expensive to move it. I just want all Star Wars in one area. I also definitely think they could do some sort of Star Wars meet and greet area that doubles as a Jedi temple where you could see 1-2 bad guys for sure (rotating characters being Vader, Maul, Kylo Ren, Seventh Sister), and then a good guy at the end to congratulate you on making it through the "trials" (could be Rey, Ahsoka, maybe even Yoda). That should be easy enough for them to put in any number of areas other than the expansion pad, it wouldn't have to be much bigger than Fantasy Faire is and that is very small. I'd also still like that full service restaurant they teased in the concept art that would have shared a kitchen with the cantina.
                    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                    July 13th-18th
                    November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by brian11811 View Post
                      I don’t know if I just had an old cached version and this is just new to me, but while looking at the DLR on Google Earth just now it crashed, then I restarted the app and it updated to a much more recent view. You can see the progress on Marvel Campus at DCA too.
                      I noticed that from Alex the Historians Video!!

Interesting feature: If you want to see an older version, go over to Bing Maps. (Their website version is during the Pixar Pier construction era). On my old Surface RT tablet, I love looking because the app there is stuck in DCA 1.0 era, (I can still see an aerial of Sunshine Plaza, It's so neat!!)
                      2012-2015 Era DCA rides/attractions we went on regularly:
                      Soarin' Over California
                      Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
                      Radiator Springs Racers
                      Grizzly River Run
                      California Screamin'
                      Aladdin-A Musical Spectacular

2019 Era-Present DCA rides/attractions we go on regularly:
                      Grizzly River Run
                      Radiator Springs Racers
                      Incredicoaster

Comment

The more I keep looking at this aerial view and comparing to past views the more I am feeling it will be two major choke points and offers so much less than Bug's land.

Comment

I'm on the desktop app and the default is still 2 years ago, even though I can go into "historical view" mode and see the imagery from this month.
                          Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                          July 13th-18th
                          November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                            I'm on the desktop app and the default is still 2 years ago, even though I can go into "historical view" mode and see the imagery from this month.
                            Try clearing history, I had to do this to see the latest view.

Comment

Yeah, then try Shift F5 or Cntrl F5 depending on the browser. I am using an iPad, I have not checked desktop.

The imagery is great, more clear than the previous version.

Comment

ok so in that awesome new 3d view, what is up with the Avengers side of the Animation building, it almost looks like scaffolding
                                Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                                July 13th-18th
                                November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                                  ok so in that awesome new 3d view, what is up with the Avengers side of the Animation building, it almost looks like scaffolding
                                  I think they are going to dress it in a way that better matches the theming of the campus ( not worthy of the term "Land" yet imho & Disney seems to agree) In Bugs Land a lot of the outside area was obstructed by the oversized flora and fauna it was like a mini park within the park. They took out 5 attractions and a great photo setting and replaced it with An ugly strip mall and ride on video game. My excitement for this space just keeps plummeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

They took out 5 attractions and a great photo setting and replaced it with An ugly strip mall and ride on video game. My excitement for this space just keeps plummeting.
                                    I have to admit, I'm feeling the opposite.

Granted, I absolutely hate that they replaced ToT with such an inferior (and visually obtrusive throughout the park) attraction. I think the rest of AC could've been built while ToT remained untouched (it would have been just outside the land)... especially if they'd hadn't delayed the e-ticket.

But that being said, I found that "a bugs land" didn't feel immersive at all. (I know it was "for kids," but an area of only flat rides isn't up to Disney's standards for kids, either.) It felt cheap and fake to me, more like an amusement park land. AG has the opportunity to feel more like a real place. Obviously, it's far from a top-quality land, but it seems like it might be a step up from what was there.

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post

Granted, I absolutely hate that they replaced ToT with such an inferior (and visually obtrusive throughout the park) attraction. I think the rest of AC could've been built while ToT remained untouched (it would have been just outside the land)... especially if they'd hadn't delayed the e-ticket.

But that being said, I found that "a bugs land" didn't feel immersive at all. (I know it was "for kids," but an area of only flat rides isn't up to Disney's standards for kids, either.) It felt cheap and fake to me, more like an amusement park land. AG has the opportunity to feel more like a real place. Obviously, it's far from a top-quality land, but it seems like it might be a step up from what was there.
                                      We'll have to agree to disagree. My children were young during the Bug Land years and they enjoyed the land immensely now they are pre-teens and when I show them the Marvel Campus they say it reminds them more of a strip mall then a theme park land. But hey if you enjoy it then more power to you I am glad somebody out there sees it as a plus.
                                      Last edited by Starcade; 04-29-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post

I know on Disney forums I'm in the minority but I far prefer Mission Breakout over Twilight Zone. The building's exterior isn't perfect, but it does work better now that we have Avengers Campus next to it.
                                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                                        July 13th-18th
                                        November 19th-25th

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X