Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea's as to when my Matterhorn will open back up...?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea's as to when my Matterhorn will open back up...?

Kind of lame how yet again my beloved Matterhorn is down...for some unforeseen reason? If its maintenance related, not understanding how this was ignored for the last year!?

I think when the piece fell off in 2019 they started to really examine the entire structure and I heard rumors that they have to do extensive work to keep the ride safe as parts of the structure have started shifting and buckling. ( this is rumor not confirmed ) For its day it was impressive by modern standards ( as an engineering relative of mine says ) it's now in need of some "serious shoring up".
    Last edited by Starcade; 04-29-2021, 08:24 AM.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I know during my last ride (a week before the closure), the yetis were not working. I wonder if they needed more than a little TLC.

Or maybe they’re unexpectedly trying to address how intense the ride is on peoples’ backs... I wouldn’t mind an extended closure just to fix that issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
        I know during my last ride (a week before the closure), the yetis were not working. I wonder if they needed more than a little TLC.

Or maybe they’re unexpectedly trying to address how intense the ride is on peoples’ backs... I wouldn’t mind an extended closure just to fix that issue.
        hmmm...good pieces of info that I didnt really think about. Yea they should of just keep the original seat layout...just would be nice to know how long I can expect to have it down for. Thanks

Comment

If you look at the Disneyland Calendar in the day-by-day view, it is listed as under refurbishment until June 28th. The ride should reopen June 29th. So we are probably looking at a 2 month refurbishment. I'm guessing there were some things in the ride that didn't pass inspection after a year and they are needing to change some things.

See:
          https://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...ay/2021-06-28/ (Still listed as under refurbishment)
          https://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...ay/2021-06-29/ (Nothing there)

This might be because the calendar only updates for 2 months out. I'm not sure. Officially though it will be a few months at least. I'm pretty bummed that it will be closed because it's a pretty integral classic attraction for me. It'll be back though. If this last year has taught us anything, it's patience

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I second that and welcome a full return to fix this. Most blame the track but those of us old enough know the track was always a lil jarring to feel like an actual toboggan. It's definitely the new seats that were done in order for them to cram in more guests that are the issue. They force you to open up your hips putting unwanted pressure on your tail bone and lower back. I think they need to go back to the old toboggans even with the lap sitting as most people do not mind sitting that way with friends and family. This used to be one of my top 5 rides in the park now it's a once a year experience just to remind myself how horrible it now is.
            Last edited by Starcade; 04-29-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandonius View Post
              If you look at the Disneyland Calendar in the day-by-day view, it is listed as under refurbishment until June 28th. The ride should reopen June 29th. So we are probably looking at a 2 month refurbishment. I'm guessing there were some things in the ride that didn't pass inspection after a year and they are needing to change some things.

See:
              https://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...ay/2021-06-28/ (Still listed as under refurbishment)
              https://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...ay/2021-06-29/ (Nothing there)

This might be because the calendar only updates for 2 months out. I'm not sure. Officially though it will be a few months at least. I'm pretty bummed that it will be closed because it's a pretty integral classic attraction for me. It'll be back though. If this last year has taught us anything, it's patience
              Oh cool...and thanks for looking at the Refurb schedule, didnt even think of that. Hopefully thats the case...as its a top3 for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I second that and welcome a full return to fix this. Most blame the track but those of old enough know the track was always a lil jarring to feel like an actual toboggan. It's definitely the new seats that were done in order for them to cram in more guests that are the issue. They force you to open up your hips putting unwanted pressure on your tail bone and lower back. I think they need to go back to the old toboggans even with the lap sitting as most people do not mind sitting that way with friends and family. This used to be one of my top 5 rides in the park now it's a once a year experience just to remind myself how horrible it now is.
                Yea I know the obvious complaints and have ridden this bad boy for over 30 years now! Like I have mentioned in some of my previous posts about riding it...just lean forward, holding the handle bars in front of you and lean into every dip and turn (kind of like riding a bike or quad). But as soon as your back hits the seat...game over :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

Yea I know the obvious complaints and have ridden this bad boy for over 30 years now! Like I have mentioned in some of my previous posts about riding it...just lean forward, holding the handle bars in front of you and lean into every dip and turn (kind of like riding a bike or quad). But as soon as your back hits the seat...game over :-)
                  Well I think part of my problem is I am over 6' and 300lbs of fear and romance so even though I fit my knees are pretty much in my armpits. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                    I think when the piece fell off in 2019 they started to really examine the entire structure and I heard rumors that they have to do extensive work to keep the ride safe as parts of the structure have started shifting and buckling. ( this is rumor not confirmed ) For its day it was impressive by modern standards ( as an engineering relative of mine says ) it's now in need of some "serious shoring up".
                    "WELL"
                    It is Disney oldest Mountain.
                    I still glad it's at Disneyland...........
                    But the Matterhorn, does need a lots of "TLC"

I'm for much better~ Bobsleds~
                    ,than they do have right now -IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

One possible reason is that they may be planning out early refurbishments of headliners before Splash Mountain goes down for its retheme in the immediate future. That way they won't have 2 or more headline attractions closed in parks.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                        One possible reason is that they may be planning out early refurbishments of headliners before Splash Mountain goes down for its retheme in the immediate future. That way they won't have 2 or more headline attractions closed in parks.
                        well, that is typical of Disney so that would make sense, but I think it might have more to do with maintenance that was desperately needed on the attraction that they may not have noticed until they started to do all the tests a 3-4 weeks ago. With how old that mountain is, it wouldn't be the most surprising situation for problems to have arisen after such a long period of not being operated. TBH I wonder how many other attraction needed at least some minor work during the last few weeks and we just don't know due to them being open already.
                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                        July 13th-18th
                        November 19th-25th

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X