Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Main Street Music Loop Change

On Friday, April 30th, the normal Main Street music loop was playing. I know it well, and had there been any changes I would have noticed right away. On Saturday afternoon near closing time, an entirely new loop was playing. The songs were not in the era, and they were Disney melodies. Here is a partial listing:

Mickey Mouse Club March
    It's a Small World
    When You Wish Upon A Star
    Casey Jr.
    Under the Sea
    Saludos Amigos
    Mary Poppins Medley
    Heigh-Ho

I used Shazam to see if I could find the artist, and the ones that I could get a result for said "The Neverland Orchestra."

To be clear, this was on Main Street. This was not in the Esplanade. Once I left the park I could hear the normal Esplanade music loop.

So, my question is, when did they start doing this? In the morning and early afternoon the usual Main Street loop is playing. That has not changed.

I searched up one of the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVvktGBemME

The week before closure, I frequented Disneyland and DCA until the evening. I was in Main Street as things began to get dark and the lights flickered on. I would recall hearing a tune like this.

Rating for Main Street standards: 👎︎

Comment

This is really interesting. The last time I truly closed out the park (1am departure) was in November 2019. After that I continued using my AP through February 2020 and would stay usually until an hour or two before closing. I also have the Main Street, U.S.A. music loop downloaded and know it by heart, and I never heard a single instrumental version of a Disney song played other than "Married Life" on Main Street. That tells me these are likely some new additions to the loop at night that were added sometime after that. Of course, I have no precise date information, but hopefully my personal perspective along with Captain Andy's sheds some light.

I tried digging up some background information on the Neverland Orchestra and can find next to nothing. I have found some playlists on Spotify that feature them, but they appear region locked and I don't have a VPN. However, starting a radio station for the Neverland Orchestra leads to a mix of soundtracks and Japanese songs and artists from the Tokyo Disney Resort, so maybe a VPN based in Japan would yield some results. From the looks of things, a channel on YouTube has been uploading Neverland Orchestra songs since 2018 along with many other re-recorded Disney songs by everyone from Japanese musicians to Dave Brubeck (who died in 2012). I've tried to find versions of the songs you listed, so maybe you can figure out if they match up.

My guess is these are tracks that were recorded for the Asia parks. Whoever oversees the music loops in Disneyland has probably moved on from removing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" from every playlist and is now trying to add a more "Disney" energy for Main Street at night as you exit the park. And now that I know it exists, I keep thinking how hilarious it would be to hear Disney's version of Ave Maria play on Main Street. I think these songs actually sound great for the Esplanade, and I wouldn't mind them replacing "Hooray for Hollywood" or "First Day" from Finding Nemo, but I'm not sure how they'll fit for me. I might even prefer a more relaxing nighttime music loop for Main Street, U.S.A, as long as the recordings match the time period.

Neverland Orchestra Songs
      Mickey Mouse Club March
      It's a Small World
      Casey Jr.
      Under the Sea
      Saludos Amigos
      Mary Poppins Medley - Spoonful of Sugar, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, Chim Chim Cher-ee, Let's Go Fly a Kite (Columbia Orchestra?), Stay Awake/Feed the Birds mashup (Fred Mollin),
      Heigh-Ho

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
        On Friday, April 30th, the normal Main Street music loop was playing. I know it well, and had there been any changes I would have noticed right away. On Saturday afternoon near closing time, an entirely new loop was playing. The songs were not in the era, and they were Disney melodies. Here is a partial listing:

Mickey Mouse Club March
        It's a Small World
        Casey Jr.
        Under the Sea
        Saludos Amigos
        Mary Poppins Medley
        Heigh-Ho

I used Shazam to see if I could find the artist, and the ones that I could get a result for said "The Neverland Orchestra."

To be clear, this was on Main Street. This was not in the Esplanade. Once I left the park I could hear the normal Esplanade music loop.

So, my question is, when did they start doing this? In the morning and early afternoon the usual Main Street loop is playing. That has not changed.

I have not been back to the park so I'm not sure what the loop sounds like, but there were several covers of Disney songs by the The Neverland Orchestra in a set called "Disney's Instrumental Collection" that is on YouTube but that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. I would imagine that album has the other covers in the loop that were not done by the Neverland Orchestra.

The Neverland Orchestra versions of Mickey Mouse Club March, Heigh-Ho, It's a Small World, and (probably now removed) Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah were also in the Goofy's Kitchen Loop as recently as a year or two ago if anyone is familiar with that.

Main Street USA has only had one area music loop through out the day at least since the last time I went right at the end of 2019, I would guess this is a new addition since the parks have reopened. I know the Morning AM/Evening PM loops are found in a number of other places like Aulani and in Paris on their Main Street but I've never heard of it being used in Anaheim.
        "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
        "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
          And now that I know it exists, I keep thinking how hilarious it would be to hear Disney's version of Ave Maria play on Main Street.
          It could still happen with the Candlelight Procession

Comment

Sadly, it's another reminder that the management making the decisions at Disneyland see the Park as a marketing platform. Disney gets no marketing synergy advantage with turn-of-the-century music. From their viewpoint, thousands of customers leaving the park down Main Street is a marketing opportunity to make a final IP impression -- one that their CEO (a marketing guru who was formerly head of Disney Consumer Products) would disapprove of if they let it go to waste.

Bottom line: "When IP-marketing talks, theme walks."
            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-03-2021, 03:11 PM.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Good line.......It all about "ADVERTISMENT"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Sadly, it's another reminder that the management making the decisions at Disneyland see the Park as a marketing platform. Disney gets no marketing synergy advantage with turn-of-the-century music. From their viewpoint, thousands of customers leaving the park down Main Street is a marketing opportunity to make a final IP impression -- one that their CEO (a marketing guru who was formerly head of Disney Consumer Products) would disapprove of if they let it go to waste.

Exactly. Apparently some charming old-fashioned music to get you in the mood for Main Street isn't worth it under the current Disney regime. It seems like this decision could have been made by the same people that greenlit the store in the Main Street Cinema. I'll be enjoying the unique Disneyland background music now more then ever since this trend might very well continue.
                Brian the Pooh

Comment

"AMAZING"
                  Turning music loop, into a true "LOOP"
                  At the same getting away from Theming............
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Very very lame, if permanent.

Comment

Was it coincidence that the loop changed after the CEO visited Main Street USA the previous day?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                        Was it coincidence that the loop changed after the CEO visited Main Street USA the previous day?
                        I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was actually true. Especially since it seems they just ripped a soundtrack from another park.
                        Brian the Pooh

Comment

Needless to say, this is awful news. Talk about a bad last-impression of the day.

Has anyone figured out what time the loop changes?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                            Could be, but it's equally likely that Chapek didn't directly order it done. He wouldn't have to. Like many hierarchically structured corporations, Disney's management culture is intensely hive-minded. You move up the ladder by talking the management talk and walking the management walk. Anticipating what the boss wants. In this case, whoever came up with the idea gets gold stars.

To Disney's marketing-dominated management, DLR is not a brand in itself, but a place that customers visit to experience Disney brands. In that mindset, playing Disney songs for them as they leave the park "enhances the Guest experience."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Someone please tell
                              me this was a fluke, a joke, a audio programming mistake? Please for the love of the universe tell
                              me that they aren’t replacing the century Main Street loop in the afternoon with disney melodies.

Comment

They might as well play this at closing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phQw3xZS_Cs

Comment

Originally posted by CAspace View Post
                                  Someone please tell
                                  me this was a fluke, a joke, a audio programming mistake? Please for the love of the universe tell
                                  me that they aren’t replacing the century Main Street loop in the afternoon with disney melodies.
                                  Sadly, it comes from the same place as replacing turn-of-the-century Penny Arcade machines with Disney plush.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

I wish the park was privately owned by a billionaire true Disneyland fan. Is Ms. Gates a Disneyland fan?

Comment

To Disney's marketing-dominated management, DLR is not a brand in itself, but a place that customers visit to experience Disney brands. In that mindset, playing Disney songs for them as they leave the park "enhances the Guest experience."
                                      Also there " $HOPPING " experience !

As you point out it a mindset ,marketing game ........IMO

Disney love hearing the casher,$$$ as the money roll in $$$

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'm not a fan of this change at all however, the new music only plays from the speakers in Town Square. Main Street and the Hub still play the standard Main Street Music throughout the evening. The new music loop is a temporary change for the re-opening so the characters can give a kiss goodnight to guests from the train station.
                                        As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X