Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elon Musk: Save Tomorrowland!

With his deep pockets and futuristic tech, wouldn't Elon Musk be a great sponsor for a new/restored Tomorrowland at Disneyland?

I fear it will never happen without an outside partner. And it would be a great place to showcase his company's developments. Seems like a perfect blend.

Elon: save Walt's legacy!

I disagree. He has become somewhat of a loose cannon with his comments and stunts. He openly smoked marijuana on a podcast. He said the coronavirus would go away by April 2020(just 5 months after the outbreak began). He named his son 'X AE A-XII'. And that is only smidge of his past controversies.

Comment

I agree with Spongeocto4, it would tie Disneyland too much to the real world; if ever Elon Musk is in the news for something bad that would now be reflected at Disneyland to an extent. I wouldn't mind Tesla being the sponsor of one attraction, just as Autopia, its a small world, and Tiki Room all have a sponsor, but I don't want Tomorrowland to become one big advertisement for a company, as much as the land needs help.
      Brian the Pooh

Comment

Separate from just his ethical and personal issues, he as a person is significantly less reliable than the numerous business ventures he's involved in. Disney reaching out to him, as opposed to say Tesla or SpaceX, would be strange and unusual compared to their past behaviours.

Granted, even Disney teaming up with Tesla to rebuild TomorrowLand wouldn't be free of problems, as Musk's own personal agenda includes using the companies that are trying to distance themselves from him to boost his own image. Disney say, having Tesla sponsor autopia, would almost certainly result in Musk creating a PR nightmare as he would probably take every chance to claim his hand was directly holding the pen on that sponsorship; Disney would end up having to backpedal any statements he makes about choices he wasn't involved it (as he tends to do).

Reguardless of the " mysticism" and softening of Walt's image we in the Disney community and the brand itself practices; I don't think it could really touch on what would need to happen if they entered some type of sponsorship with Musk or any of his companies. Musk is frankly, a man of generational wealth, born out of apartheid weakth at that, who has educated himself enough on what it's needed to present as if he is the guiding hand on a number of companies with thousands of people doing the actual research, work, and development, while somehow managing to present in such a way that it ends up erasing a lot of those people to the general public and only building his own ego. That REALLY doesn't feel like something Disney should be associated with.

Comment

Interesting topic! But no. I agree with the points made above.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
            With his deep pockets and futuristic tech, wouldn't Elon Musk be a great sponsor for a new/restored Tomorrowland at Disneyland?

I fear it will never happen without an outside partner. And it would be a great place to showcase his company's developments. Seems like a perfect blend.

Elon: save Walt's legacy!
            Not a bad idea to get Tesla and especially SpaceX to sponsor new rides. I understand Musk rubs some people the wrong way but Disney could limit his involvement through negotiations, as is their prerogative no matter who the CEO is. Whatever it takes to resurrect the best land in the park from the dead, even if for a short while.

Having said that, unless those or any other companies are prepared to sponsor IP based attractions, which would seem to limit their incentive, it’s probably not going to happen under this management. The original concept for Tomorrowland will probably remain dead for a long time, perhaps forever.
            Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 05-09-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Its an interesting idea and I do see the potential, but I agree with most of the above posters: the guy's a loose cannon, probably not worth the risk.

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
              Having said that, unless those or any other companies are prepared to sponsor IP based attractions, which would seem to limit their incentive, it’s probably not going to happen under this management. The original concept for Tomorrowland will probably remain dead for a long time, perhaps forever.
              Yes, I think that ship's pretty definitely sailed, unfortunately. Personally I just want them to bring back the aesthetic (bring back all the motion!) at this point.

Comment

This is more broadly a question of the "Tomorrowland Problem." That is: if Tomorrowland is based on real science/technology, it gets outdated quickly. And of it's based on science fiction, it turns into "sci-fi Fantasyland" rather than "Tomorrowland."

That being said, I honestly think "the Tomorrowland Problem" might be far less of a problem than we usually think, because there is a solution that avoids circumvents all of those issues: Tomorrowland can be based on the abstract ideal of looking towards the future, bettering ourselves as a species, and celebrating the excitement/promise of science/technology.

There is one attraction in Tomorrowland that already does this: Space Mountain. It's a piece of abstraction expressionist art, about the excitement/promise of space travel/exploration, not moored to a specific mission or technology. And that's why it's timeless: staying relevant and popular since 1977 (with the help of some excellent examples of "plussing the show" done right through the years).

(FoxxFur, does this reasoning appear sound to you, if I may be so presumptuous as to ping you like this?)

Comment

No, I am tired of also hearing this man!

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post

That being said, I honestly think "the Tomorrowland Problem" might be far less of a problem than we usually think, because there is a solution that avoids circumvents all of those issues: Tomorrowland can be based on the abstract ideal of looking towards the future, bettering ourselves as a species, and celebrating the excitement/promise of science/technology.

There is one attraction in Tomorrowland that already does this: Space Mountain. It's a piece of abstraction expressionist art, about the excitement/promise of space travel/exploration, not moored to a specific mission or technology. And that's why it's timeless: staying relevant and popular since 1977 (with the help of some excellent examples of "plussing the show" done right through the years).
                    I love this idea. That's basically what Epcot's Future World was going for until recently, and I think Future World was one of Imagineering's best concepts. I think if Disney could put in attractions in the same vein as Living with the Land then Tomorrowland could be really inspiring like it was intended. It would also need a major aesthetic change from the ground up in my opinion, as whereas all the other areas of Disneyland are welcoming and invoke escapism, most of Tomorrowland just looks too much like a shopping mall to me. Keep Space Mountain and the submarine area, but I wouldn't mind seeing the rest get changed.
                    Brian the Pooh

Comment

A lot of mod 1967 Tomorrowland had that same abstract appeal, especially Adventure Thru Inner Space -- When is shrinking to the size of a molecule ever going to get old? But look at the once utopian, now controversial sponsor -- Monsanto!

Comment

...I honestly think "the Tomorrowland Problem" might be far less of a problem than we usually think, because there is a solution that avoids circumvents all of those issues: Tomorrowland can be based on the abstract ideal of looking towards the future, bettering ourselves as a species, and celebrating the excitement/promise of science/technology....
                        Well said. I've long felt that Disney should convene a "Tomorrowland think tank" -- a virtual workgroup that includes the world's top scientists and futurists, the world's top architects and designers, WDI's top current and retired imagineers, and cutting-edge-tech filmmakers like James Cameron -- to envision the future 250 to 500 years out. Elon Musk would certainly be a participant. The group's work would be the basis of a mind-blowing new Tomorrowland. The project could return Disney to the status it enjoyed in the 1950s and 60s as world-class innovators and visionaries -- and might even influence policy makers, as Disney's "Man in Space" series did in the 1950s.
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Elon Musk
                          Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                          No, I am tired of also hearing this man!
                          I with you.......he on the NEWS way to much IMO
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

On the other side of the coin here, I live about 15 miles from the Gigafactory and know a number of people who work there.

His company pays well and seems able to retain employees, quite the opposite of Disney.

Perhaps if he were to purchase Disney, things may very well improve.

Maybe not though.......

Yes, he is somewhat of a loose cannon, on the other hand, other independent thinkers who were an overall benefit to society had the same tendencies.

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
                              On the other side of the coin here, I live about 15 miles from the Gigafactory and know a number of people who work there.

His company pays well and seems able to retain employees, quite the opposite of Disney.

Perhaps if he were to purchase Disney, things may very well improve.

Maybe not though.......

Yes, he is somewhat of a loose cannon, on the other hand, other independent thinkers who were an overall benefit to society had the same tendencies.
                              IMO
                              Reading the News, I find his comments and I also see him as a loose cannon
                              But also have to say ,he does retain employees and pays well !
                              For him to own Disney...."INTERESTING"
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'd guess that if an Elon Musk type became interested in something like this, they'd just go build their own park somewhere, rather than bothering with Disney or focusing on just the one land.

I always hold a hope that some idealistic dreamer billionaire will do this some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                  I disagree. He has become somewhat of a loose cannon with his comments and stunts. He openly smoked marijuana on a podcast. He said the coronavirus would go away by April 2020(just 5 months after the outbreak began). He named his son 'X AE A-XII'. And that is only smidge of his past controversies.
                                  The guy reinvented electric cars and is working on taking people to Mars. If anyone has the money and a vision it's Elon! Yes he is still human and I think that's why people like him. While I don't agree with smoking marijuana personally it is widely accepted and i really doubt he would suggest futuristic pot gardens for Disneyland. He does have a child with an original name but what does that matter? I'm sure he will want to bring his kid to Disneyland at some point and just imagine the shock when he sees Tomorrowland! Is Coke really a better sponsor with their toxic offerings that rot your insides?

I would love to see little Tesla cars instead of exhaust belching cars from the 50's running around and maybe a version of his rocket up there!

Comment

This is more broadly a question of the "Tomorrowland Problem." That is: if Tomorrowland is based on real science/technology, it gets outdated quickly. And of it's based on science fiction, it turns into "sci-fi Fantasyland" rather than "Tomorrowland."

(FoxxFur, does this reasoning appear sound to you, if I may be so presumptuous as to ping you like this?)
                                    I think you are correct about doing something abstract vs making it really a futuristic place. Already have Star Wars \ Galaxy's Edge which basically screams futuristic so it's tough to compete with that. I think you are correct on taking a different angle.

Comment

Stick with making my favorite car...and stay outta my Spiritual Church (DL) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post

The guy reinvented electric cars and is working on taking people to Mars. If anyone has the money and a vision it's Elon! Yes he is still human and I think that's why people like him. While I don't agree with smoking marijuana personally it is widely accepted and i really doubt he would suggest futuristic pot gardens for Disneyland. He does have a child with an original name but what does that matter? I'm sure he will want to bring his kid to Disneyland at some point and just imagine the shock when he sees Tomorrowland! Is Coke really a better sponsor with their toxic offerings that rot your insides?

I would love to see little Tesla cars instead of exhaust belching cars from the 50's running around and maybe a version of his rocket up there!
                                        Only for wealthy people. Tesla cars are not attainable for the vast majority of people because they're way too expensive, and cool, he wants to take multi millionaires to space, I want to take poor kids from the streets on those trips instead. And even further, I want to find a solution for climate change that can work for all of us, rather than an emergency exit strategy that only works for the wealthy elites.
                                        Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                                        July 13th-18th
                                        November 19th-25th

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X