Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Virtual Queues going to start making MP's and FP's a thing of the past?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Are Virtual Queues going to start making MP's and FP's a thing of the past?

With yesterdays announcement of Indiana Jones is going virtual queue is this another DLR dream being expedited? I think many of us feel or know that DLR pre-covid wanted to have all entries require reservations and FP/MP to be subsetted for virtual queues based on their own moves and many question on surveys that many of us received. With Covid they realize they no longer have to massage in these changes, they can now force them in under the guise of Covid. I know many are hoping AP's go away but like I mentioned on other threads I do not see that happening. However what do see happening is not only will all but maybe the top their MP ( Membership Program aka AP) be reservation required for each visit but I see Fast/MaxPass going away for good and being replaced with virtual queue. DLR execs have mentioned how they want people out of lines numerous times because they know if your in line you are likely not buying food and merch etc.. So they make everything virtual queue and gain back some of the real-estate they currently use for long switchback queus and put Food/Merch carts in their place. etc. Also since they have you on the app throughout the day they can market to you more heavily through the app. You bring up the App in Fantasyland to get a virtual queue for Matterhorn and your hit with an Ad for a Turkey legs. or the new Mickey Ears released that week etc. Also this allows them to send you across the park more just like how bread and milk are often of opposite sides of the store the more they get you to traverse the park the more you are likely to see something you want to purchase. Also the FP/Maxpass system is not cheap for them to run whether the cost of all the printed ticket machines or all the pass scan kiosks that could be used for things they prefer such as weight times ( which also will advertise to you ) and other park announcements such as show schedules or they can rip them out and regain some space.

Being a virtual gate keeper like this allows DLR to have a lot more control over your experience they will see it as a way to "enhance your experience" but the reality is it is just their way to control your experience more to have the ability to better sell to you. As long as they allow you to still queue up I am a bit on the fence about this change but if they require virtual queue only then I think it will lead to issues where guests can't ride the attraction they want due to not being able to obtain a virtual queue for the entire day leaving many guests frustrated. (RotR issues but park wide are not going to impress guests)

Plus if they no longer have MP's then that is one less cost so they can market it as a savings to everyone ( though I would not put it past them to sell a Virtual Queue+ program in the future )

Anyone else noticing this possibility?
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

This is kind of disappointing, the fastpass system always worked for me. Hopefully the regular queue can still be used and the virtual reservation will just be another option. Going full virtual queue means I have to be on my phone a lot at Disneyland, which, frankly, I'm getting tired of.
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

Good topic...and yes I was kind of torn with this most recent news and how I feel about this. As I do agree that this is basically a "testing phase" that DL wants to try out and promote. But the more and more DL/DCA decide to do these VQ's...the harder it will be to try and create and manage accounts on the app. As I have older kids and they def dont want to hang around us older folks, and trying to ride rides that utilize VQ's is going to be a frekain nightmare! I feel that DL and DCA will now need to hire Phone & App tech support when dealing with everything technical now. It kind of feels like now that the app is so intertwined with the overall experience at the parks that it also takes away from the overall nostalgia of being there and instead now another excuse to glue our eyes and attention to yet another electronic device (phone) instead of being present in the moment....little sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
        This is kind of disappointing, the fastpass system always worked for me. Hopefully the regular queue can still be used and the virtual reservation will just be another option. Going full virtual queue means I have to be on my phone a lot at Disneyland, which, frankly, I'm getting tired of.
        Its like we read each others mind

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

Its like we read each others mind
          Yep. The maxpass had its positives (it saves paper on fastpass), but I found that constantly having to stop walking to scroll through an app did detract a bit from the Disneyland experience.
          Brian the Pooh

Comment

Concur. The amount of phone/screen time I needed in WDW was nauseating and killed my phone. I don't like using my phone on vacation - especially when I'm with my kids. I also miss the spontaneity of going to the parks and what I ride/enjoy whenever. I don't want to have to preplan my entire trip via reservations and an app.

Comment

It's Paul "Mr. Mall" Pressler's dream come true: Keep as many customers as possible out on the walkways, moving past potential points of sale. Get 'em in and out of the rides as quickly as you can. "A customer can't buy high-markup merch and food when he's sitting on his wallet in a ride -- or standing in a queue."

Oh, and set it up so the customers themselves do the work of scheduling their reservations, rides and meals. Less need to hire, train and pay Customer Service CMs.

Not to mention using the app for marketing.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Yep. The maxpass had its positives (it saves paper on fastpass), but I found that constantly having to stop walking to scroll through an app did detract a bit from the Disneyland experience.
                I always did that from inside the queue or a nearby shop when I wasn't moving around anyway
                Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                July 13th-18th
                November 19th-25th

Comment

Please for the love of all things good, NO Thank You. I have zero desire to go to Disneyland on vacation and most likely NOT be able to check out one (or more) of the rides just because my phone is slow to load things.
                  Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                  July 13th-18th
                  November 19th-25th

Comment

The virtual queue (VQ) allows Disney to control the physical demands on the attractions for better or worse. Did AP haters really think it was only APs Disney wanted to clean up?

I could see paper FP going away as (thus far) the VQs are free and offer a similar experience to FP when you boil it down (in that VQs allow the guest to “wait in line” while they do other things until the return slot).

However, it’s harder to imagine an upsell like MP going away since it provides revenue. I could see it co-existing where the VQ wait is longer and the MP is shorter with faster return times. Thus, MP would be closer to Universal’s and Knott’s system where you pay more to wait less. And the cherry for Disney (not the guest necessarily) is that it doesn’t look like they are adding a skip the line pass (something that puts a bad taste in guests mouths) since VQ is free.
                    Last edited by Jesser-pie; 05-11-2021, 11:07 AM. Reason: Nails. I cannot have long ones. I don’t know how people do it.

Comment

I agree with all of the above sentiments. I only like to bring my phone out to take photos and then just leave it in my pocket for the remainder of the day, I find DLR interesting and entertaining enough that I never feel bored enough to get on my phone. I even have a reply programmed into my Apple watch so I can reply to any calls I recognize but are not urgent with a text: "Sorry I cannot answer your call/message right now as I am at Disneyland". I want to be 100% in the moment with my wife and kids and sometimes friends when I am there. I also would do all my Max Passing while in-line, basically I would book my first MP once in the park and then set an alarm for the next windows to open and once in a line for an attraction the next seat of MP would be obtained after discussing with the family, and we would repeat this throughout the day often riding 3-8 rides a day via Max pass. I would be willing to see Max pass yesterday'ed if that meant it would just go back to the traditional line scenario that I feel was best. My only experience with virtual queue is not being able to get one with RofR which as you can imagine has not endeared me to the idea.

As much as I am a planner I really prefer to minimize the need for it when I go to the parks. Sadly those days seem to be going to Yesterland soon.

The world is embarking on an over dependence of screens that is now spilling into the daily life to a point where WALL-E seems more like a documentary than work of fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                        I agree with all of the above sentiments. I only like to bring my phone out to take photos and then just leave it in my pocket for the remainder of the day, I find DLR interesting and entertaining enough that I never feel bored enough to get on my phone. I even have a reply programmed into my Apple watch so I can reply to any calls I recognize but are not urgent with a text: "Sorry I cannot answer your call/message right now as I am at Disneyland". I want to be 100% in the moment with my wife and kids and sometimes friends when I am there. I also would do all my Max Passing while in-line, basically I would book my first MP once in the park and then set an alarm for the next windows to open and once in a line for an attraction the next seat of MP would be obtained after discussing with the family, and we would repeat this throughout the day often riding 3-8 rides a day via Max pass. I would be willing to see Max pass yesterday'ed if that meant it would just go back to the traditional line scenario that I feel was best. My only experience with virtual queue is not being able to get one with RofR which as you can imagine has not endeared me to the idea.

As much as I am a planner I really prefer to minimize the need for it when I go to the parks. Sadly those days seem to be going to Yesterland soon.

The world is embarking on an over dependence of screens that is now spilling into the daily life to a point where WALL-E seems more like a documentary than work of fiction.
                        Perfectly said!

Comment

I don't think I can say anything that would be any different than the above comments.

I don't necessarily like to take out my phone while I'm at Disneyland. I've never used MP (and I'm technically part of the Gen Z crowd). I like to physically talk with cast members, and say something silly to brighten their day when possible. I'm okay with waiting in line for reservations to the Lamplight Lounge. Mobile ordering is just not my thing.

I just don't like the idea that people need to refer to their phones for everything. It's my pet peeve when I'm hanging with friends or relatives and their phones are out. I know that's just a personal thing, and phones are part of today's culture. I just hope it's not expected from us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                            I don't think I can say anything that would be any different than the above comments.

I don't necessarily like to take out my phone while I'm at Disneyland. I've never used MP (and I'm technically part of the Gen Z crowd). I like to physically talk with cast members, and say something silly to brighten their day when possible. I'm okay with waiting in line for reservations to the Lamplight Lounge. Mobile ordering is just not my thing.

I just don't like the idea that people need to refer to their phones for everything. It's my pet peeve when I'm hanging with friends or relatives and their phones are out. I know that's just a personal thing, and phones are part of today's culture. I just hope it's not expected from us all.
                            see what I like about MaxPass is that it is optional, and if mobile ordering is optional, that is fine too. What I'm not ok with is making the phones be required for any purpose at the parks.
                            Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                            July 13th-18th
                            November 19th-25th

Comment

I do not like the Concept neither...............
                              But afraid the way Disney is going ?
                              imo
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I had little problem with the old fast pass system, but max pass needs to go.

My complaint isn't only that it required an upcharge to utilize, even though it did. My main beef with it was the trouble it caused to stand by lines, as it took up every fast pass time slot available for every attraction permitted, in order to not simply slow stand by lines down, but absolutely grind them to a halt.

They can't expect to sell merchandise when customers are trapped in three hour long lines for attractions.

Comment

I really hope they do not move to a virtual cue system full time, I understand moving that direction with COVID protocols for Indy and to try to control the craziness of a new attraction but I really do not think it is a good move once COVID protocols are fully lifted. I think Max pass is a great option but I do wish they would at least give a magic band option for redeeming the fast pass at the entrance as I hate having to use my phone and the paper tickets can get damaged with extended use. I hope that the fastpass plus from Disney World never makes its way to California though. I hate having to book rides that far in advance it takes the spontaneity of the experience away and the tier system makes it almost worthless as I find myself holding a fast pass for a walk on ride while having to chose which long line I would rather wait in. I do think if Disney is going to keep max pass going they do need to really evaluate which rides truly need it as it does tend to create long stand by wait times.
                                  BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I also agree with what many have mentioned FP/MP whether via paper ticket, app or virtual queue do so at the expense of guests standing inline for much longer than they would have had the queue been just a standard line. Fast pass is a short cut for the few at the expense of the many, which in our modern world we already see too much of. By my estimate FP/Max Passes add about 25% to any wait time for a popular attractions like RSR. This adds a good 20 minutes on average to everyone in the queues wait time (at best, for worse case scenario see below).

My wife and I once got in line at GofG for a 45min wait time & as the line grew behind us it took us over 90+ minutes to get on the ride! Why?!? Was an elevator down, where two elevators down, nope it was because the CM was letting in 3 FP groups to one queue group. We did not realize this until we got the lobby area and witnessed it first hand. People were seriously ready to burn the place down and asked the CM why he was letting so many FP walk on while neglecting the queue line he stated it was policy to let 3-1 FP to line waiters enter the ride. It was the only time I have ever filed a complaint on the way out. I did not complain about the CM, I simply stated the policy he was given was ignorant at best and was putting the CM in a bad position. ( I don't hate the player, I hate the game ) FP isn't meant as a walk on ticket it's simply a ticket to a shorter line.
                                    Last edited by Starcade; 05-12-2021, 10:28 AM. Reason: keyboard challenged.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. The less time on my cell phone the better when on vacation! I didn't mind paying extra for MaxPass but if they keep the crowds down it's not really needed right? What happens when you lose your phone or it breaks while in the park? Is my whole day shot because I can't provide a digital ticket, get food or book a ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post

I couldn't agree more. The less time on my cell phone the better when on vacation! I didn't mind paying extra for MaxPass but if they keep the crowds down it's not really needed right? What happens when you lose your phone or it breaks while in the park? Is my whole day shot because I can't provide a digital ticket, get food or book a ride?
                                        Excellent observation and thought....as I never thought about that even being a possibility. So yea...what happens in the event my phone craps out (breaks, crashes, cracks...and numerous other Technical problems that come with having a phone).

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X