Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Chapek Variety Article

I thought this might be of interest to micechatters. We've been talking about and expressing concerns over Bob Chapek for years on the Disneyland thread, and now major news outlets are catching on.
    Disney dramatically reorganized its entertainment business and that's leading to bruised egos among top creative executives and tensions.
    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 05-14-2021, 03:08 PM.
    Brian the Pooh

The future of Disney really does seem to be Disney+.

Comment

If Chapek sidelines Iger and Horn completely before their sunset date, he better have a good reason for doing so. The Board will not look favorably on casting out their Chairman if Chapek doesn't start getting some real returns on his content. It's never enough to just meet Wall St.'s expectations, he has to do what Iger did and routinely beat them.

The difference is, Iger came in after executive-level turmoil and still managed to grow the company tremendously despite a major financial recession. Chapek has been weathering COVID from the very beginning, but that's only helped Disney+'s subscriber numbers. Once things normalize, the parks have to set revenue records, movies need to start putting butts in seats, and Disney+ subs need to keep growing.

My guess is, Chapek will struggle to cut even more costs just to pad the revenues, but it will only be a matter of time before the pent-up demand fades and declining value becomes evident with YoY increases either meeting or falling short of expectations like they did this week. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, Chapek's tenure may be shorter than he expects.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
        If Chapek sidelines Iger and Horn completely before their sunset date, he better have a good reason for doing so. The Board will not look favorably on casting out their Chairman if Chapek doesn't start getting some real returns on his content. It's never enough to just meet Wall St.'s expectations, he has to do what Iger did and routinely beat them.

The difference is, Iger came in after executive-level turmoil and still managed to grow the company tremendously despite a major financial recession. Chapek has been weathering COVID from the very beginning, but that's only helped Disney+'s subscriber numbers. Once things normalize, the parks have to set revenue records, movies need to start putting butts in seats, and Disney+ subs need to keep growing.

My guess is, Chapek will struggle to cut even more costs just to pad the revenues, but it will only be a matter of time before the pent-up demand fades and declining value becomes evident with YoY increases either meeting or falling short of expectations like they did this week. I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm right, Chapek's tenure may be shorter than he expects.
        I am not a fan of Chapek, and I hope tenure is short. I don’t think he fit for Disney.

Comment

The article confirmed one of my concerns regarding Chapek's tenure; he's appointing consumer products executives to high positions in other divisions. The article actually describes the consumer products people as "Chapek allies". I'm concerned this trend will spill into the theme park division, as I'd rather have the folks running the parks be people who worked their way through that division.
          Brian the Pooh

Comment

Read through it, felt the line about stuff like "Pirates of the Caribbean" needing to be re-booted in order to stay relevant was silly. The attraction has been ingrained in pop culture long before it's film adaptations and even those first three alone were good enough to likely hold their own long term, in my eyes.

Also, the statement, “You need that project that will inspire the next roller coaster,” the source said. Or, vice versa, as was the case with Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise and the upcoming “Jungle Cruise.” is pretty much all the proof we need that we'll never see something totally original akin to Mansion or Pirates, ever be built in Anaheim again. Confirmation that all future attractions will either be directly pulled from proven box office successes or box office successes will tried to be pulled from current attractions and that's just the way the company is going to stay.

I'll admit that Disney has full claim to flexing their creative muscles in the art of film. Their original films and animated movies are still great (most of the time) and they deserve credit for 'em and the right to utilize 'em. I just wish they'd apply those same sorts of creative minds and take those kinds of chances with their theme park offerings once in a while. It doesn't even have to be all the time. Just would like them to remind us every now and again why WDI became king.
            "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Like I have said in the past I give Chapek two years tops if he goes longer I fear for the future of the parks.

He's using poor choices of words trying to stoke Wall Street with phrases and terms that he thinks Main Street guests won't catch. He's made his intentions knows that guests are just cattle to him and a group that needs to be farmed and exploited for the sake of his shareholder buddies. With Iger every move was polarizing at worse or seen as a positive but at least half of the population seem to approve, with chapek I have not seen a single move that has impressed...well anyone really? It's as if Iger elevated him knowing full well he would fail miserably just to further his own legacy as the premiere CEO of Disney in the modern era.

I have had multiple friends send me this and other articles knowing I am a huge DLR fan with comments like "man this chapek guy seems like an ( expletive )" or "So with this chapek guy do you think it's a good time short Disney stock?" and " is this the guy that ruined SWGE?" and one of my favorites "how did they go from the prestige of Iger to Hank from Breaking Bad?" lol!

The CEO needs to be somebody with a creative background either an Imagineer or a Studio Head with acting/writing/directing in their background I would love to see a Kim Irvine or a Pete Doctor in the CEO role. Somebody that has handled budgets and personnel at a large scale but also has a passion for a good narrative and enjoys creating experiences not just sales, DLR needs somebody that challenges others to create great things not just high profit margins. I want somebody who has done many of the jobs below them and has empathy for the CM's. Not just somebody that took great projects from his predecessor cut their budgets and then took credit for the whole thing as if it was his hands stacking plaster.
              Last edited by Starcade; 05-14-2021, 03:57 PM.
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                I'll admit that Disney has full claim to flexing their creative muscles in the art of film. Their original films and animated movies are still great (most of the time) and they deserve credit for 'em and the right to utilize 'em. I just wish they'd apply those same sorts of creative minds and take those kinds of chances with their theme park offerings once in a while. It doesn't even have to be all the time. Just would like them to remind us every now and again why WDI became king.
                A month before the pandemic started I met with a friend who worked at WDI and that conversation prepared me properly for the contents of this Variety article (and the future of Disneyland).

No one should expect anything original coming to Anaheim for a long, long time. And the people who made WDI great are moving to work in other parks for the creative freedom they deserve.

Comment

^ Good comments in all the above posts.

The danger to Disneyland runs deeper than Chapek, however. The danger is the Eisner/Iger mindset that empowered and elevated Chapek for years in his tenure as head of Consumer Products and then Parks, and ultimately as CEO.

He is doing exactly what the Company and the Board want. That's why he was selected. And sadly for those who love Disneyland, that's why he is likely to stay for a very long time.

As with the Pressler regime, the real damage will be done by the executives he brings in and promotes.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-14-2021, 05:14 PM.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

A month before the pandemic started I met with a friend who worked at WDI and that conversation prepared me properly for the contents of this Variety article (and the future of Disneyland).

No one should expect anything original coming to Anaheim for a long, long time. And the people who made WDI great are moving to work in other parks for the creative freedom they deserve.
                    My wife's cousin has a close friend who works in imagineering and he once told me that his friend basically said the typical project development goes like this:

Imagineer - "I have this great idea we can..."

Senior Management - "You've only been hear X amount of years drop the ideas and get back to work on the project of the Imagineers that have been here 20+ years"

20 years go by

Imagineer - " I have this great idea we can..."

Senior Management - "that's looks great how much will it cost?"

Imagineer - "It will cost $X"

Senior Management - "Ok your budget is half of $X finish the model and engineer it."

Imagineer - Brings the finished preview which is dramatically lacking due to only having half the budget

Senior Management - "What is this garbage looks amateurish"

Imagineer - "Well you cut my budget in half"

Senior Management - "Ok I will increase your budget by 10% make it happen or go work somewhere else you've already wasted all of our resources"

Imagineer - Begins making phone calls to other studios and theme parks for their next job.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                      He is doing exactly what the Company and the Board want. That's he was selected. And sadly for those who love Disneyland, that's why he is likely to stay for a very long time.
                      YEP...He be there for long time , as long he bring in the $ MONEY $
                      and that what the Board want !
                      That why IGER, is still on the Board

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                        ...Imagineer - Begins making phone calls to other studios and theme parks for their next job.
                        Spot on. That's the way it has been since the Eisner days. Which is why for years the joke in town has been "Disney hires and trains its own competition."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

My wife's cousin has a close friend who works in imagineering and he once told me that his friend basically said the typical project development goes like this:

Imagineer - "I have this great idea we can..."

Senior Management - "You've only been hear X amount of years drop the ideas and get back to work on the project of the Imagineers that have been here 20+ years"

20 years go by

Imagineer - " I have this great idea we can..."

Senior Management - "that's looks great how much will it cost?"

Imagineer - "It will cost $X"

Senior Management - "Ok your budget is half of $X finish the model and engineer it."

Imagineer - Brings the finished preview which is dramatically lacking due to only having half the budget

Senior Management - "What is this garbage looks amateurish"

Imagineer - "Well you cut my budget in half"

Senior Management - "Ok I will increase your budget by 10% make it happen or go work somewhere else you've already wasted all of our resources"

Imagineer - Begins making phone calls to other studios and theme parks for their next job.
                          Very accurate. The same friend told me that everyone there is in a constant state of frustration and you can feel a ballooning sense of resentment. Ideas are noted to death and sent to the grave. Even ideas based on IPs are noted to death and sent to their graves.

He found a new job and he's doing better!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Spot on. That's the way it has been since the Eisner days. Which is why for years the joke in town has been "Disney hires and trains its own competition."
                            GEEEE
                            I never thought about it ..?..But that True.........LoL
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

Exactly. Not every new attraction needs to be the next Haunted Mansion or Indiana Jones Adventure. But when Imagineering does create a truly mind-boggling experience, that is what creates lifelong fans of the parks.

Brian the Pooh

Comment

It's ironic after giving up on my dream of being an Imagineer because of eisner, his legacy now 30 years later is still eating away at the park like a cancer. DLR has grown and is making more money than ever ( minus the covid years ) yet DL pre-eisner seems to have so much more of the magic and prestige going for it.

When I was a kid/teen when you brought up Disneyland the talk was about magic and whimsey and how it is the happiest place on earth and the place everyone from around the globe dreams of going where the CM's are the highest of caliber employees with the greatest training, It's crowded ( this has always been a thing even when it was a fraction of crowds today )

Now you bring up Disneyland and topics bounce around from: way to expensive, CM's are rude, CM's are being mistreated by guests , CM's are being exploited, rides are always broken down, the crowds are terrible, exit through the gift shop, food has changed blah blah blah.

I want to see it go back to the how it was and I hold onto hope it can still happen.

Comment

I would also like to say it is very sad and telling that you start any thread about chapek and it begin to evolve into a piling on of grievances against him. Iger for all his miss steps and moves I think had as many supporters if not more than detractors. I remember 3-5 years ago Iger would come up and some had complaints but many came to his defense. It's kind of a bummer the emotions chapek brings out in us fans. We come here to share experiences and joy about a park we all love and now here it is yet another thread where we are expressing grievances and sadness. I'm just as guilty as anyone on this but its hard to hide ones feelings when the subject is something we are all passionate about.

Comment

This is sort of far-fetched but I wonder if Igers plan all along has been something like........things are starting to look bad around here, I'll step down and recommend a complete idiot to replace me but I'll stay on in some sort of a cushy role and when the new CEO completely fails, I'll offer to take the position but with a rather large increase in compensation.....say maybe 150 million or so....... Guaranteed of course.

I think Iger is plenty smart enough to pull this off.....and plenty greedy enough as well.

Comment

"So with this chapek guy do you think it's a good time short Disney stock?"
                                      I have half a mind to do this after reading the article.
                                      Brian the Pooh

Comment

When IGER got out of being CEO ....... FAST - But stay on the Board
                                        I believe he letting Chapek be the fall guy..........IMO
                                        Time will tell.........
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X