X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEB Slingers attraction will be compatible with Avengers Campus merchandise

Just posted to the Disney Parks Blog:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...eyland-resort/

"Now there is one SUPER thing we haven’t shared yet… While everyone will be able to sling webs on the attraction, for the first time ever on a Disney Parks attraction, you’ll be able to customize your experience aboard WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure with WEB Tech accessories. Yes, you read that correctly; when you gear up, you’ll be able to find your OWN powers and get a different experience aboard the attraction!​​​​​​

As a refresher, on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure, you’ll don 3D glasses on a test-drive of the aspiring inventor’s latest invention, the WEB Slinger vehicle, and discover your web-slinging super powers. Through specially designed, innovative technology that recognizes body movements and gestures, you’ll reach out your hands and sling webs from your wrists, just like Spider-Man!

First, you power up with a WEB Power Band. This base band features an attraction mode that unlocks multi-fire webs aboard WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure to personalize the game play for a cool, new experience on the attraction.

Then, you can find your own powers and add on WEB Tech inspired by some favorite Super Heroes including Spider-Man, Ghost Spider, Iron Man and Rescue to your WEB Power Bands. ...

... WEB Tech can change your powers on the attraction to those inspired by fan-favorite Super Heroes– from Spider-Man and Ghost Spider with electro-dynamic webs, to Iron Man and Rescue with repulsor blasts.

Spider-Man and Ghost Spider-inspired WEB Shooters change your powers to electro-dynamic webs on the attraction and at home, features lights, sounds, projections, and webs that eject and retract. Iron Man and Rescue-inspired Repulsor Cannons change your powers to repulsor blasts on the attraction and at home. They also light up and blast air while you practice your repulsor powers with training spheres."

So what do you guys think? Fun, innovative tech to expand each rider's experience when they desire? Or greedy, attraction upsell? You decide.
    "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

First thought –– Being a parent visiting a Disney Park sounds expensive.

Second thought –– Innovative, interesting, but not my cup of tea. I've rode Midway Mania once and that was enough for me. This has to be someone's favorite ride to go all-in on purchasing the additional tech. If they dig that type of experience, I suppose we can let them live.

Comment

If the attraction is great without the tech than I don’t think it is any greedier than another other park merch. However, if the attraction is only OK without it, then it will feel like pay-to-play, where the game is “free”, but to really play you have to buy something and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Personally, I’m not to keen on gaming attractions so this personally decreases my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post
        If the attraction is great without the tech than I don’t think it is any greedier than another other park merch. However, if the attraction is only OK without it, then it will feel like pay-to-play, where the game is “free”, but to really play you have to buy something and that leaves a bad taste in the mouth. ...
        I think this is key. Will these upgrades essentially amount to optional, "in-game cosmetic upgrades" or will they give you some kind of "edge" or experience you can't gain otherwise? Because if it's the former, then there isn't really much to complain about because then it's all in good fun and whether or not you want the changes. But if it's the latter, I could see how it would be discouraging to some. Imagine if Bing Bong's gift shop sold a toy blaster that basically guaranteed the person next to you on Toy Story Mania a higher score than everyone else in the car?

I think we simply don't have enough information to know which it will be, yet. But we will very soon. Spider-Man may not even be a scored/competitive attraction. I think the idea is fun (provided the tech has use outside the attraction) but don't want to fully cast judgement until I see how it's totally integrated.
        "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Strong "corporate guy pointing to Harry Potter wands and yelling at Imagineers to design something like that but for Spiderman" energy here.

Something about the capitalization of "Super Heroes" bothers me too, but I can't put my finger on why exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
            Strong "corporate guy pointing to Harry Potter wands and yelling at Imagineers to design something like that but for Spiderman" energy here.

Something about the capitalization of "Super Heroes" bothers me too, but I can't put my finger on why exactly...
            For me, it's the collision of Disney's committee-created "experiences" and the way we feel about (and invest ourselves in) superheroes as individual personalities. Disney's hierarchy of executives, many of whom give notes on every phase of a WDI project, can be counted on to squeeze the soul out of rides that are based on individual superheroes. Even in the rare case that an individual exec gets it, the committee system guarantees the end product won't.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

For me, it's the collision of Disney's committee-created "experiences" and the way we feel about (and invest ourselves in) superheroes as individual personalities. Disney's hierarchy of executives, many of whom give notes on every phase of a WDI project, can be counted on squeeze the soul out of rides based on individual superheroes. Even if an individual exec gets it, the committee system guarantees the end product won't.
              Yeah, I think that's it.

Comment

When I went on the ride in March, it just wasn't my thing. I'm not a gamer and constantly flinging my arms forward to shoot webs got tiring. I actually gave up halfway through. So unless the new merchandise allows you to exert less energy for a lot more firepower, I just wouldn't be interested.

Comment

How times have changed since they thought this up... Pre-COVID, this would have been a real money-maker: all those local APs and YouTubers would have snapped these up like hotcakes and brought them to the park again and again. But now that the AP program is on hold, how many one-day visitors will spring for these gadgets that really have no value when you don't go on the ride every weekend?

Comment

Ehh I think this would deter me more not to try out WEB Slingers.

Comment

Originally posted by igmo View Post
                      How times have changed since they thought this up... Pre-COVID, this would have been a real money-maker: all those local APs and YouTubers would have snapped these up like hotcakes and brought them to the park again and again.But now that the AP program is on hold, how many one-day visitors will spring for these gadgets that really have no value when you don't go on the ride every weekend?
                      The AP program is not on hold; it's gone. When the new "membership" takes it's place, there may not be an opportunity to show up every week (or more).

Comment

Hmm... Merch based on the draw that it will enhance a brand new ride, is the ride not good enough without it?

If it is just a means to offer an enhanced experience who is the target? If this target is young children then it has to be affordable for parents to purchase an item that works on 1 single attraction. Or is this targeted to frequent visitors of which they are still counting on with introducing AP/LP's?

I am very curious to see once we get more info on what they are up to.
                        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                          Hmm... Merch based on the draw that it will enhance a brand new ride, is the ride not good enough without it?

If it is just a means to offer an enhanced experience who is the target? If this target is young children then it has to be affordable for parents to purchase an item that works on 1 single attraction. Or is this targeted to frequent visitors of which they are still counting on with introducing AP/LP's?

I am very curious to see once we get more info on what they are up to.
                          Im curious, as well.

I think Disney is selling these items as stand alone “toys”. As in, they are intended to provide value/entertainment outside of the attraction with some sort of “test target arena” functionality. So the question will become, are these worth-it toys that just happen to feature fun attraction connectivity? Or are these pay to win items that will weakly try and double as toys that are worth it?

Because if it's the first one, no harm, no foul. If DL were selling a nice looking set of Haunted Mansion sunglasses that allowed you to see the ghosts as green instead of blue for fun, then you'd still have a solid pair of sunglasses even if you didn't use them for their secondary purpose and wouldn't have an "advantage" over other Guests. But if those sunglasses allowed you to see scenes that other Guests couldn't and didn't otherwise function that well, then we have an issue.

Comment

So there's DLC for amusement park rides now.

Comment

Got to be a SHOP........after one leave a attraction
                              enhance that experience -of Target and the 99 cent store.....at a higher price.........lol
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	atacmg394794691312a.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	8638174 Click image for larger version

Name:	atacmg394794691312b.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	8638175
                                It would definitely make it much easier to blow up those spider bots using these devices. Flinging your arms is tiring and not very accurate. But how much for each and how many times during the day can you go on? Now that's the something worth knowing. Remember, the days of APs is over. You can't just come back several times a week.

Comment

The days of APs will continue for years on well into the Book of Revelation. It is written in the stars.

Comment

My money is on greedy attraction up-sell.

I can get on board with Harry Potter wands, our daughter was "chosen" and it was a delightful fun experience we all enjoyed.
                                    i can get on board with insanely expensive light sabers that are as well done as they are in experience and it is in product.
                                    I can even get on board with the droids although I think the interactivity of experience and product could be better.

But this... no. Even though we love avengers, this seems like landfill fodder to me.
                                    Isn't the whole point of the attraction that gesture recognition is supposed to be new(ish) and cool? We tried it during Ninjago ride at Legoland. Not fabulous but on the whole it was fun to get moving. However...

Presumably this tech makes you a better shooter, yes? That would be only fair right? You paid enhance your experience so you should have that I suppose...

This is unprecedented though. This is an accessory for individual use IN RIDE. Those big bulky web mittens would be unwelcome flying around my head. I'll tell you that much. It's bad enough when someone brings a small studio to take pictures on rides but this just seems like bad form. Pitting regular gesture recognition fun against those willing to up-sell in the same ride.

I don't like it.
                                    You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                                    It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

I see it Now.....
                                      MOMMY /DADDY I want ......("I WANT -I WANT-I WANT")
                                      That how Disney makes Money.........LOL........

To be fair
                                      "It been like that for many,many ,many years...another reason , I dislike store shopping"!
                                      Last edited by Eagleman; 05-19-2021, 05:59 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Hey, remember "Glow With the Show" hats?

Remember stacks of unsold "Glow With the Show" hats?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X