Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 15th Changes - not what you expected...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 15th Changes - not what you expected...

The state has issued their update confirming that they will relax almost all COVID restrictions June 15th...

But there are some surprises in there that may mean less changes at Disneyland than expected.

For mega outdoor events they will have to verify vaccination status or require masks. For anything indoors 5,000 or more it is a requirement to verify vaccination status AND not admit without it even if the person is wearing a mask. Because of the rides at Disneyland being mostly indoors they will likely have to follow the guidance for the indoors 5,000 or more, as they'll always have more than 5,000 people inside queues. If they can't move the queues inside then they can't increase the capacity.

So much for the restrictions going away... It's really MORE restrictions than before.

Source:

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/...urce=instagram

"Vaccinations or negative COVID-19 tests will be required for people to attend large-scale indoor events with more than 5,000 people.

“We are requiring -- requiring, not recommending -- a vaccine verification/negative test, and there will not be an option to come in if you're neither of those and you can't verify that by just wearing a mask,'' he said."

I read another article that basically said the same thing and Staple Center was now going to have to require either a proof of vaccination or a negative covid test within the past 72 hours and in the article they pointed out that ThemeParks like Disneyland specifically will likely have to follow suit. I am not sure how large event places will deal with it as it's not an easy thing to manage.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

its quit simple...get the vaccine. End of story :-)

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
        its quit simple...get the vaccine. End of story :-)
        I agree DLR could decide having to verify the various approved Covid Tests would make things too complicated and it is in their right to put in any restriction they desire on their private property and may decide a proof of vaccination card that is two weeks or older from last dosage is required.

I would totally fine with that and I think it would make the parks much more enjoyable being able to have a mask free park as well as making it safer for the staff if all guests are vaccinated.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I agree DLR could decide having to verify the various approved Covid Tests would make things too complicated and it is in their right to put in any restriction they desire on their private property and may decide a proof of vaccination card that is two weeks or older from last dosage is required.

I would totally fine with that and I think it would make the parks much more enjoyable being able to have a mask free park as well as making it safer for the staff if all guests are vaccinated.
          Yep at this point the decision has been made for Disney, they have to require vaccinations starting June 15th, end of story. The good news is everything else goes away which will make a much better experience for all.

Comment

Further explanation from the OC Register explaining the requirement of a COVID vaccine or negative COVID test to enter Disneyland starting June 15.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/05/2...ons-and-tests/

Comment

The invisible elephant in the room is that there is no way to confirm that vaccination cards are legit -- businesses likely aren't even going to try. Unfortunately, they are ridiculously easy to forge.

Forbes: Fake Vaccine Cards On The Rise

Fake, stolen vaccination cards have become commonplace in recent weeks – and identifying them can be difficult

Online Scammers Offer Fake COVID-19 Vaccination Cards

Google Searches for "Fake Vaccine Cards" Spike After CDC Changed Recommendations

California bar owner charged with selling fake Covid-19 vaccine cards
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                The only way Disney can manage this is to use services such as CLEAR (being used by Staples Center already) which require advance registration and upload of records. When you upload it and enroll you are consenting to validation in the state database. They get the information that you are indeed vaccinated and generate a "vaccine passport.". There is no other way Disney can handle this problem. They can't have the Cast Members at the gates inspecting vaccine cards, it's a disaster waiting to happen. And what is going to be more of a problem is all of the folks who showed up at the County meeting and demanded no electronic records of vaccines administered by the County of Orange. It's entirely possible that these OC residents might be locked out of Disneyland on June 15 even though it's right in their backyard.

With the language used by Dr. Ghaly of the State - “We are requiring -- requiring, not recommending -- a vaccine verification/negative test, and there will not be an option to come in if you're neither of those" -- the State has just mandated so called Vaccine Passports.

Now that this is established - how will the State want to handle children too young for the vaccine? Will they have to have a COVID test to go to Disneyland?

Comment

It seems the state is trying its best to put Disney, and other theme park operators, out of business.

Comment

As ClownLoach said, what about kids? No accommodation for them? Seems like they have to keep lower capacity, masks and social distancing in place or else make it adults only. Which surely is a bridge too far.

Edit to add I see discussion of maybe negative tests for the kids.
                    Whatever...I guess we will know soon enough and then can decide to take it or leave it.
                    Last edited by Pips; 05-21-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post
                      As ClownLoach said, what about kids? No accommodation for them? Seems like they have to keep lower capacity, masks and social distancing in place or else make it adults only. Which surely is a bridge too far.
                      My guess is that kids 3-11 are only required to have a mask. There is currently no vaccine available for that age bracket yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

My guess is that kids 3-11 are only required to have a mask. There is currently no vaccine available for that age bracket yet.
                        That might not be so bad. Kids seem to tolerate the masks better than adults. That with the vaccinated/tested adults would make it feel pretty safe. Sure will be interesting to see how this is handled though. What a monumental task.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          I find it "SICK" more than a scam.......
                          How people treat other's - with there heath IMO

Yes ,I also read up on the News
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I find it "SICK" more than a scam.......
                            How people treat other's - with there heath IMO

Yes ,I also read up on the News
                            It's depressing, isn't it. Like Mr Wiggins said, it's the elephant in the room -- people cheat and no way to verify. My own card is little more than a handwritten piece of cardboard where I filled in my own name. Not exactly official.

Comment

Why does it even matter anymore who is or isn't vaccinated? Isn't it about time we reinstate personal responsibility? Everyone now has access to whatever tools they want to protect themselves including incredible vaccines which have completely defanged the virus. Why do I care if someone else chooses to take their chances with COVID at this point, how does that affect me? I can protect myself as I see fit. Kids are incredibly low risk for COVID, about the same risk as for the flu. They were never a major concern with COVID so let's let them breath again. Quite frankly, worrying about vaccinating low risk children in rich countries is about immoral as it gets right now when other parts of the world are going through the darkest days of the pandemic and don't have enough vaccines for people who are at serious risk of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post

It's depressing, isn't it. Like Mr Wiggins said, it's the elephant in the room -- people cheat and no way to verify. My own card is little more than a handwritten piece of cardboard where I filled in my own name. Not exactly official.
                                They 100% can be verified but the path to get there is a mess.

​​​​​​All of the vaccinations are recorded at a state level (just like the ones you got probably as a child, measles etc.). Even if you thought it wasn't, and even if they were lazy and handed you the card and told you to fill in your name etc. (You had to give them your information to get the shot so the record is there still). If you lose your vaccine card you can call the Dept. Of Public Health and they'll get you a new one, yes another handwritten card but it will match the one you got when you were given the shot. I read that they're charging $20 to replace in LA County.

However the State of California is not going to make an app that will access the database directly and generate some kind of "passport.". They don't want to be able to be politically criticized for making "vaccine passports" even though their new requirements today basically are impossible for large events to properly execute without them.

So they're leaving the vaccine validation in the hands of 3rd parties. CLEAR was a airline background check company that has expanded into this COVID vaccine verification mess. Their app is going to be very prominent as it's already being required by venues like Staples Center. There are other brands coming online as well such as TravelPass.

You have to register in advance, you upload that vaccine card, but you have to also tell them where you got it from, your personal info etc. You consent to have CLEAR or the other app company receive your information, they retrieve it from the state and/or the medical provider you used for the vaccine. If you forged it or faked it then they will come back and say they couldn't validate it. Then they basically just take the validation and generate a QR code in an app attached to your name and ID info so that companies like Disney, Staples Center, other venues get no personal information other than an authentication that the person in front of them is validated to be vaccinated. They don't explain who vaccinated you, what vaccine, etc. The only company that has your Personal Identifying Information about the vaccine is the company who runs the app you've chosen.

Disney is not going to have their cast members trying to validate the paper cards because of the very rigid Personal Identifying Information laws in CA (please note this has nothing to do with HIPAA, I keep seeing misquotes in social media like "they can't ask for my vaccine info it's a HIPAA violation"). The issue with looking at paper cards like those is that Disney has to guarantee that the Personal Identifying Information such as your birthdate etc. is completely secured; with the chaotic environment of the turnstiles if someone grabbed another person's vaccine card from the Cast Member Disney would be liable for loss of that information. In California loss of PII can become a class action lawsuit almost immediately. They're going to have to go the app route (CLEAR) or others to validate it as they can't risk handling this card that is a medical record. This is a problem everyone else in California at least will also face, even though the State is saying that they can just look at the card or a image of it - because of the PII laws they really can't and CA knows it. The state has basically told Disney and others now you must follow this route that really can only be completed with a vaccine passport service/app.

By the way they know exactly how to do this process at Disney. They've been doing it since they reopened Shanghai as China has a "health QR code" AKA vaccine passport, and they check for it at the gate.
                                Last edited by ClownLoach; 05-21-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
                                  Why does it even matter anymore who is or isn't vaccinated? Isn't it about time we reinstate personal responsibility? Everyone now has access to whatever tools they want to protect themselves including incredible vaccines which have completely defanged the virus. Why do I care if someone else chooses to take their chances with COVID at this point, how does that affect me? I can protect myself as I see fit. Kids are incredibly low risk for COVID, about the same risk as for the flu. They were never a major concern with COVID so let's let them breath again. Quite frankly, worrying about vaccinating low risk children in rich countries is about immoral as it gets right now when other parts of the world are going through the darkest days of the pandemic and don't have enough vaccines for people who are at serious risk of death.
                                  1. USA's Roll-out of the accessibility of the vaccines has ranged from 'decent' to 'flat out bad'(AKA the state of Georgia).

2. Only a whopping 38.5% of the USA is fully vaccinated. To achieve herd immunity over the country, that number needs to be at least doubled to 70-90% of the country.

3. Just because children are considered at 'low-risk', does not mean they have automatic immunity. Not only is it possible for them to become infected or even die from Covid, they can still spread it to 'high-risk' individuals easily (like grandchildren to grandparents).

Comment

ClownLoach thank you for the very informative post about vaccination verification there at post #16. I didn't know the state allowed access to verification firms. Very good information.

As far as posts by others that basically dismiss the idea of COVID in young children...well, that's on you with yours. Our pediatrician and an aunt who is a physician have both cautioned us that the syndrome that children can get is a real thing and to take it seriously. I'll leave it up to "the individual" to sort through statistics on that, but for us, going to school is one thing. Going to an amusement park crammed with people is another. Not exactly an essential activity.

But anyhow, I don't think we are supposed to get into that kind of back and forth here, so I'll just follow along and see what precautions materialize at the parks.

Comment

Will they be able to fully load ride vehicles, or still only load 1 group per?
                                      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Travel to Hawaii currently requires a negative COVID test 72 hours or closer to your departure flight. This is required for all children, as well as adults (even vaccinated adults, I believe).

I would gladly have my kid’s nose swabbed if it meant they could go to Disneyland without a mask!

It seems Disneyland leadership has a choice: do we put in the work at the front end, meaning creating/implementing an entry system that requires proof of vaccination or a negative test, but then not have to worry about any restrictions from then on out.

Or, do we pass on the up front difficult task and continue to create/implement numerous rules and policies on the fly as park problems arise (traffic jams in NOS, hour long delays in mobile dining orders) and continue to change policies as state guidelines change.

The first option puts Disney in the driver’s seat.
                                        The second puts them in the backseat of a 15-passenger van.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X