Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The proliferation of vloggers at the parks, and the misinformation they spread

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The proliferation of vloggers at the parks, and the misinformation they spread

    I am putting this rant in the Disneyland forum because it gets the most traffic, but this is happening at all parks.

    Ever since YouTube allowed viewers to pay vloggers in the livestream chat, the number of people who roam the parks with video cameras spewing nonsense and misinformation is increasing. It's really irritating me. It's irritating me so much that I'm compelled to complain in a post.

    What bothers me most is the amount of traffic these people get. They are not experts. In fact, some of the most popular vloggers didn't grow up going to the parks and don't even know basic history, but their viewers consider them experts. That's such a shame.

    In simplest terms, creating a YouTube account and streaming inside a theme park does not make anyone an expert.

    It's also foolish to listen to baseless rumors and accept them as fact. It's even more foolish for print media to listen to one of these non-experts and publish an article about the baseless rumor.

    I think Disney needs to do something about this. I'm not sure what they can do, but the parks are going to be full of vloggers trying to make money if they don't. It's already increasing at WDW, and it's bound to happen at DL.




  • #2
    Disney is doing something about it. They are promoting those who promote them for free. As long as they don't bite the mouse that feeds them, they will stay in their good graces and receive little crumbs here and there. They are kind of like the little fish who follow around large sharks and feed off of them. Both parties are getting what they want in that relationship.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
      I am putting this rant in the Disneyland forum because it gets the most traffic, but this is happening at all parks.

      Ever since YouTube allowed viewers to pay vloggers in the livestream chat, the number of people who roam the parks with video cameras spewing nonsense and misinformation is increasing. It's really irritating me. It's irritating me so much that I'm compelled to complain in a post.

      What bothers me most is the amount of traffic these people get. They are not experts. In fact, some of the most popular vloggers didn't grow up going to the parks and don't even know basic history, but their viewers consider them experts. That's such a shame.

      In simplest terms, creating a YouTube account and streaming inside a theme park does not make anyone an expert.

      It's also foolish to listen to baseless rumors and accept them as fact. It's even more foolish for print media to listen to one of these non-experts and publish an article about the baseless rumor.

      I think Disney needs to do something about this. I'm not sure what they can do, but the parks are going to be full of vloggers trying to make money if they don't. It's already increasing at WDW, and it's bound to happen at DL.


      It seems like you're referring to Fresh Baked and the SF Gate article that came out?
      sigpic
      "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Reeder View Post

        It seems like you're referring to Fresh Baked and the SF Gate article that came out?
        Wow, I just looked up the article and I can't believe the SF Gate did that.
        Brian the Pooh

        Comment


        • #5
          The easy way for Disney to correct significant reported mistakes, is issue a PR statement. Disney has done it before, even against this website. In an old Al Lutz report (Late 2000s-Early 2010) column, he incorrectly reported that AAs of George Washington and Barrack Obama were going to be added to the revival of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Disney surprisingly refuted the report, immediately after it was published

          Then again, Disney did a complete 180 over the 2008 Small World drama, where they issued a misleading PR letter(written by the late OG Imagineer Marty Sklar) that deliberately lied over the addition of America in It's a Small World.


          Originally posted by Reeder View Post

          It seems like you're referring to Fresh Baked and the SF Gate article that came out?
          I will admit the line from Fresh Baked of how "they couldn't rebuild the Matterhorn, without removing Alice" is a bit of hogwash. The actual ride portion of the matterhorn is only 35-40% of the mountain. And there is plenty of space North, if they had to expand the base.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am genuinely kind of floored that the article in the SFgate was allowed to be published, must less made it past editing. Separating from the main issue of vlogging, it needs to be underlined here how much of a journalistic failure it is for a piece, even an opinion piece in a local paper, to be based SOULLY around the speculation of a blogger, without even the slightest efforts of backing up any of these claims from sitations from an official source.

            The SFgate seems to be no stranger to these kinds of quality concerning pieces however, as it was only a few weeks ago that they appeared to try and "start" a social media controversy surrounding the SnowWhite refurb: siting social media grumblings towards the new scene in the ride; elevating what were originally a scant few bad faith comments scattered about twitter and Facebook, so that there would encourage SOMETHING of a controversy, that the paper seemed poised to return to later, pretending they were not the enablers of such.

            Vloggers seem to be just a part of the current situation. There appears to be such eagerness for any Disney news in the past year that not only will news papers make opinion pieces from "expert Disney World fans from Arizona" simply to generate obvious negative feedback to tone-deaf views; but as Matt as pointed out, they are willing to site the opinions of vloggers simply to have SOMETHING to offer their readers. The result is a mess of misinformation from vloggers, and more enabling as people are drawn to trying to find out something of truth during this dry spell of information on the parks.
            Last edited by SkunkID; 05-22-2021, 10:52 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
              Disney is doing something about it. They are promoting those who promote them for free. As long as they don't bite the mouse that feeds them, they will stay in their good graces and receive little crumbs here and there. They are kind of like the little fish who follow around large sharks and feed off of them. Both parties are getting what they want in that relationship.
              Sadly, this.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

              - Walt Disney

              "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

              "It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                I am putting this rant in the Disneyland forum because it gets the most traffic, but this is happening at all parks.

                Ever since YouTube allowed viewers to pay vloggers in the livestream chat, the number of people who roam the parks with video cameras spewing nonsense and misinformation is increasing. It's really irritating me. It's irritating me so much that I'm compelled to complain in a post.

                What bothers me most is the amount of traffic these people get. They are not experts. In fact, some of the most popular vloggers didn't grow up going to the parks and don't even know basic history, but their viewers consider them experts. That's such a shame.

                In simplest terms, creating a YouTube account and streaming inside a theme park does not make anyone an expert.

                It's also foolish to listen to baseless rumors and accept them as fact. It's even more foolish for print media to listen to one of these non-experts and publish an article about the baseless rumor.

                I think Disney needs to do something about this. I'm not sure what they can do, but the parks are going to be full of vloggers trying to make money if they don't. It's already increasing at WDW, and it's bound to happen at DL.


                Nice rant PhotoMatt, but I am really surprised at your comments. Free speech is the first article of our Bill of Rights. The VLoggers state opinions (just like your stating your opinion) and you can chose to watch them or not. You can chose to "believe" them or not. Do I think VLoggers are experts? NO! No more than I think anyone who has a website or publishes an article in a newspaper is. If Disney were to "do something" would that include all videos (including Dusty's) and websites (like this one)? While I sometimes get a laugh out of what is said by the VLoggers (cause I know they are full of it), I defend their right to say it. My suggestion is don't watch them...

                Just for reference, I "grew up" at Disneyland having lived but a few miles away most of my life. I am old enough to remember eating at the "Chicken of the Sea" restaurant boat, Disneyland before New Orleans Square (No Pirates, No Haunted Mansion), the original Tomorrowland with Cox gas powered airplanes, ticket booths (before the coupon books).

                Comment


                • #9
                  I honestly don’t care what vloggers are doing or what they are saying. It entrainment in my eyes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SkunkID View Post
                    I am genuinely kind of floored that the article in the SFgate was allowed to be published, must less made it past editing. Separating from the main issue of vlogging, it needs to be underlined here how much of a journalistic failure it is for a piece, even an opinion piece in a local paper, to be based SOULLY around the speculation of a blogger, without even the slightest efforts of backing up any of these claims from sitations from an official source.

                    The SFgate seems to be no stranger to these kinds of quality concerning pieces however, as it was only a few weeks ago that they appeared to try and "start" a social media controversy surrounding the SnowWhite refurb: siting social media grumblings towards the new scene in the ride; elevating what were originally a scant few bad faith comments scattered about twitter and Facebook, so that there would encourage SOMETHING of a controversy, that the paper seemed poised to return to later, pretending they were not the enablers of such.

                    Vloggers seem to be just a part of the current situation. There appears to be such eagerness for any Disney news in the past year that not only will news papers make opinion pieces from "expert Disney World fans from Arizona" simply to generate obvious negative feedback to tone-deaf views; but as Matt as pointed out, they are willing to site the opinions of vloggers simply to have SOMETHING to offer their readers. The result is a mess of misinformation from vloggers, and more enabling as people are drawn to trying to find out something of truth during this dry spell of information on the parks.
                    You’re right, it is appalling, and another example of how newspapers and other major media are throwing out basic journalistic standards and practices in a race to the bottom to join bloggers and vloggers and twitterers. They want to co-mingle with these things because they feel threatened by them.

                    I don’t have a problem with vloggers ; I know they are tastemakers, and most of what they say is opinion driven. But newspapers shouldn’t be sourcing their information from them, nor should they from social media.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well, yes, less-than-ideal content creators is a problem generally with YouTube and not at all limited to Disney Parks vloggers. One could write a whole book on the proliferation of bad information on youtube. I wouldn't expect Disney Parks to be immune from this.

                      What's up with the weird gatekeeping though? Sure, I understand that a local rag quoting a random youtuber as an authoritative source is not great. But like, "didn't grow up going to the parks" strikes me as a strange axe to grind.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The article didn't seem that bad to me. Vloggers tend to be treated as authority figures to many in the media. Especially with something like the SFGate. Lord knows TDA would not talk to them. So at least they just didn't make it all up and say unnamed sources told them like so many large media companies do nowadays.
                        Last edited by tarheelalum; 05-23-2021, 05:45 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JLee1226 View Post
                          But like, "didn't grow up going to the parks" strikes me as a strange axe to grind.
                          That's fair. I didn't realize at the time that it could be interpreted this way. One can be a park expert without going there one's entire life.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                            I honestly don’t care what vloggers are doing or what they are saying. It entrainment in my eyes.
                            Doesn't it matter if they give people the wrong information?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Matt, a "branded" Micechat vlog would provide a great opportunity to counter the problems you have identified, and a great opportunity to educate, inform, and entertain about the park. You should consider bringing in some competition! I'd watch!
                              "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Michael1955 View Post

                                Nice rant PhotoMatt, but I am really surprised at your comments. Free speech is the first article of our Bill of Rights. The VLoggers state opinions (just like your stating your opinion) and you can chose to watch them or not. You can chose to "believe" them or not. Do I think VLoggers are experts? NO! No more than I think anyone who has a website or publishes an article in a newspaper is. If Disney were to "do something" would that include all videos (including Dusty's) and websites (like this one)? While I sometimes get a laugh out of what is said by the VLoggers (cause I know they are full of it), I defend their right to say it. My suggestion is don't watch them...

                                Free speech doesn't cover yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. Making a baseless claim about an attraction that invariably leads to questions about its safety should not be allowed. I agree with you, in part. If one doesn't like what a person says then you can ignore them. I get it. This goes beyond that.

                                I have heard a great deal about this already, and I am not the one questioning the ride's safety. Many others are because of this baseless rumor.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                  Matt, a "branded" Micechat vlog would provide a great opportunity to counter the problems you have identified, and a great opportunity to educate, inform, and entertain about the park. You should consider bringing in some competition! I'd watch!
                                  Thank you. This actually exists, but it's not as regular as it should be. Here is the latest episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ONJKoY0Oo

                                  Not only does Dusty Sage appear, but we also have Bill Zanetti. From his Linkedin, "Bill comes from a diverse background in the entertainment industry, with many years spent at key industry players, including Disney and Universal. Bill has managed multiple projects, including advertising campaigns impacting thousands of people around the world. With an MBA under his belt and a PhD on the way, Bill is well prepared for any projects in the industry areas of theme parks, entertainment, marketing, urban design and technology. He currently is teaching courses in Entertainment, Hospitality, Theme Parks, and Event Management at The University of Central Florida."

                                  The latest episode also included Amy, but I am not sure of her background. I know she covers Busch Gardens for us all the time, and she helps out with Social Media.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    You really believe there are no unseen problems in tearing down and rebuilding the Matterhorn. Live and let live.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                                      That's fair. I didn't realize at the time that it could be interpreted this way. One can be an park expert without going there one's entire life.
                                      In was actually curious about that, as, as a former follower of Fresh baked, I do believe David is/has been a local most of his life. But my mistake might have been assuming it was just FB's featuring in the recent SFgate article. The first time reading it without knowing about the recent article, I had assumed you were talking about the WDW opinion piece written by a dude who lived on the west coast and admitted to being an annual visiter, but was sort of treated by bad faith actors as if his opinion was the be-all of EVERY WDW fan.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

                                        You’re right, it is appalling, and another example of how newspapers and other major media are throwing out basic journalistic standards and practices in a race to the bottom to join bloggers and vloggers and twitterers. They want to co-mingle with these things because they feel threatened by them.

                                        I don’t have a problem with vloggers ; I know they are tastemakers, and most of what they say is opinion driven. But newspapers shouldn’t be sourcing their information from them, nor should they from social media.
                                        I think I'm more sick of click bait articles that are just a collection of 5 tweets to prove their point (and ignoring everything else). Or the "Disney enforces their rules at the parks" articles as if people would expect otherwise. As to the vlogging, I do have a problem with the live chat encouraging super chats from within the parks. It is a way for the vlogger to circumvent the fact that if you just record and don't have the live chat, Disney will slap a copyright claim and get the ad revenue from the video. Also, in some ways, I feel like vloggers are the Disney fandom equivalent of OnlyFans lol
                                        Trips coming up:

                                        May 22-26th
                                        July 13th-18th
                                        November 19th-25th

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X