Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrowland

Just went to DL on May 25 after not having been there for about 3 years. Always look forward to Tomorrowland, but it was so sad. Employee uniforms are faded, old and tattered. There is no ambiance. The old PeopleMover track is in a horrible state of disrepair, with odd pieces of equipment and other junk laying (visible) on the track. The monstrosity that sits atop the old PeopleMover loading station is just disgusting to look at. The empty buildings, unused space, windows that haven't been cleaned in years...it is all just sad. What used to be an exciting, fun and vibrant place now looks and feels worse than any Six Flags park. It is just an embarrassment. Hopefully they will do something soon.

Originally posted by arrosen1 View Post
    Just went to DL on May 25 after not having been there for about 3 years. Always look forward to Tomorrowland, but it was so sad. Employee uniforms are faded, old and tattered. There is no ambiance. The old PeopleMover track is in a horrible state of disrepair, with odd pieces of equipment and other junk laying (visible) on the track. The monstrosity that sits atop the old PeopleMover loading station is just disgusting to look at. The empty buildings, unused space, windows that haven't been cleaned in years...it is all just sad. What used to be an exciting, fun and vibrant place now looks and feels worse than any Six Flags park. It is just an embarrassment. Hopefully they will do something soon.
    Yea...I totally agree! I really dont understand Disneys lack of attention to these lands and instead want to build up new lands and ignore the fact that these one beloved area's are now a sad stain of once use to be

Comment

Very sad.

Sadder still, it is testament to how little Disney cares.

Saddest of all is the fact that customers keep coming regardless of how trashy Tomorrowland gets, which proves to Disney that they don't need to fix it.

As long as the cash customers continue to vote Yes with their wallets on lower quality, Disney will continue to oblige them.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Tomorrowland now portrays a dystopian future of urban decay. After 20+ years, is it by design?

Comment

I completely agree. We discussed this topic a little while ago on "Elon Musk: Save Tomorrowland", but I'll say this; I don't think doing some remodeling or adding a big attraction will be enough to revitalize the land. For Tomorrowland to become the great land it should be, it needs to start from the ground up with a new identity, perhaps something akin to classic Epcot's Future World.

Tomorrowland also has an infrastructure problem; the Magic Eye theater is empty, and I don't know what would replace it since 3D movies have kind of waned in popularity. The Innoventions/America Sings building is de facto abandoned, and I'm not even sure if it can revolve anymore like its supposed to.
          Brian the Pooh

Comment

Expansion is expected to generate new revenue to pay for itself over time. Until and unless Disney management can come up with a way for Tomorrowland refurb to do the same it looks bleak.

Comment

Rip all the abended buildings out...(relocate ST), for the love of god put the Rockets back on top of the PM building and put in Tron!! Think this would be a good start

Comment

Magic Eye should return to being an outdoor amphitheater (see Space Stage).

Carousel of Progress could be brought "home" from Florida as a tribute to Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
                  I completely agree. We discussed this topic a little while ago on "Elon Musk: Save Tomorrowland", but I'll say this; I don't think doing some remodeling or adding a big attraction will be enough to revitalize the land. For Tomorrowland to become the great land it should be, it needs to start from the ground up with a new identity, perhaps something akin to classic Epcot's Future World.

Tomorrowland also has an infrastructure problem; the Magic Eye theater is empty, and I don't know what would replace it since 3D movies have kind of waned in popularity. The Innoventions/America Sings building is de facto abandoned, and I'm not even sure if it can revolve anymore like its supposed to.
                  For my money: throw a Space 220 type deal into the America Sings building, throw a Tiki Room type ride revolving around Stitch in the Magic Eye theater space, get the People Mover running again (if only for the ambience and sense of motion, you know?), get the Skybuckets running to SW:GE (same reason), and obviously throw some TLC money to the whole exterior and have it look beautiful again.

And bring back that clock with the times all around the world; that clock owned.

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                  Carousel of Progress could be brought "home" from Florida as a tribute to Walt.
                  Ooooh, I also like this.

Comment

I think there's a way to fix Tomorrowland on a moderate budget, but Disney is honestly too cheap and too lazy to do it.

And as Mr. Wiggins said, as long as people fill the parks, Disney will be in no rush to fix it (among other things). At this point, I wonder if people even recall a Disneyland before it fell into utter disrepair and corporate mumbo jumbo? If they do recall and are just there to drink an expensive cocktail... that's fair.*

*I kid but I'm also guilty of it.
                    Last edited by Captain Andy; 05-26-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                      I think there's a way to fix Tomorrowland on a moderate budget, but Disney is honestly too cheap and too lazy to do it.

And as Mr. Wiggins said, as long as people fill the parks, Disney will in no rush to fix it (among other things). At this point, I wonder if people even recall a Disneyland before it fell into utter disrepair and corporate mumbo jumbo? If they do recall and are just there to drink an expensive cocktail... that's fair.*

*I kid but I'm also guilty of it.
                      Yea thats one hell of an expensive cocktail!!! Not going down the Disney Rabbit hole anymore...enough is enough

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

Yea thats one hell of an expensive cocktail!!! Not going down the Disney Rabbit hole anymore...enough is enough
                        $209 and + $15 for a Final with a Fix. Yep. I think it's time to get a shaker and Tequila for home and just throw in the towel.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

$209 and + $15 for a Final with a Fix. Yep. I think it's time to get a shaker and Tequila for home and just throw in the towel.
                          You forgot to add the $100 sandwich to

Comment

I know a lot of people are going to say add Tron or something akin, but again, adding it won't fix Tomorrowland. Adding a new "E-ticket" might make Disneyland as a whole more exciting, but Tomorrowland has a deeper problem; it has no identity or cohesiveness. Adventureland has a very clear tropical ambiance that encompasses every attraction there. Same with Fantasyland, Frontierland, etc, all have a clear setting/concept they are trying to convey.

Tomorrowland has Star Tours (a good attraction, yet feels more fantasy than "Tomorrowland", and is a bit out of place now with Star Wars: Galaxies Edge), Autopia (resembles go-carting more than anything remotely thematic), and Astro Blasters and Finding Nemo Submarines, which have no-connection whatsoever to the concept "Tomorrowland". Space Mountain is the only attraction that feels like it could work within the higher concept of "Tomorrowland".

But fixing this core problem will not happen under current management, nor the following management, most likely. I try to be optimistic, but I think the writing was on the wall when Buzz and Nemo were added in the mid-2000s.
                            Brian the Pooh

Comment

I agree with the OP.

I was at the park from 12:30pm until 9:45pm last Wednesday and didn't even step foot in Tomorrowland (mainly because it slipped my mind....I reckon that says it all right there!). Although I wish I did because I have yet to experience Autopia with my 5 year old daughter.
                              Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

Comment

It looked like they were beginning to improve Tomorrowland (with hints like that clip of Rohde working on the model, and of course the updated entrance) just before the pandemic hit. Now it's delayed for quite a while, unfortunately.

That being said, there are simple, inexpensive things they could do right now:
                                1. Play EPCOT's "Awesome Planet" in Magic Eye Theater -- it's inspiring, beautiful, and the discussion of green technology fits with Tomorrowland's vision (not to mention that the movie preview signage was Tomorrowland's single biggest aesthetic/thematic blight)
                                2. Install futuristic/alien prop vehicles that run along the PeopleMover track -- done right, this would bring back some pleasant kinetic energy
                                3. Remove Star Wars Launch Bay -- we don't need it anymore, and the signage out front doesn't fit Tomorrowland's theme or aesthetic style
                                4. Can we get rid of the the neon Mickey outside of Star Traders? It looks really tacky, IMHO.

Comment

I remember in the early 80's there was not a more exciting place to be then Tomorrowland in the evening. Rockets in the right spot PM up and running real bands playing in Tomorrowland ( I saw Sparks play there as a kid ) as well as Halyx or a cover band that played new wave hits of the day. As a teenager you felt like you at the center of the coolest party ever. Those days are sadly way gone and many on here are too young to realize what it once was.

They need to make a neofuturistic land. The video that plays on the big screen at Autopia is the style they need to carry across the entire land. If PM can't come back then add something to the tracks to make them relevant, Bring in a Tron or WAll-E ride and put it in the COP building, make Star Tours the new ATIS and keep all SW in SWGE. Buzz, Space Mtn. and Autopia can stay as well as the Monorail. Turn the Nemo Subs into a different ride all together using the lake as a feature. And for the millionth time please put the rockets back to where they belong where it was fun zooming above the land rather than a glorified Dumbo 2.0. And bring back better live entertainment in the Tomorrowland Terrace or theater. Movies and previews are out everyone has a big screen TV now and a hires screen in their pocket, theaters have lost their value especially inside a themepark. If they do not want to put in musical acts put in some fun comedic or science based live action show to get rid of all theaters and replace them with something not retail space.
                                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X