Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Matterhorn and forced perspective

Disneyland's Matterhorn doesn't match the overall shape of the Alpine original overall, but was designed to be seen in forced perspective with the Matterhorn-like features closer to the top. The original 1959 paint scheme reflected this in that the top third was mostly all white snow (higher altitude), which "melted away" in the middle and becomes rocks with waterfalls in the lower third.

The current paint scheme tossed that concept and the snow is distributed almost evenly in layers, making it look like a smaller mound rather than a mighty mountain.

They need to repaint and restore the forced perspective effect with snowy peaks.

(BTW I've been to Zermatt and it doesn't hold a candle to the real thing, but that's another story).

I think it's one of the best pieces of forced perspective Disney has ever done. I still have a hard time believing it's only 147 feet tall. I'm sure it also helps that there are no buildings surrounding it that are remotely as tall. I hope Disney gets around to adding mounds of snow at the top to make it look even more imposing.
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

Yes! I was actually thinking of starting a thread about this topic a little while back. The earlier design seems like it made the forced perspective work much better.

Here's a side-to-side comparison:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3567.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	8638724 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3568.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	204.0 KB ID:	8638725

Obviously, the foreground trees might be relevant (but they also might not be relevant, as they're in the foreground and thus don't technically affect the perspective). And it's good that the "floors" behind the waterfall were filled in.

But the snow patterns, little trees on the mountain, and rockwork color scheme all look a lot better in the earlier image, IMHO.

Maybe the old photo is misleading -- and I wasn't there to see it in person. But if it's not a misleading photograph... what the heck happened, and how can this be fixed (perhaps during the eventual next exterior refresh)?

Comment

Matterhorn
        I do like Today look better than
        than Opening Day.......just look cleaner ,less hole's
        IMO

Walt Disney call Swiss Cheese look ,the way it use to look !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I miss the mountain climbers.
          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by starcade View Post
            i miss the mountain climbers.
            i do too
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I think it’s the trees that damage the forced perspective. To me the mountain size (if you remove the trees closer to us) doesn’t look bad in either image but I might have to see it from other views.

Comment

I miss the Skyway Buckets going through the Matterhorn and Harold 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                  I miss the Skyway Buckets going through the Matterhorn and Harold 1.0.
                  Good times!

From the Vintage Disneyland Tickets blog, a blast from the past:

1978: What's gotten into the Matterhorn at Disneyland?

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post
                    Yes! I was actually thinking of starting a thread about this topic a little while back. The earlier design seems like it made the forced perspective work much better.

Here's a side-to-side comparison:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3567.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	8638724 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3568.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	204.0 KB ID:	8638725

Obviously, the foreground trees might be relevant (but they also might not be relevant, as they're in the foreground and thus don't technically affect the perspective). And it's good that the "floors" behind the waterfall were filled in.

But the snow patterns, little trees on the mountain, and rockwork color scheme all look a lot better in the earlier image, IMHO.

Maybe the old photo is misleading -- and I wasn't there to see it in person. But if it's not a misleading photograph... what the heck happened, and how can this be fixed (perhaps during the eventual next exterior refresh)?
                    I think its a direct result of Global Warming as mountains have a little less snow on them now a days

Comment

I recall
                      that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                      was Disneyland 3rd roller coaster ,after Space Mountain.......
                      that when back to Matterhorn Mountain to fix it up.....
                      But .......The Skyway closed on November 9, 1994,and that when Disney
                      went back to Matterhorn to fill in most of the holes in the mountain !

I also miss the Skyway +====+
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                        I recall
                        that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                        was Disneyland 3rd roller coaster ,after Space Mountain.......
                        that when back to Matterhorn Mountain to fix it up.....
                        But .......The Skyway closed on November 9, 1994,and that when Disney
                        went back to Matterhorn to fill in most of the holes in the mountain !

I also miss the Skyway +====+
                        I miss the roars and howling from Harold 1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

I miss the roars and howling from Harold 1.0.
                          It seems to me the roars and howling wind you could hear from ground level in a fair chunk of Fantasyland have been missing for some time, since well before the animatronic was changed. When did that stop, and why?
                          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

It seems to me the roars and howling wind you could hear from ground level in a fair chunk of Fantasyland have been missing for some time, since well before the animatronic was changed. When did that stop, and why?
                            The roars and howlings changed in 2015 when Disney changed the Yeti. As to your question before the 2015 changes, no one knows why the howlings and roards were missing. My guess that there were breakdowns with the sound equipment Disney didn't bother to change because they were eventually going to change the Yeti sound effects.

Comment

Originally posted by brian11811 View Post
                              I think it’s the trees that damage the forced perspective. To me the mountain size (if you remove the trees closer to us) doesn’t look bad in either image but I might have to see it from other views.
                              I agree, In fact, as I mentioned before in another thread, I think the trees in many areas of the Park have ruined many sightlines and need to be tamed a bit.
                              “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                              WDW Trips: '81
                              EPCOT Trips: '93
                              Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

I agree, In fact, as I mentioned before in another thread, I think the trees in many areas of the Park have ruined many sightlines and need to be tamed a bit.
                                Agree
                                Some trees , over grown also mess the scale up.........such with mountain
                                and ruined many sightlinesimo
                                Last edited by Eagleman; 05-28-2021, 08:01 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X