Attached Files
    Haunted Mansion
    33.33%
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    66.67%
  • Jesser-pie
    MiceChatter
    • Jun 2009

Pirates for the simple fact that it has some thrill so it gives it a slightly more interesting edge.

Comment

• tarheelalum
      Mice chatter
      • Apr 2015

They ruined the Haunted Mansion by making it too bright at the loading area. Totally kills the mood.

Comment

• Brian PieGuy
        MiceChat Moderator

MiceChat Moderator
        • Nov 2020

Ah, the two juggernauts of Disneyland battling for the number one spot again.

While my opinion changes periodically, I tend to think Pirates of the Caribbean is the best ride at Disneyland. There is a sense of immersion to that attraction that few rides come close to: the opening scene feels like a boat ride through a real swamp, the grotto scenes feel like a haunted cave, the village looks like a real seaside village. Now that the Davy Jones mist screen is gone, there is no break in immersion for me. The fact that it is longer than the Haunted Mansion helps too; Pirates is one of the few attractions where I can regularly spend more time on the ride than in the line for the ride.

Haunted Mansion has some advantages over Pirates: the queue/preshow is far more engaging, it has undergone far less meddling/story changes than Pirates, and the annual Haunted Mansion Holiday is either an advantage or disadvantage depending on your perspective (I personally love it). But the Haunted Mansion isn't perfect in my opinion: some of the effects are cheesy (Constance the bride, pop-up skeletons, the loading area) and the ride always felt a tad short for something so epic in scale (the Walt Disney World version scratches that itch with its two extra scenes).
        Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 05-30-2021, 07:18 AM.
        “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
        ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Comment

• Jspider
          • Jan 2005

While I don't think the ship battle sequence can really be outdone my true love is the Mansion so it gets my vote. I love the sense of mystery the corridor of doors the ballroom so many favorite elements of the Mansion I've loved as the years have gone on.
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• md6379a
            MiceChatter
            • May 2015

I concur with Brian PieGuy, DL's PotC feels more transportive than any other attraction. I think the pacing is also an important part of this: tension, rising action, climax, falling action - like a well-crafted story.

Although I think DL's PotC still edges out WDW's HM, it's a much closer call than it is with DL's HM. Even though WDW's additional scenes may seem relatively minor, I think the impact is huge. WDW's HM really allows you to settle into the world of the attraction. It's not just the ride-through portrait hallway, library scene, piano scene, and staircase scene, but it's also the ride-through "Little Leota" scene and - most often overlooked during these comparisons - the foyer being a "true" show scene with the changing portrait. Depending on how you look at it, that's 4-6 additional show scenes. This is why I was hoping they'd make DL's foyer into a "true" show scene with the addition of a visual focus (as exists in the other three mansions). Perhaps the additions near the load area have been an improvement in this general direction, though?

Comment

• Eagleman
              Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Pirates of the Caribbean
              to is more enjoyable, than the Haunted Mansion.......

Haunted Mansion is still on near the top my list with others adventure's !
              Except ------I Do Not Like the Christmas overlay at all---
              IMO
              Last edited by Eagleman; 05-29-2021, 06:06 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Co Foo
                • Jul 2014

At Disneyland it’s Pirates.
                At Disney World it’s Haunted Mansion.

Comment

• Co Foo
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by md6379a View Post
                  I concur with Brian PieGuy, DL's PotC feels more transportive than any other attraction. I think the pacing is also an important part of this: tension, rising action, climax, falling action - like a well-crafted story.

Although I think DL's PotC still edges out WDW's HM, it's a much closer call than it is with DL's HM. Even though WDW's additional scenes may seem relatively minor, I think the impact is huge. WDW's HM really allows you to settle into the world of the attraction. It's not just the ride-through portrait hallway, library scene, piano scene, and staircase scene, but it's also the ride-through "Little Leota" scene and - most often overlooked during these comparisons - the foyer being a "true" show scene with the changing portrait. Depending on how you look at it, that's 4-6 additional show scenes. This is why I was hoping they'd make DL's foyer into a "true" show scene with the addition of a visual focus (as exists in the other three mansions). Perhaps the additions near the load area have been an improvement in this general direction, though?
                  The bigger issue for me is that Disney world’s pirate version misses the entire bayou scene. It’s like reading a book that is missing the first chapter.

Comment

• Eagleman
                    Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

The bigger issue for me is that Disney world’s pirate version misses the entire bayou scene. It’s like reading a book that is missing the first chapter.
                    I AGEE......It like a BIG MISS with out bayou scene.....at WDW/MK
                    Already big take away and very strange !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• bigcatrik
                      MiceChatter
                      • May 2012

I think the greatest scene in any dark ride, bar none, is the Haunted Mansion ballroom and the 2nd greatest is the hitchhiking ghost riding along in your car. It doesn't get any more personal than that.

While I enjoy the drop and skeleton section of PotC, once we get to the town I find the human animatronics odd. It's another point in the Mansion's favor that its only human is the caretaker and he barely moves.

Comment

• md6379a
                        MiceChatter
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Oh I agree, DL's Pirates is worlds ahead of WDW's. The bayou scene, as you say, but also the extended cave sequences that build the suspense. It's amazing how, once again, seemingly "minor" aspects make such as huge difference to the experience.

I was only comparing DL's Pirates with DL's HM and WDW's HMs. I wasn't even bringing up WDW's Pirates

Comment

• bayouguy
                          Bayou Native
                          • Jul 2006

it's always a battle for which attraction I love best...it's not a tie though, but sort of how I'm feeling at the moment...but I lean more towards the Haunted Mansion...
                          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

• Pyratgrrl
                            I'd rather be riding POTC
                            • Sep 2015

Pirates for me! When I was a little girl, I wanted to BE a pirate (the Disney version of a pirate of course). A ghost, not so much!

Comment

• DLHMFAN
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2015

Pirates of the Caribbean was ruined when the pirate ship captain was replaced by Captain Barbossa in 2006. Geoffrey Rush is no Paul Frees as a voice actor.

Comment

• Eagleman
                                Lord of the Sky

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by dlhmfan View Post
                                pirates of the caribbean was ruined when the pirate ship captain was replaced by captain barbossa in 2006. Geoffrey rush is no paul frees as a voice actor.
                                Bingo=got that right .
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• DLHMFAN
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Bingo=got that right .
                                  You know what would be cool? Have a Paul Frees tribute in Haunted Mansion Haunted in which a character uses a line or two from Paul.

Comment

• biggsworth
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Apr 2009

The Haunted Mansion is the perfect attraction at Disney for me. Always in my top 5 and usually number 1 for me. POTC (DLR version) is in the top 5 as well LOL
                                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                    My company had a special night at the park
                                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                    NYE 2011 trip report
                                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                    Leap year 24 hour report
                                    New DCA trip report
                                    NYE 2012
                                    HKDL trip report

Comment

• Mr_IvanStark
                                      One Stormy Night Long Ago
                                      • Jul 2016

Sorry but I'm going to have to say POTC for me. There's something about that ride that I can't explain. Maybe its the scent, the vibes, the location its in. I don't know. The best time for me to go on the ride is around twilight. The lighting, the sounds and the setting does it for me Don't get me wrong, HM is a great ride as well but I feel like I'm more attached to POTC.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X