Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Disneyland rides and things to do with a baby

We are going to Disneyland In June with a 5 1/2 month old. I was wondering if anyone had any tip for this trip or better yet knew what rides a baby can get on. Our baby is not a cryer and doesn't get scared easily so we are hoping there is at least a few rides he can get on.
    Does anyone know what rides a baby CAN get on?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Babies can go on most rides except height required rides and some random ones(Golden Zephyr is a no go). I think boat rides(Pirates, Small World) and dark rides (Snow White, Alice) are good recommendations. Even the simple rides like the Disneyland Railroad works very well with small children.

I also recommend the Rider Swap program (aka Baby Swap) for your visit. It allows all the adults in your party to ride the major thrill rides without having to wait twice

Comment

Basically any ride that does not require a lap/shoulder bar, seat belt basically any sort of restraint should be fine though POTC I think may be a bit shocking with the drop which can make even the calmest baby go into hysterics. ( I will not ride this ride with a baby if I see one loading I wait til the next boat as been stuck with a crying baby is not something I am willing to risk so much so we waited till our girls were 5 before visiting. )

IASW, DLRR, Casey Jones Train, Carousel, Tea Cups, Tiki Room are your basic options.

Like Spongeocto4 mentioned I would take advantage of the Rider Swap.
      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

For all of the people wondering why anyone would take a baby to a Disney park:
        I work in a preschool, and have taken a lot of child development courses over the years. And while it's true that a baby will not be able to remember their Disney trip, it's also true that receiving stimulation and being exposed to a variety of new experiences from infancy has a lifetime impact on their cognitive development. Every new experience creates a new neural pathway, which impacts the brain's ability to adapt and change. So while a baby may not remember their first trip to Disneyland, it doesn't mean they aren't benefitting from it. Does a baby NEED to go to Disneyland to get proper stimulation? No, but it doesn't hurt.
        As for being exposed to viruses? I have to say taking a baby out during a pandemic would make me worry as well. But realistically, a baby is much more likely to catch something at their daycare than at Disneyland.

Selfishly, I wouldn't take a baby to Disneyland because I don't think I would enjoy it as much, but that doesn't mean people who bring babies are "stupid" or selfish for doing so.

Comment

Ahhh yes, shall we bring up the old stroller debates to go along with this thread? I’ll also add that I hate the “inconveniencing others with a screaming child argument” in my lifetime I’ve been “inconvenienced” by an adult acting like an *** far more Times than a child ever has.

if you want to take your your young child to Disney, take your young child to Disney. They may not remember it but they will likely have a blast in the moment and you’ll have tons of happy memories.

As for rides, it depends. We took ours when he was 18 months or so old and therefore he was pretty aware and we were really careful and limited to what experiences we did with him.

He loved a Bugs Land which is of course out now sadly, but he also really enjoyed

The Carousel
          Casey Jr.
          Running around ToonTown
          Winnie the Pooh
          King Triton now Jesse’s Critter Abomination Carousel
          Any meet and greet we could do

We tried Peter Pan just to gauge how he would do with the other dark rides and he wasn’t a fan so we didn’t push it but you could TRY the dark rides in Fantasyland

Spots that he loved

Flo’s Patio watching the cars rip by
          Cars Land in general
          ToonTown if the buildings are open
          Mr Potatohead outside of midway mania

one thing we found was that Storytellers as a buffet was a godsend. When someone got up to get more food they would often take him along for a little walk so everyone had a pretty relaxed meal. Our guy usually sat in a restaurant really well but here he was just so amped up it was harder. If it’s still working as some sort of buffet it may be worth a try. The secluded courtyards around GCH were also amazing for a bit of stretching legs without crowds or if need be more private areas for feeding if that’s your thing.

Not sure how old your one is going to be but I hope some of that can be helpful.

Comment

We’ve done Disneyland with babies a few times. My best advice is to take a soft body baby carrier (Ergo-baby, Baby Bjorn, etc.) in addition to the stroller. After feedings put your little one in the baby carrier for napping.

This will allow you to still actively enjoy the park, instead of being tethered to the stroller. You can even ride a few things while wearing your sleeping baby, such as the Disneyland Railroad, Pirates, and Small World.

Have fun!

Comment

My 3 all had their first trip to DLR at 3 months old or thereabouts. Even at that young of an age, they would be watching all the lights and sounds around them. Around 6 months is when they'd start "dancing" and such inside the Tiki Room and other musical rides. None were scared of any of the rides we took them on, no screaming or crying due to the drop on POTC or lightning in Tiki Room. One of their favorite things to do when not at DLR is watch the Tiki Room on YouTube to dance and sing a long.

I also *gasp* take my children out to meals at restaurants...and *shocker* because they've been exposed to the situation from young ages they sit at the table, eat their meal and aren't generally disturbing anyone but me with their endless jabbering (lol). So while many may not feel taking an infant to DLR is "smart" or "the right thing to do", exposing them to different scenarios is beneficial to their development.

You can take them on any ride that doesn't have some sort of restraint (seat belt, lap bar) or height requirement. A baby carrier is ideal for waiting in line and general waking if they want to be out of the stroller.

​​​​​​

Comment

THANK YOU to those that actually answered the question, I really appreciate it! All this info really helps.

Comment

I found the "any height" filter really helpful when our kid was really little.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/att.../#/any-height/

Have fun! It's so much fun with little ones, their eyes just light up at everything!

You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                  It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Mom kissed Walt View Post
                    I found the "any height" filter really helpful when our kid was really little.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/att.../#/any-height/

Have fun! It's so much fun with little ones, their eyes just light up at everything!
                    WOW this is awesome to know

Comment

Go and have a great time! We first went when my daughter was 2 1/2'ish and guess what? She still remembers part of the trip. Bring a stroller that can lie flat for naps & is easy to navigate. We actually found that the ambient noise in the park helped her to have great naps. We also left the park in the afternoons for the pool where she could relax, decrease the stimuli and take a nap on the chaise lounge or in her stroller and we could relax too.

Rider switch pass will be your friend!

Critter country can also be great with babes & toddlers.

Great places to relax with you little one: the sonoma terrace in California Adventure - your baby chills out? You can get a flight of wine = win/win. Shady areas in Cars Land, shady areas in Frontier Land too.

Comment

Babies love the steam train, just don't sit in the first couple of cars as the steam whistle may scare them. They also like the main street horse carriage, and would probably enjoy the gentle rocking of the boats in Storybook land canal. Other than that, most rides are not appropriate for children under a year to 18 months old. Parents generally have a much better time with children who are at least 3 years old, and can begin to recognize characters, and will remember the experience.

We never took our kids to amusement parks under age 3. Mostly because it is a miserable day for the parent with changing diapers, and feeding times. If you ask me now when is the best time to take children to Disneyland, I would say after you no longer need them in a stroller.

Comment

it was most fun that we had our baby daughter with us...we took her on almost all Fantasyland attractions (we didn't do the Sleeping Beauty Castle, but waited until she could appreciate it more)...although not an attraction, you should quaint yourselves to the Infant Care Centers, where you can change baby's diapers, feed baby, and rest for a bit...yeah, it's a shame that Bug's Land is no longer there...just enjoy your day with your baby...you'll only have one first time with baby at Disneyland...
                          I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Not to spoil the fun here, but for really small children you can save a lot of money by taking them to a local weekend carnival, but tell them it is "Disneyland". At ages 18 months to 3 years old, they won't know the difference. Heck, they still believe in Santa Claus at that age anyway, and will for another 4-5 years, so whatever you tell them they will believe. You just have to SELL it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X