• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennials View of Disneyland’s current state

My earliest memory of Disneyland was when I was Four years old
    (the year 2000
    My grandparents moved from the Bay Area to Orange county
    From the moment they moved there, my grandma was adamant on introducing me to Disneyland

They purchased season passes for themselves and I for many years 2000-2009

my first memory ever of Disneyland was it being a dark cloudy day in June (June Gloom) for Orange County

My grandma had us stand in line for almost two hours under this awning in Tomorrowland, above us were cars that seemingly always stopping and going.
    There were blueprints in the building I was in, posters that contained the blueprints, and television screens that portrayed the automobile industry in America
    As we went up the stairs, and sat on the ride
    that was the first ride I can ever recall “riding.” At Disneyland, I mention this particular memory because of the fact that ride no longer exists

on that same trip in the year 2000, I fondly recall the screens in Space Mountain featuring a celebrity show host which seemed like a gimmick, I can also remember space mountain being the same color of throw up, which wasn’t a pleasant site.

I also remember seeing the Giant bear mountain at DCA under construction with the wooden structure construction overlapping the radius of the mountain.

I remember the large letters “C A L I F O R N I A.”

I mention these early memories because for more than 20 years I have attended Disneyland Resort.

I can say for me, as a loyal Disneylandite
    the year 2005 was one of the greatest years the park ever had. I enjoyed the promotion they offered and the sceneries and sights that occupied the park. Although it wasn’t 2005, I enjoyed the Snow White Musical they offered in the early 2000’s. I miss the live shows that were offered almost of a Broadway quality. Not gimmicky. It brought new entertainment and really was able to capture the magic.
    the entire resort as a matter of fact
    i believe that time frame 2005-2009 in Disneyland were great years, even back then I complained about certain things. But seeing the state of the park as it is today is quite dismal.

in the year 2000, Tomorrowland had just received the refurb from 98’
    and many people back then criticized it

but Tomorrowland hasn’t been able to capture the magic of the future since that time. When they had Rocket Rods, when they had innoventions. Many old timers saw it as a gimmick, but for me back then, it helped capture the future in my young mind.
    (When innoventions first opened, it had a program upstairs where you could see yourself in 50 years with the special CGI camera in the machine, they also had new and upcoming video games and technologies.) For someone my age back then, it seemed futuristic, and it seems as though they haven’t been able to capture the future since then.

California Adventure to me, has lost its message of “California.”
    I realize a lot of early DCA seemed to cheap to most, and for me I can blame the landscaping due to the trees not being as tall as they are. The complaints of it being too cemented, of course it’s going to be that way the first initial years.

for me, DCA in its early years, the true message it sought to preach unto others. Was found as soon as you enter Condor Flats. I understood the gimmicky aspect of the Golden Gate Bridge, and also the train station restaurant. I realized why people didn’t enjoy it, and couldn’t find amusement in it. Full of steel and metal and concrete, no shade all SoCal sun. But as I huddled left into condor flats, and grizzly peak, even the Bay Area section. I felt like it was Disney’s rendition of California, and I truly felt immersed being in that section specifically in the park.
    they did an outstanding job with that section and to me it seems as though they put the most effort into it in the early years. Seeing as how minimal the change in theme the area has experienced.

hollywood backlot back then, felt like I was in Burbank or Hollywood, I liked the fact that they had the animation studio, and the interactive things they offered to people my age back then. I enjoyed Muppet Vision 3D, and back then the Tower of Terror really sealed the deal for it being a Hollywood section of the park. Like you couldn’t have done a better job creating a land, with having tower of terror there. As it was an empty area of the park so long. To this day I believe Disney made a huge mistake changing the IP from Twilight Zone to GOTG (I am a big fan of marvel, but my heart lies with the TOT)

because of the TOT being gone
    i personally believe the message of DCA is gone, and I believe in the near future they should change the theme of the park, and even the name

nothing about the current state of the park exemplifies California to me at all, maybe where the Golden State Winery is, and even Grizzly Peak, but all other areas seem a bit forced even with the new “improvements” and it seems it doesn’t mesh as well.

to be Frank, carsland is based more off of Arizona than California.

i believe the marvel section of the park should just take over Hollywood Backlot, there is not much of a message in that land anymore, and not much they can do to bring it back to the way it was. They should remove Monsters inc (I enjoy the ride as much as any other)
    move it to Tomorrowland!
    but I believe that occupied space of Stage 17 and the monsters ride can be remodeled into a Marvel themed roller coaster. There is a lack of roller coasters at DCA. Maybe an Iron Man or Captain America (OR HELL EVEN X-MEN THEMED COASTER) would suit the land well
    eliminate the Hollywood backlots. There is nothing left for that land
    once you get rid of that section, pretty much the message of California will be null and void. But not like they ever truly gave their best attempts at it in the first place.

how underrated was that ABC soap opera bistro? Incredibly underrated

DCA to me, although it has new and enjoyable rides has entirely lost its message of “California.” And it would better serve the park to entirely be an “Adventure park” but cutting off the Californian ties, to me there really are none anymore.

Disneyland, I believe it’s such a shame and pitiful. Greedy and evil
    the fact that the people mover tracks have laid dormant for nearly 20 years
    shows how really Disney feels about its First park

adding Star Wars to the park (im a big Star Wars fan)
    Takes away the futuristic aspect of Tomorrowland
    making it null and void

they need to shut the entire land down sans space mountain
    close it down for five years
    tear out innoventions, autopia, and the old motorboat cruise area
    Put in Tron
    make it futuristic

or change the theme of the land

Many thoughts and ideas
    will come back with more

don’t agree with Virtual Queueing

“BUT BUT THERES COVID AND SOCIAL DISTANCING)

call me old school but when a new ride opens, I’m willing to wait six hours to ride it

get me a fastpass to wait in line
    i believe the way Disney executes virtual queueing is BS
    i believe social distancing is BS

new idea

since Tomorrowland really can’t fit its image really anywhere
    i know DLRP has “Discoveryland.”

Tony Baxter had an idea many years ago entitled “Discovery Bay.”

don’t turn the motorboat area into an IP land
    Turn Tomorrowland into Discovery Bay

Last edited by DaHatTrick; 06-05-2021, 04:53 PM.

As a GenX'er I feel your pain but understand those of us that remember 80's Tomorrowland are even far more heartbroken and frustrated on what has happened to what was once a favorite land for many of us.
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
      As a GenX'er I feel your pain but understand those of us that remember 80's Tomorrowland are even far more heartbroken and frustrated on what has happened to what was once a favorite land for many of us.
      Agree...........For me it 1967 Tomorrowland ........
      Now...that Land went to Waste Side.....no longer enjoyable="SAD"
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

So you were 4 in 2000? I guess you'd be about the youngest you could be and still be a Millennial? I guess it's weird to think about how Generations work and realizing I sit on the older side of the Millennial scale. I suppose I'm impressed you'd remember things like Rocket Rods or the Soap Opera Bistro alot of that was only open the one year.

It actually kinda strikes me as strange you'd remember a pre ToT DCA at all, like I was technically taken to Disneyland pre Star Tours but I don't remember it because I was two. I do kinda remember meeting the Ninja Turtles at MGM Studios when I was 6 though.

The virtual queuing for new rides likely exists to avoid credits or demanded refunds. If you ever work a customer service gig imagine the person that goes to City Hall demanding a ticket refund because they waited in line for 8 hours with no restroom break and didn't get on the ride. They'll complain that they were ripped off and were not allowed to enjoy anything else do to being stuck in queue.

With a virtual queue the customer service agent can simply tell you that you were never promised a ride and had full access to the rest of the park all day and are therefore owed nothing.

With that system you'd probably have to escalate yourself several times to get much more than a fastpass and a churro because they're very unlikely to issue a refund.
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
          It actually kinda strikes me as strange you'd remember a pre ToT DCA at all...
          I was born in '97 and also remember a pre-ToT DCA as well as it's opening. Having memories from ages ~6-8 isn't strange at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Redhead View Post

I was born in '97 and also remember a pre-ToT DCA as well as it's opening. Having memories from ages ~6-8 isn't strange at all.
            I just stated a few sentences later that I remember Turtles which was when I was six. I have memories of Chicago from when I was 4 it's just interesting for me because I didn't start really doing comparison memories until I was around 8 like once I was 8 I'd miss things from when I was 6 and when I was 12 I had nostalgia for 8. Remembering things in terms of voids at that age just seems odd to me. I mean I didn't comment on the Rocket Rods because even being older I remember the excitement of TL98 though I presume DaHatTrick was closer to one of the final riders of the old Rocket Rods than being one of the first. The line was misserable but the land was so shiny I HAD to ride them.

My first memories for Disney were WDW and my 3 year old mind confused Peoplemover with Horizons and the only reason I know at all what happened was online research (outdoor track memories were Peoplemover, Buttons for screens was Horizons)

Hyperion just had a small dead end street and I never thought of it as an absence being born in 84 and going through the early years I was part of other messageboards pre micechat (ToT opening in 2004 and I joined Micechat ASAP once MiceAge announced it) and we were all complaining about how poorly integrated our ToT was which just shows time differences.

I didn't mean to appear dismissive as much as in some ways I'm perplexed at the passage of time and what exactly qualifies as "millennial" I think time periods for theme parks can break down differently than Generational breakdowns though. The only thing I'll be elitist about is my suppositions on Customer Service because I've worked those complaint department jobs and I'm bitter but can absolutely smell when you need a script to hand to everyone there to get those credits and adjustment columns lower lol

Comment

. The line was misserable but the land was so shiny I HAD to ride them.

that’s the shiniest the land has been ever since. It felt like it had a theme back then in 98’ remodel like they attempted to put some sort of effort into the land. Had rocket rods not failed tremendously we would still be able to enjoy aspects of the land. Personally, I thought rocket rods was a roller coaster, just a lame one that consistently brakes at every turn. I liked the fast pace idea to transport between locations. Just failed execution on Disney’s part.
              I’m one of the few who enjoyed rocket rods

Comment

I’m impressed you'd remember things like Rocket Rods or the Soap Opera Bistro alot of that was only open the one year.

It actually kinda strikes me as strange you'd remember a pre ToT DCA at all, like I was technically taken to Disneyland pre Star Tours but I don't remember it because I was two. I do kinda remember meeting the Ninja Turtles at MGM Studios when I was 6 though.

The first time I stepped foot inside of DCA, since I was so little I really only was able to ride
                soarin
                grizzly rapids
                the sun wheel
                and The Orange stinger

I went inside the bistro, because my grandma was a big AMC fan and wanted to see the portrait of the guy from the show in one of the rooms, yet I never sat down and ate there due to me not having an actual clue what AMC was back then.

my first time at the park there was no bugs land, the park was a massive heap of concrete.

Comment

I remember Ca Adventure when it was a parking lot.
                  "These are a few of my favorite things"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Twain View Post
                    I remember Ca Adventure when it was a parking lot.
                    and the (blue & white) ,TRAM service was at it BEST !...........LOL
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DaHatTrick View Post

The first time I stepped foot inside of DCA, since I was so little I really only was able to ride
                      soarin
                      grizzly rapids
                      the sun wheel
                      and The Orange stinger

I went inside the bistro, because my grandma was a big AMC fan and wanted to see the portrait of the guy from the show in one of the rooms, yet I never sat down and ate there due to me not having an actual clue what AMC was back then.

my first time at the park there was no bugs land, the park was a massive heap of concrete.
                      lol that sounds about right. I remember looking at the park map online as the park debued and counting the small number of things I'd be interested in.

The Bistro is the oddity I never experienced but going through it due to a grandmother or parent sounds about right. I remember my mom watching soaps growing up and all.

The park had so many different resturants back then it's funny how much they had to cut back before the park could grow into something.

I remember the lack of attractions and there was just a ton of discussion about it back in the day. I joined the fandom when everyone was talking about how Bugsland was a desperate dodge to up ride count and add some theme without spending much and that Tower was added too quickly and didn't make sense in a backlot. I remember people complaining about how underdone Sunset Blvd was and then they added the windows to the side of the Animation building which happened months later and spurred discussions about how our Sunset Blvd was nothing compared to Florida's.

It's funny how different perspectives can be, but I suppose 12 year age gap is also not THAT much.

Comment

My earliest park memory was about 4 years old maybe riding the Mine Train through Natures Wonderland I was tiny and I remember barely being to see over the sides. I remember clearly though riding Big Thunder Mountain the year it opened. I was a lil kid and I remember my uncle road with me and he pulled the bar back and in clicked into his lap but since I was a kid it didn't come back all the way to my lap and I remember holding on to that bar for dear life lol! I think every generation has nostalgia and memories of various Yesterland attractions and one day many of the attractions they have today will also be gone if not the entire park. My Mo-In-Law's boyfriend for example worked skyway back in like 1956 he has some interesting stories of the parks back then. His father worked on opening day as a semi retirey. I am sure there are those that miss the Chicken of the Sea and the Nautilus, I know I have met people that miss the jet boats and Autopia before it had the guide rails etc. My kids may one day talk about how they miss BugsLand or even Autopia if it goes away etc.

I wonder though if we were to keep score with each removal and replacement of each attraction how many would be seen as a fail ( Rocket Rods? ) versus success ( BTMRR? )

Comment

I wonder though if we were to keep score with each removal and replacement of each attraction how many would be seen as a fail ( Rocket Rods? ) versus success ( BTMRR? )

That would be an interesting exercise, although we would have to clearly define "success" and "failure" and for that matter "replacement." Does the new attraction have to be more popular than its predecessor to be "successful," or does it just have to last? How long does it have to last? How do you measure popularity--average queue length, guest reviews, etc.? Do things like the Country Bear Vacation Hoedown and Star Tours: The Adventures Continue constitute replacements of the former versions, or just variations on the same attraction?
                          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

I know I have met people that miss the jet boats and Autopia before it had the guide rails etc. My kids may one day talk about how they miss BugsLand or even Autopia if it goes away etc.

I’m gonna miss Autopia someday, I remember being five and driving my first autopia car alongside my grandma, I felt incredibly accomplished with myself lol
                            as far as a bugs land, that was where you went when you needed shade from the rest of DCA on a hot summers day as there was no shade back then. The restrooms in a bugs land was where you went when it was crowded at DLR. other than that I never really was fully immersed in that area.

could they have kept a bugs land
                            and destroyed Hollywood land?

I would argue with the addition of avengers
                            it eliminates another area for families with small ones can gather.

I think the avengers campus is poorly executed and built on the cheap.

disappointed (although haven’t ridden it) already with the execution of the spider man ride.

just seems to me in the 20 years I been going to Disneyland
                            a lot of it has been hit and miss
                            (98-2004) Tomorrowland not everyone enjoyed. Although it is my favorite iteration. Due to the architecture and Jules Verne artistic themes.

periods of great growth (2005-2012)
                            California Adventure really showed itself and the capability of it being a “Californian park.” When world of color and carsland opened. Had they of kept the theming the same was it was when new DCA opened. Combined with maintaining TOT, it was starting to grow on me. DCA

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

That would be an interesting exercise, although we would have to clearly define "success" and "failure" and for that matter "replacement." Does the new attraction have to be more popular than its predecessor to be "successful," or does it just have to last? How long does it have to last? How do you measure popularity--average queue length, guest reviews, etc.? Do things like the Country Bear Vacation Hoedown and Star Tours: The Adventures Continue constitute replacements of the former versions, or just variations on the same attraction?
                              All good questions to a possible future thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

I remember thinking HISTA was the coolest thing ever when it opened only for Captain EO to seem to have more legs before I finally acknowledged that 3D movies are just not the deal anymore at all. There is so much cringe I see in HISTA now vs how mind blowing I found it as a kid when it was in the early years.

Comment

I’m gonna miss Autopia someday, I remember being five and driving my first autopia car alongside my grandma, I felt incredibly accomplished with myself lol
                                  as far as a bugs land, that was where you went when you needed shade from the rest of DCA on a hot summers day as there was no shade back then. The restrooms in a bugs land was where you went when it was crowded at DLR. other than that I never really was fully immersed in that area.

could they have kept a bugs land
                                  and destroyed Hollywood land?

I would argue with the addition of avengers
                                  it eliminates another area for families with small ones can gather.

I think the avengers campus is poorly executed and built on the cheap.

disappointed (although haven’t ridden it) already with the execution of the spider man ride.

just seems to me in the 20 years I been going to Disneyland
                                  a lot of it has been hit and miss
                                  (98-2004) Tomorrowland not everyone enjoyed. Although it is my favorite iteration. Due to the architecture and Jules Verne artistic themes.

periods of great growth (2005-2012)
                                  California Adventure really showed itself and the capability of it being a “Californian park.” When world of color and carsland opened. Had they of kept the theming the same was it was when new DCA opened. Combined with maintaining TOT, it was starting to grow on me. DCA

See this is where the age difference will show up despite both being Millenials the over 10 years changes so many deals.

I will give you Bugsland's shade though. Even as a teen/early adult I liked the Puddle Park purely because if I was overheating I could just go into the shade and stroll through one of the fountain deals and be immediatly cool in a nicely themed area.

My difference is that I never saw Bugsland as bringing families together. I was older when it debuted and it never had anything that interested me. The rides are mostly copies of rides that I'd had better versions of at my local fair even when I was younger (most of my life I've been one that had to travel from Washington to visit Disneyland and would only go every couple years).

I always saw Bugsland as built on the cheap especially compared to Mermaid Lagoon in TDS which was a big point of comparison at the time. Both Tower and Bugs felt like such a knee jerk that my emotions of seeing them stitched together is actually pretty neutral now that the process has been done. I kinda feel the cohesion has increased just because I always saw Tower and Bugs as stapled onto the Hollywood and the Farm respectively.

My biggest fears for the land are how its reliance on entertainment make it uniquely vulnerable to rapid degredation over time. Everything about it that seems to work can easily be boiled away rather rapidly and easily reducing the land to a unique hallway I walk through which I suppose is what Bugs mostly already was for me. However I can respect that the carny nature of the rides meant that Bugs could be left to idle with the rides functions not being cut off so easily.

I also remember the consensus being that the only "Californian" deal was the new entrance back in 2012 but overall I would say that 2012 was the zenith of the original DCA for me and now it seems it'll just be an "Adventure" park that is in California.

Comment

now it seems it'll just be an "Adventure" park that is in California.
                                    IMO
                                    Disney California Adventure has become a "Disney Brand Billboard" in California
                                    Experience at the parks, is not what it use to be........
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                      IMO
                                      Disney California Adventure has become a "Disney Brand Billboard" in California
                                      Experience at the parks, is not what it use to be........

DCA from 2004-2007
                                      although people have their complaints
                                      was prime for me
                                      TOT, Sun Wheel, California Screamin’ , Soarin and GRR

2012-2016
                                      those are the prime years for me

everything else was BS

Comment

DCA from 2004-2007
                                        although people have their complaints
                                        was prime for me
                                        TOT, Sun Wheel, California Screamin’ , Soarin and GRR

2012-2016
                                        those are the prime years for me

everything else was BS
                                        I personally find that I often look at old California Adventure (and theme parks in general) through rose colored glasses. I too look back fondly on old aspects like the Sun Wheel, California Screamin', Golden Dreams, et cetera. But I also remember I made fun of California Adventure a lot back in the day. I think I'm just disappointed DCA abandoned course so quickly; it was on such a roll between the Paradise Pier overall (2009-11), Buena Vista Street and Cars Land (2012), and Grizzly Peak Airfield (2015), which had long been an armchair Imagineer idea I had and it actually came true! I was hoping for a Hollywood Pictures Backlot overhaul, but I guess I got too greedy with my wishes.

The only old DCA attraction I really genuinely miss is the Aladdin Musical. That was great.
                                        Brian the Pooh

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X