Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palm Springs Desert Sun: "Disney Imagineer who had lead role in Avengers Campus"

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Palm Springs Desert Sun: "Disney Imagineer who had lead role in Avengers Campus"


    Palm Springs newspaper article on Coachella Valley native Brent Strong, executive creative director of Avengers Campus:

    Valley native now a Disney Imagineer who had lead role in developing new Avengers Campus


    An excerpt:


    “I am so excited to finally be at a place where we can share Avengers Campus with the world,” Strong said during a recent interview with The Desert Sun.

    He described the new land as experiential, much like Star Wars: Galaxy Edge which opened on 2019 in Disneyland, where guests will get to do more than just interact with their superheroes.

    “Avengers Campus is a place guests get to come in and not just see their favorite heroes, but actually become a hero right alongside iconic heroes, like Spider-Man, Ironman, Black Widow, Dr. Strange – all your favorites,” Strong said.

    Guests will be able to “see characters in action. There are so many iconic heroes in this universe and here you actually get to see them do things you previously were only able to see them do on the big screen,” Strong said.

    Spider-Man is testing out his new suit, doing jumps and kicks and flips up on the roofline of the building and every now and then “he will leap 85 feet up into the air and do multiple flips – something you’ve never seen a person do before,” Strong said.

    “Task Master,” the villain from the upcoming Disney/Marvel “Black Widow” film, shows up now and then to cause mischief on campus and Black Widow and Black Panther are there to stop him, Strong said.

    “It becomes this amazing action-packed set right in front of our guests,” Strong said.

    “Even Dr. Strange is practicing the mystic arts and doing some magic right in front of guests. So, really getting to see these heroes do their iconic action right in front of your eyes is phenomenal,” he said.




    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

    - Walt Disney

    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

    "It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

  • #2
    I have so many questions.

    1) Why haven't I heard of this Imagineer? I read that he helped with the interactivity of Galaxy's Edge, but there's very little of that in the land as of late?
    2) Is it reasonable to make a game designer the creative head of Avengers Campus?
    3) What does "experimental" mean to him? Because it comes off as incredibly safe. If this is "experimental" for Imagineering, I'm worried.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
      I have so many questions.

      1) Why haven't I heard of this Imagineer? I read that he helped with the interactivity of Galaxy's Edge, but there's very little of that in the land as of late?
      2) Is it reasonable to make a game designer the creative head of Avengers Campus?
      3) What does "experimental" mean to him? Because it comes off as incredibly safe. If this is "experimental" for Imagineering, I'm worried.
      To which I can only add:

      4) Why does so much of what he said in the interview sound like the kind of PR-speak you hear at D23?

      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

      - Walt Disney

      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

      "It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

      Comment


      • #4
        I’ve never cared less about a new “land” opening than I do with this one. I’m a Gen-X’er that has ZERO interest in Marvel.
        Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

        Comment


        • #5
          ^ I do have quite an interest in the Marvel movies, but I also have no interest in Avengers Campus. Despite the narrative pushed by corporate Disney, a great movie/tv franchise does not automatically equate to a good theme park experience. They are two different mediums, and the theme park experience must be able to stand on its own.
          Brian the Pooh

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
            ^ I do have quite an interest in the Marvel movies, but I also have no interest in Avengers Campus. Despite the narrative pushed by corporate Disney, a great movie/tv franchise does not automatically equate to a good theme park experience. They are two different mediums, and the theme park experience must be able to stand on its own.
            I Agree
            Disney Parks has become of a "Advertisement Brand Billboard" !
            Experience at the parks is not what it use to be.........IMO
            I feel it "SAD"
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

            Comment


            • #7
              Three grammatical errors bug me. Yes, I'm being petty.

              1. Its' "Taskmaster', not "Task Master".
              2. Its' 'Iron Man, not "Ironman"(the latter is the actual name of a unrelated company!)
              3. This line about Black Widow should be written "....the upcoming Disney/Marvel film, 'Black Widow'...", instead of "...the upcoming Disney/Marvel “Black Widow” film...". Way too much corporate speak.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                2. Its' 'Iron Man, not "Ironman"(the latter is the actual name of a unrelated company!)
                Never heard of this before. I learned all about triathlons googling this.

                Brian the Pooh

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post

                  Never heard of this before. I learned all about triathlons googling this.
                  I have heard of the term before. I had noticed the error and checked to see if triathlon brand was spelled similar.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                    Spider-Man is testing out his new suit, doing jumps and kicks and flips up on the roofline of the building and every now and then “he will leap 85 feet up into the air and do multiple flips – something you’ve never seen a person do before,” Strong said.

                    or ever, since it is an animatronic and not a person. lol!

                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                      I have so many questions.

                      1) Why haven't I heard of this Imagineer? I read that he helped with the interactivity of Galaxy's Edge, but there's very little of that in the land as of late?
                      2) Is it reasonable to make a game designer the creative head of Avengers Campus?
                      3) What does "experimental" mean to him? Because it comes off as incredibly safe. If this is "experimental" for Imagineering, I'm worried.
                      Actually if they're pushing the interactive elements maybe a game designer would be a good choice. I just wish they'd take some of their game ideas to a higher level. Everything still feels very arcade and very weakly implemented.

                      I get the fear of games being too difficult but I also look at all the novelty of exploration in Universals Nintendo area. I guess Disney would like to avoid the Toontown maintenance of a thousand buttons/effects or whatever.


                      I do get that these ideas and whatnot arn't always the most appealing to everyone but I do see them pitching things I think could be successful in the medium for alot of people even if it isn't the traditional audience. Then I also see this kind of weak implimentation. I'm sure Spiderman has greater screen fidelity than a home console but at least in video it doesn't look like the animation is quite on par with a AAA title and there's just minor quibbles I have all over.

                      I'm glad at least so far we have the actors around the land though.
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wonder if any of these Imagineers have tried to implement the projection mapping in any of these shooter rides? I know they are using it well for Mickey & Minnies Runaway Railroad but taking that and making it interactive would be a better usage of gamification then the simple single screen. They could also use projection on transparent screens to give the shooters some depth but I fear that these concepts have been brought up but shot down because a single projection screen is a fraction of the price. It is a shame because then they would have something better than what most consumers have at home.
                        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                          I wonder if any of these Imagineers have tried to implement the projection mapping in any of these shooter rides? I know they are using it well for Mickey & Minnies Runaway Railroad but taking that and making it interactive would be a better usage of gamification then the simple single screen. They could also use projection on transparent screens to give the shooters some depth but I fear that these concepts have been brought up but shot down because a single projection screen is a fraction of the price. It is a shame because then they would have something better than what most consumers have at home.
                          it'd be an interesting approach. A next gen Buzz Lightyear style ride could work, even if they didn't do the layered 3D effect I'd love to see a mix of solid dimensional screens/props with the environment reacting to shots along with simple effects.

                          Isn't Men in Black Alien Attack the most next gen of the shooter rides? It's kinda amazing that Disney has settled for mostly being only slightly better/roughly in line with competitors shooters. I guess because the genre seems to auto succeed there isn't a push to really get it beyond where we've been at for a decade now.
                          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Arcade-projection attractions , is getting mighty old IMO
                            We know Disney can do lot better.......But the Leadership
                            ratter stay on the Cheap side to make money!

                            Do have to ask ,were old implemented Imagineering??
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jspider View Post

                              it'd be an interesting approach. A next gen Buzz Lightyear style ride could work, even if they didn't do the layered 3D effect I'd love to see a mix of solid dimensional screens/props with the environment reacting to shots along with simple effects.

                              Isn't Men in Black Alien Attack the most next gen of the shooter rides? It's kinda amazing that Disney has settled for mostly being only slightly better/roughly in line with competitors shooters. I guess because the genre seems to auto succeed there isn't a push to really get it beyond where we've been at for a decade now.
                              Hehe outside of Rise I’d argue Disney has recently settled on being sub par or roughly in line with their competitors on every new attraction they produce.......

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                ^ And Rise is a survivor from the pre-Chapek days. It's one of the few things he didn't slash from the budget that had been greenlit by Staggs.

                                Sadly, the company that was once the world-class leader in theme park experiences has devolved to being a follower. Even sadder, they think their standards haven't slipped -- as every word of that interview reveals.

                                When your top creative people start talking like PR marketeers, the soul of the company is in trouble.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

                                - Walt Disney

                                "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

                                "It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Jspider View Post

                                  it'd be an interesting approach. A next gen Buzz Lightyear style ride could work, even if they didn't do the layered 3D effect I'd love to see a mix of solid dimensional screens/props with the environment reacting to shots along with simple effects.

                                  Isn't Men in Black Alien Attack the most next gen of the shooter rides? It's kinda amazing that Disney has settled for mostly being only slightly better/roughly in line with competitors shooters. I guess because the genre seems to auto succeed there isn't a push to really get it beyond where we've been at for a decade now.
                                  I think MIB is easily the best of the shooter rides I've been on, mainly because of its larger scope and how much of it is practical, but it's definitely not "next gen." It's been open since 2000 and uses pretty standard dark ride tech. Mario Kart is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for. It uses AR and projection mapping along with practical sets.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                                    I have so many questions.

                                    1) Why haven't I heard of this Imagineer? I read that he helped with the interactivity of Galaxy's Edge, but there's very little of that in the land as of late?
                                    2) Is it reasonable to make a game designer the creative head of Avengers Campus?
                                    3) What does "experimental" mean to him? Because it comes off as incredibly safe. If this is "experimental" for Imagineering, I'm worried.
                                    I strongly suspect Imagineering didn't want anything to do with this project from the onset, to be honest.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by JtnOrl View Post

                                      I think MIB is easily the best of the shooter rides I've been on, mainly because of its larger scope and how much of it is practical, but it's definitely not "next gen." It's been open since 2000 and uses pretty standard dark ride tech. Mario Kart is probably more along the lines of what you're looking for. It uses AR and projection mapping along with practical sets.
                                      It depends on how you want to define next gen. Honestly Spiderman may be "Next Gen" if we're talking tracking technology or what not.

                                      I left Mario Kart out not because I didn't know of it but because I knew there's a decent subsection on the forums that is tired of projections. Personally I'm curious how the effect pans out in person and am curious how such devices will be maintained and cleaned in the long run.


                                      Mainly what I mean is that Universal has looked to take the medium to the next level 'E' ticket status. MIB uses the old school Buzz level tech but rather than settling on adequate plywood they did animatronics and did an all out presentation.

                                      Space constraints were probably a major issue but with better art direction and more engaging spacers Spiderman could've been its own Mario Kart response in the relm of interesting interactivity but it mostly looks to just be more Midway Mania with a different novelty edge to it.

                                      It always feels like Disney is only 'just' better than comparable rides from competitors. Buzz is better than most other plywood setups due to superior art assets and execution but it isn't leaps ahead with amazing new trickery. The Screen based stuff is even fuzzier, it's certainly better than alot of the other screen based target rides but almost the entire genre is stuck with this art level of somewhat worse than what you have at home. These rides always have larger screens and the 3D for sure but when it comes to decisions like animation or level diversity I don't completely understand if its a talent issue, a reliability issue or a time constraint (you see better animation with AAA games than on these rides and I wish they felt more like I was stepping into the movie).


                                      I'd guess maybe Universal needs to push their interactive rides more but it's certainly a genre that they own. I can at least say with the Falcon Disney is ahead there as I'm unaware of a piloting genre being around in other parks just yet.
                                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                        ^ And Rise is a survivor from the pre-Chapek days. It's one of the few things he didn't slash from the budget that had been greenlit by Staggs.
                                        That is debatable. There was the alleged rumor, that a cheaper company was chosen to build the trackless portion of the ride, instead of the company that built Luigi's 2.0(the dancing car version).

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X