Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Passholder Survey Sent Out

Did anyone else get the Annual Passholder Survey that recently came out? We got one today and will be completing it tonight. Supposedly they want to know how fans felt about the sudden removal of passes. I find the timing so strange coming off the heels of the grand opening weekend of a new (mediocre) land. Maybe they have reached a point where they aren’t getting the money they thought they would. It will be really interesting to see how people respond.

Yea got one about 2 weeks ago after our most recent visit to the parks and staying at DCG. I replied back and said "go %#$&% yourself" :-)
    Last edited by YeaDZNY; 06-08-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

I do not do Survey's..............
      I do not waste my time ,helping the company....
      It sure "NOT for THE Consumer"...imo
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I haven't gotten a survey myself, but oh how I would love to make my feelings known. It's clear that the reaction to Avengers Campus, when taking Webslingers into consideration, is tepid at best. To have bitten the hand that feeds the SoCal parks without first seeing the response to the new land wasn't just shortsighted, but a bad business decision. Think about it: Galaxy's Edge opened up with better theming, a better screen-based ride, better IP (arguably, lol), and APs who could visit and fill the land up as much as they wanted. Yet Iger himself said attendance was below what they had hoped it would be. Avengers Campus is definitely in a worse situation, and the park is currently only limited to 30% capacity.

I might be making a different point had Avengers Campus actually had some heft behind it, but I've been saying this for years. From the announcement of GotG to the destruction of a bug's land, to the release of the Webslingers blueprints in Paris, the land is coming up short. When that happened in the past, Disney has always been able to draw upon promotions from APs to fill out the ranks. Even if revenues are slightly down, attendance could still be high if the promotions to draw in APs are good enough. Now, that is gone. When the parks open up to larger capacity and the land still isn't bringing in high attendance or merchandise revenues from a ride upcharge, Chapek will have to answer to the shareholders he thought he could exclusively cater to for so long.

But clearly Chapek and his Michigan State MBA think they know better than the people who have been studying the way people respond to Disney for decades. They can try to entice me with 20% off popcorn buckets, but I'm not paying $200 a day for that when I only get to go on their mediocre new ride once. I'm definitely not repeat visiting. Come to think of it, how many former APs have visited more than 2 times, and not for reporting/blogging purposes? My guess is painfully few, and Disney is finally catching on.

I said the new AP program would debut by Labor Day. Let me up my timeline: new AP program announced by July 17th.

Comment

[QUOTE=WaltDisney'sAlec;n8639610]I haven't gotten a survey myself, but oh how I would love to make my feelings known. It's clear that the reaction to Avengers Campus, when taking Webslingers into consideration, is tepid at best. To have bitten the hand that feeds the SoCal parks without first seeing the response to the new land wasn't just shortsighted, but a bad business decision. Think about it: Galaxy's Edge opened up with better theming, a better screen-based ride, better IP (arguably, lol), and APs who could visit and fill the land up as much as they wanted. Yet Iger himself said attendance was below what they had hoped it would be. Avengers Campus is definitely in a worse situation, and the park is currently only limited to 30% capacity.

We saw lots of people buying the spiderbots on Saturday and doing videos of them, but when we went back on Sunday afternoon we saw only a handful of people with them. The arm bands for the ride we’re on kiosks in every corner of DCA. It will be interesting to see what their numbers look like after this.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldendreamer View Post
            Did anyone else get the Annual Passholder Survey that recently came out? We got one today and will be completing it tonight. Supposedly they want to know how fans felt about the sudden removal of passes. I find the timing so strange coming off the heels of the grand opening weekend of a new (mediocre) land. Maybe they have reached a point where they aren’t getting the money they thought they would. It will be really interesting to see how people respond.
            This would be hysterically funny if it weren't so sad.
            • Management ends the AP program.
            • Attendance takes a dive.
            • Management realizes they goofed and will have to restore some form of AP program.
            • Sends out survey asking APers how they feel about having their passes canceled.
            • Response: "We want our APs back!"
            • Management announces new program (different name but similar profit structure) "due to popular demand."
            • Congratulates self on "giving our guests what they want."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

• Management realizes they goofed and will have to restore some form of AP program.
              • Sends out survey asking APers how they feel about having their passes canceled.
              • Management announces new program (different name but similar profit structure) "due to popular demand."

Bingo! I have a feeling that is exactly what will happen in order for them to save face.

Comment

Likely the course of action. They need someone to fill in the tepid responses to franchise lands done on the (relative) cheap. Though can we continue to call SWGE a failure now that the immensely popular Resistance ride is open? The land has some big issues and likely isn’t helped by the time period it’s set in but the response hasn’t been as tepid since the ride opened.

I think the AP program will be back.....I just continue to bet on it being tied to reservations in some way. The ability to control and know crowds will likely
                just be too tempting for Disney management to pass up. It would also be a relativity solid PR move as management could say “hey we cut out the random drop ins on Friday nights to limit crowding”, which likely doesn’t bring in additional dollars in merchandise/food anyways.

Might be wrong, who knows. Disney is famous for doubling down HARD on things once they have set a course.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                  ...Might be wrong, who knows. Disney is famous for doubling down HARD on things once they have set a course.
                  I hope we're both wrong. I keep hoping that something will happen that prevents the pattern Eisner started from being repeated. But Disney seems locked into the pattern -- and is likely to stay that way as long as customers keep voting Yes with their wallets.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

I seem to never get the AP specific surveys...I always get the "You recently visited the parks" survey. So i didn't get one sent out last summer or fall when Disney was gauging how much we're willing to pay for what perks and haven't seen this survey either in my inbox.

So either Disney is happy with how much I pay on an annual basis and don't need my input or they're unhappy and don't even want to want ask 🤣

Comment

yep. I mean hell, Disney's not even at that point yet of seeing the true effects of not having the ap yet as people are still in that honeymoon phase where they're okay buying tickets every time they wish to go, but when Nintendo Land opens up next year, we'll most likely see a massive shift as locals have had the time to get their Disney fill and become less willing to go as often, where in the next 6 months, will most likely see a huge decline in attendance.

Comment

Money isn’t the problem. From the micechat staff...

Park Capacity Unrestricted – Disneyland will be able to set the park capacity at whatever they want. However, Disneyland has committed to keeping park reservations for the foreseeable future. That’s VERY good news for guests as it prevents severe overcrowding. Expect capacity to slowly increase until the parks start to feel the pinch (don’t worry, you’ll hear me complaining). Then we’ll likely see Disney begin to play around with efficiency so they can start adding even more capacity here and there. But we don’t expect to see shoulder to shoulder conditions again for a very long time, if ever. The current park President, Ken Potrock, has prioritized guest experience and that means not setting the daily crowd limit to the insane levels of 2019 and before. Don’t worry about Disney’s profit margin either, with guests now gladly paying $154/day for a ticket, Disneyland is now making more money per guest than they ever have. Once capacity increases, this should be a very lucrative 2nd half of the year for Disneyland, perhaps their best ever.

From the CEO…

Chapek stated that the per guest spending across the Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders was inconsistent, and the new program aimed to “get an adequate return to our shareholders for the type of experience that we do give to our guests”.
                        Essentially, Chapek and the company feel that the old program was offering too much at an inadequate price point, and also that spending at times was not strong enough amongst Annual Passholders.
                        This would indicate that the new programs will have members paying more money for less days of access (and maybe even lesser benefits).

Not my words…theirs. So the question is, what's the real purpose of this survey?

Last edited by SuperHappyCM; 06-08-2021, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Bwah-ha-ha, that sounds like the equivalent of "Darling, does my bum look big in these jeans?". Disney better be ready for some honest answers that they aren't going to like.
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

Bwah-ha-ha, that sounds like the equivalent of "Darling, does my bum look big in these jeans?". Disney better be ready for some honest answers that they aren't going to like.
                            They quite frankly won't care. If the sentiment from many former APs is negative but the park and profit margins are ahead of what was expected with day passes and tourists then they will forge ahead. I know there are calls for an earlier return to AP but I think they may hold out until at least the end of summer, they have yet to test the non-AP waters with out of state and out of country tourists. The border is stilled closed with Canada and lots of people up here are ready to travel again, there MAY be a huge surge as people spend savings and travel after being cooped up for a year. Bringing back the AP program early would probably be pretty short sighted when you potentially have pent up demand from outside the area as well, it will be a gamble but one Chapek may be willing to make.

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post
                              Yea got one about 2 weeks ago after our most recent visit to the parks and staying at DCA. I replied back and said "go %#$&% yourself" :-)
                              Gee, I can't imagine why. Disney has spent years aggressively selling Annual Passports. They have made uncounted PR utterances declaring their love for APers. They have enticed APers with discounts on food and merchandise. And then suddenly, on the heels of a year-long pandemic, the CEO announces Disney is canceling the program because APers don't spend enough money at the Parks.

Adding to the insult, they send out an AP survey that may as well have said, "Dear Unvalued Ex-APer: Since it's your fault the AP program was canceled, would you mind participating in a marketing survey to help us figure out how to make you spend more at Disney Parks® in the future?"

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

I got mine today. Hilariously, it was sitting in my spam. I'm telling ya, it's like an ex calling the old home phone asking me how I'm doing....

Just fine, thank you!

Comment

Gee, I can't imagine why. Disney has spent years aggressively selling Annual Passports. They have made uncounted PR utterances declaring their love for APers. They have enticed APers with discounts on food and merchandise. And then suddenly, on the heels of a year-long pandemic, the CEO announces Disney is canceling the program because APers don't spend enough money at the Parks.

Adding to the insult, they send out an AP survey that may as well have said, "Dear Unvalued Ex-APer: Since it's your fault the AP program was canceled, would you mind participating in a marketing survey to help us figure out how to make you spend more at Disney Parks® in the future?"
                                  LMAO!!! exactly!!

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Likely the course of action. They need someone to fill in the tepid responses to franchise lands done on the (relative) cheap. Though can we continue to call SWGE a failure now that the immensely popular Resistance ride is open? The land has some big issues and likely isn’t helped by the time period it’s set in but the response hasn’t been as tepid since the ride opened.

I think the AP program will be back.....I just continue to bet on it being tied to reservations in some way. The ability to control and know crowds will likely
                                    just be too tempting for Disney management to pass up. It would also be a relativity solid PR move as management could say “hey we cut out the random drop ins on Friday nights to limit crowding”, which likely doesn’t bring in additional dollars in merchandise/food anyways.

Might be wrong, who knows. Disney is famous for doubling down HARD on things once they have set a course.
                                    I think you're right about SWGE. Once Rise opened, the land has certainly been filled out more. It's not so much a failure as much as it is just brimming with unrealized potential (remember Chapek's Star Wars dinner party announcement?)

The key difference here is that Disney isn't even 6 months away from opening their Avengers E-ticket. They haven't started clearing the expansion area for it, let alone announced anything concrete beyond their years-ago presentation. It took years to build Rise once they cleared the RoA section. It's taking them years to build Cosmic Rewind and Tron. If not for the characters and shows this land would be DOA without its E-ticket.

Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post

Money isn’t the problem. From the micechat staff...

Park Capacity Unrestricted – Disneyland will be able to set the park capacity at whatever they want. However, Disneyland has committed to keeping park reservations for the foreseeable future. That’s VERY good news for guests as it prevents severe overcrowding. Expect capacity to slowly increase until the parks start to feel the pinch (don’t worry, you’ll hear me complaining). Then we’ll likely see Disney begin to play around with efficiency so they can start adding even more capacity here and there. But we don’t expect to see shoulder to shoulder conditions again for a very long time, if ever. The current park President, Ken Potrock, has prioritized guest experience and that means not setting the daily crowd limit to the insane levels of 2019 and before. Don’t worry about Disney’s profit margin either, with guests now gladly paying $154/day for a ticket, Disneyland is now making more money per guest than they ever have. Once capacity increases, this should be a very lucrative 2nd half of the year for Disneyland, perhaps their best ever.

From the CEO…

Chapek stated that the per guest spending across the Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders was inconsistent, and the new program aimed to “get an adequate return to our shareholders for the type of experience that we do give to our guests”.
                                    Essentially, Chapek and the company feel that the old program was offering too much at an inadequate price point, and also that spending at times was not strong enough amongst Annual Passholders.
                                    This would indicate that the new programs will have members paying more money for less days of access (and maybe even lesser benefits).

Not my words…theirs. So the question is, what's the real purpose of this survey?
                                    I think the purpose is this survey is to figure out why legacy APs aren't buying up regular tickets more than once or twice. You're right that money isn't the problem, but here I think attendance is. DCA just opened it's first new land in almost a decade based on Disney's most successful franchise, and yet Disneyland is the park with full reservations in early July. Interest just isn't there, especially when you compare it to when Cars Land opened in 2012 and non-AP parkhoppers would choose to start their day at DCA over Disneyland. When Disney tries to squeeze every last dollar out of guests, we notice. We won't spend money on $100 sandwiches or pay-to-win ride upgrades unless we're getting our money's worth. From the looks of things, that's just not happening with Avengers Campus.

This isn't a dig at you or anyone else on Micechat, but I think the preference for revenues over attendance is a bad business decision. Guest experience matters and overcrowding is a real issue, but that preference only works if you can make up the difference with per capita spending. Has that strategy worked? Judging by quarterly earnings calls, it hasn't for the domestic parks. Revenue was down and just about everything fell short of expectations that were already low because of COVID. The only reason EPS was positive is because Disney furloughed everyone and hadn't accounted for all the DLR CMs it brought back.

The more guests get shortchanged, either with new lands or with giving us half the usual portion of the Monte Cristo for the same price, the more attendance will suffer long-term if we don't get our money's worth. There aren't any construction projects for SoCal other than the Runaway Railway clone, and that is not a good long-term strategy. Disney finally learned last year that Wall Street cares more about gaining Disney+ subscribers than huge box office revenues. Now it seems like they're waiting to learn the same lesson for the theme parks. Only here, Disney just canceled all the subscribers and then asked them how they felt about it after the fact. I guarantee that AP spending at WDW is just as inconsistent as DLR was, but there just aren't as many of them back east. And where have the old APs gone instead? Knott's, Universal, and Six Flags, which don't offer the Disney product but do offer a good experience and value for their guests.
                                    Last edited by WaltDisney'sAlec; 06-08-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Bottom line, no AP, no Disneyland visit. There was a time with the kids when we would open the park and leave when kicked out. Now as I approach 80 years old, 16 hour days in the park is not going to happen. We now spread those 16 hours over a few days. Without an AP, those daily costs put things out of reach.

Comment

I would not put grain of salt , into Disney Survey's...........

Disney use them only ,get a concept , how to make Money from the
                                        THE Consumer".........
                                        IMO it more of a PR spin !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X