Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Breakout is still a horrible eye sore. Needs a refresh ASAP!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Breakout is still a horrible eye sore. Needs a refresh ASAP!

Mission Breakout is still a horrible eye sore. Needs a refresh ASAP!

Sure it looks better at night but it looks so gross behind the modern Avengers Campus
    in the daytime.

I would really prefer in the next 5 years to have it redone to look like Stark (Avengers) Tower and update the theming for the ride accordingly.

I think realistically they would need to complete the rumored Wakanda flight ride first. Only after AC has two new rides would they do a refresh. Even that would likely not happen for a decade, but it never hurts to be optimistic.

Something that looked more like this.

Comment

Chapek bemoaned WDI couldn't meet his demand for reskins and cash-ins quickly enough and challenged them to turn around a GOTG reskin in record time.

The result of this haste? An E ticket that not only doesn't fit in its own park, but now its own land.

This and Pixar Pier are just the beginning. Next up: Splash.

Comment

I could imagine the lower part of the building to look like tops of smaller city buildings while the middle part of the building could be made to look thinner with some creative use of materials and black surfacing. The top of the building would have the signature look of the Stark Tower that would glow at night.

Inside would become a Stark Expo of tech of the future and other cool Avengers stuff. The ride would be the same thing but all the Avengers assemble to stop Ultron from killing guests in the elevator of the building and stop Ultron from using all the new tech being shown at the Stark Expo against the Avengers.

Comment

Yep, and when you can see it all the way in Disneyland, it breaks emersion. Seriously, enter Mainstreet and move towards the left hand side and it's literally there, where it's impossible to miss. Before when it was Tower of Terror, since it didn't pop out, it was easy to ignore and only noticeable if you were legit looking for it, but now, without even trying, you see it.

Comment

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
            Yep, and when you can see it all the way in Disneyland, it breaks emersion. Seriously, enter Mainstreet and move towards the left hand side and it's literally there, where it's impossible to miss. Before when it was Tower of Terror, since it didn't pop out, it was easy to ignore and only noticeable if you were legit looking for it, but now, without even trying, you see it.
            nothing is as bad as having been able to see Maliboomer from thunder Mt. Literally, nothing is as bad as that was
            Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
            July 13th-18th
            November 19th-25th

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post

nothing is as bad as having been able to see Maliboomer from thunder Mt. Literally, nothing is as bad as that was
              was this on the ride or on the ground? I ask because I don't add rides into that since it's impossible to not see beyond the false viewpoints when on rides like Thunder, Matterhorn, Splash, etc. I mean hell, Thunder was so bad that you can see the parking structure through half the ride, so I just give those moments a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post

was this on the ride or on the ground? I ask because I don't add rides into that since it's impossible to not see beyond the false viewpoints when on rides like Thunder, Matterhorn, Splash, etc. I mean hell, Thunder was so bad that you can see the parking structure through half the ride, so I just give those moments a pass.
                You didn't used to be able to see the parking structure so easily from Frontierland. A few winters ago, we got so much rain that the riverbank on that side eroded and some of the big trees were threatening to topple. They removed the trees for safety, but whatever new foliage was planted hasn't had time to grow in.
                Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Agreed one thousand percent -- its an eye sore everywhere, but I absolutely hate seeing this behind Carthay Circle when emerging from Condor Flats especially. If it's a structure that can be seen from all over the parks it needs to look good from all angles (like the Matterhorn), it can't be themed to it's own story with no other considerations.

I mean, Walt told them exactly not to do this kind of thing when they were designing the exterior to the Haunted Mansion (it couldn't look beat down and dirty, even if it made sense for the story that ride was telling, because you could see it from all over the park), they really ought to know better.

Comment

As long as we’re on this subject, how about the backside of galaxy’s edge?

If you park in the structure, this is your very first impression of the land. Talk about ruining the illusion.

Again, this was all figured out decades ago….

When we complain about these things as they arise, it may seem petty or insignificant at the time, but all of these “oversights” are really starting to add up, aren’t they ?
                    Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                      As long as we’re on this subject, how about the backside of galaxy’s edge?

If you park in the structure, this is your very first impression of the land. Talk about ruining the illusion.

Again, this was all figured out decades ago….

All of these “oversights” are really starting to add up, aren’t they ?
                      Or the back of Cars Land for that matter. Ornament Valley looks amazing, but when I'm walking through it I know the Cadillacs are just a façade overlooking Katella and a motel. Fleshing out the facades must have at least come up in discussions amongst the Imagineers, but of course, management didn't think the cost was worth it.
                      Brian the Pooh

Comment

One of the greatest and most exciting Disneyland experiences as a kid was spotting the Matterhorn from the freeways, or seeing it while approaching from the parking lot (I'm sure many here know what I'm taking about).

The only reason why that worked was because the mountain was fully realized. I guess unlike the GE spires, the Guardians tower is fully realized, but....

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                          Chapek bemoaned WDI couldn't meet his demand for reskins and cash-ins quickly enough and challenged them to turn around a GOTG reskin in record time. The result of this haste? An E ticket that not only doesn't fit in its own park, but now its own land. This and Pixar Pier are just the beginning. Next up: Splash.
                          There is no way to re-theme Splash Mountain cheaply - it is too well/thoroughly designed top to bottom. It will take heavy reinvestment. Since it is now/already one of the most popular attractions, it's hard to see what the immediate upside would be for the expense. Especially since classic Br'er Rabbit has appeal across all ages whereas a modern Princess theme appeals mainly to little girls. Also - correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no mountains in or around New Orleans -- it's all flat/swampland.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                            There is no way to re-theme Splash Mountain cheaply - it is too well/thoroughly designed top to bottom. It will take heavy reinvestment. Since it is now/already one of the most popular attractions, it's hard to see what the immediate upside would be for the expense.
                            One hopes they knew that the change would be controversial when they made it, given the ride's popularity, and that spending the money to do it well makes sense to them as a way to defuse the controversy (it's harder to get angry about the change if they do an objectively good job on it). Of course, that's probably too much to hope for...

Especially since classic Br'er Rabbit has appeal across all ages whereas a modern Princess theme appeals mainly to little girls.
                            I strongly suspect the ride will lean into the Bayou creatures angle more so than the princess angle (I imagine a lot of it will look like the Dig A Little Deeper or Going Down the Bayou sequences from the movie); that way you can keep about the same tone as the original ride and even some of the same sets/animatronics. And the fireflies offer a lot of possibilities too if done right, I think, especially for a night treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

I strongly suspect the ride will lean into the Bayou creatures angle more so than the princess angle (I imagine a lot of it will look like the Dig A Little Deeper or Going Down the Bayou sequences from the movie); that way you can keep about the same tone as the original ride and even some of the same sets/animatronics. And the fireflies offer a lot of possibilities too if done right, I think, especially for a night treatment.
                              I certainly hope they keep a lot of the animatronics. They have such a history in the parks going back to America Sings, and Splash Mountain was almost Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean level in terms of number of characters. I don't know how well the geese would fit in with Princess and the Frog, but they were always my favorite.
                              Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post

I certainly hope they keep a lot of the animatronics. They have such a history in the parks going back to America Sings, and Splash Mountain was almost Haunted Mansion/Pirates of the Caribbean level in terms of number of characters. I don't know how well the geese would fit in with Princess and the Frog, but they were always my favorite.
                                Me too, absolutely. And hey, you can always call it a "cost saving measure" and get a pat on the head, so it should be (fingers crossed) do-able.

Comment

There is no way to re-theme Splash Mountain cheaply - it is too well/thoroughly designed top to bottom. It will take heavy reinvestment. Since it is now/already one of the most popular attractions, it's hard to see what the immediate upside would be for the expense. Especially since classic Br'er Rabbit has appeal across all ages whereas a modern Princess theme appeals mainly to little girls. Also - correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no mountains in or around New Orleans -- it's all flat/swampland.
                                  Well said. I certainly hope Disney does a "one last ride" campaign to send it off properly.

I hadn't even thought of the mountain issue. https://neworleanscitypark.com/in-th...outurie-forest. Apparently the tallest natural area in New Orleans is Laborde Mountain, a whopping 43 feet above sea level, or half of Splash Mountain's height!
                                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

If reinvestment money is limited wouldn't it be better spent in Tomorrowland upgrading attractions with fading popularity?

Wonder how was ridership on already popular Tower of Terror was impacted by its change to Guardians? Seems like the same riders in DCA for the day would go either way. Was it worth it (other than plugging franchise)?

Comment

If reinvestment money is limited wouldn't it be better spent in Tomorrowland upgrading attractions with fading popularity?
                                      Potentially, but that also sounds like a tougher and more expensive job to me (it's easier to get a ride right than an entire land). Don't get me wrong -- I'd love for them to upgrade/restore Tomorrowland but, seeing some of their most recent output, maybe it makes sense to hold off on that until someone more capable is at the helm? I don't know if I need to see Tomorrowland done by the team that just brought you Marvel Land, if you catch my drift.

Wonder how was ridership on already popular Tower of Terror was impacted by its change to Guardians? Seems like the same riders in DCA for the day would go either way. Was it worth it (other than plugging franchise)?
                                      I would guess ridership hasn't been meaningfully effected, but I'm not sure -- I wasn't a big fan of that ride in either incarnation, to tell the truth. Not that I have anything against it, just not my cup of tea.

There's a school which holds that management sees plugging the franchise as having an inherent value in and of itself, even if it neither raises theme park attendance nor sells movie tickets. I don't know if it's something I necessarily subscribe to myself, but it's out there.

Comment

There is no way to re-theme Splash Mountain cheaply - it is too well/thoroughly designed top to bottom. It will take heavy reinvestment. Since it is now/already one of the most popular attractions, it's hard to see what the immediate upside would be for the expense. Especially since classic Br'er Rabbit has appeal across all ages whereas a modern Princess theme appeals mainly to little girls.
                                        Disney's CEO is the former head of Disney Consumer Products and Disney Parks. His track record has been to use DLR as a brand marketing platform -- and to do so as cheaply as possible. From his point of view, there is no ancillary market for Song of the South characters, while Disney Princesses is a huge franchise.

The re-theme will be cheap. The only question will be "how cheap."

Also - correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no mountains in or around New Orleans -- it's all flat/swampland.
                                        That's correct. It's also irrelevant to today's Disney Corp. "When brand marketing talks, theme walks."

It would be better for us as Disneyland fans, but not for Disney's marketing machine. Chapek won't greenlight anything for DLR that doesn't promote a currently popular franchise brand.

To Chapek, converting a ride that was based on a non-owned IP into a ride that promotes a currently hot Disney-owned brand is a no-brainer. Doing it as cheaply as possible adds to its value.
                                        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-10-2021, 01:32 PM.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X