Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Breakout is still a horrible eye sore. Needs a refresh ASAP!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

As many have pointed out, Marvel is their most profitable IP, and they cheaped out.

What makes anyone think they're not going to cheap out on PATF, which brings in a fraction of a fraction of the revenue Marvel does? It's not even the most popular princess franchise.
    I think this relationship may actually be inverted -- if a franchise is already popular management will see additional money being spent on its rides as being a waste, as the IP already draws in people. In other words: "People are going to show up in droves to anything we put a "Marvel" sticker on, so the accountants say that we shouldn't do anything other than put the sticker on." I imagine Princess and the Frog merch sells just based on how much they keep producing, but the property doesn't exactly have that same appeal.

I think PATF was selected not because they wanted to promote Tiana (even though they should, it's a great movie!) but because the Bayou critters were as close to the Song of the South critters as they could find in a reasonably well known film that, for obvious reasons, isn't Song of the South. I think Tiana will be there, but maybe only in frog form, but I'll be surprised if it's a "Princess" themed ride. It'll be a "Bayou but only whoops the Bayou is also a mountain" themed ride.

I do anticipate less animatronics for maintenance reasons and more screens, which is gross, but I don't think they'll screw it up too badly. Or at least I think there's a decent chance they won't. For one thing, I think management sees this largely as a PR move, and messing it up would be bad PR. For another, it's Tony Baxter's baby, and I imagine there are still people in the company (hopefully?) who take that seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
      One of the greatest and most exciting Disneyland experiences as a kid was spotting the Matterhorn from the freeways, or seeing it while approaching from the parking lot (I'm sure many here know what I'm taking about).

The only reason why that worked was because the mountain was fully realized. I guess unlike the GE spires, the Guardians tower is fully realized, but....
      Today it kind of ruins everything to see mature trees near the Matterhorn and the castle which are out scale to the forced perspectives as originally intended. Makes the matterhorn and the castle seem smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post

Today it kind of ruins everything to see mature trees near the Matterhorn and the castle which are out scale to the forced perspectives as originally intended. Makes the matterhorn and the castle seem smaller.
        I dunno, I think I'd pick decent shade over perfect forced perspective any day of the week.
        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

Ah, but that's where you're wrong, for you see there is only one princess franchise, the Disney Princess franchise, of which Tiana is a part. There may be fewer small children calling her their favorite than some of the others, but what difference does it make? It's not as if Tiana is a character. She, like the other Princesses, is merely a sentient, mobile ballgown accessorized with jewelry, existing only to hypnotize children so that they pester their parents to buy them smaller versions of the same construct. All Princesses are part of the same collective, and therefore fundamentally equally popular. Only the colors of the gowns differ. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
          One of the best comments I've seen here in a long time! Whenever someone mentions that Snow White is the only princess ride in the park, I am momentarily shocked. It's amazing old Pinocchio has lasted as long as he has.

I do think Disney has to know there is extra scrutiny with Tiana not just being the first Black princess, but being the first Black character to star in a ride. Hopefully they will take some lessons from the Snow White redo- that they can do a lot with practical sets, mostly static characters, and just a little projection mapping. It's also about a ten minute ride where you can look around in any direction. Doesn't lend itself to screens really. The big question is whether they keep the song Zip-a-dee-do-dah in any form or fashion, since it's so linked to the Disneyland Songbook and really fits right in thematically.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

I dunno, I think I'd pick decent shade over perfect forced perspective any day of the week.
            Actually the real reason they have allowed many of the trees around the castle and other areas to grow as high as they have had nothing to do with shade. The reason is the trees block the views out beyond the park perimeter of all of the large buildings which are now present in the area which were at the time Disneyland opened just farmland, and therefore unseen from the viewpoints around the park. Back then the castle seemed taller because there was no competition, and therefore the forced perspective worked.

Now when Disney build or expands a land, they build a large Hollywood style backdrop of hills or such to block the views from grade level which might be seen out beyond the park perimeter. Toontown, Carsland, and now Star Wars land, all have those newer elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post

Actually the real reason they have allowed many of the trees around the castle and other areas to grow as high as they have had nothing to do with shade. The reason is the trees block the views out beyond the park perimeter of all of the large buildings which are now present in the area which were at the time Disneyland opened just farmland, and therefore unseen from the viewpoints around the park. Back then the castle seemed taller because there was no competition, and therefore the forced perspective worked.

Now when Disney build or expands a land, they build a large Hollywood style backdrop of hills or such to block the views from grade level which might be seen out beyond the park perimeter. Toontown, Carsland, and now Star Wars land, all have those newer elements.
              That's a good point regarding blocking views of buildings. While perfect forced perspective would be nice, I think it's more important to block out views from beyond the park perimeter; it's always kind of jarring to walk through California Adventure and see the Anaheim Convention Center, Paradise Pier Hotel, et cetera. So I'd say keep the trees.
              “I think, therefore I am... confused.”
              ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Comment

I feel it was a major improvement over the rundown hotel. I think they should put any time, money and effort into Tomorrowland.

Comment

Originally posted by eicarr View Post
                  I feel it was a major improvement over the rundown hotel. I think they should put any time, money and effort into Tomorrowland.
                  Ding! yes I for one am tired of seeing expansions and re-skins when one of the pasts most exciting and popular lands sits incomplete and now flawed with scraps tossed at it out of fear of any major commitment as if accounting and Imagineering are in agreement the challenge to fix it goes beyond their skill set.

Regarding GofG - the re-skin wasn't awesome but it also wasn't as tragic as some feel. The lines are just as long if not longer so the public has spoken and they feel it was a success. Was it a shoehorned attempt of course it was, they did feature the structure in a major marvel movie so the tie in was planned and as much of a Twighlight Zone fan as I am am I always thought ToT felt more like a Universal ride than a Disney one.

Regarding the Splash re-skin to PatF - I welcome it and am glad to finally see a ride based around a person of color ( though likely many of the pirates on POTC are Spanish ) Now if they fix the boats so water doesn't flood into the log every other time that would excellent.
                  Last edited by Starcade; 06-15-2021, 06:04 PM.
                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post

Regarding the Splash resin to PatF - I welcome it and am glad to finally see a ride based around a person of color ( though likely many of the pirates on POTC are Spanish ) Now if they fix the boats so water doesn't flood into the log every other time that would excellent.
                    I think this clip perfectly sums up the divisiveness our fandom has over the Splash Mountain change.

“I think, therefore I am... confused.”
                    ― Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Comment

Somebody mentioned earlier that the bayou doesn't have a mountain. So I did a lil research and while the bayou doesn't Louisiana actually does have a mountain ( Driskill Mtn. ) but it is only 535' tall. Doesn't seem like much but Splash Mtn. is only 95' tall so if Tiana's story takes place a couple of hours north an adventure having a mtn. is possible. Just thought I would throw that out there as I found it interesting.
                      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X