Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Iger sells over half his Disney Stock, does he know something others don't?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bob Iger sells over half his Disney Stock, does he know something others don't?

    He claims it's diversification and I know many execs have windows where they can exercise and sell their stocks but the timing of this seems interesting. Plus he is selling over half of his Disney holdings right as team chapek are parroting that profits are about to skyrocket due to higher yield per customer etc. etc.

    There are several articles on this but this one doesn't have a paywall:
    https://deadline.com/2021/06/bob-ige...es-1234770849/

    Thoughts?
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

  • #2
    If I had a chance to put $90 million in my back pocket and still have tens of millions in Disney stock, I would. Iger is 70 years old. I don't see his selling of Disney stock as a sign he's lost confidence in the company. I see it as his easing into the final phase of his life with money to play with.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SuperHappyCM View Post
      If I had a chance to put $90 million in my back pocket and still have tens of millions in Disney stock, I would. Iger is 70 years old. I don't see his selling of Disney stock as a sign he's lost confidence in the company. I see it as his easing into the final phase of his life with money to play with.
      This. If investors thought anything else, the stock would have dropped. It didn't do anything.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Starcade View Post
        Thoughts?
        I think it's a bit puzzling, given what's happening with the Company and the business world these days.

        I thought it was bit puzzling how quickly he got Chapek promoted to CEO, considering what was happening with the Company and the business world back then.

        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

          I think it's a bit puzzling, given what's happening with the Company and the business world these days.

          I thought it was bit puzzling how quickly he got Chapek promoted to CEO, considering what was happening with the Company and the business world back then.
          Yes I agree regardless of his age ( 70 is the new 50 ) he doesn't need the cash on hand and many articles claim he said he was reinvesting the money in other things (diversifying) so it's not a cash payout he is looking for. He knows more about what is about to happen with the company more so than maybe anyone minus chapek plus he has far more experience in seeing the results of various moves. Why not hold on to that if the stock is about to go up? His insider info is telling him he can make more investing in things outside Disney, things he does not have intimate info on. The country as a whole is going to see large swings on various stocks both skyrocketing while others begin falling simultaneously as the world opens back up and consumers are either flush with cash or broke due to Covid. Why not hedge your bet on a proven success unless you do not see as much? Would he have sold more if he could, I wonder if he is limited on the amount he can sell per quarter? Also CEO's selling huge chunks do not often trigger sell off's but they are often signs of things to come and then a month or two later you see the stock take a hit. BTW I do not want to see the stock fall I am not happy about this even if it could be bad for chapek as my wife has shares through her retirement fund and I am just a little concerned this is the first sign of something else.
          Last edited by Starcade; 06-08-2021, 03:30 PM.
          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

            I think it's a bit puzzling, given what's happening with the Company and the business world these days.

            I thought it was bit puzzling how quickly he got Chapek promoted to CEO, considering what was happening with the Company and the business world back then.
            Maybe he figure at his age.....He got his $MONEY$........
            It time to find that EXIT door . IMO
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

            Comment


            • #7
              I think it a signal the company is going to tank...LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                He doesn't want to risk having to pay higher amounts for in taxes. I know in my state we just enacted a capital gains tax. I would think that he is just trying to get a good amount of it back before potentially higher taxes get put in place.
                Trips coming up:

                May 22-26th
                July 13th-18th
                November 19th-25th

                Comment


                • #9

                  For those who remember David Letterman's Top 10 lists...


                  TOP TEN REASONS WHY BOB IGER NEEDS TO SELL HIS DISNEY STOCK

                  10. Bankrolling secret corporation of ex-Imagineers to mass-manufacture cheap AA theme park employees.

                  9. Producing 26-episode "My Years with Michael Eisner: Where Was the Magic?" docudrama series.

                  8. Taking Disney Cruise through shark-infested waters, wants a much bigger boat.

                  7. REDACTED so as not to get MiceChat in trouble (but one of the words is "Mouse").

                  6. Considering 2024 Presidential run with new "Disney++++++" third party.

                  5. Going into partnership with Elon Musk to build chain of "MuskMax" big-box stores.

                  4. Buying Cayman Islands to develop exclusive "Bobs of the Caribbean" resort.

                  3. REDACTED so as not to get MiceChat in trouble (but one of the words is "Duck").

                  2. Secretly purchasing Chinese factory that makes Bob Chapek's head wax.


                  And the #1 reason why Bob Iger needs to sell his Disney stock:

                  1. "I'm taking the family to Disneyland, do you have any idea what that costs?!"


                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                  - Walt Disney

                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

                  "It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post


                    And the #1 reason why Bob Iger needs to sell his Disney stock:

                    1. "I'm taking the family to Disneyland, do you have any idea what that costs?!"

                    you got it .........
                    I sure he wants.....to treat Family to a corn dog's as well........
                    They going have hard time , finding a Park bench lol
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      With how the last year & a half has been, Iger may be ready to throw in the towel. This could explain why he is has sold off some his shares.

                      Or...he is doing this before 2022, which is a federal election year(Mid-Terms). Iger has expressed interest in a elected position in the past(for some reason). I honestly could see him running for US Senate or House.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Starcade View Post

                        Yes I agree regardless of his age ( 70 is the new 50 ) he doesn't need the cash on hand and many articles claim he said he was reinvesting the money in other things (diversifying) so it's not a cash payout he is looking for. He knows more about what is about to happen with the company more so than maybe anyone minus chapek plus he has far more experience in seeing the results of various moves. Why not hold on to that if the stock is about to go up? His insider info is telling him he can make more investing in things outside Disney, things he does not have intimate info on. The country as a whole is going to see large swings on various stocks both skyrocketing while others begin falling simultaneously as the world opens back up and consumers are either flush with cash or broke due to Covid. Why not hedge your bet on a proven success unless you do not see as much? Would he have sold more if he could, I wonder if he is limited on the amount he can sell per quarter? Also CEO's selling huge chunks do not often trigger sell off's but they are often signs of things to come and then a month or two later you see the stock take a hit. BTW I do not want to see the stock fall I am not happy about this even if it could be bad for chapek as my wife has shares through her retirement fund and I am just a little concerned this is the first sign of something else.
                        The parks division is a small portion of the overall company. If it comes back at even a portion of what it was pre pandemic shutdown the overall outlook will be fine. The real dollars are now in leveraging properties they own, predominantly through Disney+ and licensing. For example Iger got them out of the video game business and into the license business. Now they have virtually zero risk and overhead.

                        Disneys issue now is that their NA customer base is shrinking. The number of people who can actually afford their product isn’t growing, which means looking elsewhere (like China).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sold the majority of my DIS holdings last year, before the big push up from $120 to $180. Years of the stock languishing at around $100, coupled with the Parks and Cruise industry shut down had me thinking the stock was going back down to the low $90's. Go figure! Don't bet against the mouse. Iger still owns a boatload of shares, not too worried. Disney + will need to pay a ton to ramp up content for Disney +. I believe Iger when he says he wants to diversify. I don't see a big push-up in DIS share price for a while. (But note that I got that one wrong last year, .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Once the cruise lines open up, the parks are at full steam and streaming keeps going I think you will see their stock over $200 again easy. I think Iger had to option some of his which is common, use it or lose it basically.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Igor has enjoyed great success in business. He can see the potential conflict in China for American businesses. Also the climate for business and tourism in California does not appear great now or in the near future. The capacity issues for the Disney's cruise line in Florida do not look all that great for the time being either. As well as the ever present issue of inflation. And last but not least, taxes could be taking a major turn in the near future for the Bob's of this world. I can't think of a better time for Bob to sell.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                There was a time....that IGER was talking buying a football team....?....

                                Any How....he got his Money ,and time for him to retire......
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  If he does, he's taking a major risk. I mean this is what led to Martha Stewarts prison time, so if he sold off the stocks only for the Disney stocks to take a major hit, then that would put him in major hot water.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    With how the last year & a half has been, Iger may be ready to throw in the towel. This could explain why he is has sold off some his shares.

                                    Or...he is doing this before 2022, which is a federal election year(Mid-Terms). Iger has expressed interest in a elected position in the past(for some reason). I honestly could see him running for US Senate or House.
                                    Yea- I read the News and there been talk......special from the wall street people.

                                    IMO...He would never would get my vote .........he to much a ME ME
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                                      I think it a signal the company is going to tank...LOL
                                      China would just buy the company out. Most of Disney's films are made to satisfy the Chinese idea of what is entertaining anyway. So, why not buy Disney?

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Iger wants to be president. It takes a lot of money to bankroll a viable campaign.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X