Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Bayou serving Alcoholic drinks

With BB serving the good stuff now, they should expand sales to the rest of the park now. Would like to be able to pick up a beer without crossing the park.

This has been discussed a lot in the thread "The Blue Bayou will serve Beer" from a few months ago. I have no doubt you'll get your wish in due time; Disney will soon want to expand alcohol options to the demographic that doesn't go to the Blue Bayou.

I'm personally against this change; not all of Walt Disney's park standards are necessary in the modern era, but I think he absolutely made the right call eliminating alcohol (Karalora summed it up perfectly in the other thread, so I won't rehash). But $ talks.
    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 06-12-2021, 10:46 PM.
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
      With BB serving the good stuff now, they should expand sales to the rest of the park now. Would like to be able to pick up a beer without crossing the park.
      Disneyland is a place "where dreams come true." Keep hoping, and one day you may get your wish...

I could use some beers in disneyland, would prob help me spend more money in their shops
      They need another full service bar in the park, and 2 in DL too
      more breweries the better, with the crowds alcohol is needed
      We normally get hammered on the Mark Twain as we sail around the river of America
      Nothing better than sailing around on the mark twain with a nice adult beverage in hand.
      Cantina bar!! Bring on some drinks!
      Perfect spot [Aladdin's Oasis] and they should start selling alcohol there too
      would be amazing is they could serve some alcohol tropical drinks here [Tropical Hideaway]
      tropical drinks like Mai Tai's would be great, also some great Hawaiian beers out there [Tropical Hideaway]
      Will be disappointed if they don't roll out some beer carts [in SW:GE]
      Bring on the drinks, it will help improve the park
      Being drunk in Disneyland is the best, I recommend everyone to try it a few times

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post
        This has been discussed a lot in the thread "The Blue Bayou will serve Beer" from a few months ago. I have no doubt you'll get your wish in due time; Disney will soon want to expand alcohol options to the demographic that doesn't go to the Blue Bayou.

I'm personally against this change; not all of Walt Disney's park standards are necessary in the modern era, but I think he absolutely made the right call eliminating alcohol (Karalora summed it up perfectly in the other thread, so I won't rehash). But $ talks.
        I am a big fan of Walt Disney that man, but it isn't like Disneyland never had alcohol served; you just had to be an elite member of Club 33. Then you could come to the park, go to the Club 33 bar, get a half a load on, and then go walk around in Fantasyland.

I have no problem with adult beverages, as long as people act like adults. This makes for a great profit margin. Make your money at the bar, and then you don't need to cut corners in other areas. I also have no problem with a 2 drink MAXIMUM for those who wish to drink. Many sports and concert venues are able to achieve this with wristbands.... I mean, if they felt they needed a way to be certain people aren't over indulging.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post

I have no problem with adult beverages, as long as people act like adults. This makes for a great profit margin. Make your money at the bar, and then you don't need to cut corners in other areas. I also have no problem with a 2 drink MAXIMUM for those who wish to drink. Many sports and concert venues are able to achieve this with wristbands.... I mean, if they felt they needed a way to be certain people aren't over indulging.
          To add....most others THEME PARK's such as KNOTT's been serving alcohol for years.......

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Brian PieGuy View Post

you’re against alcohol
            i guarantee you support social distancing and wearing masks

isnt America supposed to be Land of the free?
            looking more like the land of the naggers

you support people getting shots for covid
            but not taking shots at Disneyland

unamerican 💯

Comment

Originally posted by DaHatTrick View Post

you’re against alcohol

unamerican 💯
              This is such a massive false equivalency I hope its a sarcastic post

I don't care much at all about drinks being served in Disneyland as long as they are on top of people being obnoxiously drunk in the parks. The substantial local annual faire near us expanded drink sales beyond beer gardens pre-covid year and the result was that in the early evening when there were still tons of families in the park there were also a far larger number of spilly talkers wandering around. I know we are talking about two standards here but I'd like to escape obnoxious drunkeness on a family vacation to a family theme park, if you need to get smashed that badly there's tons of other places to do it. All that being said though, they've had had pretty liberal drink sales at DCA for awhile now and it hasn't been that bad, though you can't wander with a drink in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                Disneyland is a place "where dreams come true." Keep hoping, and one day you may get your wish...
                Masterful.

you’re against alcohol

unamerican 💯
                I'm sorry -- what?

Comment

I guess this is where we're all supposed to slap our foreheads and say "Of COURSE! Getting vaccinated for a potentially deadly infectious disease is EXACTLY like slugging back servings of hard liquor, because they're both called 'shots!' And the choice of a privately owned and operated venue to sell or not sell certain categories of goods is PRECISELY THE SAME as the U.S. Government upholding or violating Constitutional rights!"

I am by no means a puritan, but I am baffled by people who are so affronted by the notion of a theme park that doesn't serve alcohol. Why is alcohol that important to your entertainment? Especially, why is it so important that you be able to walk around with a drink? It's such a bizarrely specific demand.
                  Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

you’re against alcohol

unamerican 💯
                    That's a lot of assumptions made about an anonymous person with a Pooh Bear avatar who made a short comment about alcohol at Disneyland. I do support a lot of the things you mentioned, but it is completely unrelated to my views on alcohol at the Happiest Place on Earth. If you want my nuanced views on how our government has handled Covid, check out Micechat's Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge, where I occasionally post about this topic.

And if this kind of condescending jab is going to become your standard mode of operation, you're on the wrong forum.
                    Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 06-14-2021, 03:09 PM.
                    Brian the Pooh

Comment

unamerican 💯
                      Ironically I want to put this on a shirt and wear it on July 4th.

That aside, not a great take.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Ironically I want to put this on a shirt and wear it on July 4th.

That aside, not a great take.

if you out of all others understood the true context of the comment, bravo.

It would make a great 4th of July shirt wouldn’t it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

I am by no means a puritan, but I am baffled by people who are so affronted by the notion of a theme park that doesn't serve alcohol. Why is alcohol that important to your entertainment? Especially, why is it so important that you be able to walk around with a drink? It's such a bizarrely specific demand.
                          I believe that a business has every right to sell or not sell whatever they wish. Alcohol is not illegal, it is sold in just about every sit down restaurant people go to without any problems, so why not at BB, or any other parts of Disneyland. Adult beverages are for adults.... or at least people capable of behaving like adults. I have much less problem with seeing someone enjoying a glass of wine or a beer than somebody with a 40oz sugar filled sodapop and gob of cotton candy in their other hand. Do both choices present specific health risks? Sure, they both do, especially when not practiced in moderation. But I'm fine with that, their body their choice I figure.

What I do have a problem with is people over indulging in alcoholic beverages and then acting stupid. I find it hard to go to a Dodgers game anymore with some many drunken fans, but I blame that on lax stadium management. Controlling the amount people are served, and why the local authority on that is called ABC (alcohol beverage control) and their are strict rules on who can sell, who can buy, and how things are consumed. Then beyond that it is easy to institute a policy where people are only served a limited amount by good management.

If a park doesn't like walking around with drinks, they could be consumed while sitting at a tables only, same as restaurants do. Go to the beach and many places are serving drinks, but by local ordinance they have to be within a certain enclosure and not waking down the street.

My question to you, is why is it so important that you should question what another adult enjoys doing, especially something that isn't illegal? They aren't driving a car, why would we care?

Comment

For those of you who missed the first discussion on alcohol at the Blue Bayou from two months ago: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...ill-serve-beer Skip to page 2 for the main arguments for and against.
                            Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 06-14-2021, 03:28 PM.
                            Brian the Pooh

Comment

Now I am wondering why some people keep reiterating that alcohol is a) legal and b) for adults. I don't think anyone has disputed those points. It reeks of protesting too much. Legal =/= moral,* and people generally resort to "There's no law against it!" when they know it's something that basic decency and social graces would suggest they refrain from doing.

* To be very clear, consuming alcohol in moderation is not immoral either. I'm just trying to keep the thread free of gross logical fallacies.

Comment

Now I am wondering why some people keep reiterating that alcohol is a) legal and b) for adults. I don't think anyone has disputed those points. It reeks of protesting too much. Legal =/= moral,* and people generally resort to "There's no law against it!"
                                Actually there are plenty of laws which regulate it, and if all of those rules are followed, along with common sense, there never is a problem.

I never said legal equals moral, because "moral" is something which can have many subjective definitions, and we don't do that discussion here on this forum. Some people would argue it isn't "moral" to let kids have so much sugary drinks. See my point?

When I say it is legal, and for adults, I am just stating the obvious reality associated with a company (Disney), and individuals (adults), sharing in something that is not uncommon, an in fact has always been common at Disneyland, just more restricted (Club 33, or Disneyland Hotel).

when they know it's something that basic decency and social graces would suggest they refrain from doing.
                                That sounds like a moral argument to me. But answer me this: If I can go and sit down at a place in Downtown Disney and have several drinks, and then get on the monorail and go inside the park within 5 minutes of consuming those drinks. Then why not the same to sit down at BB and have the same drinks?

* To be very clear, consuming alcohol in moderation is not immoral either. I'm just trying to keep the thread free of gross logical fallacies.
                                I think the logical reality is as I said, it has always been part of Disney in some form, and now it will be more available inside the park in more places. It makes sense from a profit standpoint, but there are risks, and that is why good management is necessary. We don't need intoxicated people anywhere. Not inside the parks, not on the roads, no place.

Comment

I don't really understand this debate. It seems like the real issues are a) whether having more booze, including possibly on-the-go booze, will noticeable impact park atmosphere, and b) whether serving more booze inside DLR will lead to perceptibly more incidents of bad behavior (ranging from mild obnoxiousness or loudness to full out problematic "scenes") beyond what happens already. Everything other argument seems periphery at best.

I'm more in the "yes and yes" camp and would therefore rather keep alcohol out of DLR, but I think both opinions are reasonable, and if you're in the "no and no" camp I do understand where you're coming from. I also don't think the (what seems to me) to be limited upside outweighs the (what seems to me) to be fairly considerable possible downside, but again, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                                    I don't really understand this debate. It seems like the real issues are a) whether having more booze, including possibly on-the-go booze, will noticeable impact park atmosphere, and b) whether serving more booze inside DLR will lead to perceptibly more incidents of bad behavior (ranging from mild obnoxiousness or loudness to full out problematic "scenes") beyond what happens already. Everything other argument seems periphery at best.

I'm more in the "yes and yes" camp and would therefore rather keep alcohol out of DLR, but I think both opinions are reasonable, and if you're in the "no and no" camp I do understand where you're coming from. I also don't think the (what seems to me) to be limited upside outweighs the (what seems to me) to be fairly considerable possible downside, but again, your mileage may vary.
                                    This is where I'm at too to be honest, and my engagement with the debate is less "Oh no this is horrible what would Walt think?" (Dude's been dead for 55 years; his hypothetical opinions are irrelevant) and more "Wait, why are some people so adamant that this is good move?" And when the responses fall along the lines of "Because it's not illegal" and "Because you can already get hammered in DTD and hop on the monorail," that's not really answering my question, is it? It's defending against arguments I haven't made.

Comment

^Yes. I think you can certainly make some inferences (which I have the good sense to refrain from making here!) about our "drinking culture" from the way these discussions tend to go, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

Well said post.

From the perspective of upside, all I can say is that with rising healthcare costs, rising cost for electricity, and rising cost for labor, a very quick boost to the bottom line of ANY establishment which is already serving food is to add alcohol to the offerings. First wine and beer license, but for the real boost a full bar is the ticket. In the restaurant business it is really difficult today to make a decent profit covering all of the costs without the revenue from the bar. The mark up on mixed drinks is HUGE, and so why not add that if you can?

The profit margin on mixed drinks can be as much as 70-90% depending on the grade of alcohol being served.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X