Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

it's a small world song - Love it or hate it?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] it's a small world song - Love it or hate it?

Obnoxious ear worm or timelessly charming?
    Love it!
    69.05%
    Hate It!
    11.90%
    Indifferent
    19.05%

The poll isn't working for some reason, but count me as someone who not only loves this song, but believes the hate it tends to get is based on exaggeration rather than reality. People say "It's so repetitive!" but...is it, really? When it's constantly changing languages (and therefore lyrics), instrumentation, rhythm, and even key signature, in order to reflect the folk music styles of the various nations on display? Is it actually any more repetitive than "Yo Ho" or "Grim Grinning Ghosts" or any of the classic Epcot attraction themes? I don't think it is...and it's markedly less repetitive than typical video game background music, which people are often content to listen to more-or-less indefinitely while they level-grind in a favorite area.

I think what actually gets people to make fun of the song is that they're already disdainful of the ride, and that's because they're cynics with no appreciation for stylized art.
    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

PhotoMatt, please see above. I also had problems with entering my response. I edited the post and it worked, but I'm not sure if it's works for everyone or is still broken.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Love! I think there is a smidge of obnoxiousness that is part of its charm. I also think it’s gets hate because of its positive message (perhaps it feels a little too sweet for some with both a positive message and child voices?).

Comment

I am indifferent but if you asked me at different stages of my life I would have answered differently at various times.

From infant to about 10 I would have said love it. From 10-30 I would have said hated it. 30- I have been indifferent. I appreciate the message and the music is tolerable and now seems more like background than an ear worm that it once was as a teen/young adult.
          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I put myself in the "hate it" camp, but I really have mixed feelings. I like the idea of the song, it's message, and its purpose. Those are all fantastic, well-intentioned, and make it good in the context of a theme park ride.

However, just taking it as a single piece of music, I wish it was never released. I simply cannot stand the tune, and I wish they had varied it an the lyrics a bit more throughout the ride. I'm indifferent to it when I go on the ride, but that's because I only go on it during Christmas when the music is different, haha.

I hope my view changes as I age, but at this point in my life, my relationship with this song is one of distance.

Comment

I'm indifferent. I think I enjoyed it more in my youth than I do as an adult. I think that comes with some cynicism that's developed from growing older. It's hard keeping yourself in a state of childish wonder; however, I suppose we should credit Walt Disney at least for entertaining the idea.

Overall, a good bop when I'm feeling cheery, but not strong enough to lift the spirits for me.

Comment

I can not tell a lie: I love it.

Comment

The only thing more charming than the it's a small world music is the it's a small world holiday music!

In truth, I think my love for the ride (top 5 at Disneyland IMO) makes me biased towards ranking the music highly. If I look at the music in a vacuum, I don't think its one of the best attraction soundtracks and I don't think the song enhances the ride necessarily, other tunes would probably suit the attraction well.

I still love the song though, and one of my fondest Disney memories is hearing Richard Sherman perform it at D23.
                  Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM. Reason: unnecessary comma
                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

Love it. The song and the ride remind me of visiting Disneyland during the "Wow decade" of the 60s with the excitement of Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, Small World, Tomorrowland '67, Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                      I put myself in the "hate it" camp, but I really have mixed feelings. I like the idea of the song, it's message, and its purpose. Those are all fantastic, well-intentioned, and make it good in the context of a theme park ride.

However, just taking it as a single piece of music, I wish it was never released. I simply cannot stand the tune, and I wish they had varied it an the lyrics a bit more throughout the ride. I'm indifferent to it when I go on the ride, but that's because I only go on it during Christmas when the music is different, haha.

I hope my view changes as I age, but at this point in my life, my relationship with this song is one of distance.

Comment

The Sherman Bros are personal heroes to me. Wish their kind of optimism (like Walt's) was still part of our real world. They worked to make life more beautiful through music.

Comment

I love it, always have.

It brings me to something like......just leave all the garbage of the world behind and enjoy life as it was meant to be lived. Pure happiness.

It also reminds me of the first time I heard it, of course, it stuck in my mind for a long time but it brought about pleasant memories.

Every time I hear it or remember it, I think of all the characters with smiling faces which tends to bring a nice smile to my own face.

It may be selective memory but as I remember, there are no sad faces, no anger, no unpleasant anything on the entire ride. All happiness. It takes some serious talent to make a ride like this and have it stand the test of time.

Comment

I have a playlist on my phone that is called "Instant Happiness". It's filled with songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand, Sugar Sugar, and Brown Eyed Girl for when I just want to feel good.

It's a Small World is also on that list because it's just so joyous and positive. I always feel better after I hear it.

Comment

That song is like Captain and Tenile's Muskrat Love....

I hate it.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo Round Up. Who wasn't in love with Annette back in the day?

Comment

I love Annette still to this day. And Hayley too. They were and are living proof the Walt Disney era really existed.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of people know this, but it's a small world was originally supposed to feature different national anthems sung in their respective regions. Walt Disney and his team decided this arrangement resulted in a cacophony, however, and I assume they made the right call. While the attraction does feature the classic song performed in several languages, the video below recreates what the attraction would sound like if more rooms featured their own version of the tune.

(I'm not sure if these versions are from a different Disney park or if they have to do with the time the John Debney arrangement was used).

Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 06-18-2021, 09:22 PM.
                                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

I love it and it always makes me feel happy. I went to Disneyland a few weeks ago and It’s a Small World was my last ride of the night. Put a smile on my face and was the perfect way to end the day.

Comment

“it’s a small world”
                                      I Love It......but like many other things we love
                                      We can it love it to death.........and Hearing it and Hearing -Over and Over...
                                      One can go= "Nut's)))((((
                                      imo
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It would be cool if they did the Small World ride on occasion with all the lights off and then rock music playing. Kind of like the Aerosmith thing they did with Space Mountain.

Now which songs they play would be the question? My choice would be a trilogy of songs:

Rock This Town (Stray Cats)
                                        It's A Long Way to the Top (AC/DC)
                                        Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

Do that and then I would enjoy this ride...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X