Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't we pay per hour

I think if the suits want to have a much more limited AP/membership program they should do something that still allows partial day drop ins.

Why not sell blocks of hours, possibly even at normal gate price - $10-20/ hour. Spend $400 and get 20-40 hours to use as you please. 2-4 full park days, or 10 evening drop ins for 3 hours. If people go below 0, auto charge another 10 hours or something like that.

The only logistic hurdle is scanning people on the way out as well as on the way in.

I am almost dreading a Disneyland day, as I feel I need to stay open to close to get my value out of a day ticket. With a pass, I was usually in the parks from 8am-11:30am

Putting aside any sort of research into whether or not this is something that would turn Disney a profit, there is a fairly simple way to overcome the logistical hurdles involved. Simply use what LEGOLAND used to do for in-park shoppers and have a system that takes down your credit card information before you enter the park. Perhaps you link a credit card to the ticket, scan it upon entry, then scan it again when you leave. The computer then calculates how long you stayed and charges you accordingly. If someone fails to scan out in an attempt to cheat the system, they are simply charged for the entire day in the park.

I think LEGOLAND stopped doing their shopping pass, though. Perhaps there is a reason an idea like this never took off. Knotts even had an "evening ticket" for a while, too. Not sure what happened to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealSammybk View Post
      The only logistic hurdle is scanning people on the way out as well as on the way in.
      And I'm gonna go ahead and call it an insurmountable one. It's more like a bunch of hurdles in a trenchcoat.

Hurdle #1: Keeping the main gate fully staffed from open to close.

Hurdle #2: The inevitable drastic slowdown of the exit path as every guest is challenged in case they are an AP.

Hurdle #3: APs will try to skive a full day off a single hour remaining on their card by pretending to be day guests on the way out, and there's no real way to stop them.

And that's just off the top of my head.
      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

And I'm gonna go ahead and call it an insurmountable one. It's more like a bunch of hurdles in a trenchcoat.

Hurdle #1: Keeping the main gate fully staffed from open to close.

Hurdle #2: The inevitable drastic slowdown of the exit path as every guest is challenged in case they are an AP.

Hurdle #3: APs will try to skive a full day off a single hour remaining on their card by pretending to be day guests on the way out, and there's no real way to stop them.

And that's just off the top of my head.
        I have thought of this many times and is other issues as well:

- When somebody's time runs out who locates and ushers them out?

- Having to have multiple family members coordinate hours incase somebody runs out of hours.

- Would unused hours carry over from year to year?

One idea I had was charge a full day and then reduce the charge based on hours of the day not used with a discount down to 6 hours ( half day) Your ticket is $154 but if you arrive an hour after opening and leave at say 6pm it's only $95 etc. There is a hold put on your card as you enter and the payment is processed end of day.

I remember Knott's evening tickets I think the problem there is it brought in the partiers that were reluctant to leave because they were just getting fired up around closing time.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Honestly the only way I can see it potentially working is if they change how the whole park works so that everyone has to scan their pass/ticket to enter any attraction, like at the subway station. They still couldn't chase down people whose time was up, but they could bar them from attractions until they bought more time. It would still be a nightmare to implement though, and for what? So the park takes in less money? Never gonna happen.
          Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
            ...- When somebody's time runs out who locates and ushers them out?
            No problem there. In keeping with management's love of customer-Do-It-Yourself tech instead of employees, the wristband itself would do the work.

- When the customer's time is up, the wristband (removable only at the front gate exit; can't be cut with hand tools) begins to play an annoying cover of the "Heigh Ho" song, so loudly that everyone within 20 feet can hear:

Heigh ho, heigh ho
            It's time for you to go
            You're running late
            Head for the gate
            Heigh ho, heigh ho...

- After ten minutes of continuous repetition, the music modulates up a key and picks up in tempo, the singers get more strident, and the volume gets louder:

Heigh ho, heigh ho
            We said it's time to go!
            Don't make us shout!
            Three strikes you're out!
            Heigh ho, heigh ho...

- After ten more minutes, the music turns discordant (think the shrieking strings from Psycho) and the singers sound like a chorus of demonic voices from The Exorcist. The volume dials up until you can hear it from the Hub to Town Square, and the wristband begins to flash.

Heigh ho! Heigh ho!
            We warned you, greedy schmoe!
            Leave Disneyland
            Or you'll get banned!
            Heigh ho! Heigh ho!

- After ten minutes, the generous 30-minute grace period that Disney grants every hourly customer ends. The wristband emits a piercing siren and flashes blindingly bright lights, while a harmless electric charge makes the customer's arm jerk like a chicken wing. At the same time, apps activate on the smart phones of all the other customers in the park, offering a free churro to the first 50 guests who upload a GPS-tagged photo of the cheater. The app alerts security, who swoop in and nail the miscreant.

Easy-peasy.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

ticket books? Seemed to work way back when.
              "These are a few of my favorite things"

sigpic

Comment

Because Disneyland is not a Brothel !!!

Comment

I like the idea of limited time in the park, but hourly might be difficult. Maybe entry after 4pm or so. I think Disney would rather have some type of pass that gives users a specific number of days to go to the park, depending on pass level. Also have a certain number of reservations based on pass level. What I hope goes away is the huge crowds that show up after 6pm each day with the old passholders that had no blockout dates. They would go and fill up all the restaurants and line queues so they can spend 2 hours in the park after work and post to social media. It ruined the day-guest experience.

Comment

I think an exclusive premium ticket experience is the pipe dream of the executives. There was even a rumored 5th park planned for WDW(Night Kingdom), that had an alleged cost of $300 per person. I fear if they charged by the hour, there would get rid of the Day ticket in the process. And I don't want Disneyland to copy EA's financial practices.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    Easy-peasy.
                    And unfortunately in this said dystopic future:

WOMAN to FRIEND: "Yes, we were at DISNEY this weekend! And we accidentally stayed too long! We were all the way back in Toon Town, and our wristbands suddenly were going off! We had to race back to the front! It was so crazy! Unfortunately, Grandma is in the hospital with a broken pelvis. Oh, she tripped and accidentally collided with Goofy by the castle! It even knocked poor Goofy into the moat. Yeah, it was so very crazy.....Do you want to see the official Disney Family photo of the incident? We got it through Photopass. What?! You don't know what PhotoPass is?! Let me tell you..."

Though, if they are going to use any version of Heigh Ho, they should just use the Tiki Room's version:

Comment

I don’t think Disneyland is looking to make a deal with its visitors in which they, Disney, receives less than the absolute max amount of money they can get from guests at the gate. If they thought it was profitable for guests to pay a thousand dollars for a day pass, they’d be charging it. Until Disney is running short on guests, things aren’t going to go in our favor, just because it makes more sense to us..

Comment

What are some examples of other services that allow for complete customization of their product by the customer?

Is there a baseball team that sells games by the inning or a restaurant that allows you to buy half of an entree?

Some pizzerias sells by the slice, but that seems more like a different model entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumperrrrr View Post
                          I don’t think Disneyland is looking to make a deal with its visitors in which they, Disney, receives less than the absolute max amount of money they can get from guests at the gate. If they thought it was profitable for guests to pay a thousand dollars for a day pass, they’d be charging it. Until Disney is running short on guests, things aren’t going to go in our favor, just because it makes more sense to us..
                          Spot on. As long as Disney's customers continue to vote Yes with their wallets to paying higher prices for a lower quality and quantity product, Disney will continue to increase profits by raising prices and lowering operating costs. Higher prices for tickets, food and merch; and an increase in the number of add-on charges and upsells. Less entertainment, shorter ride operating hours, fewer ride vehicles, fewer menu options, fewer employees, poorer customer service, and more customer-Do-It-Yourself smartphone apps.

That cycle will continue unless simultaneously Disney's attendance declines while their competitors' attendance does not -- which will send management a clear message that "it's not the pandemic, it's not the economy, it's you."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Ticket books, pay by the hour, it is all the same: any change that Disney makes to its ticket system would only necessarily result in the guest paying more than they currently do. If that's not part of it, they won't do it. Ever.

So, based on that, feel free to think up any hypothetical pricing system you would prefer them to implement that would cost you more money.

Comment

That cycle will continue unless simultaneously Disney's attendance declines while their competitors' attendance does not -- which will send management a clear message that "it's not the pandemic, it's not the economy, it's you."
                              This was happening pre-lockdown in 2019. All reports are seemingly saying the same thing is happening now.

Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                This was happening pre-lockdown in 2019. All reports are seemingly saying the same thing is happening now.
                                Yep. And if/when DLR begins losing customers to the competition, management will likely go through a period of blaming everything but their own policies before they address the problem. In the case of DCA 1.0, it took ten years of under-performance before Iger finally broke the de facto denial and admitted that they needed to rethink. The upgrade cost them over $1 billion -- which doesn't include the business they lost for a decade because they went cheap in the first place.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-17-2021, 11:04 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                - Bob Chapek

Comment

Yep. And if/when it finally becomes obvious that DLR is losing customers to the competition, management is likely to go through a period of blaming everything but their own policies. In the case of DCA 1.0, it took ten years of under-performance before Iger finally broke the de facto denial and admitted that they needed to rethink. The upgrade cost them over $1 billion -- which doesn't include the business they lost for a decade because they went cheap in the first place.
                                  IMO- Now they went back to CHEAP 2nd place
                                  DCA is a joke? ! as a Disney Park.......
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X