Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are reservations for park entrance here for good?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] are reservations for park entrance here for good?

Daughter and I will not be making a visit to Disneyland/DCA until the holidays...so, would you believe that the reservations system to enter Disneyland or DCA will be around by the holiday times, or it will stop at some point in the future...

After reading many posts, it almost seems like you need to make a reservation to use the bathrooms...hope that's not really the case...

So thank you for any bit of information...
    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

I think the reservations will stick around so they can plan for labor. They may have some openings for non-reservation visits, but they might limit the quantity or something. Josh D'Amaro has been making the rounds of different news sites, talking up the park pass system.

Disneyland reveals which COVID-era changes will stay, which will go

Comment

I think the reservation system will stay for as long as they can keep it. It actually is the one change I see as beneficial to both DLR as well as "most" guests. Every thing else they are trying to pull is sacrificing guest value and experience to hit a target number that will benefit upper management and shareholders while hurting the future of the parks as a whole.

As far a food reservations and VQ'a the public has spoken and no matter what the corp. spinsters say in the press the public is not happy so these may be removed as the word on the street becomes more and more negative.

Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Magic Mountain dropped their reservation requirement on June 15th. How much further behind can Knott's and Universal be? I know Disney thinks they're different somehow, but once all the other parks are reservation-free how long can they maintain them?

Comment

I used to think they would drop it when most dates for reservations remain available for a long period of time. But now that a AP Membership program is to be announced, I have a feeling it will require reservations also, so they would most likely keep the regular reservations for a bit after that to see how it goes. They could then open up reservations slots for each type based on availability.

Waiting for Knotts to get rid of theirs. I usually like to go there on a moment's notice and not plan far ahead.

Comment

Reservation system will stay for all new pass holders, but I bet they allow full price walk up ticket sales.
            "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

While capacity limits will eventually return to normal, industry wide there is a push and sentiment to retrain guest behavior and keep the reservation system. it allows the operators to anticipate guests volume and staff appropriately which is one of the biggest headaches when people are allowed to just show up on a whim.

…which after a few days in the park and seeing the dynamics of no APs clogging up the parks mid day I am all for!

Comment

For now, yes, but I can see them removing reservations and only implementing them during the busy seasons (summer, spring break, halloween, thanksgiving week, and the last 2 1/2 weeks of December). The reason I don't see them keeping the reservations for the slow seasons is that those are the times they don't tend to reach 75% capacity, so they can have more freedom with those times of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                  Daughter and I will not be making a visit to Disneyland/DCA until the holidays...so, would you believe that the reservations system to enter Disneyland or DCA will be around by the holiday times, or it will stop at some point in the future...
                  I think the reservation system will be a permanent part of DLR's business model. Its advantages to Disney's budget-cutting, and thus to their profits, are too large for them to give up.

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post
                  For now, yes, but I can see them removing reservations and only implementing them during the busy seasons (summer, spring break, halloween, thanksgiving week, and the last 2 1/2 weeks of December). The reason I don't see them keeping the reservations for the slow seasons is that those are the times they don't tend to reach 75% capacity, so they can have more freedom with those times of the year.
                  That's even more reason for them to keep the reservation system going. When they see reservations for future dates dipping, they can ramp up advertising, discounting and "special events" to make the product more attractive.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I think the reservation system will be a permanent part of DLR's business model. Its advantages to Disney's budget-cutting, and thus to their profits, are too large for them to give up.

When they see reservations for future dates dipping, they can ramp up advertising, discounting and "special events" to make the product more attractive.
                    I AGREE......Reservation system will be a permanent part of DLR's business !
                    IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

When things get fully back to normal, and it's clear to Wall Street that Disneyland is pulling in far less profits than before the pandemic, TDA will drop this reservation system like a bad habit. At that point you will see the AP program come back in force with ads on every bus, radio station and TV station in the state of California begging people to back to Disneyland and buy an AP.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouguy View Post
                        you need to make a reservation to use the bathrooms...hope that's not really the case...
                        If that become a case, there be lots of Issue

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                          When things get fully back to normal, and it's clear to Wall Street that Disneyland is pulling in far less profits than before the pandemic, TDA will drop this reservation system like a bad habit. At that point you will see the AP program come back in force with ads on every bus, radio station and TV station in the state of California begging people to back to Disneyland and buy an AP.
                          Having seen too many days where the parks collapsed into a complete state of chaos because unexpected demand (i.e. Impulse visits by APs) far outmatched the forecast they staffed from - it is clear that the reservation system is needed. I do think that it will evolve over time, probably even allowing for same day reservations if they're not at capacity. But if they have staffed the park for 25K guests on a random Tuesday - they've got a way to stop 60,000 from showing up unexpectedly and swamping every aspect of park operations. There is a value in keeping this in place.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            I agree that if profits dropped they would have to do something. The issue is that profits have not dropped since they reopened. They are making more money per guest, with much lower operating costs, than they have in decades.

The Disneyland park reservation system runs in real time. If you don't believe me, just watch it for a few minutes. Switch between 1 day and park hopper, and then change from June to July a couple of times. You will see it change nearly every minute. If Disneyland wanted to increase capacity they could do so immediately now that restrictions have lifted, but if you look at wait times you will see that any increase they make isn't affecting wait times. In fact, wait times right now are as low as they have been for any summer in the past 15 years. This means that even though they could increase capacity, they are not.

I know it's easy to think that Disneyland isn't making money right now, but that's just not true. The AP system is not needed. What's needed are guests who pay full price and spend the entire day at the park (eating two or three meals plus snacks), and that is exactly what is happening right now.

During the slow season, and there will be a slow season - eventually, Disneyland will offer discounted tickets to SoCal residents. That's how they will fill the parks. We know that some version of a membership program is on the way, but any type of membership that offers anything similar to the old AP system is going to cost at least twice as much as the old Signature + pass. There are signs this is true. When you look at the statements being made by management you will see they refer to the new membership program as being for "superfans". Translation, people who want to go often and spend a crazy amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                              As far a food reservations and VQ's the public has spoken and no matter what the corp. spinsters say in the press the public is not happy so these may be removed as the word on the street becomes more and more negative.
                              Mobile ordering, park reservations, and VQ are solely for the benefit of Disney and barely, if at all, for the guest's benefit. Park reservations require planning, killing any spontaneity, which for some guest might be a benefit. Mobile ordering, as it stands right now, also requires planning that day to work and with unknown ride line lengths you might missed your pre-planned arrival window. VQ's are absolutely horrible from a guest perspective - you don't know if you will get one, and you don't know when (or even if) your boarding group will come up.

Comment

We just went to Knott's yesterday. They require reservations for entry not a big deal as we had them. Once in the park no reservations were needed it was excellent, lines were short ( minus Log Ride and Berry tales ) and so we felt little pressure if any to plan things. I only took my phone out once to take a family photo. the rest of the day it stayed in my pocket where it belonged. The biggest miracle was because everything was so new to our family having been AP'er and not been to Knott's for years even my teen daughters kept their phones tucked away and minus answering texts were in the moment the whole day. All the food locations served something different so the selection was insane and nowhere did we see a line larger then maybe 5-8 people. We did have a reservation for Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant but there were guests able to wait without reservation and their wait timeshare not more than your average restaurant. Disney needs to step back from their attempts at replacing CM's with Apps or they will soon start to see their competition begin to gain on them in huge chunks.

Comment

Reservations will be around forever - even for APs.

Why? It allows Disney to minimally staff the parks, which will return more money to their shareholders. It also would allow for tiered pricing in ways they haven't tested yet. Right now, prices are fixed for a given day, but I could see them raising the price of a ticket as a day starts to fill up.

Guests staying at DLR hotels, would have guaranteed reservations, so they'd make affordances for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ClownLoach View Post

Having seen too many days where the parks collapsed into a complete state of chaos because unexpected demand (i.e. Impulse visits by APs) far outmatched the forecast they staffed from - it is clear that the reservation system is needed. I do think that it will evolve over time, probably even allowing for same day reservations if they're not at capacity. But if they have staffed the park for 25K guests on a random Tuesday - they've got a way to stop 60,000 from showing up unexpectedly and swamping every aspect of park operations. There is a value in keeping this in place.
                                    The AP program was not a guaranteed entry pass. Disney always had the ability to close the gates if they needed to. I will admit that it probably would result in upset guests that travelled there only to be turned away. It's a tough balance - perhaps they staffed for 25,000 but that day really had a 60,000 demand because of various reasons. Well, Disney just robbed themselves of 35,000 tickets they could have sold. Why should the public pay for Disney's poor staffing planning by not being able to go when they can fit it into their schedules and having to plan too far in advance. Not everyone has a steady M-F job and many often don't know which days they will be working until the week before.

It just seems like Disney is floundering trying to decide what to do about everything and even if things needed to be changed at all. Such as the announcement that Loki will be wearing the costume of the week's show. Who does that benefit? Only those that can visit weekly!!!! But hey - we removed passes so those people can't visit weekly. If you are a once a year or less visitor would you even care?

Comment

I for one love this reservation system. I hope they keep it forever. I was there this past weekend and I was able to go on all the rides/attractions. Some even twice. ON A SATURDAY! No over crowded theme park. Parking was a breeze. Had enough room to walk where I didn't have to worry about getting ran over by a stroller. The Mobile Ordering system on the other hand has gots to go

Comment

I have always been fine with having to reserve an entry date as long as you can multiple reservations because some people like to go 2-3 days in a row etc. I do not see much of a issue having people pre-book their visit as most will now weeks ahead of time when they will want to go. I feel for those people who would decide to go last minute ( we have only done this once in the last 7 years) but I can see how others have less hectic lives requiring less planning.

I think the park reservations are likely the least issue people seem to be having. Park reservations are being done by all SoCal parks it seems and this may be something that we see stick around for quite a while.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X