X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Annual Pass/Membership Program Speculation

Three questions:
    1. What do you think the new DL/DCA annual pass program will look like?
    2. What do you want the new DL/DCA annual pass program to look like?
    3. What don't you want the new AP program to look like?

I'll go:
    1. Similar to the flex pass, but with multiple tiers
      • Each tier requires reservations
      • Each tier has a limit on the total number of reservations allowed at a time
      • Lowest tier can make reservations on the smallest subset of days, while the highest tier can make reservations on any day.
      • Free parking for higher tiers
      • Discounts on merch/food like before
    2. Just like their old program (i.e. no reservations), but with no monthly payment plan.
    3. Loyalty program operating on a points-based system that can be used towards food, merch, and tickets ... similar to a restaurant or airline.

I do feel like there will be multiple tiers like before, with some being similar to the old aps, though more expensive (since yeah, those were still guaranteed money, and Disney won't know how the attendance rate and overall revenue will be within the next year once people have gotten the ability to return to Disneyland out of their system and the magic of Avengers Campus subsides). I do see an all access pass similar to the most expensive pass at around $500 more than it was before, where people have unlimited access, either the same or slightly cheaper discounts, and free parking. The next tier will probably be similar to the previous one, though with less available days overall for around $200 more. Then if they have only 1 more available, it'll most likely only allow half the year during the slow season. With reservations, we'll have to wait and see if those become permanent or if people get fed up that it becomes too much of a hassle for the parks if they get too many people complaining about it who want to show up without signing up (and it's going to happen, especially as the other theme and amusement parks remove their reservation system).

Comment

I think what ever they do we will eventually have something similar to the old AP's because the facts are they could have done away with AP's as they were at any time in the past and didn't and though one time they tried they quickly reverted. This tells us the AP's were actually needed in a normal none transitionary world. Entrance reservations may be something required for good and I am willing to accept that I see how that can allow the parks to run efficiently. The VQ's and mobile ordering I feel are an over step and not beneficial at all to the guests and will be a point of contention until they are removed. What I think DLR is doing is they are milking the situation in tiers to get as much yield as they can before things settle back to "normal".

Step 1. First kill AP's make people think their only option is full price, run this as long as they can and reduce value elsewhere to maximize profits.

Step 2. Keep attendance low as well as staffing under the guise of Covid and exploration of new options, the real story is if they opened the park full wide and with all attractions staffed the parks would expose that demand is not as hot as they want the public to think.

Step 3. Release an Affinity Program that costs a fortune to get the wealthy customers back that require some value they will pay through the nose for some type of discount with the thought that it's as good a deal as they are going to get. Then start hiring staff back in larger volume to help deal with the increase in guests that may or may not happen as these bigger spenders return.

Step 4. After a period where those that are desperate to return and wealthier guests get their fix and crowds start to drop again (and they will, people haven't changed just the demand temporarily) Then we get the real Affinity Program the one that will bring back a large chunk of the previous AP's Just in time before they write off DLR completely. This is the moment real crowds will return and the parks will be back on track and see sustainable record profits.

If Disney knew the end goal was for the everyone pay full price then there would never be a hint of anything else. The hints are growing as each day passes.
      Last edited by Starcade; 06-22-2021, 07:39 AM. Reason: Typos galore.
      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I expect a buy one churro, get one 25% off.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
          I expect a buy one churro, get one 25% off.
          I guess if I want a churro...I get it at Knott's or DEL TACO- LL
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Reservation only visits, even if it's 24-hrs in advance. No parking for everything but the highest tier. No entry after 4pm for everything but the highest tier. Parkhopping is now an add-on, either for every visit or one-offs as needed. And instead of just the MaxPass/Photopass add-ons, the merchandise and food discounts are now optional in the form of add-ons too.

Oh, and price increases so high you'll need to visit at least 12 times a year to "breakeven" on admission prices alone. And that's with your blockout days in effect.

The major question I'm still on the fence about is whether they do annual passes and scrap monthly payments, or do monthly memberships and just raise the prices. Either way, that will be the biggest change I think we'll see, but I'm fairly confident it will be one or the other.

Comment

I think it's possible that all APs will be strictly on a reservation basis with the more expensive passes having more reservations available to them per year. I think the 'drop in anytime' AP is gone to Yesterland. Most of us 'regular folks' plan our visits ahead of time, so this would put us all on a more even keel. It would also allow TDA to somewhat track attendance and allocate staffing.

As far as 'extras', who knows? They'd be wise if they did away with the parking add on as having to pay $25 a pop on top of the price of the pass could also be a deterrent to 'overly frequent' visits.
              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I would like to see $50 (after 5pm) twilight tickets. Disney can use them to keep the park at their preferred capacity into the evening. Maybe even a twilight annual loyalty program with blackouts for $500 .

Comment

Originally posted by iAMiRONMAN View Post
                  I would like to see $50 (after 5pm) twilight tickets. Disney can use them to keep the park at their preferred capacity into the evening. Maybe even a twilight annual loyalty program with blackouts for $500 .
                  That would be cool, but $50 is too cheap. Didn't they charge a little over $100 for the Disney After Dark events? Those started around 8pm and went til like 1am, so roughly 5 hours for that pricepoint.

Comment

Originally posted by LOST View Post

That would be cool, but $50 is too cheap. Didn't they charge a little over $100 for the Disney After Dark events? Those started around 8pm and went til like 1am, so roughly 5 hours for that pricepoint.
                    Yeah, it was about that range. Although when I went to the first one, all the rides were a walk on. So maybe Disneyland will tolerate more crowds at a lower price? Who knows. I'm not great with predictions.

Comment

My prediction is that history will repeat itself -- in this case, the 35-year history of Disney management's determination to use every sales and marketing technique known to humankind to accomplish three inseparable goals:

1. Maximize the number of dollars each customer spends.
                      2. Maximize the number of customers in the park.
                      3. Minimize all expenditures.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Another thing I now see coming that would be a surprise to many but I am thinking more and more it is likely is that the Affinity/Membership Program (AP) will not only be on a monthly payment but it will ONLY be on a monthly payment as it will be more like a subscription rather than an annual commitment. "ANNUAL" Passes will truly be gone because they are no longer based on a year not because there is not an AP. I think this because I feel that current consumers are more likely to sign up to monthly spend and let it run for as long as they can afford it rather the the fear of an annual commitment. They may require you pay the first and last month in advance or require an initial 3 month commitment or make the first visit extra expensive. Also likely once you decline the membership there would be a period where you are locked out ( maybe 12 months) before you can resign up to prevent people from signing up for a month or two every year rather than maintaining a monthly commitment.

This does several things:
                        - Brings in a large influx of guests
                        - Makes the commitment much less intimidating.
                        - Prevents people from signing up for one month and then going a handful of times and then stopping for a year etc.
                        - Allows DLR to slowly creep up the cost month to month if they want making it easier to increase price without sticker shock
                        - Allows them to adjust benefits of the pass on a monthly basis to make it more compelling or more profitable
                        - DLR could during anytime suspend new signups and label them as sold out if they feel they are hitting a point of overcrowding. they could do this periodically to put some urgency in the public minds to sign up when available. (Knotts does this with their Unlimited Drink cup program)

- Allows them infinite promotional opportunities like waiving the initial buy-in through other promotional channels or discount it to Disney+ subscribers etc.
                        - Lower peoples monthly payment while still charging more than before over the first year.
                        - By front loading the membership they will make people hesitant to stop as they would fear the initial fee enough to keep the membership going as long as they can afford to keep their monthly minimal. Somebody that might have had 2 years of an AP but stopped going because they were unsure if they could commit to a third year will likely go a decade or more as their fear of long term commitment is now less of a burden then the monthly payment to a park they rarely visit. (think how big an issue it is that so many folks have subscriptions to various things they no longer use.)
                        - Allows families the ability to add or decline certain family members at random with little penalty( kids off to college, Grandma get too old to go, Child turns 3 4 month after the rest of the family has signed up. etc, etc. I know several families that delayed getting AP's as much as a year so they would all be synced on the same timeline.

These "Memberships" would have a base charge with up-charges for things like:
                        - Parking
                        - FP+/MP+
                        - Priority Restaurant reservations
                        - Multiple reservations simultaneously

I see pricing somewhere in the ball park of this:
                        For the base no add on Affinity Program - initial payment $350 then a monthly payment of $80 after that per person.(total spend on pass for first year $1,230) Second year total spend = $960 (for the average family of four would only be $320 monthly which is cheaper than a family of fours Signature+ passes prior)

Most customers after the initial buy in would feel like they are getting a better deal than before even though they are spending more. DLR would see this as a win win. If you kept your membership for say 5+ years you may hit that delta where your paying less over that time but it may then flip back to paying more depending on the creep up in price over period of time.

This would also make every comment that the executive spin machine has been putting out true.
                        Last edited by Starcade; 06-24-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

My guess is two tiers, both flex-style, one of which is closer to the old SoCal pass and one of which is high end, like the Signature.

I don’t think either will include parking. Upper tier will include MaxPass and have higher purchase discounts.

And I think monthly payments go bye bye. If the actual poll here at Mice Chat is any indication, that probably cuts the number of people enough to be reasonable and causes enough people to go with the lower tier.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                            Another thing I now see coming that would be a surprise to many but I am thinking more and more it is likely is that the Affinity/Membership Program (AP) will not only be on a monthly payment but it will ONLY be on a monthly payment as it will be more like a subscription rather than an annual commitment.
                            I hadn't considered this, but I think you're 100% right. Subscription models are en vogue right now - and for a good reason. A $1200/yr pass seems frightening, but $100/month sounds like another utility bill.

Comment

If Disney+ has shown the company anything, it's that they should NEVER underestimate people's likelihood to agree to pay something, and then never end the service. The more I think about it, the more I'm almost certain we will see SOME kind of bare bones, low monthly payments return (but probably with no discounts, parking, weekends, etc) that simply acts as a way to get people to pay $25-50 a month, not even notice it among petrol payments, and then not even show up to the parks because they can't find time to justify a full days parking during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post

I hadn't considered this, but I think you're 100% right. Subscription models are en vogue right now - and for a good reason. A $1200/yr pass seems frightening, but $100/month sounds like another utility bill.
                                The time-value of money is my favorite concept, and subscription models just make it more apparent how good of a concept it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                                  Another thing I now see coming that would be a surprise to many but I am thinking more and more it is likely is that the Affinity/Membership Program (AP) will not only be on a monthly payment but it will ONLY be on a monthly payment as it will be more like a subscription rather than an annual commitment.
                                  My God, I think you've solved it right here.... if this isn't exactly right then it is, at minimum, very convincing.

Comment

Guys we're giving them way too many good ideas. We gotta stop before they see this thread lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kjhorton25 View Post
                                      Guys we're giving them way too many good ideas. We gotta stop before they see this thread lol.
                                      lol! As I was laying out my idea I had just this same thought but I don't think they really care what is said on this or any other forum as if they did they would have the parks running much more smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I guess if I want a churro...I get it at Knott's or DEL TACO- LL
                                        But...it's part of the new pass. You're just leaving money on the table.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X