Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Disney entertain the idea of creating Disney Sea in Long Beach again

Should Disney entertain the idea of creating DisneySea in Long Beach again?

The company that managed the Queen Mary for decades went bankrupt and is 1/2 billion dollars in debt. The Queen Mary needs a few million dollars worth of emergency repairs and likely another hundred million dollars or more to bring up to required safety standards and add modern amenities that guests require.

“Disney assumed control of the ship in 1988, when it bought the Wrather Corporation to get the Disneyland Hotel, which Jack Wrather - a friend of Walt Disney - had built and owned. Wrather's Queen Mary lease came along in the deal.. The Disneyland Resort was working on plans for a second gate at the time, and Walt Disney Imagineering worked up plans for a Port Disney development around the Queen Mary, including a theme park called DisneySea, which would become the second gate to the original Disneyland.” https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flu...TqWuxp6wyTd0UI

I think the ship for Disney Sea Long Beach sailed long ago. There no turning back on the idea. I think the business around the area would be more vocal while the city council and majority of the citizens would still feel the same with an big fat no.

Comment

^ What DLR92 said. Decades of history have proved that the Queen Mary is a white elephant that needs constant infusions of money to survive. It's a no-go for any company, and especially for one that owns a popular cruise line.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

I really hope someone would be able to refurbish the Queen Mary. It an relic ship containing so much history.

Comment

I think the idea would get shut down on environment factors alone. From Disney having to dredge & drill the bay to concerns over Disney destroying Marine Life in the process. There is the fact that Disney would have to Tsunami/Wave proof the bay. And erosion from the water would be another concern.

And finally, Disney wouldn't have much room to expand in the future. Disney already made that past mistake, when they built Disneyland Hong Kong.

If anything, I could see Disney building a permanent terminal in LA for their West Coast Cruises.

Comment

I think the Queen Mary had some novel interest with people decades ago, but I don't think much appeal anymore. It really is a hulking mess at this point. Expensive to maintain, and expensive to operate (AC. water, etc). If it can't be donated to some non profit group as a maritime museum, then it would serve her memory well to be towed out to sea and turned into reef for fish to live in.

I don't think it could even be towed back to the UK for any reasonable amount of money where it would make a museum of much more interest to the Brits. But if it could somehow be berthed alongside some other maritime museum ship, it might benefit from that. As a hotel the place has always been LOUSY. As a convention/event center it has been okay. Maybe if it was operated without any hotel expectations, and more restaurants and shops, that might make a difference. But I think that ship has sailed.

Comment

Like the Spruce Goose before it the Queen Mary is simply waiting for her fate either at another location or in Davy Jones locker. The location of the current Queen Mary once the ship is cleared could serve well as a port for the Disney Cruise lines. Carnival currently uses the old Spruce Goose Building for their Cruise ships. Turning it into a theme park I think would be too costly as a port area the land is too valuable for a theme park and the place is very limited with no option to increase or expand plus nobody wants to drag their family down to the docks to deal with the industrial atmosphere and tight quarters. I work for a company that is in Seal Beach and when I used to have to go into the office I would take lunch time drives up to the area and there is a lot of shady areas that you need to drive through and so it is not very welcoming for a theme park. Having a Disney Sea in CA is simply not feasible with land being so valuable. Florida or Texas may be a better option if Disney is desperate for an ocean based them park in the US.
              Last edited by Starcade; 06-23-2021, 04:09 PM.
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I don't see a Disney Sea in the future in the U.S., which at this point is probably a good thing, because I'm sure it would lose money (I mean, imagine an entire theme park put together by the people responsible for Marvel Corner and Pixar Pier) and the cost of that would be felt across the board.

Comment

I'm glad Disney ultimately decided to build its second gate next to Disneyland rather than Long Beach; it's just so covenant to get from one park to the other that way. Yet whenever I walk along the beach in the area, I do always take a second to ponder what could have been, and inevitably question whether it would have been superior to California Adventure. We'll never know.

I'm not sure if modern corporate Disney would be interested in an educational/marine life park nowadays. I would personally love the concept, but it seems so different than the kind of content they put in their parks lately.
                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

Yes, the environmental concerns from Coastal Commission alone sealed the deal to abandon the idea for Long Beach. Anaheim interest for a second park made Disney see it Anaheim property a worthy sense to continue on future expansions there.

I don’t know how does Florida feels about landfill, but I still imagined Disney not having interest to focus another stand alone resort in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                      I really hope someone would be able to refurbish the Queen Mary. It an relic ship containing so much history.
                      I would to....But not from Disney !
                      imo
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                        I think the ship for Disney Sea Long Beach sailed long ago. There no turning back on the idea. I think the business around the area would be more vocal while the city council and majority of the citizens would still feel the same with an big fat no.
                        BINGO
                        Most of the People in Long Beach, do not want Disney in there city-as Theme Park/resort goes
                        But another Issue is the California Coastal Commission
                        and Disney is not going work with them imo
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The Queen has a lot of nice interior architectural features, all which could be stripped out and then reused in a museum or some other venue, but not as part of a the giant ship.

These ship have lifespan, and this one is well past it. Unfortunately they are now best cut up for scrap or used to create fish habitat / reef. Spending any more money on this ship is a a bad idea.

Comment

Disney should create a line of cruise ships that are painted even more like the Queen Mary. There something special about that white, black, and red color scheme. Maybe some added retro styling theme for a ship that would be parked at the Queen Mary’s spot. The QM is 1019ft long.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by iAMiRONMAN; 06-23-2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

If Disney were ever to build a third gate and were forced to built it away from the current two it ought to be a draw like DisneySea would be. I do think the park would turn a profit and even if it split the difference Disney has such a large consumer and annual pass base part of me thinks of it as just extra capacity but bleh it's not really a fantasy worth debating.

The proverbial and I suppose literal ship as sailed on this opportunity. It was doubtful this would have worked when Disney had the property but it's even less likely now. I do find it kinda funny that some groups looking to preserve the ship have realized the hotel setup is insufficient and they need a greater draw to actually pull people into the area.

I guess I've never romanticized these things but it feels like the city has wasted alot of money trying to get this setup to work and it feels so artificial. Letting the ship go would be admitting how they couldn't make it work but it's only going to get more expensive from here and every year of insufficient action is just that much more work the ship would need to be restored. I mean to my knowledge it's even questionable if the ship would keep itself together to be towed anywhere.

But yeah in a dream world I'd totally take a Disney park on Longbeach.
                              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

I think a Disney Resort and Hotel for people to stay at the night before they can board could be a good idea. Especially if there were a small amount of attractions and entertainment designed for single day guests.

40 years ago there were not as many cruise ship options as there is now. Having a stationary old ship was a nice novelty back then, but now people actually want to depart on real adventures.

Comment

Long Beach might be desperate for some Corporation with deep pockets to come save them for their ‘Port’ predicament.

“Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines has been operating in Long Beach since 2003. It has exclusive rights to the local terminal via a lease with the Port of Long Beach on the water side, while on the land side, the city operates a master lease for the area that includes the Queen Mary, the parking lots and the dome, Keisler said. Carnival also pays passenger fees — about $2.15 per person — which help offset the city’s costs related to improvements and repairs on the Queen Mary and the surrounding area.

“Basically that $2.15 is paid every time the passenger boards or exits the ship,” he said, adding that missing revenue from trips that were never realized in 2020 can add up “pretty quickly to be over $3 million. … (Carnival does not) owe us anything if they don’t collect the passenger fees, but that does become a financial hardship (for the city).”- https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2...-out-pandemic/

Comment

Also Disney or another Hotel Chain could build a giant hotel and make it look like the Queen May. Remove real historic pieces from QM and repurpose them for design elements in new hotel.

The average US hotel cost $30 million to build and the most lavish ones typically peak at $60 million to construct.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by iAMiRONMAN; 06-24-2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                                      BINGO
                                      Most of the People in Long Beach, do not want Disney in there city-as Theme Park/resort goes...
                                      Yep. Even though it was years ago, the bitter memory in Long Beach about how they were wooed then dumped by Disney hasn't completely faded.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Living near the SoCal coast all my life and spending lots of time around the SoCal Beaches every weekend. I can promise you that residents along the coast would prefer a Disney Theme-park, Disney Cruise-lines, and everything that goes with it over the grotesque Chinese Cargo ships that litter our shores and create unwanted pollution in the area and ruin the view. Im not saying remove all shipping logistics, but lets push out the Chinese cargo ship waiting ‘que’ further offshore and bring in beautiful cruise lines and wonderful entertainment facilities to look at instead.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X