Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are free fast passes dead? POLL

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are free fast passes dead? POLL

    I can see Chapek getting rid of fast passes just because he hates giving anything away and replacing it with only a paid max pass. But I can also see him being concerned with huge amounts of people standing in line for hours unable to spend any money for an extended amount of time. What do you think?
    25
    Fast pass is gone, replaced with max pass $$
    68.00%
    17
    Free fast pass will be back soon.
    12.00%
    3
    No passes whatsoever will return
    8.00%
    2
    Everything will return to normal soon ;)
    12.00%
    3

    The poll is expired.


  • #2
    I'd give it a 55% fast passes don't come back. I was originally going to put "fast pass will be back soon", but the idea of charging thousands of people for what used to be a free service must be too tempting for Disney to not at least try out the experiment for a bit longer. I've been concerned about this since Maxpass was introduced.
    Brian the Pooh

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd bet on the first option, primarily because an upcharge pass would create an accountable profit stream attributable to the current management. These guys are unlikely to say No to any profit stream that they can take credit for.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

      - Walt Disney

      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

      "It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

      Comment


      • #4
        As someone who can visit only once a year for a couple of days, putting fast passes behind a paywall would be a deal breaker for me. Fast pass has been the only thing that has guaranteed me to get my money's worth for the admission price itself, and there's no way I'm going to pay more for that, especially on top of higher admission prices.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think FP and MaxPass will come back. Why?
          • FP for all will keep guests out of attraction lines and into shops/restaurants = $$
          • Modern FP is a cheap system to maintain because of the virtual tickets
          • MaxPass will be a nice option to still have for the guests who want to upgrade things
          At a minimum, MaxPass is coming back, but I think the death of FastPass would results in most guests spending more time in lines and less time in shops/restaurants.

          Comment


          • #6
            I see management reducing the value free fast passes gradually -- so you can't get as many as you used to, and maybe not to as many attractions -- to the test the waters and see how people would react to being pushed into Maxpass. I don't think they would yank them away all at once, they're too risk averse.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think they may start off with MaxPass only and see how it goes. If they don't get enough 'takers' then they'll bring back free FP.

              If they don't reinstate MP, I think they'll use that 'system' and allocate the majority of FPs to be app based, rather than at a kiosk.

              With park reservations, they might consider that it might also be a good time to start up a FP+ reservation system. I hope they don't, but I can see them pushing it as 'make a park reservation and guarantee you'll ride your favorite ride with a 'matching' FP+!!!".



              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

              Comment


              • #8
                For what it's worth, in my view free fast passes already died when the released MaxPass. I say this as someone who used them religiously, and occasionally would use MaxPass and Single Rider lines.

                Why are free fast passes dead? Well the second they introduced MaxPass, they had to increase the number of fast passes available to accommodate demand. It's no fun when you pay an upcharge and then all the passes are gone by 9:00am like they're a Rise of the Resistance boarding group. So they increased the number of fastpasses available, which made all the lines longer. More people were in the fastpass line, and that meant ride operators had to take more fastpass guests than standby guests, making the standby waits longer.

                The net effect was just a worse experience. You could hold more than one fastpass at a time with MaxPass, but oftentimes rides would still have waits of 20 minutes or more just because there were so many in the fastpass line itself. That killed the free fastpass as we knew it then and there, in my opinion.

                Is it ever coming back? Definitely not how it was before, and probably not ever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                  As someone who can visit only once a year for a couple of days, putting fast passes behind a paywall would be a deal breaker for me. Fast pass has been the only thing that has guaranteed me to get my money's worth for the admission price itself, and there's no way I'm going to pay more for that, especially on top of higher admission prices.
                  If they go through with MaxPass only, consider yourself priced out of Disneyland. Which isn't to say that you can't afford it, but rather that it is simply not worth the value it used to be.

                  Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post
                  I think FP and MaxPass will come back. Why?
                  • FP for all will keep guests out of attraction lines and into shops/restaurants = $$
                  • Modern FP is a cheap system to maintain because of the virtual tickets
                  • MaxPass will be a nice option to still have for the guests who want to upgrade things
                  At a minimum, MaxPass is coming back, but I think the death of FastPass would results in most guests spending more time in lines and less time in shops/restaurants.
                  The original fastpass goal was to speed up lines, since Disneyland always had the negative perception of having too long of wait for things. The more time in the park was always an added bonus, but there's a trade off. Will people spend more time shopping/eating, or more time trying to just go on other rides? I don't know the answer to that, but I'd bet they're studying it right now to see what the effect of no fastpass is on the ancillary sales.

                  Of course, the flipside is that Disney can always just raise prices of admission/MaxPass to make up for the drop in revenue from merchandise/restaurant spending. Finding that sweet spot is business school 101, and I'm sure they're working whatever angles they can to get to higher profits. Then they can rely on the app for MaxPass and repurpose the old fastpass machines to be merchandise spaces (like they're already doing outside Astro Blasters).

                  Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                  I see management reducing the value free fast passes gradually -- so you can't get as many as you used to, and maybe not to as many attractions -- to the test the waters and see how people would react to being pushed into Maxpass. I don't think they would yank them away all at once, they're too risk averse.
                  I mean they already yanked away everyone's APs and have shut fastpass down for the foreseeable future. When it comes to making money hand over fist, nothing is off the table.

                  Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                  I think they may start off with MaxPass only and see how it goes. If they don't get enough 'takers' then they'll bring back free FP.

                  If they don't reinstate MP, I think they'll use that 'system' and allocate the majority of FPs to be app based, rather than at a kiosk.

                  With park reservations, they might consider that it might also be a good time to start up a FP+ reservation system. I hope they don't, but I can see them pushing it as 'make a park reservation and guarantee you'll ride your favorite ride with a 'matching' FP+!!!".
                  I think you're on the money. The system I envision is this: no fastpass for the foreseeable future and rely on higher admission prices to keep crowds thin and lines short. as it stands right now, waits are super short even on a weekend in the summer, because they aren't prioritizing fastpass riders anymore. Then, if capacity inches up and lines get long, activate the MaxPass option for the day for a $30 upcharge or something.

                  If that system fails, I think it would also take a sharp decline in merchandise spending for them to bring back free fastpasses. And even then, they might restrict those so that APs can't use them or something. That is, if APs ever return in some form.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Slightly off-topic, but were the Fastpass machines returned to GOTG: MB?

                    For me, that was the sign that free Fastpasses at DLR might be on their last leg.
                    Last edited by Captain Andy; 06-23-2021, 02:21 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                      Slightly off-topic, but were the Fastpass machines returned to GOTG: MB?

                      For me, that was a sign that free Fastpasses at DLR might be on their last leg.
                      Not sure, but I don't think that's a reliable indicator b/c they may just go to the electronic system that they had in Tomorrowland pre-pandemic.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post

                        Not sure, but I don't think that's a reliable indicator b/c they may just go to the electronic system that they had in Tomorrowland pre-pandemic.
                        True. However, I think the Tomorrowland kiosk can be used for anything. I know it's very skeptical (and pessimistic) of me to think this way, but once certain amenities are only accessible through the Disneyland App, it makes it easier for the park to instill an upcharge of sorts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I so annoyed as a out towner tourist, to spend $$$$ for admissions, food, lodging and than to spend more money on fast pass…rip off and tacky.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Never been a big FAN to FAST PASS/MAX PASS
                            for I knew there was going be Issue ,in the future
                            Well the future is here......and it gotten Worst IMO
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                              I so annoyed as a out towner tourist, to spend $$$$ for admissions, food, lodging and than to spend more money on fast pass…rip off and tacky.
                              That is a legitimate point. The Disney of my youth was above the nickel and dime mentality of most theme parks in America. But today they are leading the way on how to maximize/squeeze their customers of profits. All of the good will and image they have carefully crafted over the decades will likely not last under current management.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post
                                As someone who can visit only once a year for a couple of days, putting fast passes behind a paywall would be a deal breaker for me. Fast pass has been the only thing that has guaranteed me to get my money's worth for the admission price itself, and there's no way I'm going to pay more for that, especially on top of higher admission prices.
                                I kind of have the opposite view. Our family can only visit once a year for a few days, which makes it even more likely we will pay the upcharge for Fast Pass in order to maximize our visit. If we're already paying thousands for a DLR long weekend, which we are blessed to be able to do, it isn't going to be that much more painful to add an extra few hundred for this.
                                Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

                                Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I see an FP system that is integrated as an up-charge into your reservation like most of the other parks are doing. They will likely call it FP+ or MP+ to add some "synergy" to the rest of the modern branding.

                                  Free FP's will likely be yesterlanded as like others have said why would chapek give away anything for free that he can charge for.
                                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Gosh. As someone who only visits once every 3 or 4 years I loved the maxpass system. It was a godsend for getting through the most rides is a 2 day whirlwind trip we did before catching a cruise. I'm hoping it is an option.
                                    Last edited by Tntbailey; 07-02-2021, 11:09 AM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Tntbailey View Post
                                      Gosh. As someone who only visits once every 3 or years I loved the maxpass system. It was a godsend for getting through the most rides is a 2 day whirlwind trip we did before catching a cruise. I'm hoping it is an option.
                                      If you would have asked me my opinion of Max Pass a few months ago my reply would have been similar.

                                      Since we live out of state and only visit the Park once every year or two, we always added Max Pass. We viewed it as “attraction insurance.”

                                      It was annoying to have to shell out a few hundred more bucks (family of 6 going for 5 days), but we viewed it as necessary to improve the quality of our visit, so we budgeted for the added expense.

                                      Last month we visited the Lagoon Amusement Park in Utah. I understand that it’s not comparing apples to apples, but it’s a decently sized park and was decently busy. There are no fast passes or express passes at Lagoon. If you want to ride something, you get in line with everybody else, period.

                                      And, honestly, it was awesome! We moved through the park geographically, section by section and never waited in a line for more than 35-40 minutes…which actually built up our anticipation for the thrill rides.

                                      It felt more relaxing than our Maxpass schedule at Disneyland where we are constantly checking the time and bopping from one corner of the park to another.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Kikdenn View Post

                                        Maxpass schedule at Disneyland where we are constantly checking the time and bopping from one corner of the park to another.
                                        Agree...this why, I never care for Fast Pass /Maxpass
                                        I going to a park to relax ......and NOT to rush on Disney Time Zone...........
                                        IMO

                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X