Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tower of Terror Movie announced - Change Back?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower of Terror Movie announced - Change Back?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ie-1234972685/

So if Tower of Terror with Scarlett Johansson becomes the newest IP will they change the DCA attraction back?

I can't imagine it in the forseeable future. I mean it'd be neat if the movie does well and I'm sure they'd create tie in for the rides in Paris/WDW and maybe Japan?

Marvel is pretty big and now it's tied into a Marvel land in general it kinda feels like the ride makes more sense as it is now than it would regressing backwards. I say this as someone who wasn't that big a fan of the Guardians overlay at its onset but I'm just not sure this movie will be some sort of trigger for a new direction.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Well that was news I really didn't see coming.

I'm still predicting we won't get Tower of Terror back on the West Coast. My guess is this movie will be a Disney+ project rather than a theatrical release, and there will thus be less pressure to heavily market it since it won't make a direct profit.

I think it's within the realm of possibility Tower of Terror will eventually return if Disneyland goes through a renaissance period in the future. I imagine doing this would create a lot of hype surrounding the Disneyland Resort and bring in huge crowds. But it looks like for now we are stuck with Mission: Breakout, especially since a new Guardians of the Galaxy movie is coming in two years.
      Brian the Pooh

Comment

As much I would like to see TOT returning, I’m not holding my breath.

Comment

Somewhere in a storage bin, I have a DVD of the Tower of Terror movie with Kirsten Dunst. I bought it at the gift shop at the ride exit. I suddenly want to find it and watch it again. I wonder if this new movie will be similar.

Comment

ONLY TIME will tell...........
            IMO - not anytime soon, the way Disney is going............
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I am excited about the movie! That being said, I do not think there is any reason to believe (even if the movie is incredibly popular) that guardians will be changed back. Marvel land is here to stay and will likely only grow...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
                Somewhere in a storage bin, I have a DVD of the Tower of Terror movie with Kirsten Dunst. I bought it at the gift shop at the ride exit. I suddenly want to find it and watch it again. I wonder if this new movie will be similar.
                IMO- ........ I did not care for it.......I re call it on TV program......
                If a new movie comes out -I HOPE it is better....
                But Would like to see Tower of Terror the ride , change back!
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I can't wait to do a double feature of this with The Country Bears.

Comment

Nah, if anything, this is an opportunity to redo Tower of Terror in the theme of the movie and remove the Twilight Zone from it. To be honest, I never liked the TZ version and I've been on both DLR and WDW versions. Doubly, as a shareholder, this is the kind of Cheapek move (to stop paying CBS for the licensing) that I would approve of.

We talk a lot about IP here, for better or for worse, but there is absolutely no reason in 2021 for Disney to be paying licensing fees to other companies to do IP-related rides. They've got enough of their own IP to pull from.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                      "O" My
                      The Country Bears
                      please no )))((( That the worst movie ,I ever seen....and want my Money Back !!!!!!!!!!
                      IMO
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	run-away.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8641016

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                          We talk a lot about IP here, for better or for worse, but there is absolutely no reason in 2021 for Disney to be paying licensing fees to other companies to do IP-related rides. They've got enough of their own IP to pull from.
                          Oh, indeed they do. They're up to their lower lips in IP.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	run-away.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8641016

The Country Bears ( the movie)

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT................"RUN" !.........
                            lol
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

There is no way the ToT is returning anytime within the next decade or more. They would have to completely reskin the building ( again ) and repave the surrounding area now that uses the inlays to bridge the gap to Marvel Campus and Marvel is their #1 IP moneymaker right now I believe. Plus that would leave Marvel Campus with a single C-Ticket. Even chapek isn't that cravenly ignorant.

I never realized that they did a tower of terror movie and this Scarlett J. movie looks to be a remake. Like others have said I think Disney is currently trying to eject every IP within their umbrella that they do not outright own. ( minus Spiderman )
                              Last edited by Starcade; 06-24-2021, 11:19 AM.
                              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

^^^This. They completely redid the building and most likely the interior as well. So no change backs for D-land.
                                My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

To echo what others have said; I believe this is an attempt by Disney to create their own mythos and story for the Tower of Terror concept without any Twilight Zone connections. Assuming the film does even moderately well, they will seize that as an opportunity to revamp the existing Towers of Terrors in parks like WDW to remove all Twilight Zone references and better associate the attraction with whatever story the film tells. For reference, look at Tokyo DisneySEA's "Tower of Terror". A familiar, yet original story that requires no CBS-tie ins but is clearly the attraction we know and love.

I can't say that I wholly disapprove of this move. While sad to see the Twilight Zone stuff go (it was a perfect fit), I would be even happier to know that in at least some parks, this move will preserve the Tower of Terror for future generations to enjoy. We'll never get ours back out here in California but if this film saves even one of the others, then that one becomes a future vacation destination.
                                  "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I still miss the TOT and I would love to see it return. Nothing else at the parks gave me a such a creepy vibe. But sadly, I do not see any chance of it returning.

Comment

I for one would rather see the return of the haunted Hollywood hotel back in DCA.

Comment

Not for DL but it is good news for the rest of the ToTs around the world that they can stay creepy!
                                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                        My company had a special night at the park
                                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                        NYE 2011 trip report
                                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                        Leap year 24 hour report
                                        New DCA trip report
                                        NYE 2012
                                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X