Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you plus some attractions if you were an Imagineer?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
    The variety of answers here has me wondering just what exactly the parameters of "plussing" are. I always tend to think of it as minor changes to an existing attraction that do not significantly impact the theme or tone or "plot" (in the case of more narrative attractions). Some of y'all are talking about outright demolishing existing attractions and building entirely new ones, which I would put well outside the boundaries of "plussing." Am I off-base here?
    I don't think you're off-base, either. My list in comparison to others feels lame, but plussing is definitely the act of adding things here and there to embellish a ride (at least that's how I view the term as well).

Comment

Always surprise me that they did not add "AA" Animals
      ,not even a Grizzly Bear to the ~Grizzly River Run~

"Talk about a Eisner-cheap out"
      imo
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
        The variety of answers here has me wondering just what exactly the parameters of "plussing" are. I always tend to think of it as minor changes to an existing attraction that do not significantly impact the theme or tone or "plot" (in the case of more narrative attractions). Some of y'all are talking about outright demolishing existing attractions and building entirely new ones, which I would put well outside the boundaries of "plussing." Am I off-base here?
        you're not wrong, but who cares at this point? These ideas have been great. This definitely went from plussing rides to plussing the park lol

Comment

Ive been thinking a long time about how I would overhaul “it’s a small world” at Disneyland. As for the exterior facade, I’d bring the best of both worlds in terms of color schemes. Some white with some toned down pastel highlights. I’ve actually been working on photoshop a little bit with some mock ups color schemes to visualize what I’m thinking. In my vision at least, it would look pretty neat. As for the clock tower, I would change out the music and other sound effects to the ones used at Disneyland Paris, which was composed by John Debney. I just like the clock parade music they have there better, and the chimes sound like actual bells rather than the current ones with remind me of gongs instead. Also, remember the marquee they had a few years ago that had the blue boat and the children in it? I like that more than the current one. It’s actually not bad, I do still really like it and it fits the ride very well, but I feel like the boat has more charm to it and was just cute. I would redesign a new one with more expressive poses and more color (as reference, again, I’m looking at the fountain that DLP has). I’m taking a lot of inspiration from DLP because I think it has a neat art style for SOME things.. I don’t like the inside of the ride very much, but anyway… I’d find a way to mix together the classic Mary Blair style and the one that Paris has.

Now inside, a new redesigned “welcome” room would feature grand banners saying hello in different languages, designs, patterns and prettier color scheme consisting of purples, oranges, pinks, and blues. This is like a mixture of the old hello/goodbye rooms that DLP had and the original ones that Disneyland had when it first opened in 1966. Now, I want the Disney characters removed. They really turned the ride from an innocent look at world peace and unity to “spot the Disney IPs”.

When people say they find the ride scary, I’ve seen some mention the black walls and ceiling is part of that. Admittedly, there’s some scenes where there is a lot of empty wall space, perhaps add more scenes behind the pre-existing ones to cover up more of the wall? Doesn’t have to be anything crazy, could even just be some simple mountains, but I feel like new things to look at would be a plus, however not to replace any of the original sets, but to simply add on. I also agree with the ceiling a lot. Since they upgraded the lighting in 2008, it’s become much more visible. It’s 2022, the imagineers are more than capable to find a way around it, maybe even just make it completely solid instead of tiled, that way they could even project SOMETHING on it like clouds or stars or anything.

I feel like maybe there could be a little more movement in the sets. For example, the vines in the Africa scene could sway back and forth like they’re in the wind. Simple things like that.

One of the more controversial changes in 2008 was the addition of the western scene before the finale (where the rainforest used to be). Personally, I feel like it was only added just to have an excuse for woody and Jesse so I have no issues taking it out and moving the rainforest back in. I was never one to find the dolls in the IASW creepy, but the ones here? They’re the exception. I don’t know what it is but they’re just so uncanny compared to the rest. It’s horrifying actually, they’re so lifeless and stale. Plus, the original idea was to exclude America out (since we’re already there) and focus on the rest of the countries, and this goes right against that. Also it would bring back the old transition room in IASW Holiday that has the hanging bells and banners with the instrumental used for the Main Street tree lighting, which I do miss.

The finale actually doesn’t have much to fix at all, i agree with it already is since it has a beautiful color scheme and lots to see. The goodbye room would be similar to how it is already, in fact I think it would be interesting to have the postcards hanging up on banners similar to the welcome room to help them look less cheap. One thing I want to note is that I love the old pictures of the children holding hands in the old DLP goodbye room before 2015. I think they’re very cute and would want to somehow incorporate something similar into it.

as for the soundtrack, Im still torn between the og 1964 version or the 1992 John Debney one. I really don’t have a preference, I do love both equally and I listen to either one and enjoy them. The classic one is.. well, the classic and it also makes a ton of sense to have it play in Anaheim since it’s the original. But I can agree that the 1992 one turns a song that some find annoying into something beautiful and it’s really well orchestrated, so in a way I would also want to bring this one back to CA? It played from 1993-2002 previously. So I really can’t decide between the two lol.

Those are some of my ideas on how I would “overhaul” small world. It’s my favorite attraction in the park so I wouldn’t purposely make any bad changes and would spend a lot of time on it to make sure it’s perfect.
          Last edited by disneylandbornandraised; 03-26-2022, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Autopia: add a loop.

Comment

I like MRaymonds list a lot.

Autopia needed those electric cars from Hong Kong park.

Carousel Theater needs a revolving sit down animatronic show.

Fantasyland Theater should be Drawfs Mine Train.

sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
              - - Walt Disney

Comment

Last edited by waltopia; 03-26-2022, 11:32 AM.
                sigpic

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
                - - Walt Disney

Comment

sigpic

- - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                    Autopia: add a loop.
                    I still waiting for CORN DOG with a Loop !
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Bring back Mission to Mars, except it's a pizza place. You order and pay for your pizza at Mission Control. Your pizza appears on the screen as you design it. Take a seat in the rocket ship theater. During the flight, your pizza is served to you by Martians.

Comment

I would "plus" all of New Orleans Square by scaling back Club 33. It's a colossal waste of space.
                        Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends , is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                        WDW Trips: '81
                        EPCOT Trips: '93
                        Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                          I would "plus" all of New Orleans Square by scaling back Club 33. It's a colossal waste of space.
                          One Club .....that I would not be a part of........LOL
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Mad Tea Party: Add a Giant Teapot with the Doormouse popping out (similar to MK's version) .

Avengers Campus: Members of the TVA (Time Variance Authority) can be seen running after multiple variants of Loki in the land. They also try to apprehend Chip & Dale (in their Marvel fan look), thinking they are variants of Thor & Loki. Ms Minutes also gets a Meet & Greet.

Add Donald's Family Tree Chart on his boat (It's quite extensive!). With updated picture of his sister Della, based on her Ducktales Reboot design.
                            "...but life without cake is no life at all"
                            -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
                            WDW: 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                              Mad Tea Party: Add a Giant Teapot with the Doormouse popping out (similar to MK's version) .
                              I like this Ideal.
                              I would also put the ride under a covered , protect riders from extreme heat and sun !
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Turn Tomorrowland into Stark Expo '55, embrace retro-futurism theme, fill the land with ideas of future tech as envisioned by the past, have it draw on themes of space exploration and technological development as seen from the view of those living from 1955 to 1965. I think this would have been a better way to go than opening Avenger's Campus in DCA. Imagine a modern version of Adventure Through Inner Space with top of the line effects and a modern understanding of molecules and atoms, taking a dip into the quantum realm as seen by Ant Man for the finale, and all with a Paul Frees style narration.

Please check out my website too!

Comment

I would love for them to re-place the track of the Matterhorn. I don’t care if you keep most of the same layout. Just give me a new track!

Comment

A agree with everyone who’s talked about improving Grizzly River Run with animatronic characters. Every amusement park has a round raft ride these days. As it is today, it’s run of the mill, but it could easily be plussed.

I’ve always loved the cartoons with Humphrey the Bear and the Ranger. My young kids think they are hilarious, too, so they’ve aged well. They would fit into the retro California Redwoods theme perfectly.

Do you remember the Jetson’s driving their cars on highways in the sky? It would be a BIG plus, but I think it’s time for Autopia to be reimagined. It takes up too much real estate to be nothing more than a slow go-kart track. A retro futuristic style would be timeless in a way “Tomorrow” land should be. And I think guests of all ages would find driving like the Jetson’s an exciting experience!
                                    Last edited by Kikdenn; 04-01-2022, 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Omnitographer View Post
                                      Turn Tomorrowland into Stark Expo '55, embrace retro-futurism theme, fill the land with ideas of future tech as envisioned by the past, have it draw on themes of space exploration and technological development as seen from the view of those living from 1955 to 1965. I think this would have been a better way to go than opening Avenger's Campus in DCA. Imagine a modern version of Adventure Through Inner Space with top of the line effects and a modern understanding of molecules and atoms, taking a dip into the quantum realm as seen by Ant Man for the finale, and all with a Paul Frees style narration.
                                      I love the idea of bring some edutainment back to Tomorrow Land.

Comment

Originally posted by Kikdenn View Post

I love the idea of bring some edutainment back to Tomorrow Land.
                                        I AGREE..........No reason ,not to learn new adventure....and have fun at same time !
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                                          I would remove it entirely. The only reason it ever existed was for Walt to entertain current and prospective sponsors. Since that no longer is it's main mission statement, it's just another revenue flow which benefits a small minority and serves no benefit to the Park as a whole. Just imagine using part of that space for a reproduction of Preservation Hall or another fine dining restaurant, like the Napoleon House, to alleviate some of the pressure off of the Blue Bayou.
                                          We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
                                          The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X