Name:	8ED0ED6A-8304-461C-A54C-86C169AE77EF.jpeg
Views:	1010
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	8641597 Click image for larger version

Name:	B0308C9F-A925-4195-BE5A-03E4AA3EBEF8.jpeg
Views:	1022
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	8641596

Just checked my Disneyland app and Haunted Mansion will be closed for refurbishment from August 16th to September 2nd. I’m assuming this is for the NBC overlay, so get there before the change. Hope this helps you plan your trip! I know it’s going to make mine more enjoyable haha!

Now, if they would just make a Legend of Sleepy Hollow attraction, then we’d finally experience Halloween nirvana lol!
    Let's hope this isn't right. We don't want to be celebrating Christmas in September.

Comment

• DLHMFAN
      MiceChatter
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Cantina Boy View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	90801ED0-31AE-4607-B974-CE50C1B194E2.jpeg
Views:	1006
Size:	986.9 KB
ID:	8641598 Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED0ED6A-8304-461C-A54C-86C169AE77EF.jpeg
Views:	1010
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	8641597 Click image for larger version

Name:	B0308C9F-A925-4195-BE5A-03E4AA3EBEF8.jpeg
Views:	1022
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	8641596

Just checked my Disneyland app and Haunted Mansion will be closed for refurbishment from August 16th to September 2nd. I’m assuming this is for the NBC overlay, so get there before the change. Hope this helps you plan your trip! I know it’s going to make mine more enjoyable haha!

Now, if they would just make a Legend of Sleepy Hollow attraction, then we’d finally experience Halloween nirvana lol!
      Good news: The Haunted Mansion will not close on the 16th of August and reopen on the 2nd of September.

Comment

• Spongeocto4
        Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post

Good news: The Haunted Mansion will not close on the 16th of August and reopen on the 2nd of September.
        Umm...It's still showing that on the Disneyland App.

I think it's time to call it.
        "...but life without cake is no life at all"
        -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
        WDW: 2006
        Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• DLHMFAN
          MiceChatter
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Umm...It's still showing that on the Disneyland App.

I think it's time to call it.
          I can't find the bad news anywhere on the Disney website. It could be a mistake on the Disneyland App's part.

Comment

• disneychrista
            See Ya Real Soon!
            • Feb 2005

Let's hope this isn't right. We don't want to be celebrating Christmas in September.
            The Nightmare Before Christmas is a HALLOWEEN movie. The fact that it is stays through January is what is outrageous.

Comment

• Karalora
              Faerie Godmother

• Jul 2009

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a HALLOWEEN movie.
              *narrows eyes* You wanna take this outside?
              Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

• DLHMFAN
                MiceChatter
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

*narrows eyes* You wanna take this outside?
                Nope: The Nightmare Before Christmas is more of a Christmas movie. The beginning of the movie takes place at midnight on November 1st.

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Santa Claus vs. the Great Pumpkin!

Is The Nightmare Before Christmas a Christmas movie or a Halloween Movie?

Back in 1982, when he was still working in Walt Disney’s animation studio, director Tim Burton penned a poem called The Nightmare Before Christmas, tapping into his lifelong fascination with the spirit of both Halloween and Christmas. But it wasn’t until 1993 that he got to see his passion project reach the big screen, with the help of fellow animator Henry Selick and frequent musical collaborator Danny Elfman. What emerged was a stop-motion animated holiday classic… but which holiday does it celebrate, exactly?...

The Nightmare Before Christmas: 5 Reasons Why It's A Christmas Movie (& 5 Reasons Why It's More Halloween)

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a holiday classic. Whether that holiday is Halloween or Christmas is still seriously up for debate, though, amongst the many fans of the Tim Burton stop-motion film. While there are many Christmas elements of this amazing animated movie, there are also a lot of Halloween-related plot points throughout the entirety of it all. This has led to fans debating this hot topic frequently....

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS Is A Halloween Movie, Says Director

The Telluride Horror Show, Colorado's oldest horror film festival, brought Henry Selick to town for a special screening of his classic The Nightmare Before Christmas, and they brought me to host a Q&A with him. It's been a blast - not only was the Q&A great, but Selick is a really funny and smart guy to hang out with.

The Q&A ended with a terrific question, as a little girl in the crowd raised her hand and asked "Is this a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?"

Leave it to the kids to cut right to the heart of the matter! This is a question that has tugged at film fans for more than 20 years, and here we had the director himself, the man who had taken Tim Burton's germ of an idea and made a masterpiece out of it, to answer.

After the question was asked Selick looked a little surprised, and he said, "Oh boy," likely knowing that whatever answer he gave would be controversial.

"It's a Halloween movie," he said, definitively.

He acknowledged that a lot of people liked the Christmas Town stuff waaaaay better than the Halloween Town ("They love Santa and say he's all-powerful," he said), but he had to tell the truth: this is a movie about Halloween, and the people of Halloween, and how they react to something like Christmas.

Of course the declaration of the director will not do much to calm the raging tempest of this debate. Each side has their own logic - the Christmas people point to the fact that the movie takes place leading up to and on Christmas, for instance - but when it comes to the people who made the movie, there's only one answer: this is a Halloween movie for people who realize Halloween isn't just one day out of the year.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-03-2021, 09:07 PM.
                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

• jish5555
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a HALLOWEEN movie. The fact that it is stays through January is what is outrageous.
                    here's the thing, the Haunted Mansion shouldn't get the overlay in October, because it's probably the best ride for the month of Halloween, so why make it christmas themed?

Comment

• Karalora
                      Faerie Godmother

• Jul 2009

Since I know Team Halloween is going to treat this as a mic drop, I am preemptively invoking Death of the Author. Henry Selick's opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's.

It's a Christmas movie because of its themes...a Christmas movie with a Halloween aesthetic.
                      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

• Mr Wiggins

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

Since I know Team Halloween is going to treat this as a mic drop, I am preemptively invoking Death of the Author. Henry Selick's opinion carries no more weight than anyone else's.
                        But-but... Linus himself said, "Each year, the Great Selick rises out of the Disney Video that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a Disney Video can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see."

Then again, he also said, "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Selick."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Spongeocto4
                          Paper Mario Fanatic

• Jul 2011

Let's settle on a compromise! NBC is a THANKSGIVING film!
                          "...but life without cake is no life at all"
                          -Lysithea von Ordelia, Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Disneyland: 1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2023
                          WDW: 2006
                          Universal Hollywood: 1998, 2007, 2023

Comment

• disneychrista
                            See Ya Real Soon!
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jish5555 View Post

here's the thing, the Haunted Mansion shouldn't get the overlay in October, because it's probably the best ride for the month of Halloween, so why make it christmas themed?
                            I don't disagree the bold. It does seem silly to turn the haunted mansion into LESS of a spooky attraction for Halloween.

Comment

• DLHMFAN
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2015

Let's compromise: if this is true, then have the Haunted Mansion close on the 23rd of August instead of the 16th. It's way too early to be celebrating Christmas at the beginning of September. That and I have a trip to Disneyland in mid August.

Comment

• DLHMFAN
                                MiceChatter
                                • Apr 2015

BAD NEWS EVERYONE: LOOKS LIKE THE HAUNTED MANSION WILL BE DOWN FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR STARTING AUGUST 16TH. This ticks me off because I was going to Disneyland on August 18tth and 19th. So on September 2nd, it's Christmas time at Disneyland with Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Comment

• Blurr
                                  Fastest Bot in the Galaxy
                                  • May 2011

There are no words to describe how happy I am to hear Haunted Mansion Holiday is coming back this year. I was worried I’d be missing it two years in a row (or more) but it looks like I’m heading back to the parks one more time before the year ends!

Comment

• SillySpook
                                    Disneyland fan since 1967
                                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                    Santa Claus vs. the Great Pumpkin!
                                    . . . .
                                    Of course the declaration of the director will not do much to calm the raging tempest of this debate. Each side has their own logic - the Christmas people point to the fact that the movie takes place leading up to and on Christmas, for instance - but when it comes to the people who made the movie, there's only one answer: this is a Halloween movie for people who realize Halloween isn't just one day out of the year.[/I]
                                    This whole comment is the content I come to MiceChat for. Bravo!

I like both HMH and NMBC. IMHO, the debut of HMH two decades ago freshened the entire attraction -- it made regular HM more special, and it brought a fantastic character to Disneyland in Jack Skellington. Win-win. Fight me!
                                    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

Comment

• DarthBrett78
                                      Sith Lord Extraordinaire
                                      • Aug 2016

I was really hoping it would not happen this year. Honestly, DL shouldn't close the regular HM until the day after Halloween and then re-open it the week of Thanksgiving in time for the xmas holidays. It's an xmas movie through and through. I mean the title has christmas in it, the entire movie centers around the xmas holiday and Santa and Burton was inspired to make it because of all of the old Rankin-Bass stop-motion xmas specials from the late '60s and 1970s.

It's really a shame the original HM can only be seen for 7 months of the year and isn't able to be enjoyed during Halloween time (OCTOBER). When I visit DW, I always like the fact that I can go on HM in late Aug - Oct there. I know I am in the minority, but the HMH has worn out it's welcome for me. Has been for probably the past 6 or 7 years now. Maybe if it were only once every other year it would feel more special? If I were in charge I would only run it every other year and only do it from Nov-Jan instead of Sep-Jan.

Comment

• Co Foo
                                        • Jul 2014

BAD NEWS EVERYONE: LOOKS LIKE THE HAUNTED MANSION WILL BE DOWN FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR STARTING AUGUST 16TH. This ticks me off because I was going to Disneyland on August 18tth and 19th. So on September 2nd, it's Christmas time at Disneyland with Haunted Mansion Holiday.
                                        Great news for me! My family really loves the change of pace and it will be great for our December trip.

The original is my favorite, but we have a Disney World trip planned for next summer, so I can get my fix there.

Comment

• JoeCool
                                          Minion
                                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                                          I was really hoping it would not happen this year. Honestly, DL shouldn't close the regular HM until the day after Halloween and then re-open it the week of Thanksgiving in time for the xmas holidays. It's an xmas movie through and through. I mean the title has christmas in it, the entire movie centers around the xmas holiday and Santa and Burton was inspired to make it because of all of the old Rankin-Bass stop-motion xmas specials from the late '60s and 1970s.

It's really a shame the original HM can only be seen for 7 months of the year and isn't able to be enjoyed during Halloween time (OCTOBER). When I visit DW, I always like the fact that I can go on HM in late Aug - Oct there. I know I am in the minority, but the HMH has worn out it's welcome for me. Has been for probably the past 6 or 7 years now. Maybe if it were only once every other year it would feel more special? If I were in charge I would only run it every other year and only do it from Nov-Jan instead of Sep-Jan.
                                          I agree with you. This has been on display for 19 years. Christmas in September! Christmas Before Labor Day! Disney is pushing it. The mansion is not even open for the full summer and is down for 50% of August. As much as HMH has its fans and I admit I enjoy it. It really is too early and after 19 years....time to retire it. Maybe add Halloween decorations and new spooks during the fall inside and outside of the Mansion. Jack needs to go!
                                          Last edited by JoeCool; 07-08-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X