Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md6379a View Post
    Strangely (and sadly), these benefits only befall a few very small viewing areas, north and west of the lagoon. They don't really benefit the aesthetics of Tomorrowland at all.
    You're forgetting the most important one, I think: the view from the monorail as you enter the park.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

You're forgetting the most important one, I think: the view from the monorail as you enter the park.
      I have agree with you ......there something about re-enter the park by monorail
      and find self over lagoon -body of water .... with the Matterhood in the forefront ,I find it so cool.....
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        I think the subs are sunk. All Chapek need do is point to the high operating cost, the low rider count, and (most importantly) the continued increase in DL attendance numbers during the years that the subs were closed.

And this time, there's no Tony Baxter to fight for keeping them open.
        With Tony absent, this actually made me cried. I think some other DL classics are outnumbered in the far future.

Comment

Considering they dumped a lot of money into the ride just 14 years ago …. I don’t see how they would shutter it. It’s the only ride of its kind in the world. That area of Disneyland has been Rumourland since the 80s. To do anything would cost an ENORMOUS amount. Bob Cheapek permanently shut it for something better?!! 😆 Don’t make me laugh! And just leave that area closed AGAIN for an untold number of years?? Don’t they have enough shuttered facilities (PM track) or under utilised facilities- (carousel building, Starcade area, Magic Eye Theater?) If they did shutter it … it’s just another black eye for Disneyland! If anyone thinks they are going to commission a complete remodel of TL from top to bottom (like never done before) …. Maybe if it was pre Cheapek. But when the star building in Marvel Campus is just a facade … take off those rose colored glasses and think again.

I think because the virus is still rampant in California, and the subs being a very “closed in” ride sitting down so close to others… I think they are just waiting for the virus to be nearly eliminated.. then think of opening claustrophobic rides like this.
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
            Considering they dumped a lot of money into the ride just 14 years ago …. I don’t see how they would shutter it. It’s the only ride of its kind in the world........ And just leave that area closed AGAIN for an untold number of years?? Don’t they have enough shuttered facilities (PM track) or under utilised facilities- (carousel building, Starcade area, Magic Eye Theater?)
            It’s certainly conceivable despite those reasons ….They did it once before, and that was even pre-Chapek.

You're right on the account of there's little chance they'd replace it with something new. They'd have to overhaul a substantial part of Tomorrowland and the north east side of the park, and it doesn't seem like they'd want to spend that kind of money for one ride or mini-land... not even Tron or Arendale.

They're either going to show some grace and keep it for the reasons you mentioned, or let it sit rotting for at least the next decade.
            Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 06-30-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

They did the ride dirty by turning it into a Finding Nemo highlights reel (while pretending that it's a "new" adventure where somehow all the same things happen in roughly the same order...gimme a break!) instead of coming up with something unique to spruce it up. I still maintain that the best premise for an underwater adventure in Tomorrowland is a manned mission to some watery exoplanet to search for and study the alien life there. Imagine the weird and wonderful creatures they could create!

I whole-heartedly agree with your suggested replacement for the subs. I would even take this idea one step further as part of a larger Tomorrowland refurbishment. I have thought of using the old Carrousel of Progress building as a queue and launch for an Alien Undersea Journey where you are on an expedition to one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn (Europa or Titan). Both of those moons have liquid oceans and the potential for life. This would allow the lagoon to remain but act as a transition from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland. The ride vehicle could be a bathosphere similar to the rolling glass ball from Jurassic World.

Under most scenarios, the subs will sit idle to save costs and use COVID as the reasoning. The subs can go but the lagoon needs to stay, it is too iconic.
              Last edited by TorTuGA Mickey; 06-30-2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

It is a big enough space for a futuristic hotel in the park?

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga mickey View Post

the subs can go but the lagoon needs to stay, it is too iconic.
                  i agree
                  I love how the Monorail goes around most of it ,which make Monorail enjoyable trip!
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
                    It is a big enough space for a futuristic hotel in the park?
                    Sorry....
                    IMO- I not for that Ideal...................
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The subs are going away, but the lagoon will remain as a water feature. Once DLR gets around to a Tomorrow redo, the subs go away, the autopia goes away, the old motorboat canals go away, the people mover tracks go away.... but in all of that space, something really spectacular will take it's place.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post
                        The subs are going away, but the lagoon will remain as a water feature. Once DLR gets around to a Tomorrow redo, the subs go away, the autopia goes away, the old motorboat canals go away, the people mover tracks go away.... but in all of that space, something really spectacular will take it's place.
                        Couldnt agree more!!! As I have always lobbied for some version of Tron to make up that entire space. But how cool would it be to see that flying over the lagoon at night.

Comment

The subs days are not numbered! A wall has been put around the attraction with the notice that they will return in Winter 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Ducktale14 View Post
                            The pandemic has changed the way theme parks operate with enclosed tight spaces still being a major concern for some ques I have begun to wonder if the claustrophobic subs will ever make a return to Disneyland? With the inside space being so tight and everyone packed in like a can of sardines I have begun wondering if the state or Disney considers an environment such as that safe to be in, with worries of another surge lingering over our heads will Disney ever consider bringing back the attraction? It already has a small rider per hour count, limiting the amount of guests allowed to load would make the standby que even worse and as I've read before it costs Disney thousands per year to keep this attraction up and operating. So is it possible that this attractions days are once again numbered? Will the times force this attraction to once again dive into yesterland forever?
                            Bring back the Motor Boat Cruise, this time with sea serpents, sea gulls, and Great White sharks named Bruce!
                            Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                              The subs days are not numbered! A wall has been put around the attraction with the notice that they will return in Winter 2021.
                              Saw the signs and construction walls yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the subs cruising the lagoon later this year!

Comment

Originally posted by blazerslave View Post

Saw the signs and construction walls yesterday. Looking forward to seeing the subs cruising the lagoon later this year!
                                Going to be Interesting .......We will see= later this year!
                                or The subs days are number
                                But have to say......Time to Time .........the lagoon does have to be clean , and the attraction fix up!
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X