Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well Steakhouse 55 seems to be dead

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Still find it odd if they are removing one of the few truly upscale(ish) locations wouldn't "the most loyal fans" be the ones that would want this? I think chapek would bulldoze the castle and put in a faux luxury condo complex in it's place if he thought he could get people to lease it year round at this point. ( sorry, if he thought he could get people to book it nightly I meant.)
    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

    Comment


    • #22
      This is sad news. Although the announcement is a bit odd in my opinion. I wonder why they don't just say "permanently closed". I'm glad I went there one time for my birthday. It was such a nice experience. The atmosphere appears better than Napa to me, more intimate, lots of little out of the way tables rather than kids running under my legs as happened at Napa.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by MychaelP View Post
        This is sad news. Although the announcement is a bit odd in my opinion. I wonder why they don't just say "permanently closed"....
        Because Disney's marketing-dominated management doesn't communicate with the public that way. They spin every decision as somehow benefiting the guest experience, no matter how bogus the logic may seem to us.


        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #24
          Makes me hungry for a great big ribeye.

          Had some wonderful times at Granville's back in the day. I miss Sgt. Preston's too!

          Comment


          • #25
            I haven't been this sad about a dining change since I learned that River Belle Terrace was no longer buffeteria, and the Mickey Mouse Pancakes would no longer be made in front of us as we stood next to the grill. Those were good times. When River Belle began table service breakfast again, I went there hoping to recapture some of the earlier memories. But I had a terrible experience. The food took about 25 minutes to arrive, part of the order was wrong, and much of the food was cold. The Disney managers had taken away what I thought was the charm of the RBT, and replaced it with something that couldn't compare. I hope this doesn't happen again at the DLH.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by JoFi View Post
              PCH is also defunct. (Won't miss that one nearly as much, but still.)
              I will miss PCH. Donald's Seaside Breakfast was a last minute save for my trip, which occured during the 2020 shut down weekend. The food was decent. I loved how Stitch went nuts when he saw my Nieces carrying identical plushes of Angel. He grabbed the plushes and had an impromptu double date with the 2 Angels, with Minnie and Daisy pretending to be waitresses. This silliness was a bright spot, as the parks had already been closed for 2 days at the time.
              Last edited by Spongeocto4; 07-02-2021, 08:43 PM.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Tomorrowland67 View Post
                I haven't been this sad about a dining change since I learned that River Belle Terrace was no longer buffeteria, and the Mickey Mouse Pancakes would no longer be made in front of us as we stood next to the grill. Those were good times. When River Belle began table service breakfast again, I went there hoping to recapture some of the earlier memories. But I had a terrible experience. The food took about 25 minutes to arrive, part of the order was wrong, and much of the food was cold. The Disney managers had taken away what I thought was the charm of the RBT, and replaced it with something that couldn't compare. I hope this doesn't happen again at the DLH.

                I've never really shaken off the RBT change either. It just oozed charm.

                Maybe steak houses are on the wane and they want to do something different. That's well and good. BUT...DLH is very iconic. What they choose to put in there to replace Steakhouse 55 will give a super big hint as to the direction things are going. It'll be interesting.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Pips View Post


                  I've never really shaken off the RBT change either. It just oozed charm.

                  Maybe steak houses are on the wane and they want to do something different. That's well and good. BUT...DLH is very iconic. What they choose to put in there to replace Steakhouse 55 will give a super big hint as to the direction things are going. It'll be interesting.
                  A few weeks ago I would've said that we were not alone and WDW was having its own losses which were reported on the dining front. Though after the backlash, they did bring back the Ohana noodles at Disney's Polynesian Resort.

                  Long story short, we are indeed alone. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they cook up (pun intended).

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Noooooooo!!!!! We never went because our daughter was younger and we always thought we'd have a chance to go in the future.

                    The menu and the ambiance looked so great. I'm really bummed.
                    You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young. ―George Darling
                    It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell. ― Walt Disney

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Another " Disney " Takeaway..................imo
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Yeah, it was always closed whenever I went to visit Disneyland, so no surprise there.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                          Oh what -- that's terrible. How sure are we of this information?
                          https://www-mercurynews-com.cdn.ampp...www.google.com
                          “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

                          DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                          WDW Trips: '81
                          EPCOT Trips: '93
                          Tokyo DL Trips: '86

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Obligatory 24 Layer Cake pin from SH55

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0358 (1).jpg
Views:	572
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	8641617
                            My wife is the rebel spy.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              well damn. i was thinking i could eat there since i was going to be staying at the hotel. Never had the chance to eat there before.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Upscale restaurants at Disney resorts are fine for teaching your kids how to behave at fancier places because they are usually kid friendly. We had some very good meals at Steakhouse 55 & are disappointed it's closing. Our favorite place to eat is at the chef's counter at Napa Rose.

                                I have a Disney Visa card and use the Rewards Dollars to pay for things (expensive meals, T-shirts, hotel rooms, an occasional beer) at Disney resorts that would otherwise annoy me because of their high prices. I'll probably use a different card after my kid goes to college.

                                Below is a photo of my daughter at Steakhouse 55.


                                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 9.55.46 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	8641653

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  A CM told us that they are planning to bring something different to the SH55 location, but that there is no intention to put another restaurant at PP to replace PCH. I find that hard to believe. No restaurant means the hotel loses a star/diamond. While that may seem insignificant to the fact that they can sell out the hotel regardless of the rating, Disney has always cared, which is why PP has that crappy little bar area next to the coffee stand in the lobby (to preserve their star).

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                                    A CM told us that they are planning to bring something different to the SH55 location, but that there is no intention to put another restaurant at PP to replace PCH. I find that hard to believe. No restaurant means the hotel loses a star/diamond. While that may seem insignificant to the fact that they can sell out the hotel regardless of the rating, Disney has always cared, which is why PP has that crappy little bar area next to the coffee stand in the lobby (to preserve their star).
                                    I find it hard to believe if they left PPH with no restaurant. Another possibility is that they are overhauling the kitchens, hence why there is still no food service yet.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                                      there is no intention to put another restaurant at PP to replace PCH.
                                      There are long term plans to demolish the hotel and start from scratch. It has really always been nothing more than a glorified Motel 6. I used to work there when it was the Pan Pacific, so I have firsthand knowledge of this.

                                      It's possible that the long term plans might have been moved up, which is why they don't want to spend any money on a restaurant replacement. Or, they figure everyone will just walk over to the DLH or DD if they want food.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Other news sources are confirming permanent closure of PCH and S55.... I will miss my brick of french toast (aka stuffed french toast). It was my favorite french toast at DLR after the removed the cinnamon roll french toast from within Disneyland proper.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post

                                          There are long term plans to demolish the hotel and start from scratch. It has really always been nothing more than a glorified Motel 6. I used to work there when it was the Pan Pacific, so I have firsthand knowledge of this.

                                          It's possible that the long term plans might have been moved up, which is why they don't want to spend any money on a restaurant replacement. Or, they figure everyone will just walk over to the DLH or DD if they want food.
                                          When the Magic Kingdom Club was still active, I always stayed at the Emerald, and later the Pan Pacific. I thought it was the best bargain in the brochure.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X