X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post

This is very true, I have not even gone into just how much money DLR makes on frequent visitors collecting the popcorn buckets and other merch that requires being in the parks on a regular basis to take advantage. People who come once a year might buy a single popcorn bucket but those with passes are buying every single one released etc. The fact also that DLR does little to control the flippers of these items shows they are very much willing to turn a blind eye to keep the high volume of sales going.
    Good Name "Fipper " Items
    and you are right - Disney has turn a blind eye - to keep the high volume of sales going!
    imo

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
    Everyone saying that APers don't spend money like regular guests clearly don't know APers (incluing Chapek, who is still trying to figure out when Splash Mountain opened).

I will say that one benefit of there being no passes right now is that there is no merchandise shortage from resellers coming in and hoarding all the new stuff. There were several items that are sold out on Shop Disney and at WDW that we were looking for, and going for a premium on ebay, that were bountifully available inside the park.

it seems resellers can't make money if they have to pay $200 for a ticket to go get that coveted merch!
    This is very true, I have not even gone into just how much money DLR makes on frequent visitors collecting the popcorn buckets and other merch that requires being in the parks on a regular basis to take advantage. People who come once a year might buy a single popcorn bucket but those with passes are buying every single one released etc. The fact also that DLR does little to control the flippers of these items shows they are very much willing to turn a blind eye to keep the high volume of sales going.
    Last edited by Starcade; 07-08-2021, 03:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• savarese04
    replied
    Everyone saying that APers don't spend money like regular guests clearly don't know APers (incluing Chapek, who is still trying to figure out when Splash Mountain opened).

I will say that one benefit of there being no passes right now is that there is no merchandise shortage from resellers coming in and hoarding all the new stuff. There were several items that are sold out on Shop Disney and at WDW that we were looking for, and going for a premium on ebay, that were bountifully available inside the park.

it seems resellers can't make money if they have to pay $200 for a ticket to go get that coveted merch!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    I wish could, but right after I posted and saw the that it was all CA residence it would not let me update the title.
    This forum's software is funny that way. Try sending PhotoMatt a PM -- he can change the title.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadanooga View Post
    We need to change the title of this thread from, “SoCal residents,” to “All California residents.”
    I wish could, but right after I posted and saw the that it was all CA residence it would not let me update the title.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_IvanStark
    replied
    I really want to go back again. Granted I went back to back weekends with park hoppers. Besides the mobile ordering nonsense, that walk from M&F parking structure to the parks is a killer! And add the summer heat! I wish they would have the tram up and running again. It would make it much easier for everyone. But other than that, I think its worth it. For it being summer, I like how its not as crowded and you can clear both parks in the same day.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    Disney does need locals. They just need the locals to pay more than $30/month to get through the gates.

Yes, you can use the CA ticket to get in to DL, but I think they want to see how many people use it to get into DCA, especially if DL is full. If people don't use it to get into DCA they will come up with something else.

And the 2FER will be the next trick up their sleeve if this promotion doesn't work.
    LAUGHING....your right !
    I was thinking they (Disney) have bag of tricks.......
    IMO
    Disney California Adventure .......have to many Issue.......from day one
    and worth is not there

Leave a comment:

• Chadanooga
    replied
    We need to change the title of this thread from, “SoCal residents,” to “All California residents.”

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    I always enjoy the Entertainment at Knotts as well food......
    Which Knott's offer........
    I just wish they had there Old Fire Works Show- back
    Like the old days -around the lake -during the summer

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by MychaelP View Post

I've been tempted to get a Knotts pass just for the music there now. The bands are made up of many cast who were in the T-Party at DCA.
    Also their Dining Plan appears a great value. Seems families that live close could go there every day if they wanted to and save thousands on food!
    I can say the music was actually very nice nothing I recognized from movies like I do a DLR but the various folk, zydeco and blue grass music being played everywhere you went was great and the live music was always good as we walked by. Also throughout the Ghost Town area there would be random interactions between " town folk" we saw a shoot out and some musicians etc. really was cool to see some random stuff like this. I will have to look further into the dining plan but I can attest the food was very good every place we ate my kids who are very much food critics in training these days raved about everything they had.
    Last edited by Starcade; 07-08-2021, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MychaelP
    replied

Yup more than half the AP'ers we know of including ourselves are now Knott's AP'ers because the value is just so much higher right now than DLR. We've been DLR AP'ers for the last 7 years and never thought once about going to Knott's but chapek set a price we felt foolish to accept so we've been taking our spent to Knott's while we wait for DLR to get their act together. We went a couple of weeks back and the crowds at Knott's were moderate with wait times for rides around 20 min, on average. (minus log ride which was 45 min. ) I think there was a surge everywhere this past weekend that has bled into the week with a lot of folks getting Monday off and taking an extra day or two to give themselves a little but of a vacation. I know my team at work had half take yesterday (6th) and last Friday off to lengthen their weekend.
    I've been tempted to get a Knotts pass just for the music there now. The bands are made up of many cast who were in the T-Party at DCA.
    Also their Dining Plan appears a great value. Seems families that live close could go there every day if they wanted to and save thousands on food!

Leave a comment:

• MychaelP
    replied
    Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
    the low spend of the few hour AP and the low dollars per entry in comparison to others and it becomes pretty clear with your own analysis why Disney took a shot at getting rid of the system as it stood.
    Interesting in that the AP holders I know would spend a lot more money than others. Those popcorn buckets that seemed to be released every month had lines so long it would take an hour to buy one. New ears purchases monthly, packing the restaurants. Back when the T-Party was at DCA, they would pack the drink lines for an hour long wait to pay $15 per drink.
    I also didn't think they got rid of the system as it stood for that reason. I think personally that it was because after the shutdowns ended, the parks would be too packed, or too many passholders would not be able to get back in. Just that same thing happened in Florida with passholders complaining they had passes they couldn't get in with reservations.
    A new system is coming. Disney needs that consistent recurring income.
    I'm not aware of many tourists who say they won't go to Disneyland because it's crowded. All parks are crowded during tourist season. Universal Studios Hollywood has been so packed you can barely move in the main corridor. Line waits over an hour for many rides. Lots of tourists. Even from other countries somehow even though many are still blocked from travel here. There are ways around it I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
    We went to Knott's on the 6th and it was absolutely JAMMED, with the park entrance line all the way down past the marketplace at noon. It was reminiscent of my trips there well before COVID, but actually even longer lines than that. Very obvious where the locals are going.
    Yup more than half the AP'ers we know of including ourselves are now Knott's AP'ers because the value is just so much higher right now than DLR. We've been DLR AP'ers for the last 7 years and never thought once about going to Knott's but chapek set a price we felt foolish to accept so we've been taking our spent to Knott's while we wait for DLR to get their act together. We went a couple of weeks back and the crowds at Knott's were moderate with wait times for rides around 20 min, on average. (minus log ride which was 45 min. ) I think there was a surge everywhere this past weekend that has bled into the week with a lot of folks getting Monday off and taking an extra day or two to give themselves a little but of a vacation. I know my team at work had half take yesterday (6th) and last Friday off to lengthen their weekend.

Leave a comment:

• savarese04
    replied
    Was there this past weekend and can confirm demand is very soft. Park availability was at 100% every day except the 4th. Each day, Disneyland felt very quiet on Main Street, with decent crowding in select areas around the park. Tomorrowland is positively deader than dead, with Star Tours and Autopia running 10-15 min max. Seems everyone just goes to Space Mountain (30-40 min) and gets out of there ASAP.

On the 4th, it was pretty crowded, but NOTHING like a typical 4th. That could be due to capacity contraints, but I think a lot of it was just soft demand. On the 5th, it was actually more crowded in the AM than the 4th, but by the time 4-5pm hit, parks were empty. Suspect a lot of people did a half day and then headed home early due to work or whatever the next day.

We went to Knott's on the 6th and it was absolutely JAMMED, with the park entrance line all the way down past the marketplace at noon. It was reminiscent of my trips there well before COVID, but actually even longer lines than that. Very obvious where the locals are going.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    And the 2FER will be the next trick up their sleeve if this promotion doesn't work.
    Legoland is currently doling the buy one get one free if you purchase a lego kit of some sort of threshold on their site. I never heard this was promoted only found out after buying large kit and then the next day I received a email voucher for buy one entry get a second free. Also if you shop at Pavillion's Grocery stores the receipt has a coupon on the back for a free Childs admission for every adult admission purchased for LegoLand. Seems LegoLand not only wants to attract more guests but understands that families visit more so than individuals or at least that is what they are hoping for. I think one of chapeks many missteps is he seems to calculate everything from the perspective of a single person making purchases for themselves instead a single family member making a purchase for a family of 3-5 people.
    Last edited by Starcade; 07-07-2021, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    Disney does need locals. They just need the locals to pay more than $30/month to get through the gates.

Yes, you can use the CA ticket to get in to DL, but I think they want to see how many people use it to get into DCA, especially if DL is full. If people don't use it to get into DCA they will come up with something else.

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    If Disneyland wants to fill up DCA, it’s weird they offer a ticket that will you get into DL at a discount.*

Disney allegedly doesn’t want to cater to locals anymore and yet they get to go at a discount. Disney: we don’t want you or need you, so don’t bother paying full price...

This logic does not make sense.

*ETA: IIRC, the old 2fer deal at least required you go to DCA. If you bought the 2fer ticket to see DL, you would only be able to use it later at DCA, thus ensuring attendance for that park. With this deal, it looks like you can bypass DCA altogether.
    Last edited by Jesser-pie; 07-07-2021, 08:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoMatt
    replied
    People forget that the reservation system allows them to know how many people are planning to visit up to 120 days out. It's not correct to say that Disneyland is not happy with the numbers they have now. Yesterday DL sold out. If they were not happy, they would have increased the number of available reservations. The issue is that the reservation system allows them to see that there is going to be a drop in future attendance, and they want to lessen that. They also know that DCA isn't going to continue to be filled with people paying $120+ per day. This is why we have the CA resident tickets.

Leave a comment:

• Merc-in-teal
    replied
    I cant weigh in on whether or not an AP program is returning, but I can state that there is fallacy in the logic that people aren't coming because park passes aren't selling out now vs in June. They definitely allocated a greater number of slots in July, and have already refilled those slots at least once, as days that were previously sold out became available again. It'll thus be difficult to tell what the numbers really are moving forward. (Though, this sale is certainly an indication that they'd like higher numbers than what they've got.)

Leave a comment:

• jish5555
    replied
    Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

You do see with your own statement why APs created the perceived issues though don’t you? The once a week or every other week drop in for a few hours AP objectively and optically created ever more untenable crowding which in turn was disenchanting and turning away day passers. Combine that with the low spend of the few hour AP and the low dollars per entry in comparison to others and it becomes pretty clear with your own analysis why Disney took a shot at getting rid of the system as it stood.
    except Disney wants those crowds, they want as many bodies in the parks daily as possible because it means more revenue and more food and merch sales, which as I've brought up before, makes up the majority of revenue within the Disney parks. Yes, a visitor can buy a multi day ticket, but they're going to always spend more money with the food and merch sales. This was the same with the aps who before even going, had paid for essentially the full year at a discounted rate. Also, if an ap spends over $1000 for an ap for the year, but only goes 4-5 times in that year, Disney made money off them (which is a good 20-28% of locals in the area, where Disney made more off them then what they'd have made forcing those locals to buy a ticket per visit).

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X