Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    DLR used to be a park where you could spot more custodians than you could rubbish on the ground. I have heard/read several times from multiple sources that DLR has neglected the custodial staff to a point where they have had so many call outs they are struggling to fill those positions and keep a minimum amount working at any given shift. Even McDonalds is offering $16 per hour and lots of benefits I think it's time DLR follow suit if they are expecting guests to pay through the nose.
    A few days ago they had 62 callouts out of 200 people scheduled. This is for custodial.

They are offering 7 day work weeks to anyone who wants it. One of the main problems is that day shift custodial is being asked to do the work of third shift, which is very labor intensive. I have also been told that often the schedules being given are not what the CM's are asking for.

They are closing restrooms right after the park closes so they can get started with the deep cleaning that the day shift custodial has to do.

It's a real mess right now, but Disneyland is now officially hiring new people. They have called back everyone who wanted to come back.

Comment

Disney can call back everyone they want, but they can't disguise the fact that upper management views park employees as low-value and replaceable. The hypocritical PR flack from execs like Chapek about how much they value the staff just rubs salt in the wound. The "Disney difference" that made working for the Mouse extra-special is fading -- and it's showing up first and foremost in the staff. To no surprise, management's response is to finger-point at the pandemic and the economy, but otherwise to keep doing the same thing they've done for the last three decades.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post

Here we see what is really sacrificed with these the cost-cutting measures. Overworked, underpaid, under-staffed and under-trained CMs are not capable of delivering the smiling service that we are accustomed to. Good attitudes alone cannot bridge that gap. It's honestly a testament to their dedication that they haven't all quit en masse like the employees at some businesses I have heard about.
        I agree, Karalora. I have a lot of experience in the service industry where I was being paid a less than stellar wage, hence why I only have respect for the CM's clocking in. I witnessed a couple of guests acting nasty at the Starbucks because service was slow, but honestly if those guests were paying attention, they would have seen the CM's on the job going as FAST as they could and giving it their all. Anytime I spoke to a CM or server, I thanked them immensely for their work. I'm sure a fair wage and well-balanced schedule would be far better, but honestly, whatever helps them get through their day.

Also I'm sure the mobile order CM's have gotten spat at for just stating the rules, hence why they were short. They're doing the best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
          [/LIST]Rides at their best (best of show):[LIST][*]Rise of the Resistance
          I was there July 3, and Rise of the Resistance wasn't looking good.

***WARNING: SPOILERS FOR RISE OF THE RESISTANCE BELOW***

The audio went out at several points, the lightsaber effect in the "elevator" didn't work at all, the "cannons" weren't moving, the final Kylo Ren was in B-mode, and part of the escape pod screen was blurry. I even heard another guest in my vehicle say "that wasn't the same" at the end. Most notably, perhaps, was that the CMs seemed really rushed, rather than being in character like usual.

I really, really hope this was a fluke!

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post

I was there July 3, and Rise of the Resistance wasn't looking good.

***WARNING: SPOILERS FOR RISE OF THE RESISTANCE BELOW***

The audio went out at several points, the lightsaber effect in the "elevator" didn't work at all, the "cannons" weren't moving, the final Kylo Ren was in B-mode, and the escape pod screen was blurry. I even heard another guest in my vehicle say "that wasn't the same" at the end. Most notably, perhaps, was that the CMs seemed really rushed, rather than being in character like usual.

I really, really hope this was a fluke!
            Since it was my first time, I assumed that the "rush" was part of the act, and so I don't think I can speak on that specifically. Also, I had grown accustomed to tired CM's that day, and tired guests, and a tired brother. It was after Rise of the Resistance that I realized I needed to get a second wind via an espresso shot.

Elevator worked! Cannons were moving! That Kylo Ren animatronic was on B-mode though....

Comment

I would like to point out ( and if I can speak for some of us) the issues with CM's being mentioned are not actually issues with the CM's personally a lot of it is issues with management miss treating or neglecting CM's. Just like a bratty child is often a reflection of bad parenting not the individual child a grumpy CM is often the result of their bosses taking them for granted or neglecting them. I am sure alot of people are sold on the romance of being a CM as being able to help others have one the greatest days of their lives and seeing so many happy people all day long etc. but then they are put into situations where guests are not having a happy day and they are thrust into guests that are not smiling etc. and they were never given the extensive training they had heard about on how to turn those frowns upside down so to speak. When I was in college I had a friend that became a CM and she went through extensive training and could put it proudly on her resume as it used to mean something to corporate hiring managers that you had the Disney University level guest relations. Around 2001 they began cutting back on this and based on comments it's really starting to show as all the pre 2001 hires have now cycled out and those that replaced them are not as well prepared for the task.
              Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Since it was my first time, I assumed that the "rush" was part of the act, and so I don't think I can speak on that specifically. Also, I had grown accustomed to tired CM's that day, and tired guests, and a tired brother. It was after Rise of the Resistance that I realized I needed to get a second wind via an espresso shot.

Elevator worked! Cannons were moving! That Kylo Ren animatronic was on B-mode though....
                ***ONCE AGAIN, SPOILERS FOR RISE BELOW***

Great to hear re the elevator! Of course, there are two of those. Were you in the "front car" (the one that goes closest to the probe droid in an earlier scene) or the "back car" (the one that sees the probe droid over the other car)? I was in the "front car."

Were all three cannons moving, as you were crossing their paths (so that you would stop when they launch forward in front of you)? It seems like "B-mode" for the cannons is to have the first one move as you approach the scene, and then no forward movement while you're crossing their paths. That's the what I was actually referring to when I said "the 'cannons' weren't moving." (The glass-half-full is that they have such a B-mode, rather than literally no movement at all.)

Too bad about Kylo Ren. I wonder what's up with that animatronic. I think it's in B-mode often at WDW, too. Hopefully, it's a specific problem that they can work on fixing...

The CMs do act rushed intentionally, but on this last visit, it felt less like a "show" rush, and more like an "efficiency"/"tiredness" rush.

Thanks again for your great review/analysis of your day at DL!

Comment

I would like to point out ( and if I can speak for some of us) the issues with CM's being mentioned are not actually issues with the CM's personally a lot of it is issues with management miss treating or neglecting CM's. Just like a bratty child is often a reflection of bad parenting not the individual child a grumpy CM is often the result of their bosses taking them for granted or neglecting them. I am sure alot of people are sold on the romance of being a CM as being able to help others have one the greatest days of their lives and seeing so many happy people all day long etc. but then they are put into situations where guests are not having a happy day and they are thrust into guests that are not smiling etc. and they were never given the extensive training they had heard about on how to turn those frowns upside down so to speak. When I was in college I had a friend that became a CM and she went through extensive training and could put it proudly on her resume as it used to mean something to corporate hiring managers that you had the Disney University level guest relations. Around 2001 they began cutting back on this and based on comments it's really starting to show as all the pre 2001 hires have now cycled out and those that replaced them are not as well prepared for the task.
                  Sadly, that's true.

As was posted on MiceChat in 2012 by a longtime CM:

Originally posted by Westsider
                  People still seem to think that CM's are actually trained on how to be "nice" to people, or given basic expectations of politeness, or taught tactics and nuances of providing good customer service. No such training exists in any meaningful way.

(There is a four hour class for new hires on how to pick up heavy boxes or push large objects around, however. It's called Safety In Motion and it is mandatory, with mandatory annual refresher courses assigned to every Resort CM. No such course in Courtesy exists, and so there would be no such annual refresher course since the initial course isn't there to begin with.)

The training materials and techniques belched out by the bloated and pathetic "Disney University" training department in 2012 are worthless, and do absolutely nothing to set forth any sort of customer service standard CM's should live up to, let alone actually teach 18 year old Joe from Monrovia, CA how to handle any specific customer service situation.

The first day of Traditions, and the second day of Welcome To Park Operations touches briefly on customer service. But it does so in such a bland, corporate-speak, TDA-cubicle created way that it is practically meaningless. And God forbid you actually lay out the concept of actual standards that someone would live up to! That is too advanced for TDA's Disney University group, and they are busy sitting in TDA far removed from the actual operation of the park to even consider such a silly thing.

I find it humorous that people are confronted by poor customer service and then expect that there is still some sort of training program that would have prevented it had the CM in question only been paying attention. There is no such training. The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

But nothing the Disney University has done in the last 10 years will have had any impact on the good customer service you receive in the parks. The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT [On the Job Training].

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Sadly, that's true.

As was posted on MiceChat in 2012 by a longtime CM:
                    I have my wife and three other friends who were all cast members trained in the 80 and early 90's and they all have the ability to turn on and off the charm that makes others around them feel so comfortable but my cousin who was trained around 2011 got zero customer service training before being put on Main Street as a CM. When my wife would talk to him about the training etc. they were both shocked, he that her training was so extensive and she that his training was barely beyond what a cashier at a grocery store received. This is one thing we can't blame chapek but I believe the timeline seems to line up with pressler.
                    Last edited by Starcade; 07-07-2021, 03:57 PM.
                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I have my wife and three other friends who were all cast members trained in the 80 and early 90's and they all have the ability to turn it on and off the charm that makes others around them feel so comfortable but my cousin who was trained around 2011 got zero customer service training before being put on Main Street as a CM. When my wife would talk to him about the training etc. they were both shocked, he that her training was so extensive and she that his training was barely beyond what a cashier at a grocery store received. This is one thing we can't blame chapek but I believe the timeline seems to line up with pressler.
                      That's right. As part of his strategy to fulfill Eisner's demand that Disneyland deliver double-digit profits, Pressler began a series of cuts in the Company's investment in its frontline employees -- wages, training, and perks. Subsequent management regimes deepened the cuts.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                        Disney can call back everyone they want, but they can't disguise the fact that upper management views park employees as low-value and replaceable. The hypocritical PR flack from execs like Chapek about how much they value the staff just rubs salt in the wound. The "Disney difference" that made working for the Mouse extra-special is fading -- and it's showing up first and foremost in the staff. To no surprise, management's response is to finger-point at the pandemic and the economy, but otherwise to keep doing the same thing they've done for the last three decades.
                        I AGREE
                        The kind of $ MONEY $
                        Disney asking from the Guest for a Good Day at the parks........Chapek CEO should care......
                        and that were the finger-poining start .....not with pandemic........
                        As you have in your post........
                        The Garbage that Disney has present , has been going on last three decades ! IMO
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by md6379a View Post

***ONCE AGAIN, SPOILERS FOR RISE BELOW***

Great to hear re the elevator! Of course, there are two of those. Were you in the "front car" (the one that goes closest to the probe droid in an earlier scene) or the "back car" (the one that sees the probe droid over the other car)? I was in the "front car."

Were all three cannons moving, as you were crossing their paths (so that you would stop when they launch forward in front of you)? It seems like "B-mode" for the cannons is to have the first one move as you approach the scene, and then no forward movement while you're crossing their paths. That's the what I was actually referring to when I said "the 'cannons' weren't moving." (The glass-half-full is that they have such a B-mode, rather than literally no movement at all.)

Too bad about Kylo Ren. I wonder what's up with that animatronic. I think it's in B-mode often at WDW, too. Hopefully, it's a specific problem that they can work on fixing...

The CMs do act rushed intentionally, but on this last visit, it felt less like a "show" rush, and more like an "efficiency"/"tiredness" rush.

Thanks again for your great review/analysis of your day at DL!
                          ***MORE SPOILERS, SORRY***

I was definitely in the front car. Now that you've mentioned the cannons in B-mode... what you're describing actually sounds like what I experienced, which is B-mode. Dang.

And yeah, I definitely got a sense of tiredness, and it was the first ride after the attraction broke for a whole hour, so they were probably doing a lot of rushing around behind the scenes while that went down. I will give credit to the one Rebel CM that led us to the ship that was seized by the First Order... there were kids, and he got down to the kids level and gave them a 1:1 briefing. As long as you make the kids happy, I'm taking a backseat!

And anytime. As I told my brother, it's impossible to have a terrible day at the D! It just needs some work in spots, and I hope management can get ahead of it rather than let it crumble.

Comment

I'll be there on the 11th so I really appreciate the review! It gives me a good idea what to expect...

Comment

I went on Rise 3 times while there and never saw anything in B mode, although at one point we were waiting to get into the vehicles and there was an issue with the loading room, so we were rerouted to a different loading room. Ride was still entirely in A mode though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post

I found this part of your review interesting. Despite the pressures and the challenges, there is NO excuse for these employees to display their irritability (at least not in a way perceivable to the paying guests), or for them to be vocally complaining to guests, even when asked by guests for their "opinions". Completely unprofessional and unacceptable. When hourly employees clock in to do a job which they are being paid for, especially in a service industry role, any of their personal gripes they need to leave at home, otherwise I suggest they look for another line of work. Their jobs are to be performed without their personal feelings being transparent. That has always been a big part of "the magic" and Disneyland, that workers put on a happy face. If people who are paying the high price of an admission ticket wanted to go to experience unhappy people, they could have saved a lot of money and instead gone to a DMV office and stood in those long lines.
                                While I definitely agree with what you’re saying, I think it’s also important for us to remember these people are human. If Disneyland is anything like a lot of businesses and restaurants that are now open across the country, then it’s apparent the current climate is different. Being understaffed and expected to perform the duties of 3 people when you’re just 1 would cause anyone to be irritable. I know Disney prides itself in service, and “bad” CMs existed before the pandemic. I just think it’s important for us to be more understanding during these times. And if a lot of those CMs were to simply look for a different line of work, we may not have anyone working there to help us.

Comment

I was there July 3rd and 4th and my sentiments/takeaways are this:

-It was "crowded" but this did not mean that lines were long. I never saw a wait over 1 hour and I never waited more than 30 mins for any attraction, in fact in the morning and evenings, many rides were walk ons. I thoroughly enjoyed this as I was able to accomplish SO MUCH.
                                  -The app wait times seemed mostly accurate to me, but I felt like I had to be on my phone way too much throughout the day. Thank goodness for backup battery packs.
                                  -I did notice the Cast Members who were bubbly and enthusiastic, they stood out as shining stars compared to the ones who were not enthused, irritated, tired, etc. I work in customer service so I completely understand that you might work with a difficult customer and it puts you in a mood. But it was a drastic difference, the ones that you could joke with and share a smile and the ones who just weren't having it.
                                  -I didn't notice dirty bathrooms and actually saw many custodial team members cleaning up often all around the parks.
                                  -On the 4th, Disneyland experienced a power outage on the west side of the park, this included Rise and was the reason my group got bumped for the day. Thankfully I had ridden the previous day. It was working perfectly in my experience.
                                  -The train had really long stops and made the round trip circle tour nearly an hour long as a result. I was happy to ride it, but spent most of the time just waiting in my seat at the stops.
                                  -Got to sit on the porch on Main Street for breakfast which is ALWAYS occupied.
                                  -It was pretty hot and I took several breaks which was okay since I never felt rushed and got to experience everything that I wanted to. The beauty of no Fastpass and AP's :-)
                                  -This trip almost reminded me of the old "off seasons".
                                  -My mobile order experience was seamless and fast each time. I even walked up to order at Docking Bay 7 as there was nobody in line.
                                  -I didn't appreciate that the Starbucks at DCA only had 2 cashiers working, one for each side. That line was about a 30 + minute wait as a result, but I got to chat with some pretty cool people in line. Comparatively, the Disneyland Starbucks was a 15-20 minute wait.
                                  -The 7am and 12pm ride reservation time slots are really tough to come by. They are gone in mere seconds. I never got one at the 7am time slot, only the 12pm and didn't get to experience the Web Slingers ride. Maybe next time.
                                  -Ate at Carthay for the first time and also met the infamous Maynard for the first time at the Tiki Room :-D

Overall, a super memorable and magical trip and so much fun! I want it to always be this amazing!

Facebook me!
                                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                    I was there July 3rd and 4th and my sentiments/takeaways are this:

-It was "crowded" but this did not mean that lines were long. I never saw a wait over 1 hour and I never waited more than 30 mins for any attraction, in fact in the morning and evenings, many rides were walk ons. I thoroughly enjoyed this as I was able to accomplish SO MUCH.
                                    -The app wait times seemed mostly accurate to me, but I felt like I had to be on my phone way too much throughout the day. Thank goodness for backup battery packs.
                                    -I did notice the Cast Members who were bubbly and enthusiastic, they stood out as shining stars compared to the ones who were not enthused, irritated, tired, etc. I work in customer service so I completely understand that you might work with a difficult customer and it puts you in a mood. But it was a drastic difference, the ones that you could joke with and share a smile and the ones who just weren't having it.
                                    -I didn't notice dirty bathrooms and actually saw many custodial team members cleaning up often all around the parks.
                                    -On the 4th, Disneyland experienced a power outage on the west side of the park, this included Rise and was the reason my group got bumped for the day. Thankfully I had ridden the previous day. It was working perfectly in my experience.
                                    -The train had really long stops and made the round trip circle tour nearly an hour long as a result. I was happy to ride it, but spent most of the time just waiting in my seat at the stops.
                                    -Got to sit on the porch on Main Street for breakfast which is ALWAYS occupied.
                                    -It was pretty hot and I took several breaks which was okay since I never felt rushed and got to experience everything that I wanted to. The beauty of no Fastpass and AP's :-)
                                    -This trip almost reminded me of the old "off seasons".
                                    -My mobile order experience was seamless and fast each time. I even walked up to order at Docking Bay 7 as there was nobody in line.
                                    -I didn't appreciate that the Starbucks at DCA only had 2 cashiers working, one for each side. That line was about a 30 + minute wait as a result, but I got to chat with some pretty cool people in line. Comparatively, the Disneyland Starbucks was a 15-20 minute wait.
                                    -The 7am and 12pm ride reservation time slots are really tough to come by. They are gone in mere seconds. I never got one at the 7am time slot, only the 12pm and didn't get to experience the Web Slingers ride. Maybe next time.
                                    -Ate at Carthay for the first time and also met the infamous Maynard for the first time at the Tiki Room :-D

Overall, a super memorable and magical trip and so much fun! I want it to always be this amazing!

If only it would stay like this..........

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post

If only it would stay like this..........
                                      I 1000% agree! This is the best time I've had at Disneyland in a while.

Facebook me!
                                      Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

Originally posted by the-reason14 View Post

While I definitely agree with what you’re saying, I think it’s also important for us to remember these people are human. If Disneyland is anything like a lot of businesses and restaurants that are now open across the country, then it’s apparent the current climate is different. Being understaffed and expected to perform the duties of 3 people when you’re just 1 would cause anyone to be irritable. I know Disney prides itself in service, and “bad” CMs existed before the pandemic. I just think it’s important for us to be more understanding during these times. And if a lot of those CMs were to simply look for a different line of work, we may not have anyone working there to help us.
                                        Well, my view on work is that a job is not supposed to be leisure. There is a reason it is called "work", and being tasked with MORE work than you may think you can accomplish is how most jobs are. Labor is a costly expense, so it is natural for management to want to get MORE work from fewer employees; it is one of the best ways to be profitable. Far better to have a single employee doing the amount of work which two employees might do comfortably, so making workers a bit uncomfortable; when has that not ever been a reality?

My suspicion with Disney CMs in general, is that many seek that job with an incorrect expectation of what their employment there is going to be like. I believe MANY feel that "the happiest place on Earth" means that working there should all be about fun and games. NOPE! Doesn't work that way. They should be working hard, they should be challenged to do more with less, they should not be coasting through their shift, and YES they need to do all that with a happy face and good attitude in front of customers.

I'm retired now, but I always preferred to do the work of two or three people when I was working. Just my nature to be the hardest worker in the group, and it meant that I was of great value to my employers. When times got lean and layoffs occurred, being the guy who could do the work of 3 people meant job security. And for me it was a matter of pride. I also enjoyed making other employees look bad--- the ones who were lazy and/or entitled.

Hard work is a good thing. Easy work only breeds complacency and inefficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by savarese04 View Post
                                          ...My biggest problem was park and bathrooms. Every bathroom we went in, the sinks didn't work (trickling out water) and the urinals were all constantly running. The toilet stalls were clean, but everything else was just absolutely gross. The Space Mountain bathrooms looked liked they belonged in a ballpark. it was that bad.

Also, the ground looked like WDW. Our joke in the family is you can throw popcorn on the ground and someone will pick it up before the birds get to it. This trip, there were leaves everywhere, food wrappers in all the lines, leftover water bottles and food in the boats on the rides, it was incredible....
                                          From today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

"The custodial department is suffering from serious morale issues right now, as traditional time/equipment-intensive processes (like the deep cleaning of kitchens, stores, and restrooms) are being pushed from the more expensive 3rd shift to daytime cast in order to save a very small amount of money. The union updated custodial cast over the weekend about Disney’s resistance to make the necessary changes to restore the 3rd shift.

"The rumor among some cast is that Disney may be setting Custodial up to fail so they can replace them with 3rd party contractors. But even Walt Disney himself replaced a 3rd party company with his own workers so he could better ensure quality and show conditions in the park. We hope those rumors do not pan out. That would be a huge setback for guest service at the resort.

"...We’re keeping a very close eye on these related issues as they unfold. But we are starting to feel like it’s time for guests, unions, and cast to all push back on decisions that impact guest experience, show, and job satisfaction. If your Disneyland experience doesn’t live up to your expectations or the price you paid (hotels, restaurants, or theme parks), please speak up. Disney has a terrible habit of thinking their guests are willing to pay whatever price and put up with whatever hoops and conditions… until they are met with overwhelming negative feedback. If something important to your Disney experience has gone missing, now is the time to speak up before it becomes standard operating procedure and never returns."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X