Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Honest Review of July 6th 2021

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

    From today's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

    "The custodial department is suffering from serious morale issues right now, as traditional time/equipment-intensive processes (like the deep cleaning of kitchens, stores, and restrooms) are being pushed from the more expensive 3rd shift to daytime cast in order to save a very small amount of money. The union updated custodial cast over the weekend about Disney’s resistance to make the necessary changes to restore the 3rd shift.

    "The rumor among some cast is that Disney may be setting Custodial up to fail so they can replace them with 3rd party contractors. But even Walt Disney himself replaced a 3rd party company with his own workers so he could better ensure quality and show conditions in the park. We hope those rumors do not pan out. That would be a huge setback for guest service at the resort.

    "...We’re keeping a very close eye on these related issues as they unfold. But we are starting to feel like it’s time for guests, unions, and cast to all push back on decisions that impact guest experience, show, and job satisfaction. If your Disneyland experience doesn’t live up to your expectations or the price you paid (hotels, restaurants, or theme parks), please speak up. Disney has a terrible habit of thinking their guests are willing to pay whatever price and put up with whatever hoops and conditions… until they are met with overwhelming negative feedback. If something important to your Disney experience has gone missing, now is the time to speak up before it becomes standard operating procedure and never returns."
    I feel for those cast members. I hope Disney does them right and the company doesn't let them suffer any longer than they should, or else they'll (again) see a lot of good people leaving out the front door, and creating even MORE of a problem than before.

    It's also validating to hear others having the same experience as I did. I know I can sometimes be a bit picky, but I'm reminded that it's good to be sincere and mention the negatives so others aren't tricked into dropping mad money on a not-so-premium experience.

    Disneyland is a great place, but it's in a weird spot where the product can't justify the price, especially when it comes to repeated visits at that specific price point.
    Last edited by Captain Andy; 07-12-2021, 01:09 PM.

    Comment


    • #42
      Perhaps if Disney had not abandoned traditional fairy tales as their main stock in trade, they would remember the cautionary tale of the Goose That Laid Golden Eggs. Guest satisfaction and CM dedication together comprise the goose. Kill that, and there will be no more golden eggs...ever.
      Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Karalora View Post
        Perhaps if Disney had not abandoned traditional fairy tales as their main stock in trade, they would remember the cautionary tale of the Goose That Laid Golden Eggs. Guest satisfaction and CM dedication together comprise the goose. Kill that, and there will be no more golden eggs...ever.
        Bingo.

        The problem for guests and CMs is that Disney's revolving-door management doesn't care about "ever." They care about the next quarter's Profit & Loss statement and what it means to the stock price.

        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #44
          Thanks for the report. We're considering going in the next couple of weeks. Even before the pandemic, line estimates could be wildly off. Of course for the rides that had FP, my ability to estimate the line won't be any good anymore, but I know there were days where Mater or Luigi would say 30 minutes and I could look at the line and knew it was only about 10. I wonder if they were using ride timers on your day or how often they were using them? I had a friend there a couple days ago and they got a ride timer.

          Honestly, I never found the walk from M&F bad and we generally would walk it both ways anyway. In the morning the line for the tram could be 30-40 minutes and it's a 10 minute walk that did not involve unloading our stroller. Same for the way back. And coming from the south, we had to go out of the way to get into M&F and avoid the bus drama at Toy Story and what was the horrible security screening wait at Harbor (which I know they screen you at the lot now). I actually feel bummed that our express lane into the park is now the route everyone has to take because we loved the 2 minute wait for screening by the old ESPN Zone.

          I agree on mobile ordering. We used it before the pandemic, but it was never much fun trying to figure it out and finding a place with a decent return time.

          Comment


          • #45
            I've decided to follow up since I made a visit on Wednesday, October 6th, 2021, and it was a huge improvement compared to the trip report in July.

            Backstory, because I wasn't intending to visit until they brought back Fantasmic! and World of Color –– I was recently offered a dream job I've been working really hard for, and my coworkers wanted me to celebrate. Unfortunately, I'm known to not use my vacation days, but since this new job is at the same company, my coworkers lobbied for me to take a couple of days off, and bought me a park hopper ticket to Disneyland (since I'm that predictable).

            It was kind of a last-minute thing (same week), but I was able to choose the day I wanted to reserve (I wanted to avoid Thursday, being Oogie Boogie day, and Friday, which was already reserved out). I chose Wednesday. I was nervous because, by the looks of the calendar, it seemed like a busy week, and I didn't really want to experience any shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Luckily, that didn't happen.

            PREPARATION AND ARRIVAL
            • DINING –– At the last minute, I was able to secure reservations for Lamplight Lounge for lunch via micedining.com. To my absolute shock, only a few minutes later, a rare Blue Bayou dinner reservation also came up, and I snatched it.
            • VIRTUAL QUEUES –– At 7AM, I secured a ROTR boarding pass. The process is a whole lot easier (they changed it again, but for the better). You can confirm your party before the lottery, which leads to fewer pop-ups on your phone. You just have to tap a button once and you're playing the game. I got an early boarding pass, so it would be one of my first rides for the day. At 12PM, I secured a boarding pass for Webslingers.
            • TRANSPORTATION –– I arrived via the ART shuttle on Harbor Blvd from the Anaheim Train Station, and that alone started my day on a high note. Avoiding the tram walk by all accounts makes the day instantly better. Disneyland was my starting park –– lines were long to get in, but once you were through the gates, Main Street and many of the walkways were pretty well dispersed.

            GUEST EXPERIENCE
            • CROWDS –– A huge improvement. It was a busy day at the park, but by no means was I rubbing shoulders with people. Lines moved at a fast pace. Both guests and CM's were super friendly with one another.
            • RIDE MAINTENANCE –– Ride maintenance was an issue, but it wasn't terrible, and I will explain why –– there were many breakdowns, so it required a bit of hopping around on my part. However, I noticed some rides received facelifts? Indiana Jones had its best day ever in a long time after being down for the morning. The lasers were working, the fire was working, the lighting was working, the snake was nudging a little bit. For Rise of the Resistance, the Kylo Ren animatronics were all working, the cannons were working, all the effects were accounted for. I didn't board a ride this trip and think, "Gosh, who's running this joint?" I was genuinely surprised and very pleased.
            • CLEANLINESS –– The parks are a whole lot cleaner, and I saw more custodial staff out and about. Every bathroom I entered was clean or was in the process of getting clean.
            • CAST MEMBERS –– CMs were a lot calmer, and I was happy to see a lot of them being their cheery selves, especially with their work buds. When I dined, the staff was 10/10. At the Lamplight Lounge, one of the servers asked why I was alone, and I gave them my whole story. They came back with a free drink to celebrate my promotion on the house. That was incredibly sweet. Also more carts were open, which gave Disneyland specifically another feeling of life.
            WEBSLINGERS
            • Surprised to say that it was okay. It's very fun to play with strangers. I also got the highest score on my first try (but my arms hurt quite a bit. It's a workout.)
            • Queue and story are pretty cute. Maybe too many screens for my taste, but I knew that going in.
            CLOSING
            • I dodged Mickey's Mix Magic via dinnertime and that was great. When I left Blue Bayou and the party was over, wait times for all rides plummeted, and I took my shot at all the E-Tickets again. The nighttime crowd was the best, and I was able to marvel at how romantic Disneyland looks with all of its ambiances.
            • I took the ART shuttle back to the train station, and I left feeling very satisfied.

            Genuinely surprised. Maybe it's because it was a solo trip that things felt so smooth, even in the midst of ride breakdowns. The cast members shined like the stars they were, and they deserve so much. Guests were also super kind. I witnessed no meltdowns, and everyone was chatty and happy to be there. I met and spoke to a lot of great people. All in all, good vibes all around.

            I hope this soothes anyone who might be planning a trip in the month of October. P.S. avoid Oogie Boogie maybe.
            Last edited by Captain Andy; 10-07-2021, 11:56 AM.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

              The problem for guests and CMs is that Disney's revolving-door management doesn't care about "ever." They care about the next quarter's Profit & Loss statement and what it means to the stock price.
              Fact...Disney GUESTs and CMs are all but Numbers......
              also Stock Price with numbers and $$$$.$$

              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                I've decided to follow up since I made a visit on Wednesday, October 6th, 2021, and it was a huge improvement compared to the trip report in July.

                Backstory, because I wasn't intending to visit until they brought back Fantasmic! and World of Color –– I was recently offered a dream job I've been working really hard for, and my coworkers wanted me to celebrate. Unfortunately, I'm known to not use my vacation days, but since this new job is at the same company, my coworkers lobbied for me to take a couple of days off, and bought me a park hopper ticket to Disneyland (since I'm that predictable).

                It was kind of a last-minute thing (same week), but I was able to choose the day I wanted to reserve (I wanted to avoid Thursday, being Oogie Boogie day, and Friday, which was already reserved out). I chose Wednesday. I was nervous because, by the looks of the calendar, it seemed like a busy week, and I didn't really want to experience any shoulder-to-shoulder crowds. Luckily, that didn't happen.

                PREPARATION AND ARRIVAL
                • DINING –– At the last minute, I was able to secure reservations for Lamplight Lounge for lunch via micedining.com. To my absolute shock, only a few minutes later, a rare Blue Bayou dinner reservation also came up, and I snatched it.
                • VIRTUAL QUEUES –– At 7AM, I secured a ROTR boarding pass. The process is a whole lot easier (they changed it again, but for the better). You can confirm your party before the lottery, which leads to fewer pop-ups on your phone. You just have to tap a button once and you're playing the game. I got an early boarding pass, so it would be one of my first rides for the day. At 12PM, I secured a boarding pass for Webslingers.
                • TRANSPORTATION –– I arrived via the ART shuttle on Harbor Blvd from the Anaheim Train Station, and that alone started my day on a high note. Avoiding the tram walk by all accounts makes the day instantly better. Disneyland was my starting park –– lines were long to get in, but once you were through the gates, Main Street and many of the walkways were pretty well dispersed.

                GUEST EXPERIENCE
                • CROWDS –– A huge improvement. It was a busy day at the park, but by no means was I rubbing shoulders with people. Lines moved at a fast pace. Both guests and CM's were super friendly with one another.
                • RIDE MAINTENANCE –– Ride maintenance was an issue, but it wasn't terrible, and I will explain why –– there were many breakdowns, so it required a bit of hopping around on my part. However, I noticed some rides received facelifts? Indiana Jones had its best day ever in a long time after being down for the morning. The lasers were working, the fire was working, the lighting was working, the snake was nudging a little bit. For Rise of the Resistance, the Kylo Ren animatronics were all working, the cannons were working, all the effects were accounted for. I didn't board a ride this trip and think, "Gosh, who's running this joint?" I was genuinely surprised and very pleased.
                • CLEANLINESS –– The parks are a whole lot cleaner, and I saw more custodial staff out and about. Every bathroom I entered was clean or was in the process of getting clean.
                • CAST MEMBERS –– CMs were a lot calmer, and I was happy to see a lot of them being their cheery selves, especially with their work buds. When I dined, the staff was 10/10. At the Lamplight Lounge, one of the servers asked why I was alone, and I gave them my whole story. They came back with a free drink to celebrate my promotion on the house. That was incredibly sweet. Also more carts were open, which gave Disneyland specifically another feeling of life.
                WEBSLINGERS
                • Surprised to say that it was okay. It's very fun to play with strangers. I also got the highest score on my first try (but my arms hurt quite a bit. It's a workout.)
                • Queue and story are pretty cute. Maybe too many screens for my taste, but I knew that going in.
                CLOSING
                • I dodged Mickey's Mix Magic via dinnertime and that was great. When I left Blue Bayou and the party was over, wait times for all rides plummeted, and I took my shot at all the E-Tickets again. The nighttime crowd was the best, and I was able to marvel at how romantic Disneyland looks with all of its ambiances.
                • I took the ART shuttle back to the train station, and I left feeling very satisfied.

                Genuinely surprised. Maybe it's because it was a solo trip that things felt so smooth, even in the midst of ride breakdowns. The cast members shined like the stars they were, and they deserve so much. Guests were also super kind. I witnessed no meltdowns, and everyone was chatty and happy to be there. I met and spoke to a lot of great people. All in all, good vibes all around.

                I hope this soothes anyone who might be planning a trip in the month of October. P.S. avoid Oogie Boogie maybe.
                Thank you for a thorough review. Haven’t been to the parks in a while. Maybe 5 yrs ago when my husband and I had gratis park hoppers/parking, from co-worker, when he had Disney contract. [They get a gift booklet every year, so maybe group of 8-12 for the 3 years we went] had meals at Blue Bayou. group had to convince me to eat there?! Free .
                another year, restaurant with Disney princesses all around. Another year , Italian place with wine, then Karl Strauss place for beer /snacks for the guys??

                First visit, recently, was end of September , evening after 6Pm. (Open until MN) CM said crowds were average post Covid, but would of been considered empty in 2019.
                wait times for rides were extremely short, from no wait to about 20 minutes? patrons and CM pleasant. Park clean.
                Have AP, have reservations for Oct., Nov, Dec. (Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday) . couldn’t wait, able to reservation 9/29 the week before.
                walk back to parking structures somewhat monotonous, hope trams are able to return.No fireworks midweek. Jolly Holiday runs out of seasonal items early in the morning. They had stopped mobile ordering for those items by 8:30 am that day. Had meal at La Brea Bakery after 30 minute wait. Service/food good. Shopped at a few stores on Main Street.

                appreciate all the different views, experiences, and TIPs from this site.



                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by InTheRealm View Post

                  Thank you for a thorough review. Haven’t been to the parks in a while. Maybe 5 yrs ago when my husband and I had gratis park hoppers/parking, from co-worker, when he had Disney contract. [They get a gift booklet every year, so maybe group of 8-12 for the 3 years we went] had meals at Blue Bayou. group had to convince me to eat there?! Free .
                  another year, restaurant with Disney princesses all around. Another year , Italian place with wine, then Karl Strauss place for beer /snacks for the guys??

                  First visit, recently, was end of September , evening after 6Pm. (Open until MN) CM said crowds were average post Covid, but would of been considered empty in 2019.
                  wait times for rides were extremely short, from no wait to about 20 minutes? patrons and CM pleasant. Park clean.
                  Have AP, have reservations for Oct., Nov, Dec. (Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday) . couldn’t wait, able to reservation 9/29 the week before.
                  walk back to parking structures somewhat monotonous, hope trams are able to return.No fireworks midweek. Jolly Holiday runs out of seasonal items early in the morning. They had stopped mobile ordering for those items by 8:30 am that day. Had meal at La Brea Bakery after 30 minute wait. Service/food good. Shopped at a few stores on Main Street.

                  appreciate all the different views, experiences, and TIPs from this site.


                  Oh, anytime! Yes, I agree with you –– every experience is different, and every day is different. I did learn after the fact that Ken and John were walking around the parks the night prior to my visit, so that could explain why things felt extra pristine. However, judging by how CMs were feeling that day, and how many I saw on the field, I'm feeling optimistic about Disney's future. Again, and this is my personal belief, Disney's CMs are the key to a magical day at the park. Disney should invest more into them because with what they delivered the day of my visit, they made the price of the ticket worth it. Attractions are secondary.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Thank you for your trip report, Captain Andy! I always enjoy how thorough and honest you are!

                    I was there yesterday, and the crowds were pretty bad. I like to go on Thursdays because they tend to be less busy (and I can occasionally get a break from classes), but yesterday surprised me with how busy it was! I'm glad to hear that they weren't as bad earlier in the week .

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by O'Malley the Alley Cat View Post
                      Thank you for your trip report, Captain Andy! I always enjoy how thorough and honest you are!

                      I was there yesterday, and the crowds were pretty bad. I like to go on Thursdays because they tend to be less busy (and I can occasionally get a break from classes), but yesterday surprised me with how busy it was! I'm glad to hear that they weren't as bad earlier in the week .
                      Thank you for the kind comment! Yes, I had that same fear with any day that corresponded with Oogie Boogie –– I was told that many of the participants actually purchase day tickets, and stay on property for the event, which leads to a little more hustle and bustle than usual. Definitely recommend avoiding holiday party days when you can!

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Thanks, I’ll have to keep that in mind!!

                        Comment

                        Get Away Today Footer

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X