Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Subs Go, What Should We Do with the Lagoon?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fun] If the Subs Go, What Should We Do with the Lagoon?

Feelin' Goofy, so I thought I'd come up with a non-exhaustive list of a half dozen ideas for what to do with the lagoon if Disneyland removes the Finding Nemo subs. Have at them, and by all means add your own!
    (1) Turn the sub tracks into an aquarium-type underwater walkthrough made of reinforced glass. Keep and add to the practical and projection effects that are already there for Finding Nemo, maybe adding a small jump scare of Bruce swimming toward the glass and veering off at the last second. Alternate effects and projections so it is a different experience each time.

(2) Install majestic nighttime fountains like the Bellagio, except with Disney-colored flavor. Light up Tomorrowland with bursts of color and mist for those hot summer evenings. Think WOC on a smaller scale, production wise, without the annoying reservation system and overpriced boxed dinners.

(3) Zipline from Matterhorn to Autopia, over the lagoon with some or all of the above installed. Tinkerbell wings loaned at no extra charge.

(4) Moana bumper boats attraction with unexpected fountains popping up during the five-minute frenzy.

(5) Install a wave machine that periodically sends a rogue wave splashing over guests waiting in line for the Matterhorn.

(6) Two words: Amphibian Autopia!
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

They're not going anywhere: https://www.reddit.com/r/Disneyland/..._back_up_this/

Comment

I think they want to remove them but they also want the next CEO to have to deal with the cost as no current CEO is willing to take the hit on their bonus to approve that huge expenditure. Basically the Subs like Autopia are safe as long as it remains so expensive to convert them to new attraction worthy of the space.

I would love to see the entire area converted to a trackless Autopia (using sensors) that intertwines through two other large E-ticket attraction one water based and another land based. They could have a Tron style coaster on the TL side next to a Zootopia ride that makes the transition from Tomorrow to Fantasy land since DLR is addicted to IP usage in every new attraction.
      Last edited by Starcade; 07-12-2021, 01:40 PM.
      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I'm more interested in the space for the nice visuals of the lagoon rather than a ride there. If they can't figure out some ride that can be unobtrusive, then I'd want something that can still give it the feeling of openness that you get when you walk by that section.

Comment

I'd like to see Nemo and friends evicted. I found the previous sub incarnation more engaging and thought provoking. I prefer to be immersed in an environment and let my imagination go instead of being bombarded by contrived storylines and back-stories.

Comment

Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post
            I never let the facts get in the way of my fantasies.

Comment

Originally posted by SillySpook View Post
              Feelin' Goofy, so I thought I'd come up with a non-exhaustive list of a half dozen ideas for what to do with the lagoon if Disneyland removes the Finding Nemo subs. Have at them, and by all means add your own!
              (1) Turn the sub tracks into an aquarium-type underwater walkthrough made of reinforced glass. Keep and add to the practical and projection effects that are already there for Finding Nemo, maybe adding a small jump scare of Bruce swimming toward the glass and veering off at the last second. Alternate effects and projections so it is a different experience each time.

(2) Install majestic nighttime fountains like the Bellagio, except with Disney-colored flavor. Light up Tomorrowland with bursts of color and mist for those hot summer evenings. Think WOC on a smaller scale, production wise, without the annoying reservation system and overpriced boxed dinners.

(3) Zipline from Matterhorn to Autopia, over the lagoon with some or all of the above installed. Tinkerbell wings loaned at no extra charge.

(4) Moana bumper boats attraction with unexpected fountains popping up during the five-minute frenzy.

(5) Install a wave machine that periodically sends a rogue wave splashing over guests waiting in line for the Matterhorn.

I hope the subs stay, but a lot of these ideas sound really cool!

I think I would prefer something like 2) but with a performance space for Tomorrowland bands in the evening?

Comment

I never thought about this but my dream of a amphitheater area that could house both a live day time stage show that could then collapse giving way for viewing a Fantasmic style evening show could actually work on this location though a big hurdle would be the Monorail track that goes across the middle of it. I truly think though that current management is only willing to bring in shows if they extend the average time spent in the parks for guests such as the nighttime F! and fireworks do otherwise they see shows as a waste of budget since it puts gusts in a seat for too long where they can't be shopping or eating. Sometimes I feel like Dole Whip sales are the only thing keeping the Tiki Room from being dozed.
                Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                  I never thought about this but my dream of a amphitheater area that could house both a live day time stage show that could then collapse giving way for viewing a Fantasmic style evening show could actually work on this location though a big hurdle would be the Monorail track that goes across the middle of it. I truly think though that current management is only willing to bring in shows if they extend the average time spent in the parks for guests such as the nighttime F! and fireworks do otherwise they see shows as a waste of budget since it puts gusts in a seat for too long where they can't be shopping or eating. Sometimes I feel like Dole Whip sales are the only thing keeping the Tiki Room from being dozed.
                  That, and there's not enough space there for them to put in much else in. The same armor Mr Toad has.

Though I think the issue is less that it's a show or unpopular, and more that it's not themed to whatever franchise they're trying to push.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post

That, and there's not enough space there for them to put in much else in. The same armor Mr Toad has.

Though I think the issue is less that it's a show or unpopular, and more that it's not themed to whatever franchise they're trying to push.
                    Here's hoping the space issue prevents Disney from doing anything to Tiki Room. Given how little it probably costs to run, and that Dole Whip is helping offset that cost, I see no reason to remove one of the greatest treasures of the Park.

Comment

Originally posted by SillySpook View Post

I still think they should remove the Little Mermaid ride from DCA and put a better version of it in the Subs space. The lagoon can be the "Kiss The Girl" lagoon, and the underwater section can be converted to an aquarium dark ride type of track system, where you go Under The Sea for those bits of the story. The ride vehicle can be a small Disneyland version of those Duck Boats, but made to look like a rowboat. It would be like a rowboat on a motorized track, so it could go both "under the sea" and on the water of the lagoon.

Comment

I'd love for them to attempt to do a 20KLUTS attraction like TDL has now. Keep most of the lagoon and just use the existing building for the attraction, or possibly add on to it if need be and just downsize the current lagoon to half the size it presently is just for the queue area and for ambience for the surrounding area.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post
                          I'd love for them to attempt to do a 20KLUTS attraction like TDL has now. Keep most of the lagoon and just use the existing building for the attraction, or possibly add on to it if need be and just downsize the current lagoon to half the size it presently is just for the queue area and for ambience for the surrounding area.
                          With the visual technology they now have, this would have the potential of being fantastic. But I doubt DL will want to go back to Jules Verne (which if I recall correctly was the original inspiration for Submarine Voyage). The Nemo theming isn't all that bad, it's just that so much got lost in the execution by attempting to recreate an actual submarine experience, IMO.

Comment

^ With apologies for historical nit-picking -- Disneyland's Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space was inspired not by Jules Verne, but by the world-wide interest in the first nuclear submarine, USS Nautilus, and its famous voyage under the polar ice cap. The public excitement over this feat of technology would not be topped until the first launches of astronauts into space. The submarines of Disneyland's original fleet were named after the nuclear subs of that era.

As a side note, Disneyland's 1959 Submarine Voyage was another example of Walt's preference for attractions that supported the themes of their lands instead of always promoting movies. Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a major box-office hit when Disneyland was being built, yet the Submarines did not promote the film.
                            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-19-2021, 01:41 PM.
                            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by DCACM View Post
                              I'd like to see Nemo and friends evicted. I found the previous sub incarnation more engaging and thought provoking. I prefer to be immersed in an environment and let my imagination go instead of being bombarded by contrived storylines and back-stories.
                              I like your concept.......but sure today Disney would not go along-SADLY
                              IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                ^ With apologies for historical nit-picking -- Disneyland's Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space was inspired not by Jules Verne, but by the world-wide interest in the , USS Nautilus, and its famous voyage under the polar ice cap. The public excitement over this feat of technology would not be topped until the first launches of astronauts into space. The submarines of Disneyland's original fleet were named after the nuclear subs of that era.

As a side note, Disneyland's 1959 Submarine Voyage was another example of Walt's preference for attractions that supported the themes of their lands instead of always promoting movies. Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a major box-office hit when Disneyland was being built, yet the Submarines did not promote the film.
                                You know your HISTORY........Right

Side Note: there was a indoor walk thru , of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
                                "Walt Disney" put in to fill a space in Tomorrowland .1955

Disneyland's Submarine Voyage Adventure thru Liquid Space
                                came at the same time as the Matterhood,
                                and the Monorail . 1959
                                Last edited by Eagleman; 07-19-2021, 07:41 PM.
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Drain the lagoon and fill it with plush toys, all for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Leaky War Canoe View Post
                                    Drain the lagoon and fill it with plush toys, all for sale.
                                    LOL. Knowing the bean counters, they would install a giant "claw toy" and make each guest pay a dollar to try and nab a plushy.

Comment

Pee in it?

Comment

Turn it into a massive swimming pool with an annual cast member water polo tournament.
                                        Disney visits over the years:
                                        • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                                        • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                                        • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                                        • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                                        • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                                        • Disneyland, August 2007
                                        • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                                        • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                                        • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                                        • Disneyland, June 2013
                                        • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                                        • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                                        • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                                        • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X