X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karalora
    replied
    Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

Believe it or not, the bridge and entrance to Pirates were done in '86 when they put in the now defunct Disney Gallery upstairs.
    That would explain why I don't actually remember it the old way. I was only 9 in '86 and we didn't go often enough for me to memorize things like how the walkways looked.

Leave a comment:

• DarthBrett78
    replied
    Originally posted by Karalora View Post
    I think the bridge in front of Pirates went in at the same time.
    Believe it or not, the bridge and entrance to Pirates were done in '86 when they put in the now defunct Disney Gallery upstairs.

I'm going to try and keep my upgrades and downgrades in the post-1970s-era since I wasn't even born until 1978

Upgrades
    1) Indiana Jones Adventure
    2) New '83/'84 Fantasyland
    3) Splash Mountain
    4) Radiator Springs
    5) Buena Vista Street (so glad when they did this. 1 million x better)

Downgrades
    1) New Tomorrowland '98 (specifically the Rocket Rods replacing the PeopleMover and placing the Rocket Jets down to the entrance of Tomorrowland)
    2) Putting a glorified RV show like exhibit into to the carousel building (Innoventions) and then a glorified shop (Launch Bay). This should be an attraction in that massive buiding. If not, 2 attractions!
    3) Mission: BREAKOUT! (I enjoy MB, it is indeed a lot of fun. But come on, let's not kid ourselves, ToT was infinitely a lot better in nearly every aspect even though it was a neutered version of Florida's)
    4) Pixar Pier
    5) Removing the Motorboat Cruise and doing absolutely nothing with that entire real estate

Tons of honorable mentions for me

Upgrades:
    Star Tours
    Galaxy's Edge
    Rivers of America update in '19
    Fantasmic!
    Space Mtn redo in 2005 (except for the removal of the old queue windows)
    Matterhorn upgrades in both '78 and '12
    Paradise Pier redo in 2008
    The Little Mermaid in DCA
    Hatbox Ghost in HM
    Tropical Hideaway
    updating the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough in '08/09
    the addition of the Bengal Barbeque in '91
    adding Mickey's ToonTown in '93 and Roger Rabbit in '94
    it's a Small World Holiday overlay
    the Grand Californian
    adding Trader Sam's at the hotel
    the Monorail pool at the DLH
    adding the holiday and summer vacation versions of the Country Bear Jamboree
    replacing Circle-Vision 360 theater with Astro Blasters (I like both, but I do think an actual attraction is better than a standing only movie in TL)
    Red Rose Tavern (menu and food are infinitely way better than the old Pinocchio Village Haus, though I prefer the Pinocchio theme)
    replacing Superstar Limo with Monsters, Inc,
    adding Lamplight Lounge (Ariel's Grotto was space that was sort of being wasted, glad they are properly using it now)
    Big Thunder Ranch (it was nice to see the space finally being used when it opened)
    Cpt EO replacing Magic Journeys
    upgrading the Frontiereland Shooting Gallery in the mid '80s
    adding Disney characters to IASW (I am in the minority on this one, but I actually like that they did this. I love the one in Tokyo where there are even more!)
    Dumbo receiving a covered queue area
    FL Faire
    Combining the FL and TL Autopia into one giant Autopia (very smart move. Now if they would just upgrade Autopia to be themed, electric and trackless!)

Downgrades:
    Adding the PotC movie stuff into the attraction
    replacing the MSEP with Light Magic
    adding Nemo to the submarines (though this did resurrect the attraction, so it's a plus and minus)
    removing the Skyway in '94
    removing Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer's Island
    closing the Disney Gallery in NOS and turning it into a stupid suite for only millionaire celebrities to sporadically use
    replacing the Polynesian Terrace with Aladdin's Oasis in '93
    changing the Swiss Family Treehouse into Tarzan's Treehouse (I get why they did it, but I still don't like it)
    adding HMH overlay (I originally loved it back in the early 2000s, but it has definitely worn out it's welcome for me now)
    closing SH55 (RIP)
    removing the giant marina at the DLH for the major late '90s redo
    closing the old Monorail Cafe and not replacing it with something similar
    replacing CBJ with Pooh (it's not that I dislike the Pooh attraction, but they could have spent more on it and made it a real A+ dark ride had they wanted to)
    turning the Mission to Mars area into a restaurant (should have gotten a new attraction instead)
    turning the 3-D theatre into a glorified movie trailer (should be an attraction)
    closing Starcade down (should be a restaurant and this is where Pizza Port should have probably gone in)
    failing to utilize the space where the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire building is located (that entire area for that matter)
    closing the old Adventureland shooting gallery
    Losing Skull Rock and the Chicken of the Sea ship in FL
    Closing the Plaza Pavilion and turning into the AP area (thankfully, they put in Jolly Holiday, but the old restaurant was better)
    Closing the old Tomorrowland Terrace underneath Space Mtn, should bring a new counter service back there themed to Space Mtn
    Changing Soarin' in 2016 (original version is 100000x better in every single way)

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

I’ll miss it.
    I LOL when I saw the Avengers tag on the photo!

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I used to think Heimlich's Choo Choo was the most boring ride I had ever gone on as it practically would fit into many peoples backyard it was such a small, short and slooooooww ride. That being said I would bring it back and remove Web Slingers in a heartbeat. When my girl's were younger we would ride during each visit because they enjoyed it and it had some neat features like the theming and scale etc.which made it worthy of a Disney park attraction.

Leave a comment:

• Jesser-pie
    replied
    Originally posted by JoFi View Post
    Upgrades
    1) DLRR (Train trestle, etc)
    2) Fantasyland '83
    3) Cars Land
    4) No more ticket books
    5)Addition of DTD and a second gate

Downgrades:
    1) Removing the Peoplemover
    2) Removing ATIS
    3) Removal of Carousel of Progress
    4) Jack Sparrow
    5) Heimlich's Choo Choo > Web Slingers
    I’ll miss it.

Leave a comment:

• JoFi
    replied
    Upgrades
    1) DLRR (Train trestle, etc)
    2) Fantasyland '83
    3) Cars Land
    4) No more ticket books
    5)Addition of DTD and a second gate

Downgrades:
    1) Removing the Peoplemover
    2) Removing ATIS
    3) Removal of Carousel of Progress
    4) Jack Sparrow
    ​​​​​​​5) Heimlich's Choo Choo > Web Slingers

Leave a comment:

• phoenix16
    replied
    I haven't been doing Disneyland as long as others, but I have to agree with a lot of them.

To me, a bug's land to Avengers Campus was horrible. They took out 4 kiddie rides, a fun 3D movie (which admittedly only played half the time and to mostly empty theaters) and a play area for one ride (which I have not ridden but it's the same mechanism as Legoland Ninjago which I really don't like as my arm gets tired) and a 'meh' theme. I wish Disney hadn't messed up with their plans for the new resort hotel and scrubbed the plan to repurpose the back lot area and the bus drop off from TS Parking lot and left bug's. They also took out one of the rare areas of shade.

ATIS is the one ride that I really remember from a trip to the park when I was about 7. While I enjoy Star Tours (both iterations), and I get wanting to bring something as popular as Star Wars into the park, I think it's been the beginning of the shift to simulators. That's one thing I don't like about Universal, the lack of real rides (just 4 if you count the Dumbo style ride). I love Carsland because they are all real rides. But while I love SWGE and the Falcon ride, both rides are screen based (at least what little I've seen about Rise as I still haven't had a chance to ride it). Spidey is a screen ride and I fear the second ride will be as well. At least Guardians is screens integrated into a real ride.

so for me based on semi-regular attendance from 2004 on:

Upgrades:
    1. Carsland
    2. Hyperspace Mountain (though I know it's not permanent and only intermittent)
    3. Pixar Pier
    4. Haunted Mansion Holiday
    5. World of Color (though in all honesty everything that has been done to DCA since it opened is an upgrade, but I still miss Mission Tortilla Factory, but Ghiradelli Ice Cream is an overall plus)

Downgrades:
    1. Avengers Campus taking over a bug's land
    2. Mike and Sully to the Rescue
    3. Complete mishandling of AP program which began with the start of monthly payments that saw costs skyrocket and eventually ended the program because it was too accessible
    4.Ghost Galaxies (so lame and it scared off my kids when little from riding it)
    5. Innoventions. We used to love wandering around in there and exploring the 'house of tomorrow'. Hall of Armor and the Thor Meet and Greet were tops and the energy game was a lot of fun. Now the upstairs is empty and while the Boba Fett meet and greet is cool in the Cantina, we've only ever done the Disney Visa Vader one, which again, cool, but the Star Wars artifacts and shop aren't compelling. Such a huge waste of space in a park where space is at a premium.
    Honorable mention to the rest of Tomorrowland with the wasted pace in the 3D theater, old arcade where you could play Fix it Felix, Jr for free, though I think they turned the upper level of that area into queue for Space Mountain, right? (we rarely did the standby line) Not to mention the travesty that became the Peoplemover before the finally had to kill it.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

1. Bob Chapek - The worst thing to ever happen to Disneyland by a mile, nothing even comes close.
    Why when comes to any thing do with Disney
    "GOT VOTE with the WALLET" !
    I Agree
    Last edited by Eagleman; 07-14-2021, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Originally posted by Blurr View Post

Writing my lists was a pain because I could have just kept going on and on for both of them, honestly.
    It's tricky because to make the thread interesting I didn't want to get too repetitive or obvious. There are a ton of things people have mentioned that I agree with, but didn't really fit the constraints I was dealing with.

Leave a comment:

• Co Foo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Adding an upgrade:

- Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough
    Maybe the most creative and efficient use of space in the park.

Also, I love Maleficent and Eleanor Audley.

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    replied

Oof, yeah. Was that one an unavoidable consequence of the complexity of the effect, or was it due to insufficient maintenance?
    I have heard that Disney simply didn’t want to pay to have it fixed, I’d guess due to poor maintenance. But I can’t confirm one way or another. So they just slapped a projection mapping effect on instead. -and those effects are fine as complimentary items but it definitely doesn’t have the same “how do they do that?” effect on Guests as the shifting room. Projections are pretty but pretty much everyone knows how they’re accomplished.

Leave a comment:

• Karalora
    replied
    Originally posted by Blurr View Post
    -and since I talked praise, I'll even it out with one of my "honorable mention" downgrades, too. The loss of the "Chamber of Destiny" effect at the beginning of the Indiana Jones ride. Tragic. Simply tragic.
    Oof, yeah. Was that one an unavoidable consequence of the complexity of the effect, or was it due to insufficient maintenance?

Leave a comment:

• Blurr
    replied
    I like seeing the love the new Harold animatronics have been getting here. I agree that they are far more imposing and better for the ride than the old ones (as much as I loved them!). This is one of those instances where they really managed to give him some terrifying presence because of how much of his inferred body you don't see. It makes him feel much larger even though we know he's not. Additionally, his movement does the job as you zip by and he has become, arguably, a better figure than the now static Disco Yeti over in Animal Kingdom. These changes would have definitely been on my upgrade list if I had room, too.

-and since I talked praise, I'll even it out with one of my "honorable mention" downgrades, too. The loss of the "Chamber of Destiny" effect at the beginning of the Indiana Jones ride. Tragic. Simply tragic.

Leave a comment:

• DLHMFAN
    replied
    Top 5 upgrades in no particular order:
    1) Addition of the Hatbox Ghost in the Haunted Mansion
    2) Addition of the Michael Giacchino soundtrack in Space Mountain
    3) Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    4) Harold 2.0 animatronics
    5) Current version of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Top 5 downgrades in no particular order
    1) Removal of the Skyway
    2) Shutting down Submarine Voyage
    3) Closing the Rocket Rods down and not replacing it
    4) Having Haunted Mansion close down in August for Haunted Mansion Holiday
    5) Replacing Pirate ship captain in Pirates of the Caribbean with Hector Barbossa

Leave a comment:

• Spongeocto4
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
    1. Bob Chapek - The worst thing to ever happen to Disneyland by a mile, nothing even comes close.
    I disagree. The Pressler/Harriss Era at beginning of the millennium, was more d**ning to the resort than whatever Chapek has done so far. Many attractions were shut down without a replacement. The quality of the Imagineer's projects were mostly in the gutter. And DCA was an immediate critical and financial failure.

And the worse thing overall, was the lack of safety that occurred during this era. Part of the reason was from maintenance being cut back. Multiple people suffered injuries from several attraction incidents. And sadly a few people died during some of these incidents.

I still see this era as the worse for the DLR.
    Last edited by Spongeocto4; 07-13-2021, 11:48 PM. Reason: Last minute editing

Leave a comment:

• Golden Zephyr
    replied
    Upgrades

1. 2012-2015 DCA - Huge improvement and a beautiful 1930s theme
    2. DLRR upgrades - I was concerned, but the upgrade to show quality an the river was really well done
    3. Projection Mapping to firework shows - High quality projections have added a lot
    4. 60th Anniversary Disneyland Forever fireworks- I personally enjoy this show as well as World of Color Celebrate
    5. Paint the Night and Main Street Electrical Parade - Yes I know been done before, but still always fun.

Top Downgrades

5. Loss of Skyway with no comparable attraction
    4. Empty Peoplemover track. - Tomorrowland is so empty when it was once so packed and attraction dense.
    3. Undoing of the 1930's DCA Buena Vista street theme. - DCA had only three years of thematic coherance before "Chapek"
    2. Tawdry upcharges and downgrades of service - Chief among these was the loss of bands and live entertainment, particularly evening shows

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

Adding an upgrade:

Have to say.....Tony Baxter
    Did a great job , fixingWalkthrough .

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Upgrade: Fantasyland '83.

Downgrades:
    - Tomorrowland '98
    - The Mark VII Monorail debacle
    - Spine-destroying Matterhorn sleds
    - Turning the Swiss Family Treehouse into a Tarzan Disney Store display
    - Turning Pirates of the Caribbean into a movie franchise promotion
    - Turning It's a Small World into a Where's Waldo of Disney cartoon characters
    - Turning the Submarine Adventure thru Liquid Space into the Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Video
    - Removing the Skyway
    - Removing the Motorboat Cruise
    - Closing Fort Wilderness
    - Removing Cascade Peak
    - Closing the Court of Angels to the public
    - Closing the One of a Kind Shop
    - Closing the Town Square Cafe
    - Replacing the Tahitian Terrace with Aladdin's Oasis
    - Turning the Main Street Market House into a Starbuck's
    - Turning Carnation Plaza Gardens into a Disney Princesses merch machine
    - Turning the Alpine Gardens into a Tinkerbell franchise promotion
    - Turning the Penny Arcade into a Disney plush merch venue

Adding an upgrade:

Leave a comment:

• bigcatrik
    replied
    I'll limit myself to things I've personally experienced (so nothing from the 50s or 60s).

Upgrades:
    1) Matterhorn 1978 refurb with enclosed tunnels and Yeti.
    2) Switch from ride coupons to pay-one-price.
    3) Fantasmic
    4) Fantasyland '83
    5) Haunted Mansion

Downgrades:
    1) Swapping Rocket Jets for that new thing whose name escapes me and I can't be bothered to look up -- Orbit-something?
    2) Brakes on the Mad Tea Party cups.
    3) APs getting expensive (and now eliminated).
    4) Removal of Adventure Thru Inner Space (have never liked simulators)
    5) Haunted Mansion Holiday

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied

The accident occurred when America Sings was brand-new in 1974. It closed in 1988.
    I recall the accident happen at the same time the attraction just open........
    They added safety measure since ,to the attraction

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X