Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tapdawg View Post

no, profit does.
    Yes profit does matter but less guests means less overall profit. Wall Street doesn't care if you have become more efficient and make far more profit per guest if your overall profit is way down. The bottom line is the bottom line. If Disneyland makes 50 dollars profit per guest after costs it is a massive failure if only 20000 people show up. If they make 20 dollars profit per guest after costs and 70000 people show up, they are 40% more profitable when compared to 50 per guest. Efficiency is irrelevant and detrimental to careers if overall profits suffer. How much total profit Disney makes is all that matters to share holders. Ferrari makes a TON of profit per vehicle sold in comparison to General Motors, but their total profits are nothing when compared to GM which makes well over double the total profit of Ferrari.

Disneyland is a Chevy or maybe a Cadillac on a good day, but they will never be a Ferrari. They cannot afford to be a Ferrari and Chapek will find himself out of work real quick if he tries to turn Disneyland into one.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

Yes profit does matter but less guests means less overall profit. Wall Street doesn't care if you have become more efficient and make far more profit per guest if your overall profit is way down.
      I’m glad you agree it’s about the profits. I’m sorry you don’t know the other half, that’s the part I am referring too. Profit per person is way up and profit overall is also way up. The side benefit is attendance is lower which also gives guest satisfaction higher too.

Comment

I’m glad you agree it’s about the profits. I’m sorry you don’t know the other half, that’s the part I am referring too. Profit per person is way up and profit overall is also way up. The side benefit is attendance is lower which also gives guest satisfaction higher too.
        Please quote the third party numbers and source which states Disneyland Parks overall profit is up? And your telling me people like waiting an hour+ for food, having their choices cut in half and enjoy planing their day out like a trip to the DMV? Do you work for Disney's social media team?

Comment

Please quote the third party numbers and source which states Disneyland Parks overall profit is up? And your telling me people like waiting an hour+ for food, having their choices cut in half and enjoy planing their day out like a trip to the DMV? Do you work for Disney's social media team?
          Yup...exactly!!!

Comment

The side benefit is attendance is lower which also gives guest satisfaction higher too.
            This isn't what I've been hearing the past few weeks. Having spoken with folks who've been there recently, it sounds like attendance is pretty much normal ever since a week after they released the California special tickets. Quite frankly, it's packed. I'm thinking attendance will dip a tad in October (yes, even with Halloween) when those special tickets are done.

Comment

...The side benefit is attendance is lower which also gives guest satisfaction higher too.
              Not according to this week's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

"Crowds have definitely returned, and it feels very close to the typical Summer crowds you remember from the past. Many areas of the resort felt quite congested at times."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Disneyland-fantasyland-crowds-1-of-1.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	8642843

Name:	Disneyland-fantasyland-crowds-stroller-parking-no-room-1-of-1.jpg?w=1024&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	8642844

And about that "higher guest satisfaction"...

"This was the line for mobile order pickup for the Mint Julep Bar. There was no Cast Member helping, and this was the pickup line after you were told your order was ready. There were crowds of people hanging around waiting for the app to tell them their order was ready. It really clogs an already busy area due to traffic from the restrooms, restaurant, and train."

Name:	IMG_3910.jpg?w=810&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	8642845

Yep, Disney management definitely is giving guests more to be satisfied about...

"We’ve previously reported on a labor shift where duties traditionally done by 3rd Shift Custodial were shifted to regular day custodians to do in less time and for less money. ...Much of 3rd Shift Custodial continues to be left on furlough.

"Even as 3rd Shift Custodial languishes on furlough, the custodians you and I see out in the park are increasingly understaffed and overworked. We’ve been noticing a drop in the cleanliness of parts of the parks, overflowing trash cans, dirty restrooms, even dusty vents and things which always seemed to be clean in the past. This seems counterintuitive in a time where increased cleanliness should be a priority.

"To help with the daytime workload deficit, 3rd Shift Custodial is being offered part-time day positions at DCA at the expense of whatever seniority or full-time status they may have had in 3rd Shift. Some have taken the position and they’ve been training this week, but they’ll be punished by being placed at the bottom of the seniority pile after all their years of service doing the thankless task of cleaning up the park after the guests have gone home for the day.

This isn’t a problem exclusive to one department either, cast members in many departments are feeling the squeeze and it’s beginning to hurt the guest experience as well. If you’ve seen restrooms closed before you’ve even exited the park for the day, experienced a lack of housekeeping in your $400+ a night Disney hotel room, had to wait an hour for a mobile order, seen multiple attractions all broken down at the same time, or had Disney Customer Service line hang up on your call because there were too many other guests in queue, you’ve already experienced the squeeze."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

I'm starting to think the user may be trolling, or at least being dishonest. He already admitted to getting information from contacts within Disney, but then also said he's buying stock based on the info he has. It doesn't take a lawyer to know that this is the textbook definition of insider trading, of which any Club 33 member of the requisite income level would be fully aware. Best to just ignore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Not according to this week's MiceChat Disneyland Update:

"Crowds have definitely returned, and it feels very close to the typical Summer crowds you remember from the past. Many areas of the resort felt quite congested at times."

And about that "higher guest satisfaction"...

"This was the line for mobile order pickup for the Mint Julep Bar. There was no Cast Member helping, and this was the pickup line after you were told your order was ready. There were crowds of people hanging around waiting for the app to tell them their order was ready. It really clogs an already busy area due to traffic from the restrooms, restaurant, and train.

Yep, Disney management definitely is giving guests more to be satisfied about...

"We’ve previously reported on a labor shift where duties traditionally done by 3rd Shift Custodial were shifted to regular day custodians to do in less time and for less money. ...Much of 3rd Shift Custodial continues to be left on furlough.

"Even as 3rd Shift Custodial languishes on furlough, the custodians you and I see out in the park are increasingly understaffed and overworked. We’ve been noticing a drop in the cleanliness of parts of the parks, overflowing trash cans, dirty restrooms, even dusty vents and things which always seemed to be clean in the past. This seems counterintuitive in a time where increased cleanliness should be a priority.

"To help with the daytime workload deficit, 3rd Shift Custodial is being offered part-time day positions at DCA at the expense of whatever seniority or full-time status they may have had in 3rd Shift. Some have taken the position and they’ve been training this week, but they’ll be punished by being placed at the bottom of the seniority pile after all their years of service doing the thankless task of cleaning up the park after the guests have gone home for the day.

This isn’t a problem exclusive to one department either, cast members in many departments are feeling the squeeze and it’s beginning to hurt the guest experience as well. If you’ve seen restrooms closed before you’ve even exited the park for the day, experienced a lack of housekeeping in your $400+ a night Disney hotel room, had to wait an hour for a mobile order, seen multiple attractions all broken down at the same time, or had Disney Customer Service line hang up on your call because there were too many other guests in queue, you’ve already experienced the squeeze."

Silver-lining here: now Disney loyalists can't blame APs for the chaos, they can only blame Disney.

Comment

I find it very "interesting" that with parks seemingly packed right now based on all forms of social media ( photos / video ) that I still received an email about 5 minutes ago trying to convince me to return the parks from the Disney Destinations email group. It was very much worded as to basically say "PLEEEEEEASE come back we promise it's just as fun as before, don't you miss us, we miss you..." Nothing compelling other than we are here and you are not yet. Very little if anything about the new updates to several attractions just mentioning briefly that they were "re-opening". There was frankly more about reservations and the Covid vaccine recommendations then there was any focus on anything else second most discussed topic was how to get a reservation for the upcoming Oogie Boogie Bash but in the end it was truly weak from a marketing stand point. An e-blast with very little to compel anyone to pull the trigger on a trip to the park and I think somebody phoned it in. I have done hundreds of these e-blasts over the course of my career and I am frankly shocked at how weak this one is from such a media powerhouse. They have enough meat right now to spin quite a compelling argument to those not aware of just how limited the current park experience is and they failed to do it. I noticed this was sent from the Florida offices and I definitely felt the composer had a disconnect to the parks this is the type of stuff that we will see more and more of once a big chunk of the creative dept. is forced to Florida.

So I take from this even a crowded park is not bringing in the metrics they need on their reports. I knew we would hit a tipping point by end of year maybe beginning on next but I am actually a lil surprised we are seeing signs of it so soon. Also there is a rumors thanks to the unvaccinated OC may follow the lead of LA and go to mask requirements in indoor settings and Universal has had to re-instate their mask policy I know DLR had a spike once mask restrictions were lifted I wonder if they come back will we see a drop in attendance? At this point maybe masks will actually create a rise like Rainy days started to as people assumed rain would reduce crowds so everyone flocked to the park making rainy days crowded?
                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

So are the discounted tickets working or are the conditions above not crowded enough for Disney?

Either way, Disney doesn’t seem interested in improving crowded conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                        I know DLR had a spike once mask restrictions were lifted I wonder if they come back will we see a drop in attendance? At this point maybe masks will actually create a rise like Rainy days started to as people assumed rain would reduce crowds so everyone flocked to the park making rainy days crowded?
                        There's so much reverse psychology going on with attendance right now. I hear holidays aren't that crowded (4th of July) but then I hear from someone going on a Wednesday of a non-holiday week and it's crowded.

My way of dipping my toe in the water is with Oogie Boogie Bash. We got tickets because we know that, at a minimum, we're getting a parade, a live stage show (for my younger kids), villains grove, and shorter wait times for the attractions (hopefully). Bonus points for it being held (mostly) after the hot sun has set. Crowds + the summer heat = hell on earth

Comment

Originally posted by brerphysicist View Post

There's so much reverse psychology going on with attendance right now.
                          I agree the rumors amongst none hardcore fans are often led by the the talk of crowds being too much. Because of this many holiday and weekends during the year are often assumed to be the busiest and many people avoid them to a point where we were seeing dips often during these days pre-covid. Also now that the the parks are shunning locals and tourists are often savvy enough to travel during the week to save on airfare and also with hopes that most locals will be working and not in the parks. Now Tues-Thurs can be as busy as a Sat-Sun. I know pre-covid we began going on Saturdays rather than our usual Sundays because we actually found crowds lighter on Sat than Sun.

Also I find it funny like somebody mentioned the days of blaming AP's for the crowds are over.
                          Last edited by Starcade; 07-20-2021, 02:13 PM.
                          Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                            ...I noticed this was sent from the Florida offices and I definitely felt the composer had a disconnect to the parks this is the type of stuff that we will see more and more of once a big chunk of the creative dept. is forced to Florida.
                            That's only the tip of what is going to be a very large iceberg.

A reader's comment from MiceChat's article "2,000 Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Jobs Moving to Orlando" foreshadows what is to come:

"I am in a position at Disney that is likely to be relocated. Disney has treated its creative employees so poorly over the last several years and this news is the rotting cherry on top. I have consoled many a coworker over the last two days and the vast majority in my dept are preparing to leave Disney.

"Relocating to Orlando where most of us have few competitive career alternatives (should there be yet another career shattering event at Disney) does not feel prudent at all. The only individuals amongst us who are contemplating the move are some of my older single coworkers, for whom the financial security of their current positions/pensions would be worth relocating for.

"I’ve spent a great deal of time in Orlando and while there are a handful of terrific cultural institutions- but they do not compare to the visibility to innovation and creative exchange that occurs in the LA area, which attracts a wide variety of highly talented individuals in droves. The diversity, culture and political climate of this area also factors into why colleagues, especially those with families, want to stay.

Regardless of Josh D’Amaro’s statement, this decisions feels like it was made with zero regard for fostering innovation and only for the purposes of saving some money. The company is about to shed a massive amount of talent that it will be slow to recoup."

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Yep, Disney management definitely is giving guests more to be satisfied ?
                              Well there KOOL-AID satisfier - Disney can have it !

Originally posted by Jesser-pie View Post

Either way, Disney doesn’t seem interested in improving crowded conditions.
                              I AGREE
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

I'm starting to think the user may be trolling, or at least being dishonest. He already admitted to getting information from contacts within Disney, but then also said he's buying stock based on the info he has. It doesn't take a lawyer to know that this is the textbook definition of insider trading, of which any Club 33 member of the requisite income level would be fully aware. Best to just ignore I think.
                                Not a troll, go ahead and check my history. I’ve been posting here since the website originally opened. I know not all the forum is still around since that purge 10 years ago or so, but I’m a long time user of this website.

I just feel bad you guys are in a bubble and not seeing reality. Just wait for the next quarterly report to shareholders

Comment

I just feel bad you guys are in a bubble and not seeing reality. Just wait for the next quarterly report to shareholders
                                  Considering the way Cheapta$tic Chapek's Budget Brigade has slashed costs to the bone, it wouldn't surprise anyone if Q3 looks good.

Q3 2022, however, is another question. Assuming Bob2 lasts that long.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Do people realize that Disney stock doesn’t only reflect the theme parks? Most of Disney’s profit is not made in the parks, which is good thing during and post pandemic.

https://www.rd.com/article/how-disney-makes-money/
                                    Last edited by Jesser-pie; 07-23-2021, 01:57 PM. Reason: Added reference

Comment

Not a troll, go ahead and check my history. I’ve been posting here since the website originally opened. I know not all the forum is still around since that purge 10 years ago or so, but I’m a long time user of this website.

I see your join date as Jul 2005 (not quite as long as the people that have been around since the Jan 2005/Usenet days), but unfortunately your post history only shows 6 posts and they're all in this thread. But if you're not trolling, then at least be honest and admit you are not buying new shares based on the information your Disney contacts provide you with, since that would be illegal.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Considering the way Cheapta$tic Chapek's Budget Brigade has slashed costs to the bone, it wouldn't surprise anyone if Q3 looks good.

Q3 2022, however, is another question. Assuming Bob2 lasts that long.
                                      Iger is still the Chairman of the board, even if Chapek wants to put him out to pasture. I remember Iger telling Chapek that the board would take the pandemic into consideration when judging Chapek's performance and compensation. But if Chapek keeps needlessly shooting himself in the foot like this, I can't imagine Iger will be very forgiving.

Do people realize that Disney stock doesn’t only reflect the theme parks? Most of Disney’s profit is not made in the parks, which is good thing during and post pandemic.

Yep, 100%. And the other sectors of the business are not where Wall St wants them. Disney essentially took write-downs on every movie that went to Disney+, from Hamilton to Mulan to Luca. Even with decent box office performances, Black Widow had the second-steepest dropoff in revenue ever for a Marvel film and was extensively pirated. Combine that with the fact that Disney+ subscriber numbers are failing to meet Wall St's expectations, and that's even with new international markets being added (meaning U.S. growth has stagnated). I'm not convinced now is a time to buy, and it doesn't seem like the analysts on CNBC think so either unless the stock is priced at $160 or below. But then again, I don't get my stock tips from inside the company ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

^This.

And everyone keeps acting like EVERY decisions done in the parks, is still by Chapek's own doing. Sure, his actions and decisions still influence the parks. But his 3 main prioties are clearly: Merchandise, Disney+ and Disney's IP. Chapek sees the parks as assets, not priorities.

The last CEO who was heavily involved in the Parks/Travel was Eisner. He opened a whopping 6 parks and 2 water parks compared to Iger's 1 park(Shanghai).Yes, quality was mixed(mostly bad), but the hyper development for Disney Parks stopped during Iger's reign.
                                        Last edited by Spongeocto4; 07-23-2021, 04:37 PM. Reason: Goofed with word meanings; Swapped 'regime' for 'reign'

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

And everyone keeps acting like EVERY decisions done in the parks, is still by Chapek's own doing. Sure, his actions and decisions still influence the parks. But his 3 main priories are clearly: Merchandise, Disney+ and Disney's IP. Chapek sees the parks as assets, not priorities.

"DARN GOOD POINT"...........
                                          We all know - Chapek true love is in SALE's
                                          3 main priories are clearly: Merchandise, Disney+ and Disney's IP.
                                          Just think of the $ MONEY $that in Disney's IP alone makes...........

It clearly Chapek is not into Theme Parks!
                                          He use the Parks as Advertisement Billboard...........
                                          IMO
                                          Last edited by Eagleman; 07-23-2021, 05:18 PM.
                                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X