Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Disney is losing me...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd never thought I'd say this, but Disney is losing me...

My thoughts here are sparked by the recent article reported here on Micechat and other outlets: 2,000 Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products Jobs Moving to Orlando. Read it for some background as to my thinking.

I could go on forever about my love for Disney and Disneyland. From the animated films of my childhood through their acquisition of the most recent IPs, I've experienced their cultural moments with them, and it translated into a passion for Disneyland that then pushed me into my current career path. I've been critical when they deserved it, and congratulatory when they earned it. I grew up in Burbank, know plenty of people at the studio and have been there myself. After the events of this past year, I think Disney is just losing that place in my heart that it used to have.

I tolerated a lot of pandemic changes on the guest-facing side even though I disagreed with them. I've personally witnessed their worsening treatment of CMs who were left with no other option than to take their skilled labor across state lines when they refused to hire back half their Disneyland CMs. And as each day passes, it seems like some Disney executive is in the press trying to justify why things aren't the same anymore, rather than telling us how they're better than they've ever been.

Over time, it's been hard to point to any single thing as completely diminishing Disney in my mind. But as I take stock after this abysmal decision to force WDI to Orlando, I just find myself unable to justify continually patronizing the parks. I had an AP as recently as last year and was considering buying into their new affinity program whenever it launched. Now, I think I will visit one last time to say goodbye before cutting back my visits to once every 4-5 years. I'll still keep up with the animated films and occasional Disney+ content, but management's recent moves just leave a bad taste in my mouth for guests and CMs alike.

I'm not looking for comments of support, but rather just providing some insight if you don't see me around the forums as frequently. If you do feel empathy, please point it towards the Imagineers at WDI and other Diseny CMs, many of whom are facing the prospect of either leaving family behind or giving up their life's dream, with no severance pay to speak of.

This isn't the same Disney Walt and Mickey started, but it's not even the same company it was two years ago. And until it gets back there, I'm afraid this is how I will feel for the foreseeable future.

I am sorry for posting such a mean spirited post.
    Last edited by Bearcats2; 07-16-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats2 View Post
      With all due respect, but why do we care if you are lost?
      Not sure if you read the entire post, but it's not just the fact that Disney is losing my interest and passion. It's more about why Disney is losing my interest and passion after their recent moves. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you seem to be new around here, but disingenuous engagement like this is probably why you were temporarily banned from Micechat before you had to put an administrator on blast. Try to maintain a little community spirit!

Comment

I have to say, I feel the same disconnect. In the recent month's there just hasn't been the same allure as before to visit. My wife and I were both AP holders (those lil' fellers are still in my wallet 😢) and spending so much for a diminished single day experience does not sound appealing. I recently left a job that was habitually understaffed and with an insanely high turnover rate, I can tell you that in that situation, even the associate with the highest morale can lose motivation rather quickly. Its a shame that the company is pulling this on one of their most important staff pools.

Comment

Honestly I can relate to your sentiments. I guess I’ve been a Disney fan for most of my life. Grew up in the 90s going to Disney World once a year. Even though we lived in Texas we became passholders in 2005 until 2012. Between those years, we took our first Disneyland trip in 2009. For me the biggest thing was how they changed fast passes at World. That was like the beginning of the end for me. Once I got old enough to vacation elsewhere with friends, the more trips I took, the less value I saw in going to Disney. More so Disney World then any other Disney resort. I still have that desire to go back, but when I think about how much the experience has changed I then think, You know what I’m good.

With all that said I did get excited when they first announced Disneyland’s reopening. I would love to go back as it’s been almost 2 years, but something inside of me is extremely apprehensive. I think some of it has to do with potential crowds, but I think most of it has to do with just expecting the experience to feel different. Idk, but I can definitely feel where you and anyone else who share these feelings are coming from. It simply isn’t the same anymore.

Comment

You’ve been here long enough to have been presented and learned about the concept of “declining by degrees”. I believe that concept as applied to Disneyland was penned by Kevin Yee if I am not mistaken. Back then this would happen occasionally but not often. Since then this has been occurring more frequently and now is happening at an exponential rate to where Disneyland to me is now almost unrecognizable. Sure it looks the same but it doesn’t feel the same. It definitely has reduced itself to a glorified Universal Studios and is quickly on the path to a nicely dressed Six Flags.

Comment

I feel much the same way. Besides the immediately observable decline in Disneyland, it seems like every time Disney makes the news (apart from its own press releases), it's bad news--more employees mistreated, the latest cash grab in the parks, more dilution of the magic. I'm seriously in a position where I might never go to Disneyland again. And I love Disneyland. But the Disneyland I love might be gone, for good. Worse, it might have been gone for some time, but it's only when I wasn't able to go for over a year that I noticed.
              Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

I doubt you're the only one, OP. There's probably been a lot of this in the back of minds for a long time, but the pandemic has made everyone readjust and adapt in so many ways that giving up the DL habit is just one more readjustment. It's an easy time to break up with a bad boyfriend, so to speak.

Comment

Your def not alone here Alec...as you probably know by now that I wear my Disney heart on my sleeve here. Like you, I also grew up in So Cal and Disneyland trips are littered in almost every eventful occasion and family trip that I can think of over the last 25+ years. And yes my feelings have a lot to do with how the parks have been "managed" within the last couple of years...and COVID def didnt help the steady slide of this place. I also think it has to do with your age group as well...as life has a funny way of changing what you used hold close to your heart and whats important to you and your family. I mean think about it....wife and I are in our 40's and holding a bunch of fictional cartoon characters on such a high platform is pretty silly. We have zero desire to go back anytime soon...as this is actually a relief and a little exciting as well. We feel that we have missed so many other adventures and opportunities because our time and more importantly our hard earned money isnt going going to Disney's Executives pocket books either. I can almost guarantee you...that as the customer, Disney will always find a way to screw you over with higher costs and less value.

Comment

I agree with you, Alec.

While I do think there is still some magic in Disneyland, it feels trapped more than anything and overshadowed by selfish corporate decisions that are surely the start of a very dark period. I'm hyper-focused on how Disney is treating their staff right now, and it really affected how I enjoyed the park...

It no longer feels special, and that's what hurts. Pips is right with the analogy... time to take a break from each other, and see new people (or parks).

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                      I've personally witnessed their worsening treatment of CMs who were left with no other option than to take their skilled labor across state lines when they refused to hire back half their Disneyland CMs.
                      Yeah -- for whatever reason, this is what really gets me too. What I love about DLR can survive the occasional idiot in upper management, but it can't survive if the rank-and-file isn't people who love the parks and aren't there for reasons beyond a paycheck anymore.

Comment

Brand abandonment is like a tsunami wave. True believers are nearest the quake zone.

Comment

Originally posted by merlinjones View Post
                          Brand abandonment is like a tsunami wave. True believers are nearest the quake zone.
                          While the brand's management is farthest away.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats2 View Post
                            With all due respect, but why do we care if you are lost?
                            Why bother with saying "with all due respect" when you follow up with something inherently disrespectful?

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Why bother with saying "with all due respect" when you follow up with something inherently disrespectful?
                              This side step comment has nothing to do with the post, or the reason why were discussing this. Why go down the rabbit hole with them..

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                                It definitely has reduced itself to a glorified Universal Studios and is quickly on the path to a nicely dressed Six Flags.
                                I said it at the time it opened and I’ll say it again ; Wizarding World gifted Disney and other theme parks the blueprint on how to upcharge its guests. The wands parents have to purchase for their kids to fully experience the land, animatronics as lures into gift shops, butter beer as a main attraction …

It’s a bad template we’ve seen hurt 2 new lands and will only continue to once Disney stops lowering themselves to Universal Studios.
                                Last edited by J. Thaddeus Toad; 07-16-2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeaDZNY View Post

This side step comment has nothing to do with the post, or the reason why were discussing this. Why go down the rabbit hole with them..
                                  I'm more interested in calling out someone's rudeness than having another conversation about Disney's poor corporate practices.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Thaddeus Toad View Post

I said it at the time it opened and I’ll say it again ; Wizarding World gifted Disney and other theme parks the blueprint on how to upcharge its guests. The wands parents have to purchase for their kids to fully experience the land, animatronics as lures into gift shops, butter beer as a main attraction …

It’s a bad template we’ve seen hurt 2 new lands and will only continue to once Disney stops lowering themselves to Universal Studios.
                                    Yeah, trying to xerox the Wizarding World formula on the cheap has definitely hurt the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by BasilOregano View Post
                                      Yeah, trying to xerox the Wizarding World formula on the cheap has definitely hurt the parks.

Ride the Movies!
                                      - Universal Studios

Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides.
                                      - Michael Eisner

Look, we’ve got the wealth of riches. We’ve got an embarrassment of riches.
                                      And we don’t want to do anything that anybody else can do, okay?
                                      A lot of times people say “why does everything have to be franchise-oriented?”
                                      Because that’s our barrier to entry. Because if any of our competitors
                                      had our intellectual property, guess what they would be doing?
                                      The exact same thing we’re doing. But they don’t have it and we do.
                                      And that’s why we have a franchise orientation – and frankly that’s why
                                      the Walt Disney Company far and away outperforms all of our peers.

- Bob Chapek

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Blah blah blah IP rules! ~Bob Chapek
                                        I mean..."We have Star Wars and you don't, nyeh nyeh" is certainly a take. I wonder if Chapek realizes what a tremendous a-hole he sounds like there.
                                        Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X