Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Disney is losing me...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He misuses the phrase "barrier to entry", and tries to depict some scenario where Universal doesn't have their own billion dollar IPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
      I mean..."We have Star Wars and you don't, nyeh nyeh" is certainly a take. I wonder if Chapek realizes what a tremendous a-hole he sounds like there.
      The complete transcript of his speech is pretty depressing.

The video of it is even worse.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
      - Bob Chapek

Comment

I definitely empathize with you Alec. I have been here before. I actually went from a freshman in college recently accepted to Art Center & Cal Arts at 17 and looked forward to becoming an Imagineer. Within a couple of months of learning more about the companies corporate environment and what working for Eisner was like, I decided I did not want to work for Disney Corp. and I might never go to Disneyland again. Thanks to one michael "lay off a ton of staff but give myself a huge bonus" eisner. At 18 I stopped going to the parks a place where I previous felt was the best place on the planet to be. The Eisner effect was so poisonous that it literally was enough to change the career path of a teenager. I never even contemplated returning as the parks had been soured for me. I stayed away from the parks and even the animated films for multiple decades. (1992-2013) When people asked me to join them at Disneyland knowing I grew up a super fan of the parks collecting maps memorabilia and more expensive coffee table books about the park then my parents preferred they were shocked when I told the the park was dead to me.

After I met my wife we often bonded over stories of childhood visits as she is a fellow OC native and grew up even closer to the parks even working at the Monorail Cafe for a spell. We vowed that when/if we had kids we would take them to the parks as we wanted to to experience the same magic we had in our youths regardless of my bitterness toward the parks. (Also I was agoraphobic at that time in my life and crowds were something I could not tolerate) Also my wife had one request that we wait until they were 5 because neither of us remembered much about our visits until we were 5 as well as her "I am not hauling a stroller around the park all day" decleration.

As I have mentioned in previous posts for those that are on here enough to remember that first day we took our girls was possibly the best day I had ever experienced the parks and one of the greatest days of my life. To see their jaws hit the floor and be so blown away all day long was something that was truly special. We quickly decided on our next visit after that that we would become pass holders because the thought of being able to come and go as we pleased and the low amortized cost of entry made the value a great deal. We would visit at least 15 times per years every year spending freely until we were unceremoniously made Legacy Passholders. 2013-2019 were all great years ( minus the 60th that year made us contemplate ending our AP's as the crowds were beyond ridiculous) but crowd levels went back to more normal quickly afterward so we continued.

We used to be a walking advertisement for the parks encouraging all the families in our social circle ( being a soccer coach and active in my kids school has our social circle quite large ) now we are a cautionary tale recommending people look elsewhere for a good time without being exploited. And we aren't alone in this journey.

My girls are now teens and more interested in roller coasters than princesses so the lack of DLR in their lives is not that hard (especially now that they have discovered Knott's). I would say as of right now my wife and I miss the parks far more than our kids. But my wife and are I also not willing to play chapeks game and feel if he loses us permanently that is on him and we have come to terms with that.

The question now waiting to be answered is will Disney Corp be willing to lose chapek if it means getting back all of us, or will they keep chapek and continue to hemorrhage potential guests while driving them all to the competition?
        Last edited by Starcade; 07-16-2021, 12:36 PM.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
          I feel much the same way. Besides the immediately observable decline in Disneyland, it seems like every time Disney makes the news (apart from its own press releases), it's bad news--more employees mistreated, the latest cash grab in the parks, more dilution of the magic. I'm seriously in a position where I might never go to Disneyland again. And I love Disneyland. But the Disneyland I love might be gone, for good. Worse, it might have been gone for some time, but it's only when I wasn't able to go for over a year that I noticed.
          This is exactly what they want their "inclusivity" PR stunts to opaque. They want to present themselves as a "progressive" company when in the end it is anything but, and only driven by the greed of 10 white men at the top board room.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealThing
            While I recognize I'm not a long time participant of this web board - I'm a long time lurker, who signed up to make this very comment - I really cannot overstate the amount of overinvestment some of y'all have with Disneyland, the Disney Co., etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm here for discourse and yeah we all have complaints (Chapek does indeed suck) but this navel gazing livejournal Eeyore garbagio (sic) is pathetic. If you're not interested in Disneyland, just do something else. IMO life is a bit short to be spending too much time complaining about something that is completely voluntary.

I've been going to the parks most years since I was born and I'm in my 40s. I live in LA and have been an AP. I've flown to Tokyo for Disney Parks (and ramen, let's be real). My body is permanently branded with tattoos of Space Mountain and the Nautilus and Donald Duck. Disney is neither perfect nor The Enemy in my eyes. But lordie lou y'all sound like a bunch of whiny babies who think being obsessed with Disney is a personality. It's not, it's an interest and ideally, one of many, so that when that interest fades or something changes your life doesn't feel like it's falling apart. When someone feels the need to announce to everyone their interest in Disney is waning, yet spend so much time and energy on these boards, obsessing over every detail the company makes (oh no - they're moving a tiny percentage of the company to Orlando!), often in the name of the CMs (who do have it rough right now, no doubt), it's pretty troublesome and exhausting. If you're concerned about people being mistreated, I assure you, the world is full of people who have it worst than former or current CMs of the Disney company.

Tl;dr: If you don't like Disneyland anymore, it's probably best to not be on MouseChat at all - just do something else. There are a lot of interests I've had that have faded but I don't spend my time on message boards devoted to those things complaining I don't like them anymore.
            The irony that you are a long-time lurker who signed up just to break forum rules with your very first post is only surpassed by your self-righteous moralizing about a community that you complain is doing the same thing. I doubt you have even the slightest clue just exactly how invested some people are in the Walt Disney Co. based on someone's forum posts, since you don't know anything about anyone's lives outside of it. That's unsurprising, but then again I doubt you know anyone personally affected by Disney's treatment of CMs, nor that you know people whose families have worked for Disney for generations dating back to Walt himself.

And your flippant attitude towards people being asked to uproot their livelihood at a moment's notice likely means you've never been in that situation yourself. I really encourage you to have empathy towards people who may be experiencing any type of hardship, even if people are suffering elsewhere as well. One person's pain does not diminish another's, and remembering that will get you far in life. If you truly care about people who "have it worst [sic] than" Disney CMs, kindly go to another forum, be politically active in your community, or partake in some volunteer work. You might even meet a few Micechat (not "MouseChat", whatever that is) members and find out about their passions outside of Disney. I assure you, we all have them.

TL;DR: if you're going to create an account just to attack a member sharing your perspective, maybe create another post or two beforehand so people don't think that being overly obsessed with others is your entire personality.

Comment

While I recognize I'm not a long time participant of this web board - I'm a long time lurker, who signed up to make this very comment - I really cannot overstate the amount of overinvestment some of y'all have with Disneyland, the Disney Co., etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm here for discourse and yeah we all have complaints (Chapek does indeed suck) but this navel gazing livejournal Eeyore garbagio (sic) is pathetic. If you're not interested in Disneyland, just do something else. IMO life is a bit short to be spending too much time complaining about something that is completely voluntary.

I've been going to the parks most years since I was born and I'm in my 40s. I live in LA and have been an AP. I've flown to Tokyo for Disney Parks (and ramen, let's be real). My body is permanently branded with tattoos of Space Mountain and the Nautilus and Donald Duck. Disney is neither perfect nor The Enemy in my eyes. But lordie lou y'all sound like a bunch of whiny babies who think being obsessed with Disney is a personality. It's not, it's an interest and ideally, one of many, so that when that interest fades or something changes your life doesn't feel like it's falling apart. When someone feels the need to announce to everyone their interest in Disney is waning, yet spend so much time and energy on these boards, obsessing over every detail the company makes (oh no - they're moving a tiny percentage of the company to Orlando!), often in the name of the CMs (who do have it rough right now, no doubt), it's pretty troublesome and exhausting. If you're concerned about people being mistreated, I assure you, the world is full of people who have it worst than former or current CMs of the Disney company.

Tl;dr: If you don't like Disneyland anymore, it's probably best to not be on MouseChat at all - just do something else. There are a lot of interests I've had that have faded but I don't spend my time on message boards devoted to those things complaining I don't like them anymore.
              Oh, Lordy -- that post is classic troll bait.

I encourage everyone to use the Flag button to report it.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
              - Bob Chapek

Comment

This forum is also voluntary and you, admittedly a member who has never contributed to anything, are denigrating a valued (and coincidently the kindest) member. That is not a personality to brag about.

Also it’s called MiceChat.

Comment

Seems like a lot of assumptions are being made by some people on MouseChat.
                  Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I'll admit that folks being able to dedicate much of their time to express concern towards the decision making of those running a theme park is definitely a privileged position to be in (after all, there are folks out there more concerned about where their next meal might be coming from or far more important things). In a twisted sort of way, I try and reel myself back every now and again these days when it comes to deciding how much time and energy to spend on these kinds of issues because there are, admittedly, more important things to concern yourself with in the world.

That said, there's nothing wrong with those folks critiquing these sorts of things, especially when it's coming from a place of good faith. Sure, there are certainly folks out there who could be considered "whiners" simply because they didn't get their way with nothing constructive to add to a conversation. -and there are certainly folks who refuse to acknowledge anything good the company does simply because it happens after an arbitrary date.

But most of the time, folks who start discussions like this are coming from a place of sincerity or love. Heck, what's particularly striking about this topic isn't even that OP is losing the drive to go because of something like, "Star Wars bad". Rather, their dismay is coming from Disney's current mistreatment of its Cast. Caring about the way employees are treated or fighting for things that would objectively improve the Guest experience is an example of folks with the good fortune to be complaining about these things in the first place, using that gift to try and accomplish something good for other people. They're using the time and knowledge others wouldn't normally have to fight for or bring attention to, issues that could improve the experiences of those in the latter group.

Folks being able to express their disagreement with a decision a company makes, publicly for all to see, is one of the few things that could potentially protect that company's customers or employees from being taken advantage of by said company.

This being the case, I see nothing wrong with OP's sentiment, topic or sharing their opinion on these matters. While frankly, everyone is entitled to share their opinion here in a public space (even the "omg I don't like that franchise or the way it's handled" crowd), topics and discussions like this, I feel, are especially potent. Because they are raising awareness about issues that I feel are more important than simply what we do or don't like being built in the parks. This is a matter regarding treatment of overworked or undervalued employees whose livelihoods Disney is showcasing with this and other recent moves, to be less important to them than saving some money on something like a "business-friendly" move or understaffing in the parks.

This isn't, "My ideas for a ride are better than yours". This is a matter definitely worth discussing. As someone who has been faced with and lived through the decision of "move out of country because that's where your dream job is going or stay behind and forget everything you loved", I appreciate OP thinking of others in this instance and calling Disney out here.

One of the more ridiculous things about the letter to CMs regarding this move to Florida is how badly they're trying to convince their team that Florida is great. It ain't. -and even if it were, they're not only uprooting themselves for the company. They're uprooting themselves and taking an even further gamble that Disney will keep their employment, long term. If this past year has taught them anything, it's that their jobs could disappear overnight if Disney wills it so or things take a turn for the worse. In which case they would be left not only jobless, but stranded in an unfamiliar area that they sacrificed everything to move to.

It's a very real concern. The VFX company I worked for in Carlsbad moved to Canada and offered me a role up there. After much thinking, I turned them down to instead focus on a relationship with my future wife here in the states. What happened after a year? They closed the Canada location down and invested in workforce over in India, leaving all those artists up in Canada SOL. If a smaller movie making company like the one I was a part of would do this just to turn a better bottom line, why wouldn't Disney? This is something these CMs and Imagineers really need to be taking into consideration and it's really a shame that Disney has gone ahead and put them in this situation to begin with.

Especially when everyone is fighting so hard to just get some normalcy back.

Comment

Disney is a want not a need.............
                      Bob Chapek IMO is taking this company on a ugly trail.
                      But -I have learn ,there more to Life than Disney!

Folks this not same company that "Walt" built and care about .
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It’s funny because about 15 years ago, I would have been in the same boat as you pertaining to the then climate of Disney World. It didn’t make sense to me that people were spending so much time and energy complaining about Disney and how it’s not what it use to be but still going. Or at least that’s what it sounded like.The truth is we are all here on this board for a reason. We love or loved Disney. We have memories of Disney. Whether it’s the parks, movies, shows, there is a connection there. For some of us that connection holds our happiest memories.

With that said, if I am unhappy about things I’ve been reading, hearing, or seeing as it pertains to “my beloved Disney” then I will speak on it. That’s what these discussion boards are for, discussions. We don’t all have to agree, but we all have opinions to share. It’s like having a kid that was the perfect angel from the time they were born to the time they were 13. Then you noticed they start hanging with the wrong crowd and they change in ways you don’t appreciate and that you know aren’t good for them. You love the kid and want what’s best for the kid, and you know the kid can do better. That’s how I think a lot of us feel about Disney. And granted, I can’t speak for anyone else. Personally I haven’t been to a Disney park since 2019. I don’t think everyone here “complaining” is turning around and going to the parks, at least not how they use to.

Lastly I think it this goes hand in hand. We don’t have to go to the parks, and you don’t have to read the whiny posts. Either way, all of this can be seen as a waste of time depending on who’s looking at it.

Comment

Thank you, WaltDisney'sAlec, for your sensitivity toward those who may be asked to uproot their lives and move to Florida. I know many individuals who are affected by this decision and have yet to hear from even one that is enthusiastic about it. For those affected, this is Big Stuff. The questions are many and the answers are few.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                            Seems like a lot of assumptions are being made by some people on MouseChat.
                            I cancelled my membership of "MouseChat" due to the overwhelming negativity and griping
                            “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                            WDW Trips: '81
                            EPCOT Trips: '93
                            Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

While I'm sorry for the employees who will have to relocate I don't see why moving them to Orlando is such a 'negative' thing. Isn't it more a consolidation of resources into one central location? I've been there and done that twice in my career when resources were consolidated, and that's not including the 3 transfers that I actually wanted. In the end none of the office relocations really affected the work we were doing. There were just a few adjustments to procedures.

I admit I don't know beans about Disney's corporate locations and their staffing but aren't there already a large number of similar positions already in Orlando? Or is it that the CA employees are strictly DL-centric and we need to worry about the interests of DL being 'subsumed' by the interests of WDW as they are influenced by the WDW-centric employees? I mean, it's happened already in the past that DL has lost projects or budgets to WDW. Maybe having DL-centric people in Orlando might mean they have more influence in the beginning stages of 'negotiations' as opposed to be presented with a 'fait accompli' with no/very little input.
                              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I for one am shocked - shocked I tell you - that people come to discussion boards to have discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                  While I'm sorry for the employees who will have to relocate I don't see why moving them to Orlando is such a 'negative' thing. Isn't it more a consolidation of resources into one central location? I've been there and done that twice in my career when resources were consolidated, and that's not including the 3 transfers that I actually wanted. In the end none of the office relocations really affected the work we were doing. There were just a few adjustments to procedures.

I admit I don't know beans about Disney's corporate locations and their staffing but aren't there already a large number of similar positions already in Orlando? Or is it that the CA employees are strictly DL-centric and we need to worry about the interests of DL being 'subsumed' by the interests of WDW as they are influenced by the WDW-centric employees? I mean, it's happened already in the past that DL has lost projects or budgets to WDW. Maybe having DL-centric people in Orlando might mean they have more influence in the beginning stages of 'negotiations' as opposed to be presented with a 'fait accompli' with no/very little input.
                                  Here's my take...

Los Angeles is the creative capital, and asking employees to move to a location that does not have AS MANY jobs as LA probably makes some employees feel insecure. WDI is very much tied to animation with many of the same creatives sort of bouncing around the industry.

As of recent, studios are beginning to open back up and they're calling employees back to work in-studio, so the dream of all of us working from home is more or less shattered, thus keeping LA as the creative capital when it comes to creative work.

It's a big ask. While the price of living is lower, if Disney decides to lay-off a big chunk of their employees when things aren't working out, compared to the California market, the Florida market will be smaller and probably more competitive when it comes to job hunting and sustaining that sort of career.

Comment

Without diving into politics, the move of employees is not a surprise, as Disney is on better terms with Florida over California currently.

Regarding the OP, like others have said, I would recommend taking a break from DL & the Corporate news side of things. Personally, I have notice myself occasionally experiencing the cabin fever climate like from last year or "doomscrolling" on the internet. Both are not healthy. There have been times on this board, where I've cancel writing a post, because I realized I didn't need to get so worked up about something.

Unlike other posters here, I'm not a local, so it has been both a benefit and a disservice to me. I don't have to worry about getting bored or disinterested with the parks. But, it may be sometime before I get to visit again. I've only been able to go on just 3 trips during the last decade (2010 to 2020) Ouch...

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                      Without diving into politics, the move of employees is not a surprise, as Disney is on better terms with Florida over California currently.

Regarding the OP, like others have said, I would recommend taking a break from DL & the Corporate news side of things. Personally, I have notice myself occasionally experiencing the cabin fever climate like from last year or "doomscrolling" on the internet. Both are not healthy. There have been times on this board, where I've cancel writing a post, because I realized I didn't need to get so worked up about something.

Ouch...
                                      My Friend
                                      We can agree or disagree
                                      But I know we have respect for one other... many others on the board........mostly the same !

OP Walt Disney's Alec ,was attack by, couple people and in my view ....and it was Down out Wrong .
                                      I go record I have a lot respect for Alec and his view I think of him as my Friend as well.

I agree with you
                                      It been for many years now - face the fact Disney have change and IMO for the worst !
                                      The News does not surprise me neither......
                                      and I would not be surprise to hear Disney Corporate office get move also.....
                                      But as I been sharing ....there more to Life than Disney .
                                      Last edited by Eagleman; 07-17-2021, 05:12 PM.
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by jlee1226 View Post

i for one am shocked - shocked i tell you - that people come to discussion boards to have discussions.
                                        x2
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Alec, I recently uprooted myself and my family to move out to Florida. It wasn't easy, but I don't regret it. This is a nice place to live.

Orlando is a very friendly (and pro-Disney) town, and I'm confident that the relocating CMs will be welcomed here with open arms. I wish them all the best. We all do. And I hope with all my heart that Disney will treat them fairly, give them all of the support they need (and deserve) and they will ultimately be happy here.

On the other hand, I agree with you that Disney has seemed a bit too profit orientated, at the expense of some of it's magic. Since they reoffered the Florida 4 ticket deal, I've debated several times if I should spring for it, and I just cannot bring myself to do it. I've got SeaWorld and Universal Studio Passes, and every day that goes by, I feel the loss of not being a Disney AP holder less.

SeaWorld, especially, seems to be making a real effort to provide value. I was just there today: popped in for a meal and a couple of adult beverages, watched a fun parade and the Rock Star Elmo show. Yeah, who'd have thought Elmo could be fun? But the costumes, music and dance numbers were a hoot. It could have been a Disney show, except that my pass cost a pittance. Oh, and I got a free beer, too.

The day that Disney lets me replace my long time Disneyland pass with a Disney World pass, I'll probably go for it. Probably. But, until then, I'm not going to buy another day ticket from them. Disney will do just fine without my money, and I feel much better giving it to a park that acts like they actually want me as a customer.
                                          Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X