Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Disney is losing me...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
    SeaWorld, especially, seems to be making a real effort to provide value. I was just there today: popped in for a meal and a couple of adult beverages, watched a fun parade and the Rock Star Elmo show. Yeah, who'd have thought Elmo could be fun? But the costumes, music and dance numbers were a hoot. It could have been a Disney show, except that my pass cost a pittance. Oh, and I got a free beer, too.
    Was the beer complimentary? Or was it compensation to the adults for the Elmo show?

Comment

Alec, your post sadly gives me the feeling of my own Disney disconnect deja vu.

For me, my final ‘Disney break-up’ if you will, was Bob Chapek’s D23 presentation. I remember watching that and it was just, in my eyes, so obvious he really was more passionate about retail, and Target, than any of the upcoming Disney magic experiences the parks are/were known for.

I still remember after that presentation thinking ‘If this guy becomes the next Disney CEO, it would be almost a what-if Paul Pressler had become Disney CEO’ -type scenario.

I remember growing up dreaming of being an Imagineer. When kids my age wanted to be the next Michael Jordan or Bon Jovi, I wanted to be the next Tony Baxter. It was a different time.

But after Bob C. officially took over, I’ve realized this admin. is not my type of Disney; it’s a retailers paradise Disney now. The recent Avengers Campus addition and Pixar Pier overlay further confirmed my opinions of this new Disney era.

I can even admit I may be wrong and years later, if Chapek evolves Disney into a Amazon-like rival and the company is not acquired before, Chapek could be the hero of the story. That is a long shot, but so was the idea of Disney acquiring Pixar if you would have asked someone in 2004.

If I could leave with one optimistic hope it would be that these Disney down periods (1972 - 1986, 1996 - 2005, etc.) of declining quality and guest satisfaction is reversible (thinking about the DLR ‘Pooh’ year (2003) low to the 2012 DCA 2.0 high.

While I much more passively enjoy Disney entertainment these days than years ago, I have hope, that the Disney I fondly remember might, wishing, return again someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

Was the beer complimentary? Or was it compensation to the adults for the Elmo show?
        That really would be going the extra mile!
        But, no, they have started handing out one free beer per visit. Might be to promote the craft beer festival in August. Whatever the reason, it’s very welcome in Florida’s heat and humidity.
        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaygatzby View Post
          Alec, your post sadly gives me the feeling of my own Disney disconnect deja vu.

For me, my final ‘Disney break-up’ if you will, was Bob Chapek’s D23 presentation. I remember watching that and it was just, in my eyes, so obvious he really was more passionate about retail, and Target, than any of the upcoming Disney magic experiences the parks are/were known for.

I still remember after that presentation thinking ‘If this guy becomes the next Disney CEO, it would be almost a what-if Paul Pressler had become Disney CEO’ -type scenario.

I remember growing up dreaming of being an Imagineer. When kids my age wanted to be the next Michael Jordan or Bon Jovi, I wanted to be the next Tony Baxter. It was a different time.

But after Bob C. officially took over, I’ve realized this admin. is not my type of Disney; it’s a retailers paradise Disney now. The recent Avengers Campus addition and Pixar Pier overlay further confirmed my opinions of this new Disney era.

I can even admit I may be wrong and years later, if Chapek evolves Disney into a Amazon-like rival and the company is not acquired before, Chapek could be the hero of the story. That is a long shot, but so was the idea of Disney acquiring Pixar if you would have asked someone in 2004.

If I could leave with one optimistic hope it would be that these Disney down periods (1972 - 1986, 1996 - 2005, etc.) of declining quality and guest satisfaction is reversible (thinking about the DLR ‘Pooh’ year (2003) low to the 2012 DCA 2.0 high.

While I much more passively enjoy Disney entertainment these days than years ago, I have hope, that the Disney I fondly remember might, wishing, return again someday.
          BINGO...........Chapek thinks of Sales.....pure and simple !
          IMO = This is a New Disney Era and not going get better=
          Last edited by Eagleman; 07-17-2021, 08:38 PM.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I've lost a lot of my passion for Disney as well, even though I now have a young child and sharing Disney and Disneyland was the thing I used to want to do most. I used to see Disney cheapening out on things and joke about them being in it "just for the money" but I feel like I've recently seen that "the money" really is all the company wants. Sure individual contributors within the company may want something more, but I don't feel Disney cares about building their "Disney" brand with original ideas and instead just wants to make money however they can, including acquisitions instead of original creations. I'll never see new attractions like the ones that made me fall in love with Disneyland as a kid in the 80s: America Sings, CBJ, Pirates, HM, etc. Disneyland is, strangely enough, one of the things that kept me in Southern California. I've been freed from that and know I could fly back if I really want, so I've been exploring moving elsewhere.

Comment

Not good. Imagine having to trade a home (way of living) in Los Feliz/Glendale/Pasadena/Arcadia for a home (way of living) in Orlando. Just not the same.

I suspect that the most "mobile" employees will look for employment elsewhere or use their leverage to keep their jobs here.

If some of the senior people depart, Disney will have the opportunity to replace them with lower cost employees. Not saying this is a good thing, but it does confirm what some people here have been saying for years. If imagineers are simply copying what art directors are putting in Disney movies, who needs to hire a CalArts or ArtCenter grad to do that. A grad from some nondescript Florida college will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Here's my take...

Los Angeles is the creative capital, and asking employees to move to a location that does not have AS MANY jobs as LA probably makes some employees feel insecure. WDI is very much tied to animation with many of the same creatives sort of bouncing around the industry.

As of recent, studios are beginning to open back up and they're calling employees back to work in-studio, so the dream of all of us working from home is more or less shattered, thus keeping LA as the creative capital when it comes to creative work.

It's a big ask. While the price of living is lower, if Disney decides to lay-off a big chunk of their employees when things aren't working out, compared to the California market, the Florida market will be smaller and probably more competitive when it comes to job hunting and sustaining that sort of career.
                I’m in total agreement there, I wanted to add;

Many Disney employees who work in Burbank/Glendale area might have family in California. To be force to move to Florida and be away from your extended family might be a major blow for them. Especially if they are deeply rooted in California culture as well, have to miss out forever leaving your favorite restaurant, shops and also friends. That a nightmare, on top of having to look for a new home, moving furniture, that is a nightmare.

If were me, I would resign. Florida is NOT great to live in. Terribly boring, the weather is terrible, politic leans too right.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                  If were me, I would resign. Florida is NOT great to live in. Terribly boring, the weather is terrible, politic leans too right.
                  I agree with most of what you said, but I beg to differ: I grew up in SoCal and lived there for much of my life. But we are very happy now in Kissimmee. I meet people all of the time that have moved here from elsewhere, frequently from Cali (as they call it out here), and I don't hear many regrets.

Another datapoint: I actually interviewed onsite at Team Disney with the Parks Division in Orlando (just before the pandemic, actually, the position was frozen), and my impression of the team, and the work environment, was very positive. Many of them had come from elsewhere, too. The folks seemed sincerely happy to be working for Disney and to be doing it in Orlando. No employer is perfect, but Disney is better than most, in my opinion.
                  Last edited by whiteness; 07-18-2021, 03:12 PM.
                  Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post

Many Disney employees who work in Burbank/Glendale area might have family in California. To be force to move to Florida and be away from your extended family might be a major blow for them. Especially if they are deeply rooted in California culture as well, have to miss out forever leaving your favorite restaurant, shops and also friends. That a nightmare, on top of having to look for a new home, moving furniture, that is a nightmare.

To many times
                    I seen employment move to another state......what end up happening ...........
                    many employees start looking for another job !
                    Any way look at it - It's a a nightmare.........
                    And do not be surprise to hear (((((((((
                    Disney Corporate office get move also.....

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

I agree with most of what you said, but I beg to differ: I grew up in SoCal and lived there for much of my life. But we are very happy now in Kissimmee. I meet people all of the time that have moved here from elsewhere, frequently from Cali (as they call it out here), and I don't hear many regrets.

Another datapoint: I actually interviewed onsite at Team Disney with the Parks Division in Orlando (just before the pandemic, actually, the position was frozen), and my impression of the team, and the work environment, was very positive. Many of them had come from elsewhere, too. The folks seemed sincerely happy to be working for Disney and to be doing it in Orlando. No employer is perfect, but Disney is better than most, in my opinion.
                      Mmmmm.......

While I believe your interview experience was a positive one, I don't consider Disney to be a great company (not anymore, at least). I've had a number of interviews with the studios (with offers), and while the interviews themselves are positive, the pay and benefits do not reflect what is to be expected from such a high-profile company. Heck, Disney's competition pays a lot better than Disney itself, hence why I have declined a number of those offers (and it appears they are hurting somewhere in that sector because they are always reaching out for more interviews, and they may have lost a lot of wonderful talent in the past year).

Not to mention word-of-mouth and all of that.... it's kind of known that Disney does not value its employees. It's a shame that it's gotten so big that it's forgotten those that have made it special.
                      Last edited by Captain Andy; 07-18-2021, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Mmmmm.......

While I believe your interview experience was a positive one, I don't consider Disney to be a great company (not anymore, at least). I've had a number of interviews with the studios (with offers), and while the interviews themselves are positive, the pay and benefits do not reflect what is to be expected from such a high-profile company. Heck, Disney's competition pays a lot better than Disney itself, hence why I have declined a number of those offers (and it appears they are hurting somewhere in that sector because they are always reaching out for more interviews, and they may have lost a lot of wonderful talent in the past year).

Not to mention word-of-mouth and all of that.... it's kind of known that Disney does not value its employees. It's a shame that it's gotten so big that it's forgotten those that have made it special.
                        Wooooooooo
                        I not going to tell someone else- what to do or how they should spend there own time ,or
                        use there money or who to work for .............
                        But
                        I do AGEEE with You.......Disney does not value its employees!
                        I felt like that way back in Eisner's leadership
                        and Today Disney/
                        Bob Chapek’s Leadership , It is lot worst.

Team Disney IMO there no such thing ,and I find it as Joke more !
                        Last edited by Eagleman; 07-18-2021, 09:58 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I feel ya, OP. I personally have not been to the park since the spring of 2015. Nothing at all bad happened on that visit, I just never had the desire to return. It finally became just another entertainment venue to me, and one that wasn't really worth the trouble and money to return to. I used to have a love and passion for Disneyland, maybe not to the same extent as many here, but it was there still the same. And after all those many years it ended with a whimper instead of a bang. Just a thousand little things that all finally added up to the "specialness" of the parks no longer being there. All these little things that have been well documented on this very forum over the years, usually followed by howls of protests about people being too negative.

I really feel there is room in a capitalist system to treat certain assets and properties that have been cherished by your customers for decades with some respect and reverence, while still keeping profit in mind. As opposed to trying to milk out every single penny possible. But obviously the current upper management disagrees with that. Of course there are more important things in life, so its not like it was a crisis to me - but I still miss the place on occasion. Otherwise I wouldn't have found my way back to this forum while sitting bored on a Sunday night after all this time. Anyway, the bottom line is to vote with your wallet, its the only vote that counts.

Comment

I grew up going to WDW and started going to DL later in my life. I have young kids and couldn't wait to share Disney culture with them. We listen to Disney music in our house and car. We had annual passes and then we canceled them due to Lex Luther's GREAT ENTERTAINMENT APOCALYPSE of 2019. Then COVID hit. We had a hunger to take our kids to DL for the attractions of which we're fond.

Our biggest barrier at the moment is the poor value due to lack of entertainment, understaffing, heavy crowds, and a higher cost per entry (vs annual passes).

So now we're part of the group that Disney will be getting less from. We debated between the 3-day CA DL pass and Legoland annual passes (it's 10 minutes from my house) + Oogie Boogie Bash since they cost the same. We opted for the latter, so Disney will be getting $500 from us instead of $1300. That's $800 out of the Disney company's pockets.

As long as DLR has the attractions that bring back the feels for my wife and I (PotC, HM, Splash, DLRR, BTMRR, Matterhorn, IASM, Alice, Peter Pan, etc.), we will always feel a drive to come back. Maybe not as frequently as before, but we'll still be driven back.

We realize the experience will wax and wane depending on the leadership. Right now it is clearly waning, and I hope it doesn't approach full FUBAR.

What would bring us back? Better value:
                            1. LIVE ENTERTAINMENT. The gutting of live entertainment pre-COVID is still sickening. I think many have forgotten about how much was stripped out of the parks back then b/c covid created a large distraction. The value DL offers now is MUCH MUCH less b/c they've stripped away parades, street shows, and theater shows. You realize how much that adds up to in a day? That's easily $50 per ticket in value that is now gone. If they brought back live shows, we would start going again once per year.
                            2. FastPass. I'd prefer a longer standby wait with FP instead of a short, but still long standby wait without FP. Operating without FP removes around $15 of value in the tickets.
                            3. Better customer service. I'd say around $20 in value.
                            4. Predictable crowd levels. I'm not sure how much Disney has control over this. It seems everything is flipped on its head lately. Reverse psychology? Weekends and holidays have been less busy than weekdays. Strange.

If you add up 1, 2, and 3, my family sees about $75 that we shouldn't be paying for. The experience that cost about $130 back in 2019 pre-entertainment apocalypse should now cost $55 ... in our book. I realize everyone is different. Our fondest moments aren't sitting on a ride we've ridden 100x (yes, we still love that). Instead, it's seeing a parade and making eye contact with one of the performers, listening to the newsboys sing in front of the fountain at DCA, and so forth. Those are the special moments for us.

This is why we choose Oogie Boogie Bash. ENTERTAINMENT. The parks are getting by offering the same prices as before while offering about $75 less in value.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalora View Post
                              I feel much the same way. Besides the immediately observable decline in Disneyland, it seems like every time Disney makes the news (apart from its own press releases), it's bad news--more employees mistreated, the latest cash grab in the parks, more dilution of the magic. I'm seriously in a position where I might never go to Disneyland again. And I love Disneyland. But the Disneyland I love might be gone, for good. Worse, it might have been gone for some time, but it's only when I wasn't able to go for over a year that I noticed.
                              I feel exactly the same. I love DisneyLAND more than the IPs or the products, and with all the changes and obvious money grabs I just feel like an open wallet when I walk through the gates, not a treasured guest. I know these changes have been happening for many years, but with the closure, the bad press, and exponentially fast changes since reopening, it has become so blatant that the ones in charge only care about your money, I just can't ignore it anymore. I think you're right - the Disneyland we loved has been gone for a while, and I knew that but could pretend it wasn't. But now, for me, that "suspension of disbelief" you need to believe a good fantasy story just is unattainable. I know I know, "its a business not a charity", and "of course they need to make a profit". But they also need to make their customers want to come back.

Comment

Originally posted by debkwan View Post

I feel exactly the same. I love DisneyLAND more than the IPs or the products, and with all the changes and obvious money grabs I just feel like an open wallet when I walk through the gates, not a treasured guest. I know these changes have been happening for many years, but with the closure, the bad press, and exponentially fast changes since reopening, it has become so blatant that the ones in charge only care about your money, I just can't ignore it anymore. I think you're right - the Disneyland we loved has been gone for a while, and I knew that but could pretend it wasn't. But now, for me, that "suspension of disbelief" you need to believe a good fantasy story just is unattainable. I know I know, "its a business not a charity", and "of course they need to make a profit". But they also need to make their customers want to come back.
                                BINGO- I AGREE
                                "VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET"
                                Disney is a want -not a need !
                                imo
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I’m absolutely heartbroken that I agree, but yeah. I’m at Disneyland right now, day 2 of 3. I haven’t been since January of 2019, so I was looking forward to this trip so much. I’ve been to Disneyland about 27 times, Disney World 5. I’m just shocked at the state of the parks. I was expecting some chaos due to the last year, less CMs than usual, some ride issues, etc…but this is totally different. We usually go in the off season and stay at the Grand, but it was beyond prohibitively expensive to stay at any hotel on property (I have issues with the prices of hotels also but that’s for another post) so we’re about a block and a half away. It’s fine, but I’m really missing being able to take a break in our room midday. Also side note, I’ve been in the summer several times and expected some pretty gnarly crowds but this is BAD. Just jam packed. The parks are filthy, trash everywhere, everything looks pretty run down, animatronics and effects across the board are not working as they should.

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters that have pointed out that Disney is becoming Universal. I’m already not a Marvel fan at all, but California Adventure is becoming absolutely unrecognizable and I don’t like it. Avengers Campus looks like Universal, which is not a compliment in my book. We got a boarding group thing for Web Slingers and I was just beyond disappointed. I don’t want screens. If I wanted screens I’d go to Universal. We already have Toy Story Mania a 5 minute walk away. I’m also never ever going to get over the Tower overlay. It’s a hideous eyesore. The pacing for Tower was perfectly planned and executed, and completely changing the entire mood of the ride destroyed it IMO. I sort of like Pixar Pier but I really miss the simplicity of California Adventure. It was so nice to go and feel like I wasn’t being bombarded with IPs at every turn. If Hollywood Land was the same as it was pre-Marvel and A Bug’s Land was still there I’d probably feel differently, but the park feels incredibly disjointed and forced now. I’m also still mourning the loss of Muppets and the inevitable loss of Monsters Inc.

I also have noticed a huge change in the culture of the park. It feels like Six Flags. We get a disability pass due to some stuff I don’t feel comfortable sharing, but the amount of people that have stopped me while I was going through the line to ask how I got a “line skipper” is insane. People refuse to listen to CMs when they ask them to pause in line. People have no idea where or what anything is, and just don’t understand park etiquette. Part of my love for the parks came from the camaraderie I felt with other guests, there was generally a feeling of mutual love and respect for Disney, and a desire to keep the parks a peaceful and kind place. It’s just different now. I have been shoved countless times, people have cut in most lines we’ve been in, it’s just crazy.

The IPs are too much. I miss the educational rides, the imaginative new experiences. Now they’re just slapping IPs on stuff and making sure there are 50 merchandise stands nearby. Galaxy’s Edge has the same problem, but I’m less critical of it…probably because I’m a hypocrite. I think RotR is absolutely incredible and it feels like a true Disney experience to me. Smuggler’s Run hits the Star Tours spot (still miss Rex and the old Star Tours). It’s a gorgeous land, but it still makes me sad. I guess it’s less jarring because Star Wars has had a presence in the park for my entire life.

We went to Disney World in May (yes we saved up over the entire pandemic for our return) and honestly…I prefer Disney World. EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are two of my favorite parks ever. EPCOT still has some of the educational, IP free experiences that I so love. (Living With The Land for LIFE) Same for Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom has its issues but I love it. Hollywood Studios was a blast. CMs seemed much less overwhelmed (not blaming DLR CMs at all, I’ve been going out of my way to be as nice as possible to them), food was WAY better, and the park just seemed to be in better shape. They also can’t have any Marvel presence in the parks which is a MAJOR plus to me.

Overall I’m just sad. I cried at the park multiple times today because it just feels like the end of an era. We work REALLY hard to be able to come and enjoy the parks, and this time I feel like I worked my butt off for nothing. It’s turning into Universal Disney Studios and I hate it. I really dislike Universal and I will not be returning to Disneyland any time soon if it keeps going in this direction.

Sorry this is an absolute novel, but there have been a couple positives. The Haunted Mansion additions are AWESOME. Seeing April-December in person at DLR brought tears to my eyes. And I adore the new Jungle Cruise. They did a great job with it. But that’s it unfortunately. Everything else is sad. Lol.

Comment

Disney has is been losing me since Walt Disney died. But they have stepped up my dislike exponentially as of late. There have been many smaller annoyances, like changing pirates from pirates into to gluttons just looking for food, to silly stuff like not actually shooting blanks with a fake gun and fake charging hippos in a fake jungle.

But being unable to say "ladies and gentlemen / boys and girls" and now I am fully done with Disney. Shall we say, Disney has jumped the shark?

Not trying to be political, or spark a debate, but just responding to the OP's comment, and answering why/how they finally lost me, just in case anyone at Disney is actually listening or paying attention.

Comment

Agreed WaltDisney'sAlec. DLR lost me as a patron years ago. (I'm a believer in voting with my wallet). The value in DLR has eroded too much - The monies I would've normally spent on DLR go a long way when buying other experiences. And I just can't vibe with the idea of subsidizing the Star Wars/Marvel expansions.

Will I ever return to DLR?
                                      Definitely yes, I will always have a special love and appreciation for the e-tickets, especially the classics.

Will I ever be a regular patron again?
                                      Not if I'm paying retail.

Comment

Originally posted by leota13 View Post
                                        I’m absolutely heartbroken that I agree, but yeah. I’m at Disneyland right now, day 2 of 3. I haven’t been since January of 2019, so I was looking forward to this trip so much. I’ve been to Disneyland about 27 times, Disney World 5. I’m just shocked at the state of the parks. I was expecting some chaos due to the last year, less CMs than usual, some ride issues, etc…but this is totally different. We usually go in the off season and stay at the Grand, but it was beyond prohibitively expensive to stay at any hotel on property (I have issues with the prices of hotels also but that’s for another post) so we’re about a block and a half away. It’s fine, but I’m really missing being able to take a break in our room midday. Also side note, I’ve been in the summer several times and expected some pretty gnarly crowds but this is BAD. Just jam packed. The parks are filthy, trash everywhere, everything looks pretty run down, animatronics and effects across the board are not working as they should.

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters that have pointed out that Disney is becoming Universal. I’m already not a Marvel fan at all, but California Adventure is becoming absolutely unrecognizable and I don’t like it. Avengers Campus looks like Universal, which is not a compliment in my book. We got a boarding group thing for Web Slingers and I was just beyond disappointed. I don’t want screens. If I wanted screens I’d go to Universal. We already have Toy Story Mania a 5 minute walk away. I’m also never ever going to get over the Tower overlay. It’s a hideous eyesore. The pacing for Tower was perfectly planned and executed, and completely changing the entire mood of the ride destroyed it IMO. I sort of like Pixar Pier but I really miss the simplicity of California Adventure. It was so nice to go and feel like I wasn’t being bombarded with IPs at every turn. If Hollywood Land was the same as it was pre-Marvel and A Bug’s Land was still there I’d probably feel differently, but the park feels incredibly disjointed and forced now. I’m also still mourning the loss of Muppets and the inevitable loss of Monsters Inc.

I also have noticed a huge change in the culture of the park. It feels like Six Flags. We get a disability pass due to some stuff I don’t feel comfortable sharing, but the amount of people that have stopped me while I was going through the line to ask how I got a “line skipper” is insane. People refuse to listen to CMs when they ask them to pause in line. People have no idea where or what anything is, and just don’t understand park etiquette. Part of my love for the parks came from the camaraderie I felt with other guests, there was generally a feeling of mutual love and respect for Disney, and a desire to keep the parks a peaceful and kind place. It’s just different now. I have been shoved countless times, people have cut in most lines we’ve been in, it’s just crazy.

The IPs are too much. I miss the educational rides, the imaginative new experiences. Now they’re just slapping IPs on stuff and making sure there are 50 merchandise stands nearby. Galaxy’s Edge has the same problem, but I’m less critical of it…probably because I’m a hypocrite. I think RotR is absolutely incredible and it feels like a true Disney experience to me. Smuggler’s Run hits the Star Tours spot (still miss Rex and the old Star Tours). It’s a gorgeous land, but it still makes me sad. I guess it’s less jarring because Star Wars has had a presence in the park for my entire life.

We went to Disney World in May (yes we saved up over the entire pandemic for our return) and honestly…I prefer Disney World. EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are two of my favorite parks ever. EPCOT still has some of the educational, IP free experiences that I so love. (Living With The Land for LIFE) Same for Animal Kingdom. Magic Kingdom has its issues but I love it. Hollywood Studios was a blast. CMs seemed much less overwhelmed (not blaming DLR CMs at all, I’ve been going out of my way to be as nice as possible to them), food was WAY better, and the park just seemed to be in better shape. They also can’t have any Marvel presence in the parks which is a MAJOR plus to me.

Overall I’m just sad. I cried at the park multiple times today because it just feels like the end of an era. We work REALLY hard to be able to come and enjoy the parks, and this time I feel like I worked my butt off for nothing. It’s turning into Universal Disney Studios and I hate it. I really dislike Universal and I will not be returning to Disneyland any time soon if it keeps going in this direction.

Sorry this is an absolute novel, but there have been a couple positives. The Haunted Mansion additions are AWESOME. Seeing April-December in person at DLR brought tears to my eyes. And I adore the new Jungle Cruise. They did a great job with it. But that’s it unfortunately. Everything else is sad. Lol.
                                        This is really disheartening and sad to read, but I feel like I would feel the exact same way if I went to Disneyland this year. In recent years I much prefer it to Disney World. Mostly because it’s so easy to park hop, no need to cram on and wait for a bus. Staying at a good neighbor hotel is very convenient and nice being able to walk to and from the park. Lastly, the fastpasses were reminiscent of how it was at Disney World during the “good ole days.” Now most of those things are either unavailable and or too expensive. I knew I wanted to wait a little bit and read about what the general feel of the parks were after reopening. That and for crowds to die down. I was willing to experience a modified trip but now that I think about it, it just doesn’t feel like it’s worth it. Disney World might be the better option overall, but reasons similar to my hesitation with going back to Disneyland as well as completely different ones keep me from going there as well. Here’s to hoping and praying things get back to normal soon.

Comment

I have to wonder if Disney is using the abrupt changes brought on by the pandemic to advance a planned culture change within the parks, a plan they originally intended to implement more slowly over time. That culture change is one of customer expectation.

It seems that Disney is setting a new standard for a new generation, one where Disney spends less money and provides a lesser experience. Over time, the younger generation knows no different, so they don't complain. The lesser experience becomes the norm over time. The older generation stops visiting due to age or the lower standards at the parks, thus they stop complaining. Disney isn't bothered by the loss of revenue from the older generation, because the company is spending less while bringing in more money from the younger generation who isn't complaining. It is truly sad.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X