Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd never thought I'd say this, but Disney is losing me...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    Without diving into politics, the move of employees is not a surprise, as Disney is on better terms with Florida over California currently....
    Apparently so:

    Walt Disney Co. to get $580-million tax break for moving California jobs to Florida

    Los Angeles Times
    July 23, 2021

    Walt Disney Co. expects to receive nearly $580 million in tax credits for moving about 2,000 California jobs to Florida.

    The Burbank-based media giant applied for and was approved to receive an estimated $578 million in credits from the state of Florida over the next 19 years, according to documents obtained from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. The credits are for building and operating a regional campus near Lake Nona to house the roughly 2,000 workers.

    The tax credit application was submitted Dec. 26, 2019, and approved Feb. 10, 2020, according to documents viewed by The Times. Disney announced the plan to move 2,000 California jobs to Florida last week. The company described Florida as having a “business friendly climate” and said the new facility would help consolidate operations and promote collaboration among staff.

    The approval of the tax credit was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

    In a statement, Disney said it was “utilizing an existing incentive offered by the state of Florida in the development of the new regional hub where we will be bringing more than 2,000 professional roles to central Florida and making a sizable investment in this community where we have a long standing presence and commitment.”...

    The positions that will be moved to the Lake Nona campus include jobs in digital technology, finance, communications, human resources and product development, Disney officials said. Most of the Glendale-based Imagineers — the staff who design theme park attractions — will be moved to the Florida campus, Disney officials said.

    Disney said in the application that it had considered building the regional campus in the Burbank-Glendale area, New York City and Bristol, Conn., but the company’s decision to move to Florida was influenced by the state incentives, affordable housing, low or no state income taxes and “excellent schools that are not at capacity, proper commuter roads and transportation services, etc.”

    Still, the application said Disney recognizes that the move could mean losing key executives to competitors and “critical talent unwilling to relocate.”

    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

    - Walt Disney

    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

    "It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post


      Quote of the year.


      I agree. This is exactly the reason why I'm making certain things around our house to remind me of how things used to be. I'm making the fireflies from POTC ride to place out in the backyard as a comfort piece. I'm also on the same page as what the OP stated, too. The magic and mystique is getting steadily removed, and it is starting to feel like the "other" amusement parks.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

        Apparently so:

        Walt Disney Co. to get $580-million tax break for moving California jobs to Florida

        Los Angeles Times
        July 23, 2021

        Walt Disney Co. expects to receive nearly $580 million in tax credits for moving about 2,000 California jobs to Florida.

        The Burbank-based media giant applied for and was approved to receive an estimated $578 million in credits from the state of Florida over the next 19 years, according to documents obtained from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. The credits are for building and operating a regional campus near Lake Nona to house the roughly 2,000 workers.

        The tax credit application was submitted Dec. 26, 2019, and approved Feb. 10, 2020, according to documents viewed by The Times. Disney announced the plan to move 2,000 California jobs to Florida last week. The company described Florida as having a “business friendly climate” and said the new facility would help consolidate operations and promote collaboration among staff.

        The approval of the tax credit was first reported by the Orlando Sentinel.

        In a statement, Disney said it was “utilizing an existing incentive offered by the state of Florida in the development of the new regional hub where we will be bringing more than 2,000 professional roles to central Florida and making a sizable investment in this community where we have a long standing presence and commitment.”...

        The positions that will be moved to the Lake Nona campus include jobs in digital technology, finance, communications, human resources and product development, Disney officials said. Most of the Glendale-based Imagineers — the staff who design theme park attractions — will be moved to the Florida campus, Disney officials said.

        Disney said in the application that it had considered building the regional campus in the Burbank-Glendale area, New York City and Bristol, Conn., but the company’s decision to move to Florida was influenced by the state incentives, affordable housing, low or no state income taxes and “excellent schools that are not at capacity, proper commuter roads and transportation services, etc.”

        Still, the application said Disney recognizes that the move could mean losing key executives to competitors and “critical talent unwilling to relocate.”
        There many Business move .......operation , to other state because is much cheaper and mostly state income taxes.
        Be truthful many company have pick up and move out California because of TAX reason and getting hard deal with the state.
        Sound like Good deal for Disney and not surprising nether !
        It SAD......but that the fact
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

        Comment


        • Somewhere even I must admit Disney is losing me on is pretty much any restaurant that requires a reservation, specifically the Blue Bayou. Once one of my favorite places to enjoy, it's become seemingly impossible to snag a reservation for as even now, the furthest possible reservation dates are totally filled up and they continue to fill up each early morning. If one of the latest Micechat articles is to be believed, then Disney doesn't plan to increase the restaurant's capacity back any time soon (thus making time slots even harder to come by). Unfortunately for Guests like me, this means I'm about ready to resign myself to the fact that I'll never be able to experience anything other than a quick service meal in the parks ever again. I just don't feel like waking up every morning at 3am to try and fight a bunch of folks who just happen to be wanting to pick a random weekday in September, too.

          Oddly enough, this has been a recurring issue with me and other restaurants. As an example, my wife and I will be leaving for Maui in a few weeks and a few months back we tried to book a reservation for the popular Mama's Fish House but they were already filled for the Summer at the time. I tried to call and inquire if more reservations might open up as capacity increases in their state but after days of failing to get ahold of someone, I finally reached a team member who told me that they had no plans to ever return to original capacity because they liked the layout with less people in it and that it made the experience "more special for people who did manage to get in". I know Disney will blame staffing for their situation if you were to probe into it but I can't help but wonder if there is some sort of similar mindset between the two places (being that, actually, they just don't wanna). Because on our last trip riding Pirates, Blue Bayou was pretty much empty (2 or 3 parties dining with tons of empty tables) despite being "fully booked" for the day.

          Sadly it just means that for Guests like me, we'll likely never get in at all. Whether it's Blue Bayou or someplace else that seems to want to keep their staff down post-COVID.

          Comment


          • I concur with OP…
            I am old. But still love Disneyland.

            Comment


            • It not that Fans left Today Disney

              Disney and Today Leadership , left the Fans be hide , for WALL STREET and "them self" !

              And I also many other , realize ..........
              There More to Life than Disney
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                Somewhere even I must admit Disney is losing me on is pretty much any restaurant that requires a reservation, specifically the Blue Bayou. Once one of my favorite places to enjoy, it's become seemingly impossible to snag a reservation for as even now, the furthest possible reservation dates are totally filled up and they continue to fill up each early morning. If one of the latest Micechat articles is to be believed, then Disney doesn't plan to increase the restaurant's capacity back any time soon (thus making time slots even harder to come by). Unfortunately for Guests like me, this means I'm about ready to resign myself to the fact that I'll never be able to experience anything other than a quick service meal in the parks ever again. I just don't feel like waking up every morning at 3am to try and fight a bunch of folks who just happen to be wanting to pick a random weekday in September, too.

                Oddly enough, this has been a recurring issue with me and other restaurants. As an example, my wife and I will be leaving for Maui in a few weeks and a few months back we tried to book a reservation for the popular Mama's Fish House but they were already filled for the Summer at the time. I tried to call and inquire if more reservations might open up as capacity increases in their state but after days of failing to get ahold of someone, I finally reached a team member who told me that they had no plans to ever return to original capacity because they liked the layout with less people in it and that it made the experience "more special for people who did manage to get in". I know Disney will blame staffing for their situation if you were to probe into it but I can't help but wonder if there is some sort of similar mindset between the two places (being that, actually, they just don't wanna). Because on our last trip riding Pirates, Blue Bayou was pretty much empty (2 or 3 parties dining with tons of empty tables) despite being "fully booked" for the day.

                Sadly it just means that for Guests like me, we'll likely never get in at all. Whether it's Blue Bayou or someplace else that seems to want to keep their staff down post-COVID.
                Businesses that are enamored by being able to exploit their customers and shrink their own costs while increasing their profit are about to get comfortable with it just as the customers realize their options have grown and their wallets have shrunk. These businesses that tried to "take advantage" (read exploit) of a consumer surge will realize they ran their business off a cliff with this decision as they close their doors for the last time.

                I have a relative who is a co-founder of a fairly successful restaurant chain. He was at first moaning because he couldn't find enough workers because everyone wanted to be paid more (read: fairly.) Once he was able to overcome that he then had issue because if he staffed up to meet the current demand it would put him in a bad situation when he inevitably had to lay off a chunk of his work force as things returned to normal of which he is already seeing.
                Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Starcade View Post

                  Businesses that are enamored by being able to exploit their customers and shrink their own costs while increasing their profit are about to get comfortable with it just as the customers realize their options have grown and their wallets have shrunk.
                  So TRUE...........
                  In fact it not the money that get me upset with Businesses
                  It is more about the concept being exploit.......for money $ Greed $
                  Such as getting less and paying more !

                  That why with others on the board ,I say
                  "VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET"'
                  IMO
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                    Somewhere even I must admit Disney is losing me on is pretty much any restaurant that requires a reservation, specifically the Blue Bayou. Once one of my favorite places to enjoy, it's become seemingly impossible to snag a reservation for as even now, the furthest possible reservation dates are totally filled up and they continue to fill up each early morning..
                    Another casualty due to needing your phone for most things now.

                    It used to be, that if you wanted a Reservation at the BB, you could only get it the day you were in the Park. Gates opened and you made a mad dash to the BB to book a Reservation. None of this sitting at home, making a Reservation days, weeks, and months in advance.
                    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives.”

                    DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                    WDW Trips: '81
                    EPCOT Trips: '93
                    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

                    Comment


                    • Yeah I am in the exact same boat. I was a Disneyland diehard fan. I used to live in Northern California and I would come down twice a year since I was a kid. I now live in Long Beach and two years ago I decided I was done being an AP holder.

                      I guess it started the day I tried to renew my pass and I was 1 day late from being grandfathered in to include parking on the lower tier pass. They refused to renew my pass, although in the past I was able to renew it late (knowing that I lost the week or two I was late, which is fine) but the one day late no Bueno thing really rubbed me the wrong way. My girlfriend had already renewed hers and we previously promised "one final year" as we were getting sick of the crowds. So I decided to fork over the cash for the Premium passport so I can have parking included, expecting to get a new AP in the mail. Much to my surprise, I had to use my old one. Not a huge deal, but it's about the principle. "No no, your old pass isn't good anymore, but you can still have the privileges just give us 4x the money. Oh, and we're too cheap to print out a cool 10 cent AP card and mail it to you". This was the straw that broke the camels back.

                      Salt in the wound are the changes being made. Now, I don't want to get in the politics of it, but if you're going to take out Tower of Terror or Splash mountain thats fine with me. Demolish it and create something completely brand new. But just like my Annual Pass, they went the cheap route of keeping the material structure intact and pretending to make it "better".

                      It's a sad joke when they say they want to make the park "more inclusive. The hell they do. It's all just a marketing ploy so they can advertise "Oh look how proper and kind we are to everyone". They don't care about people of color, they don't care about inclusion. They've still got sweatshops overseas, and of course what's going on right now with laying off 28,000 employees DESPITE getting $500 million from the CARES act.

                      These clowns are taking tax payer money, breaking their promise to employees and offering lower wages/removing their seniority to returning employees, claiming they have "new rides" that are just sad caricatures of the old rides, all in a theme park that offers a $100 sandwich. I'm good!

                      I'm at the point where the only thing that would make me want to return is the lovely Trader Sams Tiki Bar, and even that is a joke because they won't validate parking so if thats all you want to do you gotta park in the structure ($25) or pay $14/hour for a spot in downtown Disney's parking..

                      Comment


                      • I learn that _______
                        "Disney is a Want - NOT a NEED"
                        ,and at this point , I do not Need them!
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                        Comment


                        • Besides gawking at the beautiful photos, reading this week's Dateline Disneyland gave me an eerie feeling.

                          https://www.micechat.com/298385-date...orious-images/

                          This article does a really fine job at highlighting just about how much remains closed (or where work is at a standstill), and signals which COVID protocols are here to stay (reservations, scheduled park hops; etc).

                          The fate of Fantasmic, or any live entertainment feels dismal. Is staffing affecting these types of events from going forward, or is it something to do with cost? It's also proving difficult to view anything without the context of Chapek, which is making certain absences feel more like losses at this point.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                            Besides gawking at the beautiful photos, reading this week's Dateline Disneyland gave me an eerie feeling.

                            https://www.micechat.com/298385-date...orious-images/

                            This article does a really fine job at highlighting just about how much remains closed (or where work is at a standstill), and signals which COVID protocols are here to stay (reservations, scheduled park hops; etc).

                            The fate of Fantasmic, or any live entertainment feels dismal. Is staffing affecting these types of events from going forward, or is it something to do with cost? It's also proving difficult to view anything without the context of Chapek, which is making certain absences feel more like losses at this point.
                            Considering the amount of entertainment at Knott's and Uni (including former DLR entertainers), it's another indication that the Chapek regime is continuing to slash the staffing budget. They'll keep doing it as long as attendance doesn't drop at DLR while holding steady or increasing at Knott's, Universal and Six Flags. And even then, they'll likely try to lure back the crowds with "special" events and other come-ons before resorting to hiring.
                            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

                            - Walt Disney

                            "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

                            "It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by stovk View Post

                              Another casualty due to needing your phone for most things now.

                              It used to be, that if you wanted a Reservation at the BB, you could only get it the day you were in the Park. Gates opened and you made a mad dash to the BB to book a Reservation. None of this sitting at home, making a Reservation days, weeks, and months in advance.
                              THIS RIGHT HERE. I was celebrating my birthday this past trip in July and badly wanted to secure a reservation at Blue Bayou to treat myself to a nice meal. I was on the app DAILY sometimes multiple times hoping someone would cancel and a reservation would become available. But I was out of luck. I did however manage to secure a Carthay Circle reservation which helped make up for it.


                              Facebook me!
                              Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post

                                THIS RIGHT HERE. I was celebrating my birthday this past trip in July and badly wanted to secure a reservation at Blue Bayou to treat myself to a nice meal. I was on the app DAILY sometimes multiple times hoping someone would cancel and a reservation would become available. But I was out of luck. I did however manage to secure a Carthay Circle reservation which helped make up for it.
                                "HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY" !
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

                                  "HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY" !
                                  Why thank you! It was still a really wonderful time with more magic than I could have ever expected


                                  Facebook me!
                                  Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

                                  Comment


                                  • Two quotes from the comments section in yesterday's MiceChat Update, "Disney’s Mixed 3rd Quarter Results & Difficult Questions" (emphasis mine)...

                                    Originally posted by Dusty MiceChat Sage
                                    We are just on the edge of what could be a crisis of creativity for the company. When hundreds of creatives all suddenly leave the company in the next year as operations shift to Florida, and at the same time the number crunchers further force guests into apps and movies into streaming platforms, we will see a shift in what Disney as a brand has become. Some of it could be good for the long run, but the loss of creativity can't be good for an entertainment company. It's easy to coast when you are flying high, but once you crash, it's awful hard to get airborne again. If Roy Disney were still alive, I'd bet he'd be preparing another Save Disney movement.
                                    Originally posted by Dusty MiceChat Sage
                                    How happy will the shareholders be when Disney's popularity and profits collapse because they become void of creativity and bereft of entertainment? The focus on technology over creativity and profits over entertainment is the antithesis of what Disney stands for and could irreparably damage the brand. Then the shareholders will be screaming as the stock price plummets. In short, you have to do what is right for your company and not just look at short term gains for shareholders.


                                    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-13-2021, 01:04 PM.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                                    - Walt Disney

                                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

                                    "It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                      Two quotes from the comments section in yesterday's MiceChat Update, "Disney’s Mixed 3rd Quarter Results & Difficult Questions" (emphasis mine)...
                                      Originally posted by Dusty MiceChat Sage
                                      We are just on the edge of what could be a crisis of creativity for the company. When hundreds of creatives all suddenly leave the company in the next year as operations shift to Florida, and at the same time the number crunchers further force guests into apps and movies into streaming platforms, we will see a shift in what Disney as a brand has become. Some of it could be good for the long run, but the loss of creativity can't be good for an entertainment company. It's easy to coast when you are flying high, but once you crash, it's awful hard to get airborne again. If Roy Disney were still alive, I'd bet he'd be preparing another Save Disney movement.

                                      Originally posted by Dusty MiceChat Sage
                                      How happy will the shareholders be when Disney's popularity and profits collapse because they become void of creativity and bereft of entertainment? The focus on technology over creativity and profits over entertainment is the antithesis of what Disney stands for and could irreparably damage the brand. Then the shareholders will be screaming as the stock price plummets. In short, you have to do what is right for your company and not just look at short term gains for shareholders.


                                      I have say.....I agree with DUSTY............
                                      I know ,I be for another Save Disney movement !
                                      For Now ,I VOTE NO with my Wallet ! IMO
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                      Comment


                                      • Abigail Disney is still around and was angry at Iger's excessive compensation enough that shareholders rejected a compensation package for him once. But there was really no excuse to oust Iger since he was leading the company in a more stable and successful direction when compared to the rest of the entertainment industry.

                                        If Chapek wastes the golden goose, I would fully support a vote of no confidence from the board and with her backing the change.

                                        Comment


                                        • I would like to see Abigail Disney take a leadership role. I'm not sure if she has any interest, but the parks have been getting off track for a while and from what I've heard, she is about the only voice of reason.

                                          I have a big trip to WDW planned later this year--maybe my last, or at least my last for a very long time. As for DLR...for the time being, I still have at least 1 trip planned for this year. I really enjoyed how things were when it first reopened after covid. But everything I hear is that it's back to miserable crowds and price gouging. I love Disney, but I am really looking at other ways I can spend my money right now.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X