Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken Potrock - "The days of us packing so many people into this park are over"

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    "Iceberg ahead!!!" - DLR Fans

    "Full Steam ahead let's ram it!" - chapek

    "Yes Sir, let me say how happy I am to increase the knots sir!" - potrock

    "Head to the life boats, abandon ship!!" - Imagineering and studio talent
    Not so fast! Did you mobile order a reservation for those life boats? - Chapek
    Big Thunder Ranch > Galaxys Edge

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by bigthunda View Post

      not so fast! Did you mobile order a reservation for those life boats? - chapek
      lmfao!
      Last edited by Starcade; 07-22-2021, 02:02 PM.
      Disneyland Fan since the 70's

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
        ...I've heard the term "legendary Disney service" but honestly, compared to real 4 and 5 star quality, Disney has never matched in quality, service, or even price.

        Disney, at its best, make me feel their service is magical.

        Ritz-Carlton makes me feel magical.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Starcade View Post
          "Iceberg ahead!!!" - DLR Fans

          "Full Steam ahead let's ram it!" - chapek

          "Yes Sir, let me say how happy I am to increase the knots sir!" - potrock

          "Head to the life boats, abandon ship!!" - Imagineering and studio talent
          Laughing.........I think Bob also abandon the "Life Boat"
          imo
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Mort View Post


            Disney, at its best, make me feel their service is magical.

            Ritz-Carlton makes me feel magical.
            Well said.
            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Starcade View Post
              I have zero respect for ken as during all of chapek's destruction he has seemed more than willing to do chapek's bidding and even celebrate it at times.
              My view on Potrock is mixed. While his alleged statement will likely age poorly (and be added to the list of Foolish Quotes by Disney Executives), at least he has a noticable presence in the resort. Compare this to past presidents, like Ed Grier and Catherine Powell, who barely made any appearances, except some random ones and PR events. In addition, he actually has experience in Disney's Travel Industry, which is something that Chapek ironically didn't have when he was made Parks' head.

              But, his resume also covers "products". Potrock led the (somewhat controversial) rebrand of WDW's Downtown Disney to Disney Springs. And while he worked for the Disney Cruise Line, it was for....marketing.

              Weirdly enough, last year before D'Amaro was promoted to Parks head, I was actually concerned that Potrock may be tapped as Chapek's successor for Parks head, despite never running a park. Granted, this was before he was promoted to DLR president.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
                A couple of things:

                You can ration demand through time and money. So if they want less crowds, raise the price, or limit the number of guests per day (assuming demand is high enough)

                The other part is, what is the quality of product/service received for said money? Is it worth it?

                Currently, I don't find any of Disney's offerings worth the price. The quality from hotels, to experience, to food is simply not there for the cost.

                The best hotel in Disney's domestic portfolio is Aulani (IMO) We just returned from a long stay in Hawaii and visited some friends at the Aulani. Aulani is priced the similarly as park hotels but the experience is nicer and you are in Hawaii. (the pool area is fun)

                and yet, I think its overpriced for quality and service. I could go to the Four Seasons and get the same price and there is no comparison between a Four Seasons and any domestic Disney property.

                I am wondering who Disney is marketing to? I do not think it is the upper end, but more to lower-mid market aspirational who might not know what a Four Seasons level of service or quality is because they've never experienced it themselves.

                So they assume Disney is the "gold standard" for service and quality

                I've heard the term "legendary Disney service" but honestly, compared to real 4 and 5 star quality, Disney has never matched in quality, service, or even price.
                Service Wise I agree but ride wise Star Wars ROTS is out of this world, I have NEVER seen a negative review for that ride. So if you have never been on it the price of a ticket is worth it. If you have then I agree but also Mickey's new ride is top tier quality as well and gives people a reason to come back

                But service wise, yes Disney really sucks right now compared to even ten years ago.
                Happy Halloween!!!

                Comment


                • #28
                  OK, I’ll be Pollyanna and take his words at face value.

                  My (serious) question is therefore; Does he have the corporate autonomy/authority to set the max capacity number?
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                    OK, I’ll be Pollyanna and take his words at face value.

                    My (serious) question is therefore; Does he have the corporate autonomy/authority to set the max capacity number?
                    Hypothetically, yes as he is the resort president. However...

                    1. The Fire Marshall sets the maximum capacity limit. Disney can NOT legally add more guests into the parks, once the Fire code limit has been reached.

                    2. If his superiors, Chapek or D'Amaro, told him to lower or increase the Disney's set capacity, then he would likely have to oblige. They can't tell him to raise the capacity past the Fire Code limit, which as I said before, would be against the law.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Share price for Disney today is $176. Up one dollar. Just off an all time high of approx $200 per share.
                      --
                      http://www.bewaterwise.com

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

                        Hypothetically, yes as he is the resort president. However...

                        1. The Fire Marshall sets the maximum capacity limit. Disney can NOT legally add more guests into the parks, once the Fire code limit has been reached.

                        2. If his superiors, Chapek or D'Amaro, told him to lower or increase the Disney's set capacity, then he would likely have to oblige. They can't tell him to raise the capacity past the Fire Code limit, which as I said before, would be against the law.

                        I knew about #1 and wouldn’t expect he could exceed that limit. My curiosity was whether it not he had the final say as far as setting capacity strictly to lower crowds. But it sounds to me as if he really doesn’t have the autonomy if Chapek or D’Amaro can (and probably would) overrule him.

                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Nobody at Ken's level has autonomy.

                          Nobody gets to Ken's level by acting as if they even want autonomy, much less exercising it.

                          As a 25-year veteran of the Company, Ken knows the rules.

                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

                          - Walt Disney

                          "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

                          "It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            Nobody at Ken's level has autonomy.

                            Nobody gets to Ken's level by acting as if they even want autonomy, much less exercising it.

                            As a 25-year veteran of the Company, Ken knows the rules.
                            TWDC has a definite culture where your ability to plant lips on cheeks will take you farther than your ability to bring visionary ideas to the table.
                            Disneyland Fan since the 70's

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                              TWDC has a definite culture where your ability to plant lips on cheeks will take you farther than your ability to bring visionary ideas to the table.
                              Yep. Lips on cheeks confirm the hierarchy and proclaim the team player. Visionary ideas cost money and can scare people.

                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

                              - Walt Disney

                              "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

                              "It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                As a 25-year veteran of the Company, Ken knows the rules.
                                ........He Better.......
                                I sure Ken can see the EXIT door and still like a pay check

                                ~~~~~YES Bob-YES Bob- YES Bob~~~~~~lol

                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  WOW! Just wow! SOOOOOOOOOO much basic business ignorance here in so many posts!

                                  ....bigger crowds don't bring in more money if the revenue per guest is lower. Chapek is simply saying he intends to grow the top line with fewer guests by getting a LOT more per guest.

                                  All of the jaded, snide, cynical distrust that he's lying and will pack 'em in anyway no matter what he's saying COMPLETELY (and, sorry, ignorantly!) miss the basic economic reality that big crowds COST Disney more per guest because of crowd management/headaches and yet the revenue per guests is lower!

                                  Chapek's smartly reversing that: by keeping crowds lighter Disney's cost per guest will decrease and Disney's revenue per guest will increase...

                                  ...and all without packing in the crowds that so many here are sure he'll do anyway.

                                  We need to face the very real prospect that APs as we knew them are truly gone forever and you're going to have to pay $100+ every time you visit Walt Disney's playground.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by vnormth View Post
                                    WOW! Just wow! SOOOOOOOOOO much basic business ignorance here in so many posts!

                                    ....bigger crowds don't bring in more money if the revenue per guest is lower. Chapek is simply saying he intends to grow the top line with fewer guests by getting a LOT more per guest.

                                    All of the jaded, snide, cynical distrust that he's lying and will pack 'em in anyway no matter what he's saying COMPLETELY (and, sorry, ignorantly!) miss the basic economic reality that big crowds COST Disney more per guest because of crowd management/headaches and yet the revenue per guests is lower!

                                    Chapek's smartly reversing that: by keeping crowds lighter Disney's cost per guest will decrease and Disney's revenue per guest will increase...

                                    ...and all without packing in the crowds that so many here are sure he'll do anyway.
                                    Reality check:

                                    - Disney has been lowering the CM/guest ratio for years, at the same time they were increasing daily crowds, because bigger crowds handled by fewer employees is more economically efficient.

                                    - Bigger crowds that pay higher admission prices are the best profit-maker of all.

                                    - Anyone who believes Disney's PR about "lowering crowds to increase guest satisfaction," I have swamp land in Florida, desert acreage in Arizona, and a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

                                    - Walt Disney

                                    "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

                                    "It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                      Reality check:

                                      - Disney has been lowering the CM/guest ratio for years, at the same time they were increasing daily crowds, because bigger crowds handled by fewer employees are more economically efficient.

                                      - Bigger crowds that pay higher admission prices are the best profit-maker of all.

                                      - Anyone who believes Disney's PR about "lowering crowds to increase guest satisfaction," I have swamp land in Florida, desert acreage in Arizona, and a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
                                      It's a deal: Meet me here at 2022 year-end: If average daily attendance is more than 15% less than it was in 2019 than I'll buy whatever desert and swamp you own. Otherwise you'll owe us all a very public "D'OH! I'M WRONG YET AGAIN" on this forum.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        I take Disney "PR" matter what it is , with a gain a salt........
                                        To me it has become , a "Joke Book" most of time IMO
                                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by vnormth View Post

                                          We need to face the very real prospect that APs as we knew them are truly gone forever and you're going to have to pay $100+ every time you visit Walt Disney's playground.
                                          I'd be happy to pay $100+ to visit Walt Disney's playground, but alas, it does not exist anymore, except in our memories.

                                          - CM's who are loved and respected by their employer
                                          - Unique food and beverage offerings of high quality
                                          - Live music, performers, and entertainment around every corner
                                          - Spotless and flawless park management where lights are replaced before they ever burn out and paint refreshed before it ever shows a flaw
                                          - Rides so creative and inspiring that they spawn their own franchises rather than the other way around
                                          - World class amenities second to none
                                          - A tireless dedication to innovation and excellence by management

                                          Yes, Walt's Playground, I miss it, I wish I could visit it in real life, but it doesn't exist anymore. DLR has become Chapek's IP carnival and trinket bazaar.

                                          Comment

                                          Get Away Today Footer

                                          Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X